PDA

View Full Version : Best Ballparks for Fans

Mr. White Sox
09-01-2005, 12:41 AM
Well, at least we're not ranked last... (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/08/31/fvi/index.html)
This is all according to SI.com

SouthSide_HitMen
09-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Here is my personal list from ballparks I have been to:

American League

1. Old Comiskey Park A+
2. Fenway Park A+
3. Tiger Stadium A+
4. Yankee Stadium A
5. Comiskular Park A
6. Royals Stadium A -
7. Safeco Field B +
8. Jacobs Field B +
9. Comerica Park B +
10. Camden Yards B
11. Skydome F
12. Metrodome F

National League

1. Wrigley Field A
2. PNC Park A -
3. Busch Stadium B
4. Milwaukee County Stadium B
5. Turner Field C
6. New Philly Stadium C
7. Olympic Stadium C
8. Shea Stadium C -
9. Three Rivers Stadium D
10. RFK Stadium D
11. Riverfront Stadium D -
12. Miller Park F
13. Veterans Stadium F
Never attended - Florida, Texas or California Stadiums nor Arizona or Colorado.

FJA
09-01-2005, 07:28 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/baseball/mlb/08/31/fvi.whitesox/index.html

If you click on the team name, you can get the breakdown.

Anyone want to take a guess where we lost the most points?

You guessed it - the neighborhood, where we ranked lower than Detroit and the area surrounding RFK. The asphalt neighborhood surrounding Miller Park in Milwaukee even ranked higher! The only other stadiums with a "1" in neighborhood ranking are Shea and Kaufman. I'll also mention that there is a crack about the dangerousness of the neighborhood when they talk about parking in Bridgeport. See for yourself ... what a bunch of idiots.

SoxFan78
09-01-2005, 08:55 AM
It's a family atmosphere for the most part. However, a blue-collar, South Side element remains -- as evidenced by the incidents involving fans running onto the field a few years ago. -- Marty Burns

Two years later and they are still bringing this up!!!!

TommyJohn
09-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Two years later and they are still bringing this up!!!!

And of course, we know that all blue-collar south siders are roughnecks and
hooligans.

I'm so tired of this. It isn't even worth getting mad about anymore. What can
you do except hope that these *******s just........errrrgh

billnahorodny
09-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Interesting that the shrine gets a 7 for accessibility due to the red line, which brings you right to the door of the hallowed shrine. Meanwhile, they give the Cell a 6 which not only has the same red line but also the green line, as well as a location adjacent to the expressway and abundant parking. :rolleyes:

UofCSoxFan
09-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Ok....I should have stopped reading when I saw they had Miller Park Ranked number 1. I've been to 3 games there and would say that the only park I've been to that was worse is the Metrodome. First of all you can't walk around the entire stadium (the outfield bleachers are sectioned off). The food is ok but extremely expensive...even for a stadium...and if you don't like Miller you are screwed. Parking is a nightmare as they funnel all the traffic out one gate. One time I was there it took an hour and a half just to leave the parking lot. The team sucks. "A casual laissez faire attittude" from the fans should not be seen as a good thing. And the fact that they opened and closed the roof, just to show it off to the fans (I mean c'mon, people are actually into this) makes this just a crappy park.

And its number 1.

Oh, and don't let my insurance company know that I park my car all the time in Bridgeport...my rates may go through the roof.

daveeym
09-01-2005, 10:20 AM
The "steps away" fro the redline was a crack at the neighborhood too. They also slipped the cubs a 4 on team performance while the brew crew got a 3 and they're 2 games up on the scrubs. It must be the difference in the players to see part of the team. Bunch of great exciting players up there, they just are burdened with the curse as a team.

C-Dawg
09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
From its old brick fašade to the ivy covering the outfield walls, Wrigley Field is baseball's crown jewel. On a warm sunny day it doesn't get any better. The crowd is a mixture of yuppies, kids and grandmas. Half the time they're not watching the game, but who cares?

Kids and grandmas? Gimme a break, they should have said that about OUR park instead. People who are NOT in their 20s and 30s are conspicuous by their very SMALL numbers at Wrigley. Seriously! Either due to the bad parking, the high prices, the drunken atmosphere, whatever... Wrigley does NOT cater to families.

spiffie
09-01-2005, 11:22 AM
I do find it funny that for all the supposed beauty and charm of Wrigley and the hard-edged frightening ghetto mixed with shopping mall charm of The Cell that somehow even according to this rag we come in 2 points below them. Which when you consider that all they can sell is the park and the neighborhood, seems to show just how little they really have up there.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Ok....I should have stopped reading when I saw they had Miller Park Ranked number 1. I've been to 3 games there and would say that the only park I've been to that was worse is the Metrodome. First of all you can't walk around the entire stadium (the outfield bleachers are sectioned off). The food is ok but extremely expensive...even for a stadium...and if you don't like Miller you are screwed. Parking is a nightmare as they funnel all the traffic out one gate. One time I was there it took an hour and a half just to leave the parking lot. The team sucks.

I hate Miller Park as well - on par too loud and too dark with the roof closed. I suggest people who do go there park a few blocks north of the stadium / I 94. You walk through a park and then the outer Brewers parking lot. The 20 minute walk and then jump onto 41 then 94 is at least 20 minutes and could be up to 1 hour faster than sitting through the bottleneck Miller Park parking creates.

maurice
09-01-2005, 12:55 PM
It's a family atmosphere for the most part. However, a blue-collar, South Side element remains -- as evidenced by the incidents involving fans running onto the field a few years ago.

:?:
Which one of "the incidents" involved people who live near the park?

:mainstreammedia
"Digging up actual evidence to support
smears is just way too much trouble.
It's much easier to just pull **** out of
our asses."

Brian26
09-01-2005, 01:06 PM
Interesting that the shrine gets a 7 for accessibility due to the red line, which brings you right to the door of the hallowed shrine. Meanwhile, they give the Cell a 6 which not only has the same red line but also the green line, as well as a location adjacent to the expressway and abundant parking. :rolleyes:

This is ludicrous. Wrigley is more accessible than the Cell? Good grief. :angry:

The Dude
09-01-2005, 01:22 PM
The "steps away" fro the redline was a crack at the neighborhood too. They also slipped the cubs a 4 on team performance while the brew crew got a 3 and they're 2 games up on the scrubs. It must be the difference in the players to see part of the team. Bunch of great exciting players up there, they just are burdened with the curse as a team.

:tealpolice:

Seriously though, when i clicked the thread...I assumed that SI ranked us 29th and wouldnt be surprised if they did. The neighborhood thing is such BS, but what can you expect from the great journalists at SI.

skobabe8
09-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Kids and grandmas? Gimme a break, they should have said that about OUR park instead. People who are NOT in their 20s and 30s are conspicuous by their very SMALL numbers at Wrigley. Seriously! Either due to the bad parking, the high prices, the drunken atmosphere, whatever... Wrigley does NOT cater to families.

Whats hilarious is the "Family Section" at Wrigley. You know that little sliver of seats waaay down the left field line next to the fould pole in the outfield? THATS THE FAMILY SECTION. Look on a diagram of the park and it actual says "Family Section." I'm sure the families there have a wonderful time listening to the drunks right next to them in the bleachers 3 hours a day. All very clean language.

On the other side of town, all USCF is is one big family section. It doesnt have to be one tiny section in a terrible part of the park.

HotelWhiteSox
09-01-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with Miller Park, I went for the ST game, and though I didn't circle the whole thing, I was a little disappointed for the hype that surrounds it. I always hear nice things about PNC and the Kaufman stadium

skobabe8
09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I'm not sure if I agree with Miller Park, I went for the ST game, and though I didn't circle the whole thing, I was a little disappointed for the hype that surrounds it. I always hear nice things about PNC and the Kaufman stadium

Kaufman is completely overrated. Concessions are poor. Concourse dark and dreary. Outside of stadium ugly. No neighborhood. Scoreboards below par.

But the waterfalls look nice. :cool:

TomBradley72
09-01-2005, 05:35 PM
Any survey that ranks ballparks with such a huge weighting on the "neighborhood" isn't valid in my opinion. How the heck can Oakland's dump finish ahead of the Cell or SBC Park? Miller Park is ok to me...but not #1....more middle of the pack.

My #1: SBC Park- awesome location, great ballpark, typically a solid baseball team, franchise with a rich history, great food, fans are great baseball fans...very knowledgable.

soxfan43
09-01-2005, 07:04 PM
I just hope the metro dome was rated the worst. not only is that place a dump but watching baseball being played indoors makes it seem like a movie set.

HotelWhiteSox
09-01-2005, 07:17 PM
I just hope the metro dome was rated the worst. not only is that place a dump but watching baseball being played indoors makes it seem like a movie set.

Shea Stadium. They're not even worst in the AL as Comerica Park was given that honor.

I was at Shea a couple years ago, it was opening week (mid week), the stadium was kind of empty, and people were calling their freinds saying 'same old team'. It was kind of general/bland, but I didn't mind it as much. I was in mezzanine but didn't like it because I couldn't really see the rightfield corne. I personally don't care as much about all the extra curricular stuff, if I do, I'll get their real ealry, I'm all about sitting down and watching the game

Stroker Ace
09-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Here is my personal list from ballparks I have been to:

American League

1. Old Comiskey Park A+
2. Fenway Park A+
3. Tiger Stadium A+
4. Yankee Stadium A
5. Comiskular Park A
6. Royals Stadium A -
7. Safeco Field B +
8. Jacobs Field B +
9. Comerica Park B +
10. Camden Yards B
11. Skydome F
12. Metrodome F

National League

1. Wrigley Field A
2. PNC Park A -
3. Busch Stadium B
4. Milwaukee County Stadium B
5. Turner Field C
6. New Philly Stadium C
7. Olympic Stadium C
8. Shea Stadium C -
9. Three Rivers Stadium D
10. RFK Stadium D
11. Riverfront Stadium D -
12. Miller Park F
13. Veterans Stadium F
Never attended - Florida, Texas or California Stadiums nor Arizona or Colorado.C- for Shea and an F for Miller Park?!?!?!:?:

Shea is an easy F and Miller Park is an A.

The Urinal gets an incomplete (Heard a couple of pieces have fallen off.):D:

DSpivack
09-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Shea Stadium. They're not even worst in the AL as Comerica Park was given that honor.

I was at Shea a couple years ago, it was opening week (mid week), the stadium was kind of empty, and people were calling their freinds saying 'same old team'. It was kind of general/bland, but I didn't mind it as much. I was in mezzanine but didn't like it because I couldn't really see the rightfield corne. I personally don't care as much about all the extra curricular stuff, if I do, I'll get their real ealry, I'm all about sitting down and watching the game

Shea I've never been to but from what I hear, from people such as you, it does seem a dump. However, I didn't see what was so bad about Comerica. I never made it to Tiger Stadium, but Comerica really isn't that bad--however, I liked more when I was there because the fences weren't moved in yet.

I still have to get to PNC, but SBC is by far the best park I've ever been to, in what may be the most beautiful city in the world.

Living in Atlanta, I get to Turner Field every now and then.... they call USCF bland? There's nothing really wrong with Turner but that is a bland stadium. Affordable ticket prices, however, are easy to come by [$5 upper deck seats, $12 good UD seats; good 2-for-1 student deals]. The biggest knock on USCF is the price...tickets are expensive; sure, not compared with Wrigley, Yankee, or Fenway, but still much more than most MLB stadiums.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-01-2005, 08:37 PM
C- for Shea and an F for Miller Park?!?!?!:?:

Shea is an easy F and Miller Park is an A.

The Urinal gets an incomplete (Heard a couple of pieces have fallen off.):D:

I like the older stadiums - you are closer to the action and I just like the historical aspect.

Shea has one huge advantage over Miller - there is NO DOME. The only baseball I want to watch indoors is when I am watching TV at home or at a bar or friend's house. All domes are F. Even if they can open the roof. At Miller the piped in commericals and other nonsense is too loud (esp. with the roof close). Outside of tailgating and the "secret stadium sauce" - both of which you can do / purchase outside the park, the stadium has nothing else to recommend. I liked Milwaukee County Stadium better.

Huisj
09-01-2005, 09:15 PM

This shows just how subjective these ratings can be from person to person. A few years back, didn't a guy writing for ESPN page 2 visit all the stadiums and rank them, and didn't he rank Comerica near the top? I find it utterly ridiculous that that stadium got ranked that close to the bottom. But that's my opinion, and this guy has his own opinion too I guess.

I agree too, those were a couple cheap shots the guy took at the sox for the neighborhood and for the hooligan fan comment. Is he stereotyping blue-collar working class people as all being violent out-of-control drunks who can't control themselves? I would say get a clue, moron. Why does this still get press, but similar incidents at other parks never get mentioned again after they happen? :angry:

Stroker Ace
09-01-2005, 09:37 PM
I like the older stadiums - you are closer to the action and I just like the historical aspect.

Shea has one huge advantage over Miller - there is NO DOME. The only baseball I want to watch indoors is when I am watching TV at home or at a bar or friend's house. All domes are F. Even if they can open the roof. At Miller the piped in commericals and other nonsense is too loud (esp. with the roof close). Outside of tailgating and the "secret stadium sauce" - both of which you can do / purchase outside the park, the stadium has nothing else to recommend. I liked Milwaukee County Stadium better.I see your point. I liked my only experience at Miller Park, except there was a mariachi band playing right behind us for the first 3 innings and was very annoying.

TommyJohn
09-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Why does this still get press, but similar incidents at other parks never get mentioned again after they happen? :angry:

That's the $100,000 question. Take the Pacers-Pistons riot last fall. Does any
one even mention that anymore? It makes me sick. I find it truly disgusting.

MUsoxfan
09-02-2005, 01:01 AM
I was just in Pittsburgh on Monday. These eyes have never seen a better ballpark

JohnBasedowYoda
09-02-2005, 01:02 AM

not a big miller park fan either....
nice sig

chisoxfanatic
09-02-2005, 01:22 AM
Minuses:
The 6,000 parking spaces at the stadium cost $17 apiece. But leaving your car elsewhere in the neighborhood may cost your insurance company a whole lot more.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, as a neighborhood resident, I have parked my car on those Bridgeport streets nearly all 26 games I've been to this season, and not once have I ever had any remote damage done to my car. I park on the 3400 block of S. Wells usually, right by Armour Park. There are very few streets around the ballpark I *wouldn't* feel safe to park on!

TDog
09-02-2005, 02:41 AM
I like the older stadiums - you are closer to the action and I just like the historical aspect....

I used to love Old Comiskey before I moved out West. I found the old ballparks smell bad and aren't even such a good places to watch baseball. I never thought Wrigley was special, but when I visited Anaheim and San Diego (where the old not-so-great ballpark has more recently been replaced by something nicer) I began to consider Comiskey something of a slum, although the neighborhood had nothing to do with it. Even when Anaheim was rebuilding and the ushers were wearing hard hats, the park was many times cleaner than Old Comiskey. Old Comiskey is the site of great childhood memories, but the Cell is a much better place to watch a ballgame, even from the respective upper decks.

That being said, I really don't like Miller Park. But any ballpark that is surrounded by parking lots is in the most fan-friendly of neighborhoods. If you want to drink, go to Rush Street.

C-Dawg
09-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh, as a neighborhood resident, I have parked my car on those Bridgeport streets nearly all 26 games I've been to this season, and not once have I ever had any remote damage done to my car. I park on the 3400 block of S. Wells usually, right by Armour Park. There are very few streets around the ballpark I *wouldn't* feel safe to park on!

There have been many off-days where I have driven down to Grandstand, or to the box office at the Cell, and wound up cruising through Bridgeport a little. Its nice! Lots of rehabbing and/or new construction too. Kinda neat to pass a side street and look over and see the top of the Cell in the distance... I can't help but wonder how cool it would be to live just blocks away from it.

If the railroad viaduct were located EAST of the park, maybe then people would see a bit more of the neighborhood and realize its not the "ghetto" its been made out to be. But I don't think its moving anytime soon.

Funny how in the SI listing, Miller Park got points for the surrounding parking lots - "great for tailgating" - but we didn't. Seems to work against us both ways.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-02-2005, 07:03 AM
I too have parked on the sidestreets for games, and this is NOT the same neighborhood it was 15 years ago - property values are booming, the neighborhood remains blue collar, but this "run and gun" perception is gone!
My edit - I do not mean the neighborhood was ever run and gun....but the perception that it was versus what it truly is, is something one needs to see 1st hand.

My neighbor's daughter has an apt. on Morgan, and I've been there before games with her and her brother. We've watched 4 or 5 buildings get purchased, razed or rebuilt...and all three of us have said, "we can't afford to live there!", but the places are sold!

IMO, the rebirth of IIT and the Bronzeville neighborhood is going to continue to make Bridgeport a hot real estate commodity for a long time coming. Now, if they can only spin the park to face the skyline...

RavenswoodFan
09-02-2005, 08:23 AM
This is ludicrous. Wrigley is more accessible than the Cell? Good grief. :angry:

I agree! People park as far north as Montrose and Clark to walk to the urinal!
Now thats convienence?:?:

RavenswoodFan
09-02-2005, 08:26 AM
I was just in Pittsburgh on Monday. These eyes have never seen a better ballpark

I agree, it's a real Gem. I was really impressed with it!

skobabe8
09-02-2005, 10:49 AM

I've parked in Bridgeport EVERY SINGLE GAME I'VE BEEN TO THIS YEAR. I love walking through the neighborhood to get to the park. A few weeks ago, my girlfriend and I went to an open house for one of the buildings on Princeton Ave. It was unbelievable. If only I had $200,000 for that 900 sq. foot condo, I would have dropped it in a second.

jake27
09-02-2005, 11:45 AM
ive parked kinda by the police station by the old projects every time this year expect once. this side of the expressway isnt spossed to be a great neighborhood, but ive never had any problems or felt scared, even when im alone.

D. TODD
09-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I've been to 12 parks, and Shea was by far the worst so far. I was totally unimpressed with Kaufmann stadium as well. Camden Yards was o.k., but overrated. I prefer the newer parks, so Yankee Stadium and the urinal would be low on my list also. Jacobs Field and The Cell are my favorite to this point. Turner Field, Comerica, and Coors Field were nice as well.

miker
09-02-2005, 01:54 PM
I have taken an instant poll of all the people using this computer and have ranked SI as the 30th most relevant sports magazine in the nation. Evidence indicates that ranking may drop if the poll is taken again...