PDA

View Full Version : Will McCarthy be a power pitcher in the majors?

whitesoxfan1986
08-31-2005, 03:03 PM
After last night's performance by McCarthy, I think he might not be a K guy in the majors. he might be more along the lines of Mark B. ( god how do you spell his last name?)

Fred Manrique
08-31-2005, 03:22 PM
After last night's performance by McCarthy, I think he might not be a K guy in the majors. he might be more along the lines of Mark B. ( god how do you spell his last name?)

B-U-E-H-R-L-E, you should probably learn how to spell our aces last name if you're going to be posting.

PAPChiSox729
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM

Burly. Duh!

We'll just have to wait and see. I am sure he will be getting a few more strikeouts once he is more comfortable in the majors. Plus, he may grow out a little more and add some more speed to his fastball. But, if he keeps pitching like he did last nigh, I don't care how many strikeouts he gets.

Huisj
08-31-2005, 03:33 PM
One start doesn't create a career trend. If he's got that curveball, he'll get strikeouts.

SOXintheBURGH
08-31-2005, 03:45 PM
One start doesn't create a career trend. If he's got that curveball, he'll get strikeouts.

Carrie Woods once struck out 20 guys!

Madvora
08-31-2005, 03:46 PM
We have to make sure he remains on this team first. He was ready to go before the trade deadline. We'll just have to see in the off season what KW wants to do with this team. And right now it looks like he needs to do a lot.

mjmcend
08-31-2005, 03:55 PM
We have to make sure he remains on this team first. He was ready to go before the trade deadline. We'll just have to see in the off season what KW wants to do with this team. And right now it looks like he needs to do a lot.

Yeah let's blow up the team with the best record in the A.L. Trade or cut all these bums. Let's get like 3 prospects and maybe we will break .500 in a few years.

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2005, 03:57 PM
Carrie Woods once struck out 20 guys!

:worship:http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aagh006.gif

SpringfldFan
08-31-2005, 04:14 PM

I agree. In his last couple innings against Texas, even Jenks only managed to strike one guy out. If he didn't rack up the K's, nobody would.

SFF

veeter
08-31-2005, 04:23 PM
I don't care if he's a 'K' guy, I care if he's a 'W' guy.

SoxinAZ
08-31-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't care if he's a 'K' guy, I care if he's a 'W' guy.

It's all about trhe "W"'s :sunshine: :supernana:

Randar68
08-31-2005, 05:43 PM

He will be a guy who averages 7-8 K's per 9IP, IMO. Last night was a pretty darn good hitting club and he wasn't getting a few calls.

Like everything else, you have to establish yourself to get those calls and you have to learn the hitters and how you go about setting guys up at this level...

He's been at a VERY high K/IP rate all the way through his very quick ascension in the organization and if he can truly master the change-up, he is going to continue that pace in the majors.

I don't know when/if he will fill out, but I've seen him throwing harder than he was last night on more than 1 occassion...

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2005, 06:08 PM
I don't know when/if he will fill out, but I've seen him throwing harder than he was last night on more than 1 occassion...

Really? He was hitting 88-92 last night; he can go higher?

Side note: His change REALLY improved...it really was night and day between the last two starts.

Randar68
08-31-2005, 06:15 PM
Really? He was hitting 88-92 last night; he can go higher?

Side note: His change REALLY improved...it really was night and day between the last two starts.

I only ever saw him use the change a handful of times in all of his other appearances combined, and stated so at the time as a reason he was not successful. It is tough to get a good 12-6 curve called for strikes at this level unless you are an established pitcher.

88-92 is usually where he operates, but yes, I've seen him go up to 94 at times.

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
I only ever saw him use the change a handful of times in all of his other appearances combined, and stated so at the time as a reason he was not successful. It is tough to get a good 12-6 curve called for strikes at this level unless you are an established pitcher.

I actually meant his two starts were night and day due to the change, as it seemed like whenever he tried it previously (which was very few times as you stated) it was wayyy off the plate. Good to see him figure out whatever it was that was bothering him.

TDog
09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
... Mark B. ( god how do you spell his last name?)

Funny you should say that.

The Associated Press runs quick stories on games after they are completed and later update the reports with comments and different angles and sometimes correction. The third version of a recent White Sox game report had a note on the top that it was "recast to correct spelling of Buehrle throughout."

maurice
09-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Good McCarthy outing = lots of changeups.
Bad McCarthy outing = no changeups.

This is obvious from his starts against the Rangers this season and pre-season.

It looks (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050831soxbits,1,4288865.story?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed) like McCarthy finally has figured out the importance of this pitch to his MLB career:
McCarthy . . . was more appreciative of a tip from Triple-A Charlotte pitching coach Juan Nieves,who detected a flaw in his delivery and encouraged him to throw his changeup more often. McCarthy estimated he threw between 30 and 40 changeups to the Rangers, who got two hits off him in 7 2/3 innings. "I have to throw that pitch early and often," McCarthy said. "The pace of the game picks up, and I can work the other pitches in. I don't have enough natural stuff to blow by guys."