PDA

View Full Version : September Callups According to Whitesox.com

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2005, 09:04 PM
New arrivals: The White Sox plan on adding catcher Raul Casanova, first baseman Ross Gload and left-handed reliever David Sanders from Charlotte when rosters officially expand to 40 on Thursday. Switch-hitting outfielder Joe Borchard, outfielder Brian Anderson and right-handed reliever Jeff Bajenaru will join the team on Tuesday, Sept. 6.

Somewhere in http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050831&content_id=1191317&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 09:07 PM
They aren't going to call up Burke? He played so great for us. This really pisses me off about our team. Jamie Burke is a guy we could really use right now. It makes no sense why he isn't going to be on the team in September.

SoxFan76
08-31-2005, 09:08 PM
No Burke, this makes me upset.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
No Jon AAdkins? I was counting on him for the stretch run.

Daver
08-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Casanova is prolly being showcased for offseason trade value, whereas Burke can be resigned as a minor league FA.

SoxFan76
08-31-2005, 09:38 PM
Casanova is prolly being showcased for offseason trade value, whereas Burke can be resigned as a minor league FA.

I see, that is very possible. Daver, what would I do without you?

buehrle4cy05
08-31-2005, 09:50 PM
Doesn't Casanova have some previous MLB experience?

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-31-2005, 09:58 PM
YES! im so excited

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Doesn't Casanova have some previous MLB experience?

Casanova hit a big pinch hit walkoff home run for the Brewers in 2002.

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2005, 10:13 PM
casanova....could he be the next jack parkmen?

"He steps into the box and does his little shimmy that makes the ladies here in Cleveland puke."

Jack Parkman: I'm the only winner on this team. The rest of 'em, they're losers. Either by choice, or by birth.

Banix12
08-31-2005, 10:14 PM

Casanova has been around awhile, I don't think his trade value would be all that high. Anybody could have had him before this season for almost nothing. My guess is that Guillen wants a third catcher and Casanova has likely played more Catcher this year than Burke has. I don't know how well he did down there but it can also just be a reward for a nice season.

I'm more confused by David Sanders, I thought we've all seen what this guy can do up here in the MLB. My guess is he is taking Adkins' spot as designated whipping boy.

kevingrt
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
Who isn't excited to see the southpaw David Sanders pitch?

How many innings do you think this kid will pitch? And how many games do you think Casanova will play in. I guess if we win this by mid-Sept. they could play a couple extra games. But interesting moves. I don't think they will affect the team at all though.

Brian26
08-31-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm more confused by David Sanders, I thought we've all seen what this guy can do up here in the MLB.

I guess you can never have too many lefties in the bullpen.

Kogs35
08-31-2005, 10:26 PM
IIRC They brought burke up, then they sent him outright to charlotte. he had to pass through waivers then except the assinment. he did. so im guessing cassenova has options left if they wanted to take him off the 40 man where as for burke they may be afraid he will leave, when they want him around. just a thought

Banix12
08-31-2005, 10:29 PM
I guess you can never have too many lefties in the bullpen.

Unless that lefty's name is Kevin Walker, then you definitely have one too many.

Banix12
08-31-2005, 10:31 PM
IIRC They brought burke up, then they sent him outright to charlotte. he had to pass through waivers then except the assinment. he did. so im guessing cassenova has options left if they wanted to take him off the 40 man where as for burke they may be afraid he will leave, when they want him around. just a thought

I'm not certain but I think Casanova was only signed through this season on a minor league contract, options should have nothing to do with it. I just think it has to do more with Casanova getting the brunt of the catcher duties in AAA while Burke has been mostly playing 3rd base.

JB98
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
I'm not certain but I think Casanova was only signed through this season on a minor league contract, options should have nothing to do with it. I just think it has to do more with Casanova getting the brunt of the catcher duties in AAA while Burke has been mostly playing 3rd base.

Casanova is a superior defensive catcher, from what I've observed. I assume that's the reason he got the nod, but it is a little surprising given that Burke has always been a favorite of Guillen.

It probably doesn't matter too much. I'm sure AJ will continue to get the overwhelming majority of the starts until we wrap up a postseason bid.

Banix12
08-31-2005, 11:03 PM
Casanova is a superior defensive catcher, from what I've observed. I assume that's the reason he got the nod, but it is a little surprising given that Burke has always been a favorite of Guillen.

It probably doesn't matter too much. I'm sure AJ will continue to get the overwhelming majority of the starts until we wrap up a postseason bid.

Actually, If I remember correctly from when he was with the Brewers he was actually rather maligned for his defense, average at best. Calls a decent game, bad throwing arm. However he did have a very good bat when he was with the brew crew. Switch hitter with some power. I wouldn't doubt though he is a bit better than Burke defensively.

Though yeah, it really doesn't matter since he'll probably get only one or two starts between now and the end of the season

Milw
08-31-2005, 11:11 PM
Casanova hasn't been in the bigs since 2002, when he split time with the Brewers and Orioles. He is a career .232 hitter.

http://www.baseballreference.com/c/casanra01.shtml

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Doesn't anybody remember Casanova's pinch hit walkoff jack in 2002 against the Astros I believe. It was a thrilling 3 run jack to the top deck of Miller Park and he just flung his bat about as high as AJ did. I will never forget that game. It was soooo exciting.

Banix12
08-31-2005, 11:19 PM
Casanova hasn't been in the bigs since 2002, when he split time with the Brewers and Orioles. He is a career .232 hitter.

http://www.baseballreference.com/c/casanra01.shtml

He's essentially a little older version of Ben Davis, though he hits with a bit more consistancy (still not consistantly for a high avg.) and tends not to strikeout at the level of Davis.

According to that he was drafted back in 1990, I didn't know he's been in baseball that long.

JB98
08-31-2005, 11:42 PM
Actually, If I remember correctly from when he was with the Brewers he was actually rather maligned for his defense, average at best. Calls a decent game, bad throwing arm. However he did have a very good bat when he was with the brew crew. Switch hitter with some power. I wouldn't doubt though he is a bit better than Burke defensively.

Though yeah, it really doesn't matter since he'll probably get only one or two starts between now and the end of the season

Well, I acknowledge that Casanova is less-than-stellar defensively. There's a reason he's been in the minors most of his career. I just think he is better than Burke. I don't have a very high opinion of Jamie's skills behind the plate.

I thought Casanova was strictly a right-handed hitter too. I'd have to look it up to be certain.

ChiSoxRowand
09-01-2005, 12:49 AM
Whats the deal on guys who are eligible for the playoff roster? Couldn't Borchard or Anderson be on the roster since we have a couple of guys on the DL now (Frank, Crede)?

Chez
09-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Casanova or Burke; it doesn't really matter who. The important thing was to add a third catcher so that Ozzie can pinch-run for A.J. in key, late inning situations.

fledgedrallycap
09-01-2005, 09:35 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ti7nKXWT3i8J:us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/american_pie_2/chris_klein/pie3.jpg"My friends call me nova....as in casanova."

maurice
09-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Well, I acknowledge that Casanova is less-than-stellar defensively. There's a reason he's been in the minors most of his career. I just think he is better than Burke. I don't have a very high opinion of Jamie's skills behind the plate.

It appears that the Sox organization shares your opinion. Remember, this is the second time this year that a journeyman passed Burke for a backup catcher spot on the MLB roster. Davis also was ahead of him, but he's injured. Thus, the Sox have Burke ranked no higher than 5th on the C depth chart. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had him ranked 6th behind Stewart.

Note: I saw Burke in Charlotte earlier this week. He was the baserunner on a play at the plate. The throw beat him, but he surprisingly did not try to take out the catcher or even slide. Rather, he came to a complete stop a couple of feet before the plate, waited for the catcher to tag him, and walked back to the dugout with his head hung low. Quite a contrast to the Torii Hunter incident.

maurice
09-01-2005, 02:19 PM
I'm more confused by David Sanders, I thought we've all seen what this guy can do up here in the MLB.

Sanders has changed his delivery since the last time he was with the Sox and has been much more effective in the second half. He now throws sidearm. (IIRC, he threw around 3/4 the last time he was up.) Sanders currently has a 3.02 ERA for Charlotte after a weak start to the season.

My guess is that Ozzie wants him as a LOOGY, since Cotts and Marte are not suited for that role. I don't have Sanders' splits, but I wouldn't be surprised if his new delivery has been effective against lefties.

RallyBowl
09-01-2005, 03:49 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:ti7nKXWT3i8J:us.movies1.yimg.com/movies.yahoo.com/images/hv/photo/movie_pix/universal_pictures/american_pie_2/chris_klein/pie3.jpg"My friends call me nova....as in casanova."

Nice.

SoxSpeed22
09-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Note: I saw Burke in Charlotte earlier this week. He was the baserunner on a play at the plate. The throw beat him, but he surprisingly did not try to take out the catcher or even slide. Rather, he came to a complete stop a couple of feet before the plate, waited for the catcher to tag him, and walked back to the dugout with his head hung low. Quite a contrast to the Torii Hunter incident.He's not the most exciting baserunner in the game?!:o:
Seriously though I would've rather seen Hunter go on the DL from fist-specific broken bones in his face than a broken ankle.

TaylorStSox
09-01-2005, 03:55 PM
He's not the most exciting baserunner in the game?!:o:
Seriously though I would've rather seen Hunter go on the DL from fist-specific broken bones in his face than a broken ankle.

For playing the game the right way?

SoxSpeed22
09-01-2005, 03:57 PM
For playing the game the right way?Before, I've been saying we should start a brawl with the Twins, but
a. It's too late, suspensions would be a problem, and
b. We're too far ahead and that the catalyst isn't there.
Also, that's why I said "Fist-specific", caused by fists.

TaylorStSox
09-01-2005, 03:59 PM
Before, I've been saying we should start a brawl with the Twins, but
a. It's too late, suspensions would be a problem, and
b. We're too far ahead and that the catalyst isn't there.
Also, that's why I said "Fist-specific", caused by fists.

It's wrong to take out the catcher at the plate in a big game, but it's right to start a brawl? lol. You should be proud of yourself.

SoxSpeed22
09-01-2005, 04:02 PM
I didn't see it, I don't know anything about the incident, but Ozzie wanted them to retaliate. Also, I'm slightly morally bankrupt and didn't mean start one at that specific game, I meant early this year. But I'm just gonna stop saying things now.
EDIT: I never said it was wrong to run over a catcher, but I'm saying that his bully-boy antics deserved retaliation and attitude change means responding to this kind of thing.

HotelWhiteSox
09-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Thank God for the signing of AJ, nothing against Widger, he's been nice this year, but as a backup. Burke/Davis and Widger tandem throughout the whole year? Yikes. Kenny Williams is awesome

maurice
09-02-2005, 01:37 PM
Sanders has changed his delivery since the last time he was with the Sox and has been much more effective in the second half. He now throws sidearm.

More (http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep02.html) info on this:
If anything, Sanders thought his days in the organization might be coming to a close. He struggled to open the season and went to drastic measures to find his form. ''I felt like I was improving all year,'' Sanders said. ''I started off kind of slow, but I changed my mechanics halfway through the season and felt like I got better and better through the year. I've been real happy with it.''