PDA

View Full Version : KW looking at Todd Walker?

mdep524
08-31-2005, 11:44 AM
Take it FWIW.... On this morning's ESPN1000 Sportscenter updates Bruce Levine has been reporting that the Sox and Cubs are talking about a Todd Walker deal. Levine's track record is less than stellar, so this might be inaccurate.

After reflecting on it for a few minutes, I think Walker could be a quality pick up for this team. Could spell Tadahito at 2B, Paulie at 1B and Carl at DH. Good LH bat, capable of doing the small things. Basically like Vizquel minus the defense.

Tekijawa
08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Take it FWIW.... On this morning's ESPN1000 Sportscenter updates Bruce Levine has been reporting that the Sox and Cubs are talking about a Todd Walker deal. Levine's track record is less than stellar, so this might be inaccurate.

After reflecting on it for a few minutes, I think Walker could be a quality pick up for this team. Could spell Tadahito at 2B, Paulie at 1B and Carl at DH. Good LH bat, capable of doing the small things. Basically like Vizquel minus the defense.

Have you seen what this team does "minus the defense"?

Mickster
08-31-2005, 11:50 AM
Good LH bat, capable of doing the small things. Basically like Vizquel minus the talent.

Fixed that for you. :wink:

But seriously:
:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

cleanwsox
08-31-2005, 11:56 AM
:weewillie

"You don't need Walker, I'm back with you guys.. remember?"

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Have you seen what this team does "minus the defense"?

Basically, he'll mostly spell Carl and occasionally Iguchi, so D won't be a problem. He's also some insurance against Podsednik going down again since while he doesn't have speed, he's generally been decent at getting on base, IIRC.

He's also on a short contract versus Vizquel's multiyr deal, plus he's actually cleared waivers, something I'm not sure can be said about Omar.

What this does is indicate that the other avenues are pretty much closing down: Griffey, Ibanez, etc. Because Walker's certainly not an impact guy.

Kogs35
08-31-2005, 12:01 PM

ill take walker over willie any day of the week and twice on sundays

Mr. White Sox
08-31-2005, 12:01 PM
:LTP
"Man, Willie, you need to just shut up."

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2005, 12:04 PM
This would not be a terrible pick up...while I would rather have a left side of the infield guy...walker off the bench in the playoffs would be great. In the meantime, walker could dh some game and obviously play second. He did play 60 games at 3B b/n 1996-1997 (.965 Fielding Percentage---Crede is at .973 this year and .964 for his career) so maybe he could play there? I wish Robin Ventura circa 1993 was available :(:

It's Time
08-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Perhaps Kenny is trying to block the Indians from getting Walker.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=5700

Letmehearya
08-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Who are we giving up Chris Young? Wait a second it couldn't be Young because they already have a future HOF in ... oh yeah Corey Patterson ... uh... wait a second .. no... oh yeah the cubs already the next superstar centerfielder in Felix Pie. He's a guaranteed HOF. It can't be Chris Young. I'd like Walker, he could help in many ways.

Brian26
08-31-2005, 12:55 PM

Cool, maybe Walker can bat behind Wes Helms in our lineup.

hawkjt
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Walker is hitting .300+ which is higher than anyone on our roster. I say he would be a good fit. Definite grinder AB's. Contact hitter with a little pop.

Who would we give up? I say not Young,owens,McCarthy,anderson,sweeney, or rogaski. Anyone else -yes.

Who would he replace? Blum,Ozuna are the possibles altho if we only carry 11 pitchers then they can keep them all ,I think.

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 01:00 PM
Walker is hitting .300+ which is higher than anyone on our roster. I say he would be a good fit. Definite grinder AB's. Contact hitter with a little pop.

Who would we give up? I say not Young,owens,McCarthy,anderson,sweeney, or rogaski. Anyone else -yes.

Who would he replace? Blum,Ozuna are the possibles altho if we only carry 11 pitchers then they can keep them all ,I think.

It's got to be someone fairly minor. Walker's here for 60 days max, and isn't an impact player. Think of who they got for Hollandworthless and go maybe a smidge higher.

Soxzilla
08-31-2005, 01:14 PM
Cool, maybe Walker can bat behind Wes Helms in our lineup.

And Griffey and Nomar.

Paulie's contract extension will bat fourth.

:dtroll:

JB98
If the price is right, why not? Walker is a good hitter, and we need some depth.

It would be culture shock for any player to walk out of the Cubs clubhouse and into ours. From what I hear, the atmosphere is a night-and-day difference.

The Dude

<insert absurdly overused chunks tag>

DONT REMIND ME!

The Dude
08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Perhaps Kenny is trying to block the Indians from getting Walker.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=5700

Not a bad idea if its for a block.

Also, I wouldnt mind seeing him on the team next year either as a bench/spot starter/DH.

mdep524
08-31-2005, 01:58 PM
Levine has popped in on Bryan Dolgin's pregame show twice to talk about this. He said there are moer teams than just the Sox interested and the Sox main concern is if Walker can play 3B, which he hasn't done since '97. Then he went on to talk about how Jim Hendry has to get quality in return because he's "not just going to trade Todd Walker for the sake of trading him." :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't care whether Walker can play 3B or not. Playing 2B, 1B, DH and PH would be valuable enough.

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2005, 02:00 PM
This would be a great bat to add, especially if coming from the bench, that said, hopefully not to much would be given up. I remember wanting him when he was a FA, back when Willie was our starting 2B, yikes! The only thing that scares me is Ozzie will go a little R/L matchup crazy with the lineups as he does with the bullpen

Also, it wasn't just Levine, the Score reported this today, although Walker is in today's lineup.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Levine has popped in on Bryan Dolgin's pregame show twice to talk about this. He said there are moer teams than just the Sox interested and the Sox main concern is if Walker can play 3B, which he hasn't done since '97. Then he went on to talk about how Jim Hendry has to get quality in return because he's "not just going to trade Todd Walker for the sake of trading him." :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't care whether Walker can play 3B or not. Playing 2B, 1B, DH and PH would be valuable enough.From what I've seen, Walker is marginal at 2B. 3B would be pretty unlikely. He's strictly another LH bat. But who would he replace. Blum has value as a utility IF that can play all IF positions. Ozuna has a place as a pinch runner. Walker doesn't do either well and they don't have anyone else to pinch run. They're not going to carry 7 IF.

Jerome
08-31-2005, 02:25 PM
I'd be more than happy to take my chances with Walkers glove at 3B. Get Crediocore out of there. Uribe has good range at SS, we're fine defensively. Walker is a waaaaay better hitter than Crede.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd be more than happy to take my chances with Walkers glove at 3B. Get Crediocore out of there. Uribe has good range at SS, we're fine defensively. Walker is a waaaaay better hitter than Crede.At 3B?? ***** Walker will give up twice as many extra baserunners with his glove as he'll get you with his bat. You'd think after losing two games to unearned runs people would understand the importance of defense.:o:

Chisox003
08-31-2005, 02:49 PM
At 3B?? ***** Walker will give up twice as many extra baserunners with his glove as he'll get you with his bat. You'd think after losing two games to unearned runs people would understand the importance of defense.:o:

Its WSI ON2

Remember?

soxfan43
08-31-2005, 02:50 PM
At 3B?? ***** Walker will give up twice as many extra baserunners with his glove as he'll get you with his bat. You'd think after losing two games to unearned runs people would understand the importance of defense.:o:

I agree completely. However, his bat is definitely worth looking into. As its been said before in this thread, he can back up 2b, maybe 1b and also help DH plus pinch hit. I'd rather have him pinch hitting than anyone else on the \roster

Palehose13
08-31-2005, 02:59 PM
I'd be more than happy to take my chances with Walkers glove at 3B. Get Crediocore out of there. Uribe has good range at SS, we're fine defensively. Walker is a waaaaay better hitter than Crede.

Fixed it for you.

The Dude
08-31-2005, 03:05 PM
<insert absurdly overused chunks tag>

Question mods....if you dont want us using it because its "absurdly overused" why not un-tag it???

[moderator edit]

Because not everyone is cursed with such uninspired thinking for how to use the chunks tag than to respond to a post with hardly more than the chunks tag. They know it's uninspired, insipid, and childish and would never seriously complain about having a gratuitous use of the chunks tag removed from such a juvenile post.

Any other questions?

Corlose 15
08-31-2005, 03:43 PM
The idea of this trade instantly brings another name to mind...Matt Karchner.

Jjav829
08-31-2005, 04:02 PM
From what I've seen, Walker is marginal at 2B. 3B would be pretty unlikely. He's strictly another LH bat. But who would he replace. Blum has value as a utility IF that can play all IF positions. Ozuna has a place as a pinch runner. Walker doesn't do either well and they don't have anyone else to pinch run. They're not going to carry 7 IF.

He would replace McCarthy on the playoff roster. That's how you have to look at this. Right now, the playoff roster looks something like:

Pitchers (11): Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, El Duque, Contreras, Hermanson, Marte, Politte, Cotts, Jenks, Vizcaino
Hitters (13): Pierzynski, Widger, Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Blum, Ozuna, Podsednik, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Timo

That's 24, leaving one spot open. You only need 11 pitchers for the playoffs since at least one starter will go to the pen. So that 25th spot is going to go to a hitter. Gload and Willie are probably the only other options. Walker is more valuable than Willie and Gload apparently did something to piss off KW, so he might not be on the playoff roster. Enter Todd Walker as a guy who can possibly spell Iguchi and would be easily the best left-handed bat off the bench.

The Dude
08-31-2005, 04:06 PM
Question mods....if you dont want us using it because its "absurdly overused" why not un-tag it???

[moderator edit]

Because not everyone is cursed with such uninspired thinking for how to use the chunks tag than to respond to a post with hardly more than the chunks tag. They know it's uninspired, insipid, and childish and would never seriously complain about having a gratuitous use of the chunks tag removed from such a juvenile post.

Any other questions?

Yes, I do have another question. Is it necessary to be a complete smartass when responding to a simple question? I just asked a question and did not intend it to be a serious complaint.

FarWestChicago
08-31-2005, 04:10 PM
Yes, I do have another question. Is it necessary to be a complete smartass when responding to a simple question? I just asked a question and did not intend it to be a serious complaint.I didn't respond to the first question, but I'll take this one. Yes, it is necessary to answer such a silly question in that manner. :redneck

The Dude
08-31-2005, 04:19 PM
I didn't respond to the first question, but I'll take this one. Yes, it is necessary to answer such a silly question in that manner. :redneck

Fine..fine. I should know by now having been here for years that's how it works. I can handle it.:cool:

Anyways, back to the original thread topic...didnt mean to hijack it.

Todd Walker is a very smart player and would be a welcome addition to any team. I think he'd be great for the Indians and could end up hurting us this year and next year since he has that option in his contract.

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 04:26 PM
If Walker is going to play third base, this is a horrendous deal. This guy has 0 range. He really offers absolutely nothing defensively. He's more than a defenseive liability. DH'ing is the only option if we were to get him IMO.

JermaineDye05
08-31-2005, 04:42 PM
the bad part about this deal is that if we get walker and then win the world series damn cub fans won't shut up, just say that if it weren't for them we woulda never won

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2005, 04:44 PM
the bad part about this deal is that if we get walker and then win the world series...

You're kidding me right.

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 04:45 PM
the bad part about this deal is that if we get walker and then win the world series damn cub fans won't shut up, just say that if it weren't for them we woulda never won

We gotta make the playoffs first. Let's come home and get some wins against Detroit.

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 04:58 PM
He would replace McCarthy on the playoff roster. That's how you have to look at this. Right now, the playoff roster looks something like:

Pitchers (11): Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, El Duque, Contreras, Hermanson, Marte, Politte, Cotts, Jenks, Vizcaino
Hitters (13): Pierzynski, Widger, Konerko, Iguchi, Uribe, Crede, Blum, Ozuna, Podsednik, Rowand, Dye, Everett, Timo

That's 24, leaving one spot open. You only need 11 pitchers for the playoffs since at least one starter will go to the pen. So that 25th spot is going to go to a hitter. Gload and Willie are probably the only other options. Walker is more valuable than Willie and Gload apparently did something to piss off KW, so he might not be on the playoff roster. Enter Todd Walker as a guy who can possibly spell Iguchi and would be easily the best left-handed bat off the bench.I guess you're right. I forgot that they were carrying 12 pitchers right now. But still...

http://media.theinsiders.com/Media/MLB/500864_FrankThomas.JPG That's MY roster spot you're talking about.

twsoxfan5
08-31-2005, 05:09 PM

A couple of things we have to remember are that we do not have Walker yet and we have not won the World Series. I really think we have to think about making the playoffs before we talk World Series. If anyone thinks that the team we have seen for the last few weeks is a World Series champion they are sorely mistaken.

JermaineDye05
08-31-2005, 05:12 PM
yeah sorry bout that, didn't mean to say it like that but yeah, this whole season I been pretty much following the same philosophy of that recent white sox commercial ixnay talking about the ayoffs play, never like to say that the sox will for sure make it dont wana turn into DJ

Domeshot17
08-31-2005, 06:31 PM
The "insider" just reported Hendry would want a top outfield prospect back for Walker

EDIT: I do not think walker is worth a top OF spec, I wonder if Borchard way be worth dealing now. I know he is a risk at 3b. But right now, can we say this team is in a spot to not take a risk. Blum and Ozuna are not the answer with Crede out. With Detroit and KC coming up, it might be a few series to see how Walker could handle the position, Crede will come back the starter, and Walker would give us what we kind of need offensively, 300 hitter left handed bat some consistency. I was a fan of him when he was with Boston. He is a gutsy ball player, a Grinder, and I think he would fit in.

JermaineDye05
08-31-2005, 06:33 PM
eh a top outfield prospect isn't worth walker in my mind

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
The "insider" just reported Hendry would want a top outfield prospect back for Walker

"Here I am, big guy, come & get me!"

Taliesinrk
08-31-2005, 06:36 PM
Joe Borchard??

Taliesinrk
08-31-2005, 06:37 PM
You've gotta be kidding.. when i clicked reply his pic wasn't up there..

JermaineDye05
08-31-2005, 06:43 PM

"Here I am, big guy, come & get me!"

damn you beat me to it

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 08:38 PM
I don't know why I'm reporting this because of the source, but FWIW on the Baseball Show on XM radio they just said that the Sox were close to acquiring Walker. These are the same people who said that we basically had Ibanez and Pedro Feliz though. So, consider the source with caution and don't get your hopes up.

Jerko
08-31-2005, 09:12 PM
If we win the World Series with Todd Walker I'll paint 2 red and blue C's on my ass and run down Sheffield avenue. I can't believe somebody is actually worried about what Cub fans would say if the Sox won the WS! :rolleyes:

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 09:40 PM
If Walker is going to play third base, this is a horrendous deal. This guy has 0 range. He really offers absolutely nothing defensively. He's more than a defenseive liability. DH'ing is the only option if we were to get him IMO.No way Walker comes anywhere near third base. During the season, bench players need to play to spell the starters once in a while. That's not going to happen in the playoffs. Bench players are limited to pinch-hitting, pinch-running and late inning defensive replacements. Walker fills only the first of these roles. He could DH, too, since Everett sucks wind against RHP, but I don't see Ozzie benching Everett in the playoffs.

08-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Its 9:30...if something was going to happen, especially between 2 Chicago teams, then it would have happened by now, we have our team....hold your breath

soxjim
08-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Sure I would like the SOX to get some help if its not at a high cost. Otherwise I will be glad when the deadline passes and puts to rest all the rumors. Its now time to play ball. Lets go get the divison.

Domeshot17
08-31-2005, 10:45 PM
Levine reported Sox and Cubs having heated talks, He thinks it will get done, Says Hendry and Williams are kicking names around like crazy, both are very aggressive.

Levine also reporting Walker would be used at all 3, 2b-DH-3b

Sounds like Walker or Bust.

Mackowiak was talked about but the Sox didnt want him

What can sox fans take from this: Sox will get Mackowiak at 1055 pm

Jjav829
08-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Levine reported Sox and Cubs having heated talks, He thinks it will get done, Says Hendry and Williams are kicking names around like crazy, both are very aggressive.

Just wondering, when did you hear this report?

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 10:47 PM

Didn't you say we didn't want Mackowiak though?

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 10:49 PM
Just wondering, when did you hear this report?

I heard something slightly similar on ESPN 1000, but absolutely nothing about Mackowiak when I listened. Maybe I missed it.

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2005, 10:51 PM
1 hr 9 min til i can move on with my life

Banix12
08-31-2005, 10:53 PM

I don't know what Mackowiak has to do with anything, as I recall he never cleared waivers. I might be wrong but I swear I heard a couple weeks ago he was claimed and pulled back.

Domeshot17
08-31-2005, 10:54 PM
It was on at at about 945 on espn radio 1000, Mackowiak was mentioned after the host of the show asked if the Sox were looking anywhere beyond Walker

I was joking on Mackowiak as Levine is 99.84% wrong on his reports

DickAllen72
08-31-2005, 10:54 PM
I thought it was reported a few weeks ago that Mackowiak was pulled off of waivers after he was claimed by some other team. :?:

UofCSoxFan
08-31-2005, 10:57 PM
It was probably reported by Levine himself :?:

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 11:00 PM
Anyone think we have a shot at Walker in these last few hours?

Lip Man 1
08-31-2005, 11:01 PM
I think we should start making a list of all of Levine's wrong 'predictions'...I'll start:

1. Reported on Chicago Tribune Live, Frank Thomas wouldn't return until July 1st. (He was in the lineup Memorial Day...)

2. Reported the Sox were about to acquire Wes Helms...

Lip

oeo
08-31-2005, 11:02 PM
Anyone think we have a shot at Walker in these last few hours?

Don't we have only one hour remaining?

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
I think we should start making a list of all of Levine's wrong 'predictions'...I'll start:

1. Reported on Chicago Tribune Live, Frank Thomas wouldn't return until July 1st. (He was in the lineup Memorial Day...)

Lip

Ah, the Wes Helms rumor that sure brings me back lol. Remember when Levine used to be right all the time? I used to look to him for all my MLB information. He used to be a very reliable source. It would be great if he is finally right again. He was right about Mark Buehrle not missing any regular season games after his spring training game this spring.

santo=dorf
08-31-2005, 11:05 PM

Lip

Don't forget the signing of Omar Vizquel before both of those. (I know, it was close, but technically he was still wrong.)

08-31-2005, 11:12 PM

Lip

3. Asked by Silvy and Carmen if he had to bet, would he bet the Sox would have Griffey.....Bruuuuuce said he thought we would get him and gave his famous timeline "Something will get going in the next 7-10 days"

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-31-2005, 11:17 PM
well its almost over, and i never think anything levine says is right, so i guess we just have to surge with our good ol' offense.

JUribe1989
08-31-2005, 11:18 PM
well its almost over, and i never think anything levine says is right, so i guess we just have to surge with our good ol' offense.

Doesn't it end at 11 pm Central time? We still have time. Don't give up yet. Some deals go down last minute.

A. Cavatica
08-31-2005, 11:19 PM
If Todd Walker is the best we can do, we might as well bring up Greg Norton. At least he could play third in an emergency.

Unregistered
08-31-2005, 11:20 PM
Doesn't it end at 11 pm Central time? We still have time. Don't give up yet. Some deals go down last minute.Yep, we should know in about 40 minutes...

08-31-2005, 11:21 PM
If Todd Walker is the best we can do, we might as well bring up Greg Norton. At least he could play third in an emergency.

And I don't mean this in a smartass way, but isn't Walker hitting .300 or close to it? Theres one thing we don't have!!

Domeshot17
08-31-2005, 11:22 PM
plus, he brings more leadership/post season experience to the team

A. Cavatica
08-31-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes, he's a better player than Norton. But I don't see Ozzie using him much.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-31-2005, 11:26 PM
i dont think its gunna happen

Banix12
08-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Only a half hour left, and then we don't have to hear any Levine trade rumors until the offseason. Oh blissful splendor.

Soxzilla
08-31-2005, 11:38 PM
Levine is such a tool.

Domeshot17
08-31-2005, 11:43 PM
19 minutes...............

Think ( and I personally don't) Kenny reaches Bartman status if he doesnt make a trade? A ton of dark clouders out there.

dickallen15
08-31-2005, 11:43 PM

Lip
He said there was no way Freddy Garcia would sign an extension with the White Sox. He wanted to test free agency. Two or three days later the White Sox announced they had signed Garcia to an extension.

Domeshot17
09-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Another deadline

Another stand pat

This time however, with a lead 7 games less then last month.

Looks like they called Kennys Bluff

kevaoc76
09-01-2005, 12:38 AM
He said there was no way Freddy Garcia would sign an extension with the White Sox. He wanted to test free agency. Two or three days later the White Sox announced they had signed Garcia to an extension.

I thought he reported today - around 5 pm or so - that the Giants would definitely move Jason Christiansen in the next couple of hours...well, yeah, if by next couple of hours you meant yesterday Bruce.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2147330

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Levine continues to be consistent, but not in a good way. :(: Maybe the White Sox are going to acquire Walker after rosters expand simply to use him in September.

Mr. White Sox
09-01-2005, 12:53 AM
http://images.radcity.net/5176/584831.jpg
Well, it looks like the White Sox are in talks with Florida for Miguel Cabrera, who's natural position is third base, and Carlos Delgado, a powerful lefthanded bat that can help the Sox. Expect the deal to be done tonight.