PDA

View Full Version : frank back for playoffs? From mlb.com

kittle42
08-30-2005, 08:56 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050830&content_id=1190212&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

NSSoxFan
08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
This would be too good to be true.

buehrle4cy05
08-30-2005, 08:58 PM
I'd welcome him back. Just the prescense of him being on the bench would be great, and to have him hit, that would be even better.

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 08:59 PM
great...something else to get my hopes up over

Brian26
08-30-2005, 09:03 PM
So many positives in that article...

You think the Chicago media will pick up on the fact that Frank is going to try to spend the last month of the season with the team as much as possible for moral support? Highly unlikely.

Bringing back Frank would be such a huge emotional and psychological boost to this team in the playoffs. Cross your fingers!

Palehose13
08-30-2005, 09:05 PM
"Of course," said Thomas, whose 12 home runs this season left him at 448 for his career, when asked if he preferred to stay with the White Sox. "But you just never know how things are going to work out. My goal is definitely to retire here, if I get a chance.

"I think everybody wanted me to be done, but I'm not going to be done. I'm going to try to get this thing back together. My goal is still to get those 52 home runs. I've worked too hard my whole career to get there and I'm going to do whatever it takes to get back."

Please make it happen, Uncle Jerry!

Palehose13
08-30-2005, 09:07 PM

You think the Chicago media will pick up on the fact that Frank is going to try to spend the last month of the season with the team as much as possible for moral support? Highly unlikely.

No, but I do know that someone here was quick to point out that Frank wasn't in the clubhouse on Monday. I'm sure that the he was late (because he was helping family members affected by the hurricane) will NEVER see the light of day in a Chicago newspaper.

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Outside of a WS, this might be my fondest hope for the Sox - for Frank to come back and hit #500 & retire all with the team.

And inclusive of a WS, my #1 hope would be Frank Thomas as WS MVP.

HotelWhiteSox
08-30-2005, 09:14 PM
From the blog:

Frank Stops In

Frank Thomas (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=123245) stopped into the White Sox clubhouse today before the doubleheader (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/scoreboard/sb_20050830.html) in Texas, saying his ankle was beginning to show signs of healing. He is scheduled to visit the doctor on Thursday for another checkup.

Banix12
08-30-2005, 09:34 PM
Well even if he wasn't 100% he could certainly be helpful off the bench as a pinch hitter if his ankle was good enough to take hacks off of.

The 25th man on most playoff rosters are often pretty useless guys, you don't usually need all the pitchers in the pen you had in the regular season and your bench guys don't get a ton of play because of the importance of the game. Carrying Frank as a 25th man, pinch hitter isn't a bad idea over carrying say an extra pitcher like Bajanaru or an extra utility man.

DickAllen72
08-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Bruce Levine has been reporting that Jose Valentin told him that he heard from mutual friends in Las Vegas that Frank is seriously considering retiring because he does not want to be crippled for the rest of his life.

Levine said it's likely Frank's career has ended.

I know how well regarded Levine's reports are here.

Brian26
08-30-2005, 10:03 PM
Bruce Levine has been reporting that Jose Valentin told him that he heard from mutual friends in Las Vegas that Frank is seriously considering retiring because he does not want to be crippled for the rest of his life.

The article, which quotes Frank directly, completely contradicts that. Shouldn't Levine put his clown shoes away since the circus tent on the north side has officially folded for the year?

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 10:09 PM
Does the name Kirk Gibson mean anything to anyone?

DickAllen72
08-30-2005, 10:15 PM
But where is he gonna play?

HotelWhiteSox
08-30-2005, 10:23 PM

According to the Sox postgame on CSN, Frank denied that report, he is the one who is implying he could be back by October. TO-like recovery? ;)

Argalarga
08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
I think if Frank can come back for the playoffs, if only for a few at-bats, it'll be a huge boost to the team. And what better way to retire (and maybe goose your chances to make the HOF) than to go out with a run at a ring?

Frankfan4life
08-30-2005, 10:35 PM
Frank coming back next year to play for the Sox would be great news. The possiblilty of Frank playing this year is terrific, fantastic, deliriously, wonderful news. :D:

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery. :gulp:

gf2020
08-30-2005, 10:37 PM
You know what?

:threadrules:

Deadguy
08-30-2005, 11:00 PM

I figured as much after he was ruled out for the rest of the season. If the injury isn't as serious as the one from 2004, and it can heal without surgery, I don't see why he wouldn't give it one more shot.

If he does have to have surgery, though, he should probably hang it up. It would have taken until 2006 for him to completely heal from the 2004 injury, and if he had another fracture of that nature, he's not going to wait around until 2007, and try and go for 500 homers on a Minor League contract with the D-Rays, and risk doing permanent damage. His life is less than half over, and there's no reason to live in pain for the rest of his life trying to reach what essentially is just a number.

As far as playing in the playoffs, I don't know what to think about that. If he could do what he was doing in June, that would be nice. But he looked horrible in July. It's admirable when players try to play through injuries, but there's a point when it could really hurt the team (no pun intended).

Lip Man 1
08-30-2005, 11:10 PM
That would be a nice dilemma to have. I can't see it happening but fate works in mysterious ways.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 11:11 PM

I know how well regarded Levine's reports are here.Levine is one of the most reliable sources of information...IF you know how to interpret it. Think of him as a compass that always points south.

gf2020
08-31-2005, 12:06 AM
From http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050830soxbrite,1,5574334.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I think everyone wanted me done, but I'm not going to be done.

I love that man.

TFLEM33
08-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Frank Thomas finishing his career in Chicago would be a great thing. I have always enjoyed watching Frank play. His mere presence in the lineup can really mess with a pitcher's head. He is the true symbol of the White Sox, and I believe it would be a shame for him to finish his career elsewhere. I truly hope Reinsdorf and Kenny can work out a fair, incentive-laden deal that would allow Frank to finish his career in a Sox uniform and let him take his place in history beside other Sox greats.

As far as the playoffs go, I would be really surprised to see The Big Hurt ready to go. He is older and heals slower than guys that are in their 20s. I think it is wishful thinking to expect him to come back this year. Although, I would be extremely excited if his name is added to the playoff roster.

Go Sox! Magic Number is 25!

StockdaleForVeep
08-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Normally id say let him rest so he can come back sooner next season but since he prob wont be back, go down in glory

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-31-2005, 07:12 AM

Bringing back Frank would be such a huge emotional and psychological boost to this team in the playoffs. Cross your fingers!

Two points -

If Frank were able to come back this year, for the post season, all the media is going to be the 1st to say, "he rushed back, twlight of his career, blah blah blah...there won't be one report as to the progress of his injury. Meanwhile, a certain pitcher from the North Side will probably get a "recovery cam" set up in his private hospital room because, AGAIN, he's having surgery due to his lack of throwing mechanics.

Frank coming back, just to be in the clubhouse, is awesome. Imagine the mental game of his being able to DH, and sitting on the bench....like an Ace up Ozzie's sleeve.

Anyone else notice the story in the ST? I swear, the way the 1st paragraph read, it was almost verbatim what alot of us have said on this site. Where's our copyright infringement? :cool:

samram
08-31-2005, 08:19 AM

Chalk up another error for Jose.:D:

Baby Fisk
08-31-2005, 08:54 AM
Coming this October...

:hurt
*breathing*

Cellview22
08-31-2005, 08:58 AM
Shouldn't Levine put his clown shoes away since the circus tent on the north side has officially folded for the year?

This has to be the post of the week, or post of the month!! :D:
That's hilarious!

MushMouth
08-31-2005, 09:42 AM
Coming this October...

:hurt
*breathing*

Oh man, that would be great.

Even just as a late-inning pinch hitter. We're talking about a 50/50 chance he gets a HR or a walk!

jortafan
08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
Would somebody explain to me how the rules work for establishing playoff and World Series rosters.

Assuming that Frank would be healed enough to play in October (and that's a big assumption), what maneuvering would have to be done to make him eligible for post-season play? Technically, he's not on the roster now.

I know the fact that he's on the disabled list figures in somehow, but I'm not sure exactly how.

So would one of the "most knowledgable" fans in baseball explain this to me.

Flight #24
08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
As far as playing in the playoffs, I don't know what to think about that. If he could do what he was doing in June, that would be nice. But he looked horrible in July. It's admirable when players try to play through injuries, but there's a point when it could really hurt the team (no pun intended).

Look at it this way: This type of fracture seems to be related to use/wear rather than a sudden impact (although I'm sure one of our resident docs could confirm/deny this - beckett21, where you at?). Based on that, it seems likely that you could get a productive couple of weeks out of Frank before the wear/pain builds up enough to start lessening his ability.

Today & tomorrow are going to be interesting to see if we add a bat via trade, and if the news on Frank tomorrow is positive. There's still a slight, slight, slight hope that the deepest of deep pink lineups could be seen in the playoffs: Pods (LF)-Iguchi(2B)-Griffey(CF)-Frank(DH)-Konerko(1B)-Dye(RF)-AJ(C)-Crede(3B)-Uribe(SS).

Yes, I know that sits Rowand, but it's either him or Dye.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-31-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't know if Frank is REALLY available for the playoffs, but I do know one thing for sure: I LOVE the timing of this bit of news.
:thumbsup:

The September 1 waiver deadline is upon us and suddenly KW has a bit more leverage for any last minute deals he might be contemplating.
:cool:

:KW
"Well sure we would love Griffey, but Frank is available for October and like my play-by-play guy was saying just last week, 'Where's he gonna, play?' Maybe if you came down a bit on your price we could figure something out..."

mdep524
08-31-2005, 11:33 AM
Today & tomorrow are going to be interesting to see if we add a bat via trade, and if the news on Frank tomorrow is positive. There's still a slight, slight, slight hope that the deepest of deep pink lineups could be seen in the playoffs: Pods (LF)-Iguchi(2B)-Griffey(CF)-Frank(DH)-Konerko(1B)-Dye(RF)-AJ(C)-Crede(3B)-Uribe(SS).

Yes, I know that sits Rowand, but it's either him or Dye. That line up is downright sick! I love Aaron, but going into Game 1 of the WS with that line up might just bring a tear to my eye.

Paulwny
08-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Would somebody explain to me how the rules work for establishing playoff and World Series rosters.

Assuming that Frank would be healed enough to play in October (and that's a big assumption), what maneuvering would have to be done to make him eligible for post-season play? Technically, he's not on the roster now.

I know the fact that he's on the disabled list figures in somehow, but I'm not sure exactly how.

So would one of the "most knowledgable" fans in baseball explain this to me.

I heard the following during a yankmee broadcast. J Sterling was discussing the possibility of one of the yank pitchers (Pavano?), who is on the dl, being ready for the play-offs. He claimed that one of the yank pitchers would have to be injured and placed on the dl, then Pavano (?) could be added to the roster. He chuckled ( I guess any team can claim a player is injured and place them on the dl).
He said, the change had to be positional player for positional player.
If I understood him correctly, Frank being a dh, 1b could replace anyone who was a dh or 1b during the season as long as that player is placed on the dl.
I also assume that the player placed on the dl would be ineligible for the play-offs.

hawkjt
08-31-2005, 12:09 PM
I beleive you can add or subtract to the roster before each round of the playoffs if the guy is on the dl. I think we could add frank at any time since he is on the dl.

The major benefit of not getting Griffey is that it keeps open the hope of Frank coming back to finish his career. Frank in October? Long shot but I love the concept.

beckett21
08-31-2005, 01:01 PM
Look at it this way: This type of fracture seems to be related to use/wear rather than a sudden impact (although I'm sure one of our resident docs could confirm/deny this - beckett21, where you at?). Based on that, it seems likely that you could get a productive couple of weeks out of Frank before the wear/pain builds up enough to start lessening his ability.

There's only one way to know for sure, and that would be to play and see what happens. Would he aggrvate it? Probably, but some pain is to be expected.

The main factors are: is the fracture healed, and can he tolerate the subsequent pain provided that the fracture is healed and he is not risking any further damage to a healing bone. At some point he will probably be faced with a career decision, but he could probably put up with it for a playoff run. This is purely speculative on my part; I have no idea what his current status is as far as the fracture goes.

Hell, if Schilling can pitch with a dislocated tendon sutured to his ankle for a month, I know Frank is tougher than that guy. :D:

Ol' No. 2
08-31-2005, 01:10 PM
There's only one way to know for sure, and that would be to play and see what happens. Would he aggrvate it? Probably, but some pain is to be expected.

The main factors are: is the fracture healed, and can he tolerate the subsequent pain provided that the fracture is healed and he is not risking any further damage to a healing bone. At some point he will probably be faced with a career decision, but he could probably put up with it for a playoff run. This is purely speculative on my part; I have no idea what his current status is as far as the fracture goes.

Hell, if Schilling can pitch with a dislocated tendon sutured to his ankle for a month, I know Frank is tougher than that guy. :D:Most playoff teams have guys on their bench whose only role is to pinch hit - not an insignificant role in NL parks. If he never got into a game, having Frank Thomas on the bench as a potential pinch hitter would give opposing managers something to think about. He'd be worth it just for that.

Rikirk
08-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Frank Thomas:

Once a White Sox----

Always A White Sox.

----I hope I hope I Hope!:rolleyes:

downstairs
08-31-2005, 06:31 PM
I don't see a scenario where Frank wouldn't play in the playoffs.

Its worth it even if it ends his career, which I can't believe it will do. I could care less about 500 home runs, and we're not in "next season" mode, we're in "this season" mode.

If we had a Griffey or other Thomas-like bat in the line up, maybe not. But we don't, and its rather clear that we need him.

He's just got to find a way to make it happen.

Domeshot17
08-31-2005, 06:46 PM
I think Frank needs to be here the last week of the season. For as much crap as I give Carl I do not think its fair to him to run out a 60-70% healthy Thomas when we dont know how much help he can be. I mean, I love big frank, he was my idol growing up. But We gotta see IF he can hit before we let him play.

And for anyone who thinks this, this is not a Dark Cloud post. I just would hate to see a Scenario where Frank wasnt ready and ruined the rest of his career in one at bat. If he can come back and give us 1-2 good at bats a game, I am all for it.