PDA

View Full Version : Why not get Mike Sweeny?

DrGiggles
08-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Mike Sweeney was not in the lineup tonight against the Twins. Is he hurt or may this be because of a trade in the making?

dickallen15
08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
sore back

DrGiggles
08-29-2005, 11:09 PM
thanks

santo=dorf
08-29-2005, 11:12 PM
sore back
<teal>:o: </teal>

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
He can really mash at the plate. He is a clutch hitter. We need another bat in our lineup badly. He can DH or play 1st and can platoon with Everett. Also, Carl can play the OF for a few times too. I don't want the Angels to get him. We need one more bat in a major way or we won't make it out of the 1st round.

Cmon Kenny....don't give up on this thing yet. Go get us a big hitter!!!!!!!!!!! Our pitching staff really deserves it for us to help score more runs for them.

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
He can really mash at the plate. He is a clutch hitter. We need another bat in our lineup badly. He can DH or play 1st and can platoon with Everett. Also, Carl can play the OF for a few times too. I don't want the Angels to get him. We need one more bat in a major way or we won't make it out of the 1st round.

Cmon Kenny....don't give up on this thing yet. Go get us a big hitter!!!!!!!!!!! Our pitching staff really deserves it for us to help score more runs for them.http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56818

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Oh. Thanks for the information. Supposedly, the Angels are really going after him still.

Flight #24
08-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Mike Sweeney makes the same salary as Griffey, but without the deferrals, which is a big deal. He's also a righty. And he has a no-trade to all but 8 teams, and the Sox aren't one of the 8 (LAA is).

Still, it wouldn't be a bad move depending on what he costs (hopefully cheap). He can DH, or replace Konerko, and you'd like to think that he'd be willing to come to Chicago to join a winning team that with him + the rotation + the young talent would look like a division favorite for the next couple of years. Especially when he's been with the Royals for so long. But you never know if the royals would be willing to do an intra-divisional trade, and/or if he's got something against the Sox after playing against them in-division for so long.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-30-2005, 12:04 AM
<teal>:o: </teal>
I think it was two years ago that Sweeney had his middle name legally changed to "Sore Back".

As in, "Let's trade for Mike 'Sore Back' Sweeney! He can join Hermanson and Konerko in traction."

Don't worry - he'll be just healthy enough to drive in 4 or 5 runs per game the next time the Sox play the Royals.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I only know what I read. The Royals want some sucker errr team, to pick up his entire remaining salary AND give them three top prospects.

That's why he isn't coming to the White Sox.

Lip

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 12:21 AM
I only know what I read. The Royals want some sucker errr team, to pick up his entire remaining salary AND give them three top prospects.

That's why he isn't coming to the White Sox.

Lip

That would also mean he ain't going anywhere. And more to the point for all 5 Royals fans, that also means the Royals aren't going anywhere because they're run by a bunch of morons.

samram
08-30-2005, 12:31 AM
That would also mean he ain't going anywhere. And more to the point for all 5 Royals fans, that also means the Royals aren't going anywhere because they're run by a bunch of morons.

Yep. Moreno isn't adding another $40 or $50 million in commitments to Sweeney when he's already paying big sums to guys like Colon, Vlad, Anderson, etc. He's also going to have to start paying KRod, Figgins, etc., in the near future. Sweeney will be in KC for the foreseen future.

HotelWhiteSox
08-30-2005, 12:46 AM
Sweeney will be in KC for the foreseen future.

Isn't he a free agent next year? Isn't that why they want to get something for him (I may be wrong and I'm too lazy to check :smile: )

I would've liked Tony Clark but I think Arizona just resigned him. Dude is on fire!

Lip Man 1
08-30-2005, 12:50 AM
I don't think Sweeney is a free agent next year and the 'justification' by the Royals is the same as the Reds with Griffey. Ownership is already despised in those two towns...they don't want to deal their only remaining drawing card for next season and take more abuse as well as a dramatic attendance drop.

Lip

samram
08-30-2005, 09:48 AM
Isn't he a free agent next year? Isn't that why they want to get something for him (I may be wrong and I'm too lazy to check :smile: )

I would've liked Tony Clark but I think Arizona just resigned him. Dude is on fire!

If Sweeney was a free agent next year, his contract wouldn't be an issue and he would have been long gone at the deadline.

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
$12.5mil through '07 for Sweeney. $12mil through '08 for Griffey, but with half deferred.