PDA

View Full Version : The Tribune Sees The Light ?

SOXPHILE
08-31-2005, 09:44 AM
I don't know if anyone noticed this morning, but in the Chicago Tribune sports section, where they show the teams in the Wild Card race, the Cubs are no longer listed. They only have 5 teams listed- the Phillies, Marlins, Astros, Mets, and Nationals. I guess somebody over at the Tower woke up this morning, realized it was the last day of August, and their beloved, cute, blue baseball team was still 6 games under .500, and had no business being in any sort of Wild Card chase listing. Wow. This, along with the Tribune printing "The march to SOXTOBER" each day, makes me feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode or something...

harwar
08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
If they are going to show the lowly cubs as a wild card contender then they might as well include the Rockies and Pirates also.

MushMouth
08-31-2005, 09:49 AM
I don't know if anyone noticed this morning, but in the Chicago Tribune sports section, where they show the teams in the Wild Card race, the Cubs are no longer listed. They only have 5 teams listed- the Phillies, Marlins, Astros, Mets, and Nationals. I guess somebody over at the Tower woke up this morning, realized it was the last day of August, and their beloved, cute, blue baseball team was still 6 games under .500, and had no business being in any sort of Wild Card chase listing. Wow. This, along with the Tribune printing "The march to SOXTOBER" each day, makes me feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode or something...

I have noticed a genuine shift to a White Sox focus - at least in terms of extra beat-stories and notes. Also, Sox are getting the above-the-fold story exclusively now (if its a baseball story at all). The columnists still blow.

But, it makes for a better train ride in the morning...

Iwritecode
08-31-2005, 10:22 AM
With the announcement of shutting down Wood for the year the Cubs have pretty much made it official that they've finally given up on the year.

The Cubune is just following suit...

Tekijawa
08-31-2005, 10:26 AM
along with the Tribune printing "The march to SOXTOBER" each day, makes me feel like I'm in a Twilight Zone episode or something...

I would kind of like to See "The march to CUBAPRIL"

mdep524
08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
I would kind of like to See "The march to CUBAPRIL" :rolling: Don't give them any ideas, Tekij!

SOXPHILE
08-31-2005, 11:04 AM

Ha ! You're probably not that far off. I have a sneaking suspicion that all throughout the fall and winter, we'll be given periodic, or weekly updates on the Wood Watch. Examples:

10/15/05: Yesterday, Kerry picked up and drank a 12 oz. can of soda with only mild discomfort

11/30/05: Tribune reporter Paul Sullivan joined Kerry Wood & his family for Thanksgiving. Kerry helped carve the turkey, and afterwords, said his arm "felt fine." Looked forward to shopping the next day with his wife.

12/20/05-12/30/05: Tribune Metro section columnist Eric Zorn spent the Christmas holidays with Cub phenom Kerry Wood. He joined the Cubs ace in singing carols, drinking eggnog, and wrapping presents. Said Wood: "This is the best Christmas ever, my arm and shoulder feel great. That's the best present of all. I want to take this time to wish all our great fans all the best this holiday season". Take that you stupid Sox fans, you Scrooges ! says Zorn.

2/14/06: Kerry Wood told his wife he loves her, gave her flowers and a box of chocolates. "The arm feels awesome. I can't wait for spring training. Pitchers and catchers report in another week, and I'm really excited."

3/1/06: Cubs G.M. Jim Hendry and manager Dusty Baker expected to hold a press conference today to announce that Kerry Wood had suffered a "mild setback", and will resume throwing a towel in about 2 weeks. This could put in jeapordy his schedule to be ready for opening day.

Letmehearya
08-31-2005, 11:37 AM
If they do another Carrie Wood watch [likely they will] it's to set up a trade. I think even Jim Hendry's sick of Carrie Wood. Maybe they can fool the Rangers into giving them some of their talent. Is Hart dumb enough to trade a Blaylock, Texeira or Young for this bum? I hope not.

Jerko
08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Ha ! You're probably not that far off. I have a sneaking suspicion that all throughout the fall and winter, we'll be given periodic, or weekly updates on the Wood Watch. Examples:

10/15/05: Yesterday, Kerry picked up and drank a 12 oz. can of soda with only mild discomfort

11/30/05: Tribune reporter Paul Sullivan joined Kerry Wood & his family for Thanksgiving. Kerry helped carve the turkey, and afterwords, said his arm "felt fine." Looked forward to shopping the next day with his wife.

12/20/05-12/30/05: Tribune Metro section columnist Eric Zorn spent the Christmas holidays with Cub phenom Kerry Wood. He joined the Cubs ace in singing carols, drinking eggnog, and wrapping presents. Said Wood: "This is the best Christmas ever, my arm and shoulder feel great. That's the best present of all. I want to take this time to wish all our great fans all the best this holiday season". Take that you stupid Sox fans, you Scrooges ! says Zorn.

2/14/06: Kerry Wood told his wife he loves her, gave her flowers and a box of chocolates. "The arm feels awesome. I can't wait for spring training. Pitchers and catchers report in another week, and I'm really excited."

3/1/06: Cubs G.M. Jim Hendry and manager Dusty Baker expected to hold a press conference today to announce that Kerry Wood had suffered a "mild setback", and will resume throwing a towel in about 2 weeks. This could put in jeapordy his schedule to be ready for opening day.

You left out 1-1-06: Kerry Wood not able to control cork from New Year's champagne bottle because of bad arm; cork hits guest Mark Prior in the elbow, both forced to drink simulated champagne. Uninvited guest Sosa absconds with the Cork, leaves early without permission, while Zambrano plays on the internet in the next room and Baker scopes out 17 year old interns for New Year's kisses.

chuckn98229
08-31-2005, 12:03 PM

I would prefer to see 'The March to Cublivion!"

LuvSox
08-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed this morning

Nope, sure didn't. I don't buy that rag. I am not giving that company even one penny. And neither should you.

HotelWhiteSox
08-31-2005, 01:19 PM
When I read the title I thought it had something to do with the Rangers stealing signs :redface:

chitownhawkfan
08-31-2005, 01:25 PM
Nope, sure didn't. I don't buy that rag. I am not giving that company even one penny. And neither should you.

The Tribune giving us coverage reminds me of a guy hoping to go to prom with someone and getting denied and having to turn to his less desirable safety option. DONT FALL PREY TO THEIR PANDERING DONT SUPPORT THE EVIL EMPIRE.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Does the cub times still have their idiotic Sox 2005 Record / Lead and the 1969 cubs Record / Lead caption next to the game report? Or is it assumed by the sports editor the Sox have no chance and this "feature" is redundant?

Dan H
09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Does the cub times still have their idiotic Sox 2005 Record / Lead and the 1969 cubs Record / Lead caption next to the game report? Or is it assumed by the sports editor the Sox have no chance and this "feature" is redundant?

I don't get the Sun-Times anymore so I didn't see any comparisons between Sox 05 and Cubs 69 records. But here are the records going into the September for the past four Sox championship teams:

1959 80-49

1983 75-57

1993 74-57

2000 79-54

The Sox record for '05 ranks as second best. That is an extremely good sign. However, I still think they need to turn it around and do it now. Getting into bad losing habits going in the playoffs is not good. Winning the division is great but I want more . All Sox fans should want more.

miker
09-02-2005, 01:50 PM
DONT FALL PREY TO THEIR PANDERING DONT SUPPORT THE EVIL EMPIRE.
Amen brother! Having the Cubune say nice things about the Sox is about the same as your estranged spouse's divorce attorney saying nice things about you before he/she takes you to the cleaners...

buehrle4cy05
09-02-2005, 02:41 PM
You left out 1-1-06: Kerry Wood not able to control cork from New Year's champagne bottle because of bad arm; cork hits guest Mark Prior in the elbow, both forced to drink simulated champagne. Uninvited guest Sosa absconds with the Cork, leaves early without permission, while Zambrano plays on the internet in the next room

:rolling: