PDA

View Full Version : Hiney bird (Hawkism)

SOXfnNlansing
08-31-2005, 03:37 PM
"na, ya know what? You get guys like him, and Moronotti, you know what I call those guys? Hiney birds. You know what a hiney bird is? A hiney bird is a bird that flies in perfectly executed concentric circles until eventually he flies up his own behind and disappears forever." DJ :"We need to make a play"

soltrain21
08-31-2005, 03:40 PM
That was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Palehose13
08-31-2005, 03:54 PM
That was probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

I didn't hear, but upon reading it I found it quite amusing. :D:

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
"na, ya know what? You get guys like him, and Moronotti, you know what I call those guys? Hiney birds. You know what a hiney bird is? A hiney bird is a bird that flies in perfectly executed concentric circles until eventually he flies up his own behind and disappears forever." DJ :"We need to make a play"

HILARIOUS

He actually called him "Moronotti" on the air? Nice.

34 Inch Stick
08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
I would be more than happy if I never heard Hawk announce another game.

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2005, 04:09 PM
I would be more than happy if I never heard Hawk announce another game.

I used to be a big fan, but honestly, he's becoming unlistenable for me. How can he call any member of the media a 'spinmaster' when he went on his "Where's he gonna play?" trip, with his little arrogant attitud that he's always right, when in reality he's JR's mouthpiece. The stupid emails, acting like a jerk to DJ, the silence and stupid comments when things are going bad, and how embarrasing it is to be seen as having the worst broadcasters in the nation, I can't take it anymore, thank God for Rooney and Farmer! I don't care about the delay anymore

FarWestChicago
08-31-2005, 04:23 PM
:moron

I can feel the love from some of you guys!!

TaylorStSox
08-31-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm so damn sick of emails. I've heard Hawk repeat the same things for the last 10+ years. The last thing I want to hear is him answering the same damn emails every day.

Jerko
08-31-2005, 05:32 PM
I'm so damn sick of emails. I've heard Hawk repeat the same things for the last 10+ years. The last thing I want to hear is him answering the same damn emails every day.

If it's possible, I agree 1,000,000%. I'd like a few minutes alone with who screens those things too, and not in a good way.

Lip Man 1
08-31-2005, 05:52 PM
Hawk needs to get back to doing his job...that's calling the game. The 'other' issues need to be ditched, he makes himself look bad and the organization look small when he starts shooting his mouth off.

He is simply adding fire and fuel to a media already beginning to zero in on the shrinking divisional lead.

Lip

mweflen
08-31-2005, 05:55 PM
His homer-ism is becoming a bit egregious.

I now like it more when DJ talks. He analyzes the game, tries to get in the heads of thepitchers and batters, and isn't so much of a corporate mouthpiece.

Sigh.

Palehose13
08-31-2005, 05:59 PM
His homer-ism is becoming a bit egregious.

I now like it more when DJ talks. He analyzes the game, tries to get in the heads of thepitchers and batters, and isn't so much of a corporate mouthpiece.

Sigh.

I don't get to hear Hawk every game so I do appreciate him when I do get to hear him. However, with the way it sounds I don't know if I would be as appreciative if I had to listen to him every game.

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2005, 06:11 PM

:hawk
"Well, here's a great, great e-mail from a young female, Jamie. The email says 'hey guys, I was just wondering what your craziest play ever was. Thanks and go Sox.' Well, Jamie, for that smart e-mail we're going to call up Brian for you and he'll set you up with four tickets to a game. Congratulations; boy those young females are starting to send e-mails to us a bunch now. It's great, DJ. Well, DJ, I think you should answer this one."

:DJ
"Man, there was this one play when Raul Ibanez was hitting, and he smashed it right at me and I had no time to react..."

SouthBendSox
09-06-2005, 12:42 AM
love him or hate him Hawk IS White Sox baseball

jabrch
09-06-2005, 12:46 AM
I'll admit it - I love hearing Hawk do games. Sorry - I do. He's not a textbook broadcaster, that's for sure. But he makes it fun and he does a good job actually keeping you informed of the game's activities for the most part.

Chips
09-06-2005, 12:49 AM
I'll admit it - I love hearing Hawk do games. Sorry - I do. He's not a textbook broadcaster, that's for sure. But he makes it fun and he does a good job actually keeping you informed of the game's activities for the most part.

You're not alone, Although I sure as hell hope I don't hear how Ortiz and Manny are the best 1-2 punch in 7th, 8th and 9th innings ever again.

sthbndsox
09-06-2005, 12:51 AM
I don't know about anyone else, but I found that hillarious. The fact that it seemed like him and DJ were completely oblivious to one another just makes it funnier.

Edit:

amen

mr_genius
09-06-2005, 12:52 AM

I used to like listening to Hawk do games, but this season he has been out of control... his whining about the umpires and moronatti is getting out of hand.

I used to be amused by moronatti and Hawk's fued, now its lame. Get over it Harrelson, moronatti is an idiot and everyone knows it. Ignore him.

jabrch
09-06-2005, 12:58 AM
I used to like listening to Hawk do games, but this season he has been out of control... his whining about the umpires and moronatti is getting out of hand.

I used to be amused by moronatti and Hawk's fued, now its lame. Get over it Harrelson, moronatti is an idiot and everyone knows it. Ignore him.

I like hearing Hawk gloat. Moronotti lost the battle. He is no longer on the radio in Chicago. He's a joke nationally on ESPN. The only reason he has a job with the paper in Chicago is that people read his crap to make fun of him.

Hawk got in a sparring match with Moronotti - and won. Now I have no problem hearing him pick the scraps off the carcas.

I do agree that he whines a bit much about umpires.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-06-2005, 01:28 AM
If it's possible, I agree 1,000,000%. I'd like a few minutes alone with who screens those things too, and not in a good way.
Some of the e-mails they read on the air are ridiculous, but you're probably right in the fact that Hawk isn't the one screening them, so I'm not going to bash him for it. I can't stand it when the e-mail they read is a straight forward question about a specific statistic that could easily be looked up on the internet in seconds, which the person obviously has because they sent an e-mail!

HotelWhiteSox
09-06-2005, 02:03 AM
love him or hate him Hawk IS White Sox baseball

Eh, wouldn't he act the same if he was working for someone else? I think so, he sounds like he'd be much more loyal to Boston than Chicago, but learned his lesson after he already got canned, and is now Ultimate Homer #1 in baseball.

I'm just getting tired how his opinions and thoughts of what's going on during the game is always right, and in turn, all of White Sox fandom is represented by him and his opinions. I mean, God forbid DJ disagrees with him on whose fault a broken down play was or anything questionable during the game, or else Hawk will act like a jerk and/or ignore him, which alreay happens 98% of the time. I agree that I like that my local broadcaster cheers for the team but it becomes annoying when he uses that and basically lies to the fan and embarrases at the same time when he goes on a Chicago sports radio show and tries to tell everyone that Willie Harris is fit to be a starting ML 2nd basemen two years ago or that this team alone would not be better with this team in addition to Ken Griffey Jr (I didn't even want him here, but the 'Where's he gonna play' parade was ridiculous). This isn't mentioning his little on air personal fueds or the problem that has existed for years, uncomfortable dead silence when things are going wrong, usually forcing DJ into a horrible icebreaker. I'm not a huge DJ fan, but I give the man credit for what he puts up with

Some of the Hawkisms are catchy and I really used to like Hawk, but those negatives really outweigh the positives for me these days. This whole Rooney situation is a shame :(:

I like hearing Hawk gloat. Moronotti lost the battle. He is no longer on the radio in Chicago. He's a joke nationally on ESPN. The only reason he has a job with the paper in Chicago is that people read his crap to make fun of him.

Hawk got in a sparring match with Moronotti - and won. Now I have no problem hearing him pick the scraps off the carcas.

I kind of disagree, are we sure Hawk won? Did anyone win and was this even a real battle? I think Mariotti getting fired by ESPN Radio had nothing to do with Hawk. I'm sure Reinsdorf put his input on him being employed there, but the relationship obviously became strained after everything that developed, with Mariotti staying almost to taunt Reinsdorf, and now with the Sox moving to the Score. Also, we may hate seeing him there, but ESPN still has him for Around the Horn, and when he's not, he's filling in for PTI or Cold Pizza or something and uses him on a Sportscenter piece when they want an interview from Chicago. Isn't the Sun-Times also known for sports? I don't think they'd keep him for the reasons you mentioned. I think the fueds go a little too far, this is just a guy earning a living, who in my opinion, could give two ****s about Chicago sports and if a franchise is winning. I doubt he really believes what he writes, he stirs **** up, and the end result is the people reading or buying it. In July, he was praising the Sox, saying that had a great shot, blah blah blah, and then kept comparing them to other collapses. Sox fans get outraged, Cub fans eat it up, everyone reads, everyone wins. Even people who hate him rave about what a good writer he is, he must be doing something right.

schmitty9800
09-06-2005, 02:19 AM
I know he's a subpar play-by-play man, but he's still entertaining. Also, I much prefer a real fan (albiet one who toes the company line without fail) than a generic broadcaster.

SSN721
09-06-2005, 06:56 AM
I love Hawk and I am not apologizing for it. I like that he is a homer, I like that he taunts those who taunt and rip on my team. I dont care that he toes the company line, he should be number one fan to me being in that position. Whenever we have these threads it always seems like people who dont like Hawk would rather have a putz like Moronotti in the booth who rips the team and management for the entire broadcast because God forbid the play-byplay guy paid by the White Sox is a homer.

SOXfnNlansing
09-06-2005, 11:50 PM
sometimes I feel sorry for DJ because Hawk says something ignorant and puts DJ on the spot..... DJ is great at changing the subject pronto.

ElevenUp
09-07-2005, 02:00 AM
If I hear him reading another email about why the Red Sox are called the Carmines, I'm gonna puke (I'm pretty sure he's read one of those for every game we've played Boston this year). There are times when I don't like him, and there are times when I totally agree with him (especially when he takes on Moroniotti). But at least he's not some generic play by play guy tha t a lot of teams are happy to throw out there.