View Full Version : *Official* Well August is over Postgame thread

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-31-2005, 03:54 PM

Uncle_Patrick
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
This should be fun.

chisoxmike
Um, ok. Please God let the Indians lose.

*** was wrong with the lineup today?

SoxFan78
Like i said in the gameday thread.

I hate you August 2005.

nodiggity59
We blow. Here's to a new #3 hitter for tomorrow.

SOXPHILE
BAD BAD BAD BAD !!! 3-6 against the freakin' Rangers ???? Hopefully Maroth (sp ?) has good stuff tonight, and the Tiggers can help or guys out.

mjmcend
If Vizcaino was gonna suck, better he do it in a game we were not coming back in anyways.

Uncle_Patrick
08-31-2005, 03:57 PM

El Duque just imploded in the 6th, Viz made it worse. After the 5th was over, I actually thought we had a chance.

soltrain21
Can we please trade for SOMEONE just so we have something new to talk about.

SoxFan78
I like how Ed Farmer is saying that the Sox need to play better against the AL west because if the Sox are FORTUNATE enough to make the playoffs, the road to the WS will go through the AL West.

JermaineDye05
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
this is really getting to me I mean it's a new thing every day, I mean first I thought it was the offense struggling but it's a new problem every day, not enough offense, too many brain cramps on defense, pitching is just awful, I'm starting to think that even if we do get another bat in the lineup that might not even help, I really hope someone can give this team one hell of a pep talk cause they are playing about as bad as the royals right now

skobabe8
I loathe texas and everything in it.

Unregistered
As I mentioned in the gameday thread, our strength is our pitching. As crappy as our offense has been, we're not going to win a lot of games when their insane (home) offense is scoring 8 runs a game on us. Don't forget we scored our share of runs this series (not including the Ozzie Guillen "Suicide Row" lineup today). I think once we get back to facing teams that aren't hitting like Texas is, we'll be OK.

Domeshot17
Don't your hold breath on a new 3 hitter tommrow, Unless you count Carl Everett as new.

Lets go get um in september. Starting off a crucial month at home.

CYGarland20
I don't know what to say about this team anymore. I just hope they all take a good look in the mirror, and realize they need to start stepping it up before they totally blow it............Time to turn the page in September and put the pedal to the metal.

Dan H
It is sure good to see August go. Some fans wanted a close race. If Cleveland wins tonight, they will have one. Hopefully it will bring the best out of the Sox.

ja1022
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM

The lineup was what was wrong with the lineup.

DickAllen72
Well that sucked! :(:

CubKilla
Hopefully Maroth (sp ?) has good stuff tonight, and the Tiggers can help or guys out.

This season never should have come to this..... :angry:

Unregistered
Can we please trade for SOMEONE just so we have something new to talk about.From Mr. White Sox in the Gameday thread:

"ESPN said KW is "currently on the phone and can't talk." Read into that what you will, but I think that if a trade gets done, it will be for either Todd Walker, Raul Ibanez, or Rob Macowiak...something along those lines."

Something to think/obsess about

ElevenUp
08-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Not much to say after that one. Hope a visit from the Tigers gets this team feeling healthy again.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2005, 04:00 PM
El Duque just imploded in the 6th, Viz made it worse. After the 5th was over, I actually thought we had a chance.

A very perceptive and concise overview of the entire nine innings. Well done.
:thumbsup:

Now we'll just have to wade through 200+ posts by the usual bozos to convince them that winning a baseball championship isn't anything like winning the college football national championship.

We need Alabama to make it close over Auburn or we're toast!
:kukoo:

CubKilla
08-31-2005, 04:01 PM
I like how Ed Farmer is saying that the Sox need to play better against the AL west because if the Sox are FORTUNATE enough to make the playoffs, the road to the WS will go through the AL West.

Ed DarkCloud Farmer

infohawk
Alright, August is finally gone! Let's get to work boys!!!

Iwritecode

What was wrong with it? It had these guys all bunched up together in this order:

Blum, Geoff
Uribe, Juan
Harris, Willie
Perez, Timo
Ozuna, Pablo

It was also missing the two guys (Pods and Iguchi) that have been making this team go since the beginning of the season.

Other than that there wasn't anything wrong with the lineup.

Granted giving up 9 runs doesn't help no matter who's in the lineup... :(:

Hangar18
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
Seriously guys, this team and its pathetic offense is in big trouble. We took 2 of 3 from Seattle and Minnesota and things kind of leveled off, but as soon as we faced a good-hitting team (lights/signs notwithstanding) we went into the tank again. 80-51 is our record now. One of the worst pitching staffs in the AL, and we LOSE 3 of 4? :angry:

JUribe1989
Indians right on our tails as much as no one here wants to admit it, these guys have to start playing better than good. Let's game some games on the Indians right when we come home. If the Indians win tonight, it is only a 6 game lead. That's pathetic for how far we were ahead. I still have faith that we can win at home with frequency though. Maybe being out of August will help.

:gulp:Here's to September!

kittle42
Here we go...

As I said in the game chat, this team is now 6-12 in their last 18. That is, how can I say it, "not good." Unluckily for the Sox, Cleveland somehow not only learned how to play baseball, but also started playing the Sox' first-half schedule.

Now, I still don't think Cleveland is catching anyone. I don't want them gaining any more ground, but whatever.

As has been pointed out by many, and I am not talking about the "Dark Clouds" who just rant about "This guy sucks" and "that guys sucks" and "wahh wahh I'll be right in the end, I'll show you!" types, this team has many issues right now, and that game 2 last night looks more like an aberration than a turnaround, despite what Hawk says.

The whole "if they play .500" thing - why should they or we be happy with that, if it happens? Making the playoffs is nice, but let's go in with a head of steam.

Lastly, this lineup today....it speaks for itself, but my issue is that, with the complete lack of off days in the near future, we are going to be seeing a lot more of this type of lineup than we want to.

Just get Detroit, please, this weekend. Please.

Jerko
08-31-2005, 04:03 PM
We lose to Texas all the time, Yanks lose the Royals, Boston can't beat Toronto, Cards lose to Cubs, etc. Just hope Cleveland loses later and it's status quo (up 7) with another day milked from the schedule.

CYGarland20
08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Just hope Cleveland loses later and it's status quo (up 7) with another day milked from the schedule. That would be nice :smile:

SoxFan78
We lose to Texas all the time, Yanks lose the Royals, Boston can't beat Toronto, Cards lose to Cubs, etc. Just hope Cleveland loses later and it's status quo (up 7) with another day milked from the schedule.

For some sinking feeling I have a feeling that the Indians will be losing the game tonight until the 8th inning, and then come back in the 9th.

Ill be watching MLB extra innings tonight though pulling for a team from Detroit for the first time in my life.

jshanahanjr
Not a bad road trip all and all. It could have been great, but .500 keeps the Sox in good shape. Let's now take care of business @ home and win 8 of 10!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2005, 04:07 PM
Seriously guys, this team and its pathetic offense is in big trouble. We took 2 of 3 from Seattle and Minnesota and things kind of leveled off, but as soon as we faced a good-hitting team (lights/signs notwithstanding) we went into the tank again. 80-51 is our record now. One of the worst pitching staffs in the AL, and we LOSE 3 of 4?

Indians right on our tails as much as no one here wants to admit it, these guys have to start playing better than good. Let's game some games on the Indians right when we come home. If the Indians win tonight, it is only a 6 game lead. That's pathetic for how far we were ahead. I still have faith that we can win at home with frequency though. Maybe being out of August will help.

Here's to September!

Here I am thinking you guys were afraid of your own shadows, but now I realize you're really just afraid of a month on the schedule.

:cool:

Palehose13
08-31-2005, 04:07 PM

Stop making sense! :D:

Yes, the game sucked (what I could hear of it). I'm happy that the Sox won't be in Texas until 2006. Now we get to beat up on our own division for most of the next month.

ChicagoHoosier
08-31-2005, 04:09 PM

This was a "get away August" lineup.

We lose to Texas all the time

And Oakland.

Let's get back on track tomorrow. HAND STILL RAISED!!!

LVSoxFan
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
We lose to Oakland all the time. I don't recall seasons where we consistently lost to two clubs all season long. Or maybe not: maybe Texas has just replaced the Tigers--'cause it's always the Tigers and Oakland.

However, I never thought I'd see things like us getting blown out in KC 2nd half when they were without a win against us going into that series, or Toronto taking a series from us at home, or Detroit doing the same. And of course the seven game losing streak.

It all comes down to one thing, El D's 6th innning implosion notwithstanding: lack of run output. You may recall that we jumped on Texas early last night so McCarthy had a lead to work with. You might also recall we were setting records 1st half for being in the lead in every game.

For the last month being down 2, 3 or 4-0 means game over. That is pathetic. We've got half a team right now, and that's what's so frustrating.

CYGarland20
Not a bad road trip all and all. It could have been great, but .500 keeps the Sox in good shape. Let's now take care of business @ home and win 8 of 10! But we play MUCH better on the road :o:

Ol' No. 2
Here I am thinking you guys were afraid of your own shadows, but now I realize you're really just afraid of a month on the schedule.

:cool:Or maybe it's just that time of the month.:o:

Dan H
Regarding the lineup: During the season Guillen has rested various players. That was not a bad thing to do. But with the lead shrinking, there is no need to rest key players any longer. They shouldn't be worn out physically or mentally. From now until the Sox clinch, they should have their "A" lineup in there. If they want rest, let them rest after the post season is over.

Soxmissy
Someone please convince me that I should be encouraged by the Sox
returning to play at home! Don't they stink at home?
PLEASE CONVINCE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:

chisoxmike
08-31-2005, 04:11 PM
Here we go...

As I said in the game chat, this team is now 6-12 in their last 18. That is, how can I say it, "not good." Unluckily for the Sox, Cleveland somehow not only learned how to play baseball, but also started playing the Sox' first-half schedule.

Now, I still don't think Cleveland is catching anyone. I don't want them gaining any more ground, but whatever.

As has been pointed out by many, and I am not talking about the "Dark Clouds" who just rant about "This guy sucks" and "that guys sucks" and "wahh wahh I'll be right in the end, I'll show you!" types, this team has many issues right now, and that game 2 last night looks more like an aberration than a turnaround, despite what Hawk says.

The whole "if they play .500" thing - why should they or we be happy with that, if it happens? Making the playoffs is nice, but let's go in with a head of steam.

Lastly, this lineup today....it speaks for itself, but my issue is that, with the complete lack of off days in the near future, we are going to be seeing a lot more of this type of lineup than we want to.

Just get Detroit, please, this weekend. Please.

Let's just hope they start playing better at home. 17 of 31 games are at home in September.

Also, many people are making a a point to say that we play Cleveland 6 times, but look at the schedule... the last 3 games of the season are in Cleveland, so really Cleveland needs to sweep the Sox for those 3 games here for them to really have a chance, that is saying the Sox don't implode before those games.

Unregistered
Meanwhile, the Twins just got shutout by the Royals, 1-0 after getting 13 hits.

How the mighty have fallen.

Jerko
Or maybe it's just that time of the month.:o:

I never heard of that lasting an entire 31 days.

Brian26
08-31-2005, 04:15 PM
The Sox are 27-27 since July 1. The first three months of the season are the reason we're lucky to have a 6.5 game lead right now. Two months of mediocre baseball is not a good sign, but it can be overcome. We may even play .500 for the rest of the season and win the division. However, I'd like to see a push into the playoffs with a lot more momentum.

Deuce
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
I loathe texas and everything in it.

Even Frater? :redneck

Jerko
08-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Don't forget, the Sox have mostly divisional games left, which is how they built their huge lead. I really think after the next 2 weeks we'll all be much happier and calmer.

ja1022
08-31-2005, 04:18 PM
Or maybe it's just that time of the month.:o:

Irritability, anxiety, mood swings, nausea. Sounds about right. Midol for everybody!!!

Deuce
08-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Irritability, anxiety, mood swings, nausea. Sounds about right. Midol for everybody!!!

Forget the Midol, someone break out the

:prozac

SpringfldFan
08-31-2005, 04:22 PM
Not a bad road trip all and all. It could have been great, but .500 keeps the Sox in good shape. Let's now take care of business @ home and win 8 of 10!

Thats a good attitude, and makes perfect sense. I just hope that in two weeks I don't read "Not a bad homestand all and all. It could have been great, but .500 keeps the Sox in first and we have been strong on the road..."

SFF

CYGarland20
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
I hope the Sox only let in about 25K per game for the next homestand. They seem to tighten up when there is a full house. Well school's back in session, and they way they have played lately and at home should keep away quite a few fans. I hope we draw about 25,000 the rest of the way.

mr_genius
08-31-2005, 04:24 PM
Forget the Midol, someone break out the

:prozac

or even better the

:bong:

SoxinAZ
08-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Plain and simple, with this line-up and Ozzie leaving El Duque in too long, there was no way that victory was ever in sight.

FG, MB, JG lose, Brandon makes us shine with a win, and now this from El Duque. I hope JC got a little for Detroit.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
i dont wanna hear hawk say "can't do anything with it" for the rest of the season, unless he's talking about the other team.

SpringfldFan
08-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Well school's back in session, and they way they have played lately and at home should keep away quite a few fans. I hope we draw about 25,000 the rest of the way.

No, we need the attendance. JR has always said that good attendance increases his payroll. That is how KW was just able to acquire...uhh...never mind.:(:

SFF

veeter
08-31-2005, 04:29 PM
Just like Hawk says, Ozzie has something up his sleeve. Seriously, I don't know if I'm just emotionally drained or what but I'm very calm. I think they're going to have a very good homestand and September. They'll win the division by eight. The playoffs are a crap shoot. Good things may very well happen.

Unregistered
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
Uh... Ixnay on the attendance-ay talk...

:whistle:

MarySwiss
08-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Ill be watching MLB extra innings tonight though pulling for a team from Detroit for the first time in my life.

I hear ya, SoxFan!

Ozzie, KW, look at the depths to which you are making us sink! :mad:

harwar
08-31-2005, 04:34 PM
After yesterday's first game everyone was ready to jump.
Then after the great showing in the 2nd game everything was ok again.
Its going to be up and down the rest of the season so you might as well get ready for it.
I fully expect the White Sox to have a great september,but i feel the tribe will be there also.
Even if we fell behind for a game or two is doesn't mean we have to just throw our hands in the air and cry "oh what pitiful stuff'.
What you do then is say"damn the torpedos,full steam ahead' and play fast and lose,down and dirty till the last ray of sun is extinguished from our sight.

mccoydp
08-31-2005, 04:36 PM
I'm going to go slit my wrists right now...I just can't take it any longer.

Thank God August is over...here's to the hope that September is kinder!

captain54
08-31-2005, 04:38 PM

I'm not really understanding the logic here....

1)lost the first game to Minny with Garcia pitching a one hitter
2)gave the first two away at Texas with horrible defense...

that's "not a bad road trip all in all?"

I would have felt better about a .500 road trip if the Sox hadn't given away a couple of games, and had absolutely no offense in that opening heartbreaker...

southsideirish71
08-31-2005, 04:39 PM
Can someone explain why when you have 2 men on and are down by a few runs and you have Timo coming to the plate and Carl Everett on the bench you choose without the presence of alchohol Timo.

:gulp:Drink them if you have got them

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2005, 04:43 PM
I'm not really understanding the logic here....

I think he is talking about the RESULTS of the road trip.

He is focused on the baby. Meanwhile you're focused on the labor pains.

See the difference?

:whiner:

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2005, 04:48 PM
The regular lineup probably wasn't going to score 10, I know people love to rag on the offense but these past games it's been the pitching, which always has their share of bad days, but this staff is domina

I didn't mind the lineup at all. Getaway + day game following a double header last night. I'd rest Pods too, because then you're screwed if he tweaks something after playing so much right after a DL trip. Tad has been scuffling, possibly a questionable call. Everett would be questionable as well. Ozuna is filling in for Crede, and your hottest hitters, Dye and Rowand were in.

Lip Man 1
In the next ten days the Sox get Detroit and Kansas City seven times. Cleveland gets Minnesota and Oakland.

It's all in the Sox hands now. Play well at home, and the lead is probably back up to eight or nine by the middle of the month and Ozzie can start resting the nagging injuries and get the team ready for October.

Play poorly at home and something that every fan considered unfathomable four weeks ago will come to pass. The Sox last ten or fifteen games actually meaning something.

It's all up to the players. All of them... including guys like Ozuna, Harris, Perez, Blum and Widger. Any player can swing a game, a series, a season (remember Denny Doyle or Tito Landrum?) As 'Hawk' would say 'time to strap it down...'

We'll see.

Lip

CYGarland20
Can someone explain why when you have 2 men on and are down by a few runs and you have Timo coming to the plate and Carl Everett on the bench you choose without the presence of alchohol Timo.

:gulp:Drink them if you have got them Ozzie's love affair w/ Timo is getting WAY out of hand! :angry:............Can someone please tell me what our record is when Timo starts a game??

chisoxmike
08-31-2005, 04:53 PM
In the next ten days the Sox get Detroit and Kansas City seven times. Cleveland gets Minnesota and Oakland.

It's all in the Sox hands now. Play well at home, and the lead is probably back up to eight or nine by the middle of the month and Ozzie can start resting the nagging injuries and get the team ready for October.

Play poorly at home and something that every fan considered unfathomable four weeks ago will come to pass. The Sox last ten or fifteen games actually meaning something.

It's all up to the players. All of them... including guys like Ozuna, Harris, Perez, Blum and Widger. Any player can swing a game, a series, a season (remember Denny Doyle or Tito Landrum?) As 'Hawk' would say 'time to strap it down...'

We'll see.

Lip

Thats exactly right. The its all up to the Sox. They can put Cleveland away for good before that 3-game series at the Cell. Becuase the season should be wrapped up before the final series of the regular season which is at Cleveland for 3 games making those games meaningless. Key word is should.

southsideirish71
08-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Ozzie's love affair w/ Timo is getting WAY out of hand! :angry:............Can someone please tell me what our record is when Timo starts a game??

Here is Rotoworlds spin on Today and Timo

Timo Perez went 0-for-3 with a sac bunt today, dropping his average to .225. Will Ozzie Guillen's overreliance on the sac bunt or his overreliance on Timo cost him more in the end? Perez got 56 at-bats this month and hit .214/.271/.286. He's hitting .225/.273/.306 on the season and he finished at .246/.285/.338 last year. With those kind of lines, he almost qualifies for becoming a regular on the Royals. But Perez did contribute a key sacrifice today, moving up two baserunners in the third inning and helping the team score a run. One run. In a game they went on to lose 9-2.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 04:59 PM
Wait a minute!!! Don't I recall reading a few weeks ago how people were fretting that the Sox had too big a lead and they were going to lose their edge going into the playoffs? Anyone want to bet that the ones fretting about too big a lead are the same ones ready to jump off the ledge now that it's smaller?

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Wait a minute!!! Don't I recall reading a few weeks ago how people were fretting that the Sox had too big a lead and they were going to lose their edge going into the playoffs? Anyone want to bet that the ones fretting about too big a lead are the same ones ready to jump off the ledge now that it's smaller?

That lead was too big......

This lead is too small......

Where's the lead that's juuuuuust right?

Maybe the Dark Clouds need to be renamed the Goldilocks?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2005, 05:03 PM
Anyone want to bet that the ones fretting about too big a lead are the same ones ready to jump off the ledge now that it's smaller?

The herd has been thinned the past few weeks.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2005, 05:04 PM
What's going on is a long season, a brutal stretch of games, nagging injuries, a less then stellar bench and offensive difficulties (including against no name, rookie and mediocre pitchers)

That being said and everyone knows I'm not an 'optimist.' The Sox still have at least a 6 1/2 game lead and the schedule on paper, becomes easier.

It's all up to the players. Win or die (trying...) If they can't hold on and win the division, having blown a 15 game lead on August 1st, then they'll get no symphathy for me and I'm assuming 99% of the rest of Sox fans.

Lip

Baby Fisk
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
The herd has been thinned the past few weeks.

Big cull today alone.

Palehose13
08-31-2005, 05:07 PM
That lead was too big......

This lead is too small......

Where's the lead that's juuuuuust right?

Maybe the Dark Clouds need to be renamed the Goldilocks?

I like it. A whiny little girl that just needs something to bitch about. :cool:

Baby Fisk
08-31-2005, 05:10 PM
A whiny little girl that just needs something to bitch about. :cool:I thought she wrote a Twins blog.

Palehose13
08-31-2005, 05:11 PM
I thought she wrote a Twins blog.

Nice. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Big cull today alone.

Indeed.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/wolves/images/prey.jpeg

JB98
08-31-2005, 05:14 PM
That El Duque meltdown reminded me of the game we had against RJ. Just sailing along, and then BOOM!!! The game was lost all at once. Hard to figure.

I don't mind Ozzie using his bench, particularly when we play four games in 48 hours in the Texas heat. I just wish we wouldn't have Pods, Iguchi AND Everett all out of the lineup at the same time. Those are the top three hitters in our batting order, ya know?

Jurr
08-31-2005, 05:28 PM
Ozzie played that lineup because he knows that the division isn't being won in Texas. It's going to be won vs. Detroit and KC the next few days. He knows that if the boys come out firing against the central like they've been doing all year, this thing is as good as over, especially considering Minn and Cleveland are going to be beating one another's brains in the next two weeks.

I like having a rested Pods and Gooch for the crucial two weeks coming up. This thing can be put away in our favor in the next couple of weeks, as we're going against Detroit and KC. This Texas series meant diddly poo.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 05:31 PM
That El Duque meltdown reminded me of the game we had against RJ. Just sailing along, and then BOOM!!! The game was lost all at once. Hard to figure.

I don't mind Ozzie using his bench, particularly when we play four games in 48 hours in the Texas heat. I just wish we wouldn't have Pods, Iguchi AND Everett all out of the lineup at the same time. Those are the top three hitters in our batting order, ya know?People keep carping about these "weak" lineups. But if you look at the results, they don't win any less when they have the famous Getaway Day lineup than when they have the regulars in there. Who got the hits today? Harris (everybody's favorite whipping boy) was 2 for 3 with a key sac bunt. He and Ozuna accounted for half the Sox hits today.

JB98
08-31-2005, 05:37 PM
People keep carping about these "weak" lineups. But if you look at the results, they don't win any less when they have the famous Getaway Day lineup than when they have the regulars in there. Who got the hits today? Harris (everybody's favorite whipping boy) was 2 for 3 with a key sac bunt. He and Ozuna accounted for half the Sox hits today.

Two runs on six hits against a mediocre Texas pitching staff. That's the bottom line.

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 05:42 PM
Look, they call it the "dog days" for a reason folks. It's a long season and August is deep enough into it but yet far enough away from the end of it that unless you're in a REAL race, things get lax. Add to that a pretty tough schedule, some injuries (Pods, Konerko), and some bad luck (Example A: rainout in Boston), and you have a down month.

However, unless you're buying in to the first 4 months being a big fluke, there's no reason to panic. The deadline's over tonight, so the team can settle in to who's going to be here and who's not. Almost everyone's healthy, and Crede ought to be back soon. And it's getting close enough to the end of the season that IMO you'll see things tighten up in terms of execution. And the schedule lightens up.

IMO it's jumping the gun to panic now. Sit tight and watch them for another 1-2 weeks and then you'll have a REAL look at how this team is going to fare.

kitekrazy
08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
It's all up to the players. Win or die (trying...) If they can't hold on and win the division, having blown a 15 game lead on August 1st, then they'll get no symphathy for me and I'm assuming 99% of the rest of Sox fans.

Lip

The 69 Cubs would be replaced by the 05 Sox. The ultimate insult.:angry:

Cleveland is very hot right now, they have to cool down as well. That's about the only optimism I can think of.

Wsoxmike59
08-31-2005, 06:51 PM
I think the Sox went 12-16 in August. I was hoping for a .500 August (14-14) and we were only two wins away from doing just that.

I agree the Sept. schedule favors us, we have a lot of home games and the Sox should be able to put the Indians away once and for all.

fan_since_64
08-31-2005, 06:55 PM
time for a brawl or at least Ozzie to get tossed and get these bums riled up!

bigdommer
08-31-2005, 07:02 PM
I think most of the posters are right.

We are hitting the dog days
Cleveland is hot.
We have injuries.
We are running a AAA lineup out there every other day.
Our pitchers aren't dominating anymore.

At the same time, there are reasons for optimism. The stretch run is here. THere are lots of games left with Cleveland. Crede's hurt, but we are relatively healthy besides him now. BMac has proved to be a worthy insurance arm. And our pitching, which has been awful by our standards, hasn't been that bad. El Duque pitched well in Seattle, BurlyMon pitched well in Minny and could have eeked out a win with some D, Jose has uncharacteristically pitched well in back to back starts, Jon almost threw a shutout before his Ameriquest meltdown, and Freddy is one start removed from a near no hitter.

I am optimistic.

Rikirk
08-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Does anyone feel that the word "Complacency" has taken its effect on the team in the month of August? Seeing a 15 game lead vanish is kind of disheartening.

I dunno..I may be wrong...If I am you guys can smack me around a bit.:redneck

Heres hoping for a better September.
:gulp: ...cheers.

SoxSpeed22
08-31-2005, 07:07 PM
I HATE AUGUST!

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Two runs on six hits against a mediocre Texas pitching staff. That's the bottom line.The point, since you seemed to have missed it, was that they didn't score only two runs because of the bench players that were in the lineup. The bench players were the only ones who did ANYTHING.

PeteWard
08-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Ozzie played that lineup because he knows that the division isn't being won in Texas. It's going to be won vs. Detroit and KC the next few days. He knows that if the boys come out firing against the central like they've been doing all year, this thing is as good as over, especially considering Minn and Cleveland are going to be beating one another's brains in the next two weeks.

I like having a rested Pods and Gooch for the crucial two weeks coming up. This thing can be put away in our favor in the next couple of weeks, as we're going against Detroit and KC. This Texas series meant diddly poo.

How does a series against Texas mean less than one against KC or Detroit?

Deuce
08-31-2005, 09:05 PM
Well, at least....

:twinslose:indianslose

JB98
08-31-2005, 09:35 PM
The point, since you seemed to have missed it, was that they didn't score only two runs because of the bench players that were in the lineup. The bench players were the only ones who did ANYTHING.

And you missed my point. If Pods, Iguchi or Everett would have been in the lineup, perhaps one of them would have done something to spark the team. Maybe Pods gets a couple steals to get everybody going. Maybe Crazy Carl goes deep. Willie went 2-for-3 with two singles. That's nice. Maybe Iguchi goes 3-for-4.

You can spin it anyway you want. A lineup with a top three of Perez, Ozuna and Pierzynski is weak.