View Full Version : *Official* 3 Unearned Runs, Clouds Party postgame thread

chisoxmike
08-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Rant n rave

Nice game by Iguchi

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 10:35 PM
Errors kill.

Just come out tomorrow ready to play. Hopefully we can sweep the doubleheader, if not a split is just fine.

SOXandILLINI
he had a bad game defensively, he has won many more than he's cost us. i'll never jump off his ship.

JUribe1989
bull**** game. Everett needs a day off. I want the September call ups right away. I can't wait for them, hopefully Chris Young will be added to the 40 man. We gotta sweep the doubleheader tomorrow with the way the Indians are playing. McCarthy against Texas. (Insert puke picture here)

Viva Medias B's
08-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Here we are back to 7 games in front of Cleveland.

AnkleSox
08-29-2005, 10:37 PM
carl seems to be a good hitter at any time except w/ 2 outs in the ninth. not gonna blame the game on him though. buehrle gets screwed again by bad defense.

chisoxmike
bull**** game. Everett needs a day off. I want the September call ups right away. I can't wait for them, hopefully Chris Young will be added to the 40 man. We gotta sweep the doubleheader tomorrow with the way the Indians are playing. McCarthy against Texas. (Insert puke picture here)

You want these guys playing big games?

DickAllen72
Willie Harris to the rescue! :gulp:

Iguchi looks tired and he has it rough with Shingo gone and with Willie being away. It was reported earlier in the season that Shingo and Willie were his two closest friends on the team.

He'll be OK, but he needs a rest and Willie is the best defensive 2B on the 40 man roster anyway.

TaylorStSox
08-29-2005, 10:38 PM

lol

itsnotrequired
Ugh. That's all that can really be said. Iguchi's worst game of the year combined with a bad outing by Mark and Lady Luck sitting in Texas' corner and you got yourself an uphill battle.

Get 'em tomorrow, boys...

JB98
They say good pitching beats good hitting, but when we go to Texas, the Rangers' good hitting often takes care of our good pitching. They had good swings against Buerhle tonight. We were down 2-0 before we knew what hit us. And, of course, Iguchi's defense sealed our fate.

As for our offense......<sigh>

MIgrenade
08-29-2005, 10:39 PM

So you think some AA guys are going to come in and be better than the major leaguers? It was a bad game but call ups aren't going to help that.

Kogs35
blah well get em tomorow x2. can gain 3 games in the magic number collumn 2 1/2 in the standing collumn tomorow

itsnotrequired

Yeah, let's bench all the regulars and play the fresh meat.:rolleyes:

TaylorStSox
08-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Willie Harris to the rescue! :gulp:

Iguchi looks tired and he has it rough with Shingo gone and with Willie being away. It was reported earlier in the season that Shingo and Willie were his two closest friends on the team.

He'll be OK, but he needs a rest and Willie is the best defensive 2B on the 40 man roster anyway.

I gotta agree. Tadahito needs a rest. Willie isn't great with the bat, aside from drawing walks, but he plays a good 2nd base and adds speed.

Soxfanspcu11
08-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Dont worry about cleveland, or minnesota. Seriously, we own cleveland this year and minnesota had nothing without hunter (well maybe wild card).

Really, dont get down on the sox, that dont need that negative vibes crap, they will be fine, they always have trouble in texas, but they will win this series.

There really is nothing to worry about, were just a bunch of spoiled sox fans(myself included)

Keep everything in persepective and dont lose focus!

Dan H
08-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Here we are back to 7 games in front of Cleveland.

The Indians are not going away. The White Sox can't afford to give away games especially to lowlife teams like Texas.

TaylorStSox
Something makes me think that WSI's verson of Uribe was hitting the bottle a little tonight. :gulp:

JB98

You're insane. It's up to the guys who have been here all year to put a winning streak together and put this division away. If you're waiting for the calvary to come, you've got a long wait.

SOXandILLINI
speed that leads to nothing... he is a terrible base stealer, and a mediocre baserunner in general.... plus, he adds a capital A to anemic offensively

itsnotrequired
08-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I gotta agree. Tadahito needs a rest. Willie isn't great with the bat, aside from drawing walks, but he plays a good 2nd base and adds speed.

I realize they play a shorter season in Japan but hasn't Iguchi had plenty of rest? I think Hawk said that this was only game 107 for him. Could he really be that tired?

DickAllen72
08-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm still wondering who is going down to make room for McCarthy tomorrow. :?:

chisoxmike
08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
Yeah, let's bench all the regulars and play the fresh meat.:rolleyes:

September 1st lineup

Harris 2B
Anderson LF
Borchard RF
Gload DH
Fields 3B
Widger C
Perez CF
Rogowski 1B
Lopez SS

TaylorStSox
08-29-2005, 10:43 PM
I realize they play a shorter season in Japan but hasn't Iguchi had plenty of rest? I think Hawk said that this was only game 107 for him. Could he really be that tired?

You have to include travel. The travel in Japan isn't nearly as rigorous as it it in the states. Also, he's under alot of pressure here. It has to be draining. Lastly, he's hitting in the toughest spot there is. It's the first time he's hit 2nd.

Huisj
08-29-2005, 10:44 PM
For some reason the Rangers just seem locked in against our pitching. It was that way in Texas earlier in the year too. Scary lineup. Sox seem to have the same troubles with them at Texas as they do on the road at Oakland. Just one of those places.

Hopefully it stops being one of those places tomorrow. Both games are on Comcast, right? I guess I'll head home from school at 4 and sit on the couch for 7 hours or so (that is if the games aren't too frustrating).

itsnotrequired
08-29-2005, 10:45 PM
September 1st lineup

Harris 2B
Anderson LF
Borchard RF
Gload DH
Fields 3B
Widger C
Perez CF
Rogowski 1B
Lopez SS

Here comes the cavalry!

http://www.pbs.org/empires/napoleon/n_war/weapon/images/cavalry.jpg

JB98
08-29-2005, 10:45 PM

Maybe Crede is going to the DL?

I was surprised Adkins got sent down in favor of Baj. I figured Adkins would be the guy sent out to make room for McCarthy.

DickAllen72
08-29-2005, 10:46 PM
I think it's like DJ said--it's a mental tiredness from being in a strange environment. The stress can be emotionally and mentally exhausting. You can tell by his facial expressions and his body language the past few days that he's not feeling right.

TheOldRoman
08-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Buehrle just didn't have it tonight. I realize that he gave up 3 unearned runs, but he still pitched like crap. It seemed like every inning the Rangers put the leadoff man on. This pretty much means Mark wont get to 20 wins this year. The Sox offense didn't give them a chance, their defense didnt give them a chance, and Buehrle didn't give them a chance.
Better luck tomorrow.

DickAllen72
08-29-2005, 10:47 PM
Maybe Crede is going to the DL?

I was surprised Adkins got sent down in favor of Baj. I figured Adkins would be the guy sent out to make room for McCarthy.
Crede is being put on the DL, but it's been reported that Willie Harris is taking his place.

JB98
08-29-2005, 10:47 PM
September 1st lineup

Harris 2B
Anderson LF
Borchard RF
Gload DH
Fields 3B
Widger C
Perez CF
Rogowski 1B
Lopez SS

What about Jaime Burke and Greg Norton?

itsnotrequired
08-29-2005, 10:48 PM
You have to include travel. The travel in Japan isn't nearly as rigorous as it it in the states. Also, he's under alot of pressure here. It has to be draining. Lastly, he's hitting in the toughest spot there is. It's the first time he's hit 2nd.

I think it's like DJ said--it's a mental tiredness from being in a strange environment. The stress can be emotionally and mentally exhausting. You can tell by his facial expressions and his body language the past few days that he's not feeling right.

Ah, good points. A few extra days off can't hurt (not too many in a row though).

chisoxmike
What about Jaime Burke and Greg Norton?

They'll be on the bench for a 9th inning rally like tonight!!!! Especially for that Angles series in a few weeks.

NSSoxFan
It's good to see that there are still PLENTY of dark clouds rolling around in here. You provide enough humor from your posts to last me a couple of days. In a nutshell, you are all lunatics. If it isn't sad/funny enough that each and everyone of you piss your pants after every loss, you go number two your pants because of the Cleveland freakin' Injuns. Add on top of this the fact that it seems your mood depends on if the White Sox win or lose, your application into the local mental asylum seems complete.

In 2000, George and staff compiled a bunch of Totally Biased Post-Game Reports that defined the season. This time, I suggest to them to compile all of the ludicrous things that have been thrown around these message board by you lunatics. Get a grip, geeez.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 10:49 PM
I think this is a .500 team right now. We have very good pitching and below average hitting. We got lucky in the 1st half and surprised people, and now teams are catching on to us. We desperately needed offensive help, and Blum was the best we can do. At this point I'll be content if we just make the playoffs, but I'm not very confident we will go far. :(:

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I think this is a .500 team right now. We have very good pitching and below average hitting. We got lucky in the 1st half and surprised people, and now teams are catching on to us. We desperately needed offensive help, and Blum was the best we can do. At this point I'll be content if we just make the playoffs, but I'm not very confident we will go far. :(:

Add another to the list of lunatics.

Soxfanspcu11
That was marks second worst outing of the year (first at home vs oakland when he gave up like 7 earned or something and oakland won 10-1)

But it happens!

Whatever happened to mark jumping out 0-1 on like EVERYONE? He seems like his control has been shaky as of late

JB98
It's good to see that there are still PLENTY of dark clouds rolling around in here. You provide enough humor from your posts to last me a couple of days. In a nutshell, you are all lunatics. If it isn't sad/funny enough that each and everyone of you piss your pants after every loss, you go number two your pants because of the Cleveland freakin' Injuns. Add on top of this the fact that it seems your mood depends on if the White Sox win or lose, your application into the local mental asylum seems complete.

In 2000, George and staff compiled a bunch of Totally Biased Post-Game Reports that defined the season. This time, I suggest to them to compile all of the ludicrous things that have been thrown around these message board by you lunatics. Get a grip, geeez.

Other than the guy who wants to play all the September call-ups, who is being a lunatic? :?:

And we're already ridiculing that guy.

Brian26
08-29-2005, 10:51 PM
You want these guys playing big games?

Yeah, I don't get that comment either. Chris Young may be a good player in the future, but he's not better than the guys we have in the outfield/DH right now.

TaylorStSox
08-29-2005, 10:52 PM
MB's not pitching inside. Everything is outside or down the middle. It might be because his change isn't working.

I'd like to see him throw his cutter into RH hitters more.

I'm not a pitching coach though. I don't know what I'm talkin about. :redneck

Letmehearya
08-29-2005, 10:54 PM
That was marks second worst outing of the year (first at home vs oakland when he gave up like 7 earned or something and oakland won 10-1)

But it happens!

Whatever happened to mark jumping out 0-1 on like EVERYONE? He seems like his control has been shaky as of late

That was the recipe for success in the first half. I hope Pods can get something going tomorrow. Getting the lead puts pressure on the other guys and allows our dominant starters to control the game. Cleveland is 19-7 this month. Tip your hat. Let's not worry about them, let's pile up our own wins and not back into the playoffs.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Add another to the list of lunatics. This is not the same team we saw in the 1st half. I seriously hope they can turn it on again in september, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we will play about .500 the rest of the way because of our pitching, but this offense is abysmal. I just hope the Tribe cool off SOON. :o:

TaylorStSox
08-29-2005, 10:59 PM
This is not the same team we saw in the 1st half. I seriously hope they can turn it on again in september, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we will play about .500 the rest of the way because of our pitching, but this offense is abysmal. I just hope the Tribe cool off SOON. :o:

Was the offense ever good?

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:00 PM

I don't think we got lucky the first half, but there is no denying we are a .500 team right now. We are 22-20 since the All-Star break, 17-20 since we lost Big Frank.

I'm not worried about Buerhle's pitching or Iguchi's defense. I think it was just a bad night. Our offense is struggling badly. Scotty didn't get on base at all tonight. Understandable, since he's been out two weeks, but we need to get him going quickly. Hopefully, Rowand and Uribe are ready to snap out of it. I've seen better swings from each the last couple of days. I'm trying to find the positives in this lineup, but the bottom line is we have a number of players who need to step it up.

We're due for a stretch where everyone hits all at once. Maybe it will happen in October, assuming we get that far.

FarWestChicago
08-29-2005, 11:02 PM
Other than the guy who wants to play all the September call-ups, who is being a lunatic? :?: :tealpolice:

Frankfan4life
08-29-2005, 11:02 PM
The Sox are going to have to start playing like they did at the beginning of the season otherwise they're not going to make the playoffs.

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
Or we need to get someone else in there to do the job. I know he was just injured, but I am worried about him. He better start hitting like earlier in the year or we are in trouble. He didn't do anything again tonight. He is our leadoff hitter and we aren't as good as a team without him on the bases.

greenpeach
08-29-2005, 11:05 PM
This is not the same team we saw in the 1st half. I seriously hope they can turn it on again in september, but I'm not holding my breath. I think we will play about .500 the rest of the way because of our pitching, but this offense is abysmal. I just hope the Tribe cool off SOON. :o:

Of course it isn't the same team, subtract Crede, Pods, & Frank from a light-hitting lineup & you've got a pitching staff that has to be nearly perfect game in & game out. I still can't believe that we didn't make any major moves at the trade deadline. Who needs left-handed hitters anyway ????

chisoxmike
08-29-2005, 11:06 PM
My god, they had a bad night. Didn't they just win four in a row against the Twins and a Mariners team that we NEVER beat on the road??? Texas can hit, Buehrle gets hit becuase he throws a lot of strikes, it's going to happen.

Buehrle is fine, so are the Sox.

I still raise my hand and glass to our boys.:gulp:

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 11:07 PM
The Sox are going to have to start playing like they did at the beginning of the season otherwise they're not going to make the playoffs.

And another one.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:09 PM
I don't think we got lucky the first half, but there is no denying we are a .500 team right now. We are 22-20 since the All-Star break, 17-20 since we lost Big Frank.

I'm not worried about Buerhle's pitching or Iguchi's defense. I think it was just a bad night. Our offense is struggling badly. Scotty didn't get on base at all tonight. Understandable, since he's been out two weeks, but we need to get him going quickly. Hopefully, Rowand and Uribe are ready to snap out of it. I've seen better swings from each the last couple of days. I'm trying to find the positives in this lineup, but the bottom line is we have a number of players who need to step it up.

We're due for a stretch where everyone hits all at once. Maybe it will happen in October, assuming we get that far. Offensively we got lucky in the 1st half, alot of hits that were falling in aren't now, and opposing teams are finding more holes as well. Our pitching is fine, but our defense hasn't b een as good, and our offense needs a serious upgrade if we want to win it all.

JGarlandrules20
08-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Or we need to get someone else in there to do the job. I know he was just injured, but I am worried about him. He better start hitting like earlier in the year or we are in trouble. He didn't do anything again tonight.

This was his FIRST game back in case you forgot. Jeez....give the guy a break.

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Disagree. We don't need to play .650 ball the rest of the way like we did early in the season. We have 34 games left. If we go 17-17, we'll finish 96-66. That will be good enough.

If we go 17-17, Cleveland has to go 22-8 to tie us. They've been hot as of late. They have to continue at this pace for another month in order to catch us. I don't see that happening. If it does, you have permission to kill me.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Of course it isn't the same team, subtract Crede, Pods, & Frank from a light-hitting lineup & you've got a pitching staff that has to be nearly perfect game in & game out. I still can't believe that we didn't make any major moves at the trade deadline. Who needs left-handed hitters anyway ???? losing Pods for a few weeks hurts, but losing Frank was devastating. He changed the whole dynamic of our offense, and we did nothing to replace him.

DickAllen72

Bajenaru is going back down after the first game tomorrow to make room for McCarthy.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050829&content_id=1188612&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

FarWestChicago
Offensively we got lucky in the 1st half...Well that explains that. Wait until next year!!

Deuce
If it does, you have permission to kill me.

I love Sox fans... call it "win or die trying" and they take it to heart. :wink:

Deuce

ndu3t4
08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Let's not forget that we're still 9 up in the L column. I'm hoping Jon can step it up and be the stopper on this little two game schnide. I'll be sneaking my radio into lunch tomorrow.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Well that explains that. Wait until next year!! If you think about it does so funny to hear that, but it's true. This offense is lucky to score 3-4 runs a game, and in the 1st half we averaged nearly 5..........Btw i still think we will win the division, but I'm not confident we will make it past the 1st and/or 2nd rounds

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Offensively we got lucky in the 1st half, alot of hits that were falling in aren't now, and opposing teams are finding more holes as well. Our pitching is fine, but our defense hasn't b een as good, and our offense needs a serious upgrade if we want to win it all.

Maybe you're right, but anything can happen in the playoffs. Once we are down to the final eight teams, it's a three-week sprint to the finish. If we get everybody hitting all at once, we can do it. Like I posted before, we are due for a stretch where everyone gets hot at one time.

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 11:16 PM
If you think about it does so funny to hear that, but it's true. This offense is lucky to score 3-4 runs a game, and in the 1st half we averaged nearly 5.

There is no such thing as luck. Stop being a lunatic, please. Man, did you see how lucky we got today scoring five runs!

greenpeach
08-29-2005, 11:18 PM
Disagree. We don't need to play .650 ball the rest of the way like we did early in the season. We have 34 games left. If we go 17-17, we'll finish 96-66. That will be good enough.

If we go 17-17, Cleveland has to go 22-8 to tie us. They've been hot as of late. They have to continue at this pace for another month in order to catch us. I don't see that happening. If it does, you have permission to kill me.

We're still in good shape for the division title, but so what ? I really thought that this was the year that we had a chance to win it all. However, our trade deadline inertia has curbed my early season enthusiasim. This team reminds me of the Twins & A's of the last few years. Good enough to make the playoffs & that's about it. Like the A's & Twins, excellent pitching, good defense & suspect hitting. I honestly can't see this club as it's currently constructed beating the Angels, Yankees or BoSox in the playoffs.

chisoxmike
08-29-2005, 11:19 PM
There is no such thing as luck. Stop being a lunatic, please. Man, did you see how lucky we got today scoring five runs!

Not to mention that if the 4 errors don't happen, we win the game.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:20 PM
There is no such thing as luck. Stop being a lunatic, please. Man, did you see how lucky we got today scoring five runs!We could only muster 2 runs against a mediocre starting pitcher, how many times has that happened this season?? :rolleyes:

CHISOXFAN13
08-29-2005, 11:20 PM
We're still in good shape for the division title, but so what ? I really thought that this was the year that we had a chance to win it all. However, our trade deadline inertia has curbed my early season enthusiasim. This team reminds me of the Twins & A's of the last few years. Good enough to make the playoffs & that's about it. Like the A's & Twins, excellent pitching, good defense & suspect hitting. I honestly can't see this club as it's currently constructed beating the Angels, Yankees or BoSox in the playoffs.

You must be the guy that believes the Red Sox and Yankees are so much better with their stellar moves at the ASB.

Oh yeah, and the Indians sure beefed up bringing Liefer up.

This is a ****ing joke on here tonight. I'll be back tomorrow when the dark clouds are washed away with a Garland victory.

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
You must be the guy that believes the Red Sox and Yankees are so much better with their stellar moves at the ASB.

This is a ****ing joke on here tonight. I'll be back tomorrow when the dark clouds are washed away with a Garland victory.

Dark cloud is too nice of a term to use. I prefer lunatic.

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:22 PM
losing Pods for a few weeks hurts, but losing Frank was devastating. He changed the whole dynamic of our offense, and we did nothing to replace him.

Unfortunately, hitters like Frank don't grow on trees. I'm sure KW tried to find someone, but it didn't happen. The Reds aren't going to trade Griffey, and there is nothing we can do about that. A lot of people around here wanted Aubrey Huff. Some would like to get Raul Ibanez. But neither is a difference-maker like Thomas. I've said it a million times: You cannot replace Frank Thomas. You could live another 50 years and not see another like him in a White Sox uniform. His presence is missed, but we have to move on. What other choice is there?

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:23 PM

This is a ****ing joke on here tonight. I'll be back tomorrow when the dark clouds are washed away with a Garland victory. If watching this team play .500 ball since the AS break is OK w/ you, then you don't have high aspirations.

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Dark cloud is too nice of a term to use. I prefer lunatic.No kidding. It's not so much dark clouds, but raving morons. See you tomorrow.

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 11:24 PM
If watching this team play .500 ball since the AS break is OK w/ you, then you don't have high aspirations.

Last I checked 22-20 is not .500.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Guys, you gotta give it to NSSoxfan for being optimistic. I agree with him. Once we win tomorrow everyone will have forgotten this fiasco.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:25 PM
Unfortunately, hitters like Frank don't grow on trees. I'm sure KW tried to find someone, but it didn't happen. The Reds aren't going to trade Griffey, and there is nothing we can do about that. A lot of people around here wanted Aubrey Huff. Some would like to get Raul Ibanez. But neither is a difference-maker like Thomas. I've said it a million times: You cannot replace Frank Thomas. You could live another 50 years and not see another like him in a White Sox uniform. His presence is missed, but we have to move on. What other choice is there? I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but there has to be something we can do to help this offense.

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 11:26 PM
Guys, you gotta give it to NSSoxfan for being optimistic. I agree with him. Once we win tomorrow everyone will have forgotten this fiasco.

CFAD, it isn't even that I'm being optimistic, I'm being a freakin' realist. These lunatics try to cover up being an idiot by calling themselves a realist, but no, I'm sorry they are wrong.

This is real: Sox up 7.
This is not real: Cleveland in first place.

WSI has been taken over by lunatic posters this season and it has to stop.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-29-2005, 11:27 PM
CFAD, it isn't even that I'm being optimistic, I'm being a freakin' realist. These lunatics try to cover up being an idiot by calling themselves a realist, but no, I'm sorry they are wrong.

Way to tell it like it is. Go Garland.

SluggersAway
08-29-2005, 11:28 PM
I'll be back tomorrow when the dark clouds are washed away with a Garland victory.

What about the McCarthy game, oh wise one?

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:30 PM

The Red Sox and Yankees have made a couple of small moves that helped. Chacon has been a godsend for New York, and that acquisition was ridiculed by most people. Graffanino has helped Boston. Blum is doing an OK job, but I wish we could have gotten Tony G. back.

The Indians didn't need to make any moves. Their main problem the first half was everyone hitting like crap, especially Victor Martinez. Then, they all got hot at once. The Cleveland pitching staff has been good all year. Now that the hitting and pitching are working in tandem, they are tough. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them in the playoffs.

It's really wide open in the American League this year. There are six teams that have a chance at the World Series.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:31 PM

WSI has been taken over by lunatic posters this season and it has to stop. I'm not basing my opinions on the last 2 games, but the WHOLE 2nd half. I appreciate your optimism, but your not being a realist if you think there is nothing wrong w/ this team since the AS break. Hopefully a month of playing mainly against the Central will be just what this team needs.............33-30 against the East and West. 34-13 against the Central!! :D:

CHISOXFAN13
08-29-2005, 11:34 PM
What about the McCarthy game, oh wise one?
How bout we win the first game, pal?

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm not basing my opinions on the last 2 games, but the WHOLE 2nd half. I appreciate your optimism, but your not being a realist if you think there is nothing wrong w/ this team since the AS break. Hopefully a month of playing mainly against the Central will be just what this team needs.

LOL. You think that I'm being optimistic for you? I never said there is nothing wrong with this team since the AS break, there are holes in the White Sox. With that being said, there are holes in every MLB roster. To me, there are a lot less holes in our roster than any other team in baseball. I'm sorry but championships are not won in August or September. They are won in three certain weeks in October.

CHISOXFAN13
08-29-2005, 11:35 PM
The Red Sox and Yankees have made a couple of small moves that helped. Chacon has been a godsend for New York, and that acquisition was ridiculed by most people. Graffanino has helped Boston. Blum is doing an OK job, but I wish we could have gotten Tony G. back.

The Indians didn't need to make any moves. Their main problem the first half was everyone hitting like crap, especially Victor Martinez. Then, they all got hot at once. The Cleveland pitching staff has been good all year. Now that the hitting and pitching are working in tandem, they are tough. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them in the playoffs.

It's really wide open in the American League this year. There are six teams that have a chance at the World Series.\

I agree with everything you said, which is why I refuse to cry in my beer after a loss like this. We have a legitimate chance, and I don't care what any pessimistic fan says about it anymore.

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:42 PM
\

I agree with everything you said, which is why I refuse to cry in my beer after a loss like this. We have a legitimate chance, and I don't care what any pessimistic fan says about it anymore.

What people have to understand is, the most important thing is just getting in the playoffs. Whether we scuffle through September and barely make it, or set the world on fire and clinch early, I don't care. Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

Certainly, we will not be favored to win. But the 2002 Angels and 2003 Marlins were not favored either. I firmly believe each of the eight postseason teams has a 12.5 percent chance of winning it all. Let's just get in the tournament, and then we'll roll the dice.

SluggersAway
08-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I prefer lunatic.

I love how lunatics and raving morons are the name given to those who give voice to a contrarian point of view.

While those who wait till the game has ended and voice a positive POV no matter what the outcome are thought of as blessed.

You all are not fooling anyone. Your opinion is so fake and obviously biased, it is not to be believed.

"I'm happy no matter what the team does, heehee." - Go home fools! The opposite of a troll is a fool.

Obviously there are holes in any roster, any rational poster won't deny this. Rational posters talk specifics about the game at hand, and yet most can't see this and just label them "pessimistic" and dismiss their argument out of hand.

This is not the definition of a trouper or a grinder. Let's get rid of the platitudes.

The most important thing may be getting into the playoffs, but to keep quiet until then would be the death sentence to this board.

Welcome the discussion and avoid the trite, hackneyed comments cutting off discussion.

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:48 PM
To me, there are a lot less holes in our roster than any other team in baseball And yet were only 22-20 in the 2nd half. :?:

CYGarland20
08-29-2005, 11:50 PM
What people have to understand is, the most important thing is just getting in the playoffs. Whether we scuffle through September and barely make it, or set the world on fire and clinch early, I don't care. Just get in the playoffs and anything can happen.

Certainly, we will not be favored to win. But the 2002 Angels and 2003 Marlins were not favored either. I firmly believe each of the eight postseason teams has a 12.5 percent chance of winning it all. Let's just get in the tournament, and then we'll roll the dice. The Angels and Marlins both had great offenses, our offense is pathetic. The only team i can think of recently who won the WS w/ an offense as bad as ours is the Diamondbacks. Of course they did have Johnson AND Schilling.

FarWestChicago
08-29-2005, 11:57 PM
Rational posters talk specifics about the game at hand, and yet most can't see this and just label them "pessimistic" and dismiss their argument out of hand.Oh shut the hell up. You "rational posters" are nowhere to be seen after a Sox victory and then you howl at the moon after every loss. If you ever discussed anything positive, and didn't only rave after losses you might have some credibility. Until then, you and your bretheren are just abusing this site as some sort of catharsis for your depression. You are fooling nobody. :rolleyes:

JB98
08-29-2005, 11:57 PM
I love how lunatics and raving morons are the name given to those who give voice to a contrarian point of view.

While those who wait till the game has ended and voice a positive POV no matter what the outcome are thought of as blessed.

You all are not fooling anyone. Your opinion is so fake and obviously biased, it is not to be believed.

"I'm happy no matter what the team does, heehee." - Go home fools! The opposite of a troll is a fool.

Obviously there are holes in any roster, any rational poster won't deny this. Rational posters talk specifics about the game at hand, and yet most can't see this and just label them "pessimistic" and dismiss their argument out of hand.

This is not the definition of a trouper or a grinder. Let's get rid of the platitudes.

The most important thing may be getting into the playoffs, but to keep quiet until then would be the death sentence to this board.

Welcome the discussion and avoid the trite, hackneyed comments cutting off discussion.

The problem is so many people around here are prone to hyperbole. Someone posted earlier, "If the Sox continue at this pace, they will not make the playoffs." That's just wrong. We're 4-3 on the current trip. A winning percentage of .571 the rest of the way will get it done. Our winning percentage since the ASB is .524, also good enough to get it done.

To me, there is nothing wrong with people expressing concern about this offense. It's obviously a weakness of the team. Personally, I think a debate about whether the lack of offense will ultimately lead to the demise of the 2005 Sox qualifies as legitimate discussion. A debate about what the Sox might do to spark the slumping offense also qualifies as legitimate discussion. However, must of what takes place here is tug-of-war between Sunny Days and Dark Clouds, with each side pointing fingers at the other.

JB98
08-30-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh shut the hell up. You "rational posters" are nowhere to be seen after a Sox victory and then you howl at the moon after every loss. If you ever discussed anything positive, and didn't only rave after losses you might have some credibility. Until then, you and your bretheren are just abusing this site as some sort of catharsis for your depression. You are fooling nobody. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm here every night, win or lose. I work at night and have nothing better to do in my down time than post on WSI. :D:

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:00 AM
However, must of what takes place here is tug-of-war between Sunny Days and Dark Clouds, with each side pointing fingers at the other.You are lucky those of us paying for and running this site are people you love to insult. If we were as gutless as the piss pants we would just shut the site down. Be glad we aren't in the "quit while we're ahead" group.

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 12:02 AM

Please tell me that was supposed to be in teal. The Sox have 34 games left to play. If they only go 15-19 over that stretch, they'd end up with 94 wins. To get 94 wins, Cleveland is going to have to win 20 of their remaining 30 games. That's with half of their games against MIN, OAK, & the Sox.

It's possible, but highly unlikely. And that's if the Sox only win 15 more games. If the Sox even go .500, the Tribe is going to have to go 22-8.

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Hey, I'm here every night, win or lose. I work at night and have nothing better to do in my down time than post on WSI. :D:And yes, you do post after victories. :thumbsup:

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 12:04 AM
You are lucky those of us paying for and running this site are people you love to insult. If we were as gutless as the piss pants we would just shut the site down. Be glad we aren't in the "quit while we're ahead" group.

This site is expensive to run?

JB98
08-30-2005, 12:06 AM
The Angels and Marlins both had great offenses, our offense is pathetic. The only team i can think of recently who won the WS w/ an offense as bad as ours is the Diamondbacks. Of course they did have Johnson AND Schilling.

So what do you suggest we do? Forfeit?

I would like to see Guillen get more aggressive. Earlier in the year, we were running constantly on the basepaths, even when we were behind. Now, I see too much station-to-station baseball. I want to see some hit-and-runs. Force these hitters to swing for contact instead of swinging for the fences, and start putting pressure on the defense. That's what made us successful to begin with.

I'm still hoping Ozzie will see the light and put Rowand in the No. 3 spot. We need Aaron to get going in the worst way. Drop Carl down to fifth and A.J. down to seventh, and leave Paulie and JD right where they are. Maybe a lineup shakeup changes the dynamic a bit.

SluggersAway
08-30-2005, 12:06 AM
Oh shut the hell up. You "rational posters" are nowhere to be seen after a Sox victory and then you howl at the moon after every loss. If you ever discussed anything positive, and didn't only rave after losses you might have some credibility. Until then, you and your bretheren are just abusing this site as some sort of catharsis for your depression. You are fooling nobody. :rolleyes:

I certainly won't justify some of the howlers and ravers, but if you look at the record many people are ready to discuss the positive and contemplate the negative. The barrage of nonsense helps no one.

I am not trying to fool anyone. A criticism of a certain play in a certain inning within a specific game need not end in banishment.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 12:07 AM
To get back on topic...

I'm not all that worried about our chances in the playoffs. I think the hitting will come back, as will some of our pitching.

Didn't the 96' Yankees have a real bad stretch after the All-Star break? I think so, and they seemed to do alright

:D:

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2005, 12:08 AM
Please tell me that was supposed to be in teal. The Sox have 34 games left to play. If they only go 15-19 over that stretch, they'd end up with 94 wins. To get 94 wins, Cleveland is going to have to win 20 of their remaining 30 games. That's with half of their games against MIN, OAK, & the Sox.

It's possible, but highly unlikely. And that's if the Sox only win 15 more games. If the Sox even go .500, the Tribe is going to have to go 22-8.

Even if Cleveland does this, there are still the Yankees/Red Sox and A's/Angels who are going to bash each other's brains in the rest of the season.

The likelihood of all four of them, much less one, getting to 94 wins is a stretch.

samram
08-30-2005, 12:10 AM

Get this. If the Sox played as they did over the first 34 games (25-9), they would finish 104-58, forcing Cleveland to go 30-0 (hahahahahahaha) to tie. So basically, Frankfanforlife is predicting the Indians to not lose one more game for the rest of the season.:rolling:

mr_genius
So what do you suggest we do? Forfeit?

I would like to see Guillen get more aggressive. Earlier in the year, we were running constantly on the basepaths, even when we were behind. Now, I see too much station-to-station baseball. I want to see some hit-and-runs. Force these hitters to swing for contact instead of swinging for the fences, and start putting pressure on the defense. That's what made us successful to begin with.

i think everyone here wants to see that. i think we will get back to our winning ways.

CubKilla

Good to see you're all for dissenting opinions here whenever the Sox lose :rolleyes: .

You need to realize that there are pessimists and optimists and opinion's voiced by the aforementioned will be swayed by whether the Sox win or lose whether you like it or not.

FarWestChicago
I am not trying to fool anyone. A criticism of a certain play in a certain inning within a specific game need not end in banishment.And you haven't been banished. It just gets old to see the tumbleweeds blow through after a victory and the nutcases crawl out of the woodwork after every loss.

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:11 AM
Good to see you're all for dissenting opinions here whenever the Sox lose :rolleyes: .And your next post after a Sox victory will be your first. :redneck

CubKilla
08-30-2005, 12:11 AM
And you haven't been banished. It just gets old to see the tumbleweeds blow through after a victory and the nutcases crawl out of the woodwork after every loss.

Isn't that what a messageboard is for?

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Isn't that what a messageboard is for?No. Absolutely not. Do you really think we run this site just so fruitcakes like you can vent? :rolleyes:

gogosox35

That is just insane to say. The White Sox hold a 7 game lead with 34 games to play. The Indians have 30 games remaining. If the White Sox go:

17-17, The Indians have to go 22-8 (.7333) to TIE
15-19, The Indians have to go 20-10(.677777) to TIE
20-14, The Indians have to go 25-5 (.857) to TIE

Anyone who doesn't think we are in the absolute catbird seat is kidding themselves.

spiffie
The one thing that always confuses me is that people talk about the postseason like we're going to be facing a collection of perfect teams while hoping our rag-tag band of misfits can somehow spring an upset. Yes, this team is flawed, but you find me a playoff contender who is not flawed. The Red Sox are vulnerable in both starting and relief pitching. The Yankees same deal. The Angels are probably the closest thing to a complete team right now, and they might not even make the playoffs. The A's are not exactly an offensive juggernaut. The Indians are looking very good but we have seen that their young players can be prone to long stretches of bad ball. There is no perfect team right now in the AL who you can look at and call head and shoulders above the rest. So yeah, we might go 3 and out in the ALDS. We might lose in the ALCS. But I'll put it this way, is there a team right now in the AL who anyone would feel comfortable betting the house on to go to the World Series. And after watching the way our starters pitched last week, is there any rational observer who would not at least say we have as good a shot as anyone to go to the World Series?

That said, I would like to see us tighten things up in September. Guys not hitting is something that happens. But it feels like as of late they have been making more mistakes in the field and on the basepaths, and those are mental more than physical. Hopefully it's just pacing themselves for the final sprint to the end of the season and into the playoffs, but it is something that I would like to see start moving in a more positive direction these last few weeks.

CubKilla
08-30-2005, 12:13 AM
And your next post after a Sox victory will be your first. :redneck

I haven't commented regarding tonight's loss either way

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:14 AM
I haven't commented regarding tonight's loss either wayKilla, you have history. :redneck

CubKilla
08-30-2005, 12:14 AM
No. Absolutely not. Do you really think we run this site just so fruitcakes like you can vent? :rolleyes:

Who's venting? Not me that's for sure.

LostInLeftField
08-30-2005, 12:17 AM
What is the average score of playoff baseball games?

I haven't the slightest clue but my best guess is the outcome of the average playoff baseball game is 4 to 3.

Come playoff time the advantage should to shift toward the Sox favor as this team's strength is pitching, defense and situational hitting.

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:18 AM
Who's venting? Not me that's for sure.You asked if the purpose of this messageboard was for "the nutcases crawl out of the woodwork after every loss". I explained it wasn't. Plain and simple.

SluggersAway
08-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Yes, this team is flawed, but you find me a playoff contender who is not flawed. The Red Sox are vulnerable in both starting and relief pitching. The Yankees same deal. The Angels are probably the closest thing to a complete team right now...There is no perfect team right now in the AL who you can look at and call head and shoulders above the rest.

Okay, but let's talk about it instead of bringing out the "dark clouds" picture every time a negative thought is whispered. I have not mentioned a pessimistic thought this thread, but it seems like when someone does the hounds come out to bite.

The Red Sox pitching may be vulnerable, but our hitting hasn't quite stacked up against theirs and it isn't crystal clear that our pitching can kill their offense. All I am saying is we might want to discuss this without prejudice before the team is sitting on their duffs come November.

samram
08-30-2005, 12:26 AM
Okay, but let's talk about it instead of bringing out the "dark clouds" picture every time a negative thought is whispered. I have not mentioned a pessimistic thought this thread, but it seems like when someone does the hounds come out to bite.

The Red Sox pitching may be vulnerable, but our hitting hasn't quite stacked up against theirs and it isn't crystal clear that our pitching can kill their offense. All I am saying is we might want to discuss this without prejudice before the team is sitting on their duffs come November.

Contreras and El Duque both pitched well against them, as did Garland in the game in Chicago. In the playoffs, my guess is the Sox starting pitching will outperform theirs if they match up. Bad Curt Schilling, Bad Matt Clement, and Bad David Wells don't scare me.

JB98
08-30-2005, 12:33 AM
What is the average score of playoff baseball games?

I haven't the slightest clue but my best guess is the outcome of the average playoff baseball game is 4 to 3.

Come playoff time the advantage should to shift toward the Sox favor as this team's strength is pitching, defense and situational hitting.

We need to work on that situational hitting part. It was a strength of the Sox early, but that has been missing the last month or so. That series we lost at home to Minnesota was Exhibit A. That should have been a two-out-of-three for the Sox. The first two games of that series were pissed away with poor execution and poor baserunning.

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 12:35 AM
September 1st lineup

Harris 2B
Anderson LF
Borchard RF
Gload DH
Fields 3B
Widger C
Perez CF
Rogowski 1B
Lopez SS

Wait? Timo's not leading off?

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 12:39 AM
I stopped reading at page 6...sorry if this is redundant...but has no one pointed out that this team got the tying run to the plate while down 5 going into the ninth. THAT IS A POSITIVE PEOPLE. Also, everyone needs to calm down. If you are playing .800 ball going into the playoffs it doesn mean a ton more than playing .300 ball going in. Once you are in, the records don't matter, its just you against the other team

Keep in mind that even if Clevend miracuously plays .800 ball the rest of the way and beats us out by a game for the division (NOT BEING A DARK CLOUD BUT TO ILLUSTRATE HOW NUTS SOME PEOPLE ARE ACTING) do you really think that the other wild card teams are going to do the same??? .500 ball the rest of the way puts us at 96 wins. That will at the very least win the wild card. So everyone please calm down. My goodness.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-30-2005, 12:47 AM
I stopped reading at page 6...sorry if this is redundant...but has no one pointed out that this team got the tying run to the plate while down 5 going into the ninth. THAT IS A POSITIVE PEOPLE. Also, everyone needs to calm down. If you are playing .800 ball going into the playoffs it doesn mean a ton more than playing .300 ball going in. Once you are in, the records don't matter, its just you against the other team

Keep in mind that even if Clevend miracuously plays .800 ball the rest of the way and beats us out by a game for the division (NOT BEING A DARK CLOUD BUT TO ILLUSTRATE HOW NUTS SOME PEOPLE ARE ACTING) do you really think that the other wild card teams are going to do the same??? .500 ball the rest of the way puts us at 96 wins. That will at the very least win the wild card. So everyone please calm down. My goodness.

1. Scoring 3 runs in the ninth when you're down five against a mediocre team is not that big a "positive".
2. Are you seriously saying that it doesn't "mean a ton more" to be playing great vs playing poorly when a team enters the playoffs? I think it means a ton to be playing well when you enter the playoffs.
3. I don't know how you could possibly know what the other wild card teams will do from here on out. Telling everybody to calm down is silly. I think it's perfectly reasonable to worry about whether this team will make the playoffs and, probably more likely, how it will do once it gets there. They certainly have given all their fans something to worry about over the last month.

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 12:50 AM
They certainly have given all their fans something to worry about over the last month.Speak for yourself. Many of us are made of much sterner stuff than you. :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 12:51 AM
Some of these posts have roadhouse written all over them.

I liked the way the team battled back in the 9th. Buehrle was dejected after all those errors - we would have won the game (and Buehrle would have had more gas in the tank if he didn't have to throw about 15 extra pitches in the 4th) if it wasn't for the rare defensive breakdown by Iguchi.

All the Cleveland AL Central champ posters are clueless. The Sox will win the division either at Minnesota or at home against Cleveland. We are 4-3 on this road trip, have played our toughest stretch of the schedule the past few weeks and have a 7 game lead - 2 less than what we had at the All Star Break. It took Cleveland playing their best stretch of the season close to 7 weeks to chip two games off of our lead.

So the next dark cloud you see - point them out and get them out of here - You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Chicago.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2005, 12:53 AM
I feel bad for Mark, it seems on those rare occasions when the defense has a bad night, he always seems to be on the mound for it.

Lip

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 12:55 AM
I feel bad for Mark, it seems on those rare occasions when the defense has a bad night, he always seems to be on the mound for it.

Lip

usually teams play better defense when a pitcher that works fast is on the mound... for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case with the sox

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-30-2005, 12:57 AM
Speak for yourself. Many of us are made of much sterner stuff than you. :D:
Are you saying that the team's play in August has given you no cause for worry about the playoffs?

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 12:57 AM
usually teams play better defense when a pitcher that works fast is on the mound... for some reason that doesn't seem to be the case with the sox

Yeah - those first 120 + games prove that. :rolleyes:

JB98
08-30-2005, 12:59 AM

Lip

You would think the defense would be better when Mark pitches, considering how quickly he works.

Buerhle didn't have his best tonight, but seven innings and four earned runs is not terrible. That fourth inning should have been three up, three down. Instead, Texas got five outs and scored three runs.

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 01:00 AM
1. Scoring 3 runs in the ninth when you're down five against a mediocre team is not that big a "positive".
2. Are you seriously saying that it doesn't "mean a ton more" to be playing great vs playing poorly when a team enters the playoffs? I think it means a ton to be playing well when you enter the playoffs.
3. I don't know how you could possibly know what the other wild card teams will do from here on out. Telling everybody to calm down is silly. I think it's perfectly reasonable to worry about whether this team will make the playoffs and, probably more likely, how it will do once it gets there. They certainly have given all their fans something to worry about over the last month.
Wow. Where to begin.

Scoring 3 runs is a huge positive. It gives us momentum going in to tomorrows game...it made them bring in their closer...it shows this team doesn't give up. Should I go on? Does the Paniagua game mean anything to you?

Last year Boston went 3-5 in its first 8 playoff games. That's really on fire.
In 2000 the Yankess backed into the playoffs and won the whole thing. Those are just two examples. I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all, but it doesn't matter as much as some dark clouds are lamenting. If we enter the playoffs playing .300 ball against the team we will be playing in the first round I may be concerned. But last time I checked, the Rangers, Twins, and Mariners aren't making the playoffs...nor are the teams that are making the playoffs drones of them. So no it doesn't matter. Part of the problem with baseball playoffs is that very often the best team does not win the World Series b/c a 7 (or 5 game) series is a crap shoot. If you doubt me, read Money Ball or look at the last 3 World Series champs.

So you are trying to tell me that in addition to CLE going .800 the rest of the way, BOS AND NYY will both go .800 or both OAK AND LAA will go .800 the rest of the way (its both b/c if its just one team going .800 then they will win the division and not factor in the wild card)? That is what would have to happen for us to not make the playoffs. Do you realize how ridiculous this worry about making the playoffs crap sounds?

So yes CALM DOWN...so I don't have to read these crazy posts. Is this team invinceable? NO. But to say making the playoffs is in question is knee jerk reaction with no logic whatsoever.

Would you rather trade spots with LAA or BOS? We have the 2nd largest margin in baseball.

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Are you saying that the team's play in August has given you no cause for worry about the playoffs?Nope, makes no difference. I never considered the Series a lock before August nor do I consider it to be one now. I'm not a windsock blowing in the breeze. It's a marathon to get to the playoffs and then it's all up for grabs. Nothing is guaranteed.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 01:01 AM
Yeah - those first 120 + games prove that. :rolleyes:

uhhhh, what are you trying to say?

1)that our defense behind Buehrle has been good all season except tonight?

or

2)position players prefer to play behind a slow working pitcher?

if it is "1)" you need to check your stats. i'll give you a hint: check earned runs and runs for Buehrle

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Nope, makes no difference. I never considered the Series a lock before August nor do I consider it to be one now. I'm not a windsock blowing in the breeze. It's a marathon to get to the playoffs and then it's all up for grabs. Nothing is guaranteed.

Is there an echo in here? I'm glad someone else has maintained touch with reality.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Nope, makes no difference. I never considered the Series a lock before August nor do I consider it to be one now. I'm not a windsock blowing in the breeze. It's a marathon to get to the playoffs and then it's all up for grabs. Nothing is guaranteed.
So...it makes "no difference" how the Sox played in August? Really? What if they play poorly in August and September? Would you worry then? Or are you saying that no matter how badly they play for any length of time you won't worry - because you're a great Sox fan?

Just asking.

TaylorStSox
08-30-2005, 01:07 AM
People may think I'm crazy for this but...........

Brace yourselves!

If we're going to sit Iguchi for a few games, then I wouldn't mind leading Willie off. Despite what people think, he gets on base at a decent clip. Also, his steal percentage isn't bad. Pods is much more capable of hitting to RF to get guys over, so he might fit in the 2 hole. Willie struggles at pulling the ball and bunting.

Obviously, this isn't permanent in any way. It's just a thought to kickstart the top of the line up. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try in 1 game of a double header.

Flame away!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 01:08 AM
uhhhh, what are you trying to say?

1)that our defense behind Buehrle has been good all season except tonight?

or

2)position players prefer to play behind a slow working pitcher?

if it is "1)" you need to check your stats. i'll give you a hint: check earned runs and runs for Buehrle

Runes / Earned runs are based on the whims of usually a poor "official" scorer. I look at the Sox and see the best fielding in baseball - don't tell me they play good for everyone but Buehrle. You may remember bad plays but that is subjective memory - same as a gambler who remembers all the "bad beats". Buehrle has benefited from the great defense as all White Sox pitchers have.

Gavin
08-30-2005, 01:09 AM
"Don't think twice it's alright."

Really, it's a long term situation.

FarWestChicago
08-30-2005, 01:14 AM
So...it makes "no difference" how the Sox played in August? Really? What if they play poorly in August and September? Would you worry then? Or are you saying that no matter how badly they play for any length of time you won't worry - because you're a great Sox fan?

Just asking.Well, it's not even September yet, so let's not chalk it up in the "crap" column already. I will worry when there is something to worry about. I know that dark thing that follows me around when I'm outside is my shadow. I'm not saying I'm a "great Sox fan", I just keep things on a bit more even keel than many around here. I don't worry about being hit by lightning or a meteorite. Sure, it could happen, but, to me, that's no way to live.:D:

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Sox have played above .500 since the all-star break. If you play above .500 in each playoff series, you are World Champions. So while the Sox aren't playing lights out, they are playing descent and if they get hot can still win this thing.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-30-2005, 01:15 AM
Wow. Where to begin.

Scoring 3 runs is a huge positive. It gives us momentum going in to tomorrows game...it made them bring in their closer...it shows this team doesn't give up. Should I go on? Does the Paniagua game mean anything to you?

Last year Boston went 3-5 in its first 8 playoff games. That's really on fire.
In 2000 the Yankess backed into the playoffs and won the whole thing. Those are just two examples. I'm not saying it doesn't matter at all, but it doesn't matter as much as some dark clouds are lamenting. If we enter the playoffs playing .300 ball against the team we will be playing in the first round I may be concerned. But last time I checked, the Rangers, Twins, and Mariners aren't making the playoffs...nor are the teams that are making the playoffs drones of them. So no it doesn't matter. Part of the problem with baseball playoffs is that very often the best team does not win the World Series b/c a 7 (or 5 game) series is a crap shoot. If you doubt me, read Money Ball or look at the last 3 World Series champs.

So you are trying to tell me that in addition to CLE going .800 the rest of the way, BOS AND NYY will both go .800 or both OAK AND LAA will go .800 the rest of the way (its both b/c if its just one team going .800 then they will win the division and not factor in the wild card)? That is what would have to happen for us to not make the playoffs. Do you realize how ridiculous this worry about making the playoffs crap sounds?

So yes CALM DOWN...so I don't have to read these crazy posts. Is this team invinceable? NO. But to say making the playoffs is in question is knee jerk reaction with no logic whatsoever.

Would you rather trade spots with LAA or BOS? We have the 2nd largest margin in baseball.
I still don't see how "almost" beating a mediocre team is a "huge positive...and gives us momentum. Sorry.
I think it is obvious that it is better to be playing good baseball entering the playoffs than bad baseball - your few exceptions notwithstanding.
If one team (CLE) can play .800 ball, why can't two? Not to say it is likely - it's not - but it's not impossible either.
I'm already calm - just worried.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 01:18 AM
Runes / Earned runs are based on the whims of usually a poor "official" scorer. I look at the Sox and see the best fielding in baseball - don't tell me they play good for everyone but Buehrle. You may remember bad plays but that is subjective memory - same as a gambler who remembers all the "bad beats". Buehrle has benefited from the great defense as all White Sox pitchers have.

No, don't make the "poor" official scoring excuse. You might want to take off the tin-foil hat and look at the reality that our defense has played poorly on a number of occasions this season when Buehrle has pitched. Where were these "poor" official scorers when everyone else was on the mound? I don't know why (probably just bad luck on Buehrle's part) they play poorly when he pitches, but they do. I was just posting my observation that teams usually play better defense behind fast working pitchers and found it unusual that for Buehrle we haven't.

As far as gambling, I don't let "bad" beats effect how I play. Don't even remember them any better than a "good" beat (whatever that would be :D:).

Nellie_Fox
08-30-2005, 01:29 AM
...they are playing descent...Paging Dr. Freud, a poster may have slipped.

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 01:35 AM
I still don't see how "almost" beating a mediocre team is a "huge positive...and gives us momentum. Sorry.

No need to apologize. It doesn't matter if you see. The fact of the matter is it does give you something positive to build on the next day. Is it as good as winning, of course not, but give me a break. How can seriously tell me you see no positive in scoring 3 runs in the last inning?

I think it is obvious that it is better to be playing good baseball entering the playoffs than bad baseball - your few exceptions notwithstanding.

Re-read my post (or read it for the first time). I said that it is better to be playing well going into the playoffs, but it is not a necessity like you paint it to be. I thought for about 30 seconds and came up with two counterexamples. There are more, but I don't feel like wasiting my time...two is enough. Besides...in the first statment you essentially dismiss the motion of "momentum" where here you say it is a must. Tell me, do any of our regular season wins cary over to the postseason (if we make it)?

If one team (CLE) can play .800 ball, why can't two? Not to say it is likely - it's not - but it's not impossible either.

uhh..do I need to respond to this? My point was that 1 team WON'T play .800 ball the rest of the year. If one team did, 2 teams definitely would not. And actually my point was it would have to be Cleveland Playing .800 ball (to win the division) a division leader playing .800 (to maintain their lead) AND a 2nd place team playing .800 ball (to beat us out). NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. Hell, it may not even be statistically possible depending on how many games remain. 3 teams play .800 ball AND the sox tank...yeah I can see your concern.

UofCSoxFan
08-30-2005, 01:39 AM
Nope...just can't spell. Freud would say that the sox are losing games b/c of subconcious hate for male sox fans who are epresentitive of their fathers that acted as obstacles to a sexual relationship with their mothers.

Hmm...makes you think.

Edit: this was in response to the Freudian slip comment....which didn't quote for some reason.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 02:18 AM
You might want to take off the tin-foil hat and look at the reality that our defense has played poorly on a number of occasions this season when Buehrle has pitched.

Instead of talking out of your anus and accusing people of wearing "tin foil" hats I suggest you back up your BS with facts. The facts are the White Sox have a top ranked defense which all pitchers benefit from. A second fact is in Mark's 26 starts coming into tonight he won 14 - over half - and our great defense helped out in each and every game. Of the remaining 12 games, 6 were no decisions and 6 were loses. Of these 12 games only 1 - the July 21 game vs. Boston - had unearned runs have any bearing on the final result.

So in Mark's 26 starts, errors and "poor defense" had a role in 1 of 26.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6525/gamelog

I suggest you actually look at facts before throwing around insults - that is if you actually know what facts are.

JB98
08-30-2005, 02:19 AM
I'm not clear on why we should be excited about three runs in the ninth. That's a moral victory that doesn't necessarily mean anything for tomorrow. Doug Brocail picks up his first save of the season against us. Rah.

Get Back There!
08-30-2005, 02:24 AM
The Sox offense didn't give them a chance, their defense didnt give them a chance, and Buehrle didn't give them a chance.
Better luck tomorrow.

BEst way to say it....

RowanDye
08-30-2005, 02:30 AM
Bad game for Iguch, but as Ozzie said he has been huge all year. The Sox will be fine. Im wondering though how many games they are going to throw away. Ozzie says he wants to win every day and I want to believe him, but than I see Jon Adkins on the mound and I wonder. Does anyone think the Sox would intentionally pitch poorly to set up a team for later in the year (obviously this isn't the case with Texas)?? I know we reset the ticker in October, but I would really like to see the offense come around and the defense play solidly for at least the last 2 weeks of the season. :dunno:

samram
08-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Bad game for Iguch, but as Ozzie said he has been huge all year. The Sox will be fine. Im wondering though how many games they are going to throw away. Ozzie says he wants to win every day and I want to believe him, but than I see Jon Adkins on the mound and I wonder. Does anyone think the Sox would intentionally pitch poorly to set up a team for later in the year (obviously this isn't the case with Texas)?? I know we reset the ticker in October, but I would really like to see the offense come around and the defense play solidly for at least the last 2 weeks of the season. :dunno:

What the hell are you talking about? Set up who?

Baby Fisk
08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
People seriously need to get a grip. "Sox are a .500 team?" "Sox will be lucky to make the playoffs?" Lunacy, and embarrassing to read here. At least the pollyannas don't run around making the opposite kinds of posts, eg.: "the Sox will likely sweep every playoff series." "the Sox should win 4 championships in a row." That's how idiotic the dark clouds sound coming from the other side of things. Calm down people!

:iguchi:
"Baby Fisk is right! He has inspired me to start catching the ball again."

Now there's a start...

samram
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
People seriously need to get a grip. "Sox are a .500 team?" "Sox will be lucky to make the playoffs?" Lunacy, and embarrassing to read here. At least the pollyannas don't run around making the opposite kinds of posts, eg.: "the Sox will likely sweep every playoff series." "the Sox should win 4 championships in a row." That's how idiotic the dark clouds sound coming from the other side of things. Calm down people!

:iguchi:
"Baby Fisk is right! He has inspired me to start catching the ball again."

Now there's a start...

Good post, BF. There was an earlier post saying, in dark-cloud fashion, that the lead was down to seven games again. Of course, they're ignoring the fact that trading wins and losses for a week at this point is absolutely fine for the Sox. It's the Indians that need to gain ground. Apparently, winning the division by less than 15 games is unacceptable.

Hangar18
08-30-2005, 10:09 AM
LMAO .......... the title is pretty clever, heh hehh.
Im proud to be a dark clouder, but I wasnt partying. I like to think
that our Defense is still in Weekend mode. To put a positive spin on things,
it was pretty hot out at game time, plus Pods just came back, and Crede is out, and Iguchi is also still in weekend mode.

cheeses_h_rice
08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Dunno if this has been discussed before, but Phil Rogers' column (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050829rogers,1,6725168.column?coll=cs-home-utility) today features quotes from Buehrle tapdancing around the possible cheating done by the Rangers at home, giving signs to their batters.

Baby Fisk
08-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Good post, BF. There was an earlier post saying, in dark-cloud fashion, that the lead was down to seven games again. Of course, they're ignoring the fact that trading wins and losses for a week at this point is absolutely fine for the Sox. It's the Indians that need to gain ground. Apparently, winning the division by less than 15 games is unacceptable.If people here start wigging out with a mere 7 game lead, imagine other boards...

With the Yankees now 1.5 games behind the suddenly sucky BoSox, does this mean there must be Category Five Hysteria on the Boston message boards?

Maybe the Angels boards have been hit by a Dark Tsunami now that Oakland is surging away with the division. Bah! Chillax everybody.

Hangar18
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Not to get off the subject, but this whole Pollyanna vs. Dark Clouds
thing is pretty hilarious ........ I was explaining to a baseball fan the other day
how there are segments within the SOX Army, and he thought it was funny
because the other teams fans are 100% sunny day/pollyanna etc.
Who started the term dark cloud? I think its hilarious the more I think about it..:D:

Baby Fisk
08-30-2005, 10:20 AM
Not to get off the subject, but this whole Pollyanna vs. Dark Clouds
thing is pretty hilarious ........ I was explaining to a baseball fan the other day
how there are segments within the SOX Army, and he thought it was funny
because the other teams fans are 100% sunny day/pollyanna etc.
Who started the term dark cloud? I think its hilarious the more I think about it..:D:
Someone first directed the term towards The Great Imperial Dark Cloud himself, Homefish. Then he got a thread dedicated to his relentless gloominations, and it spread from there.

BTW, I wonder if Homefish is still prophesying a division win by his belovèd Accursèd Ones... :rolleyes:

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 10:27 AM

It's also possible for the sox to go winless from here on out. Or for them to trade for Griffey & Helton. Heck, it's possible for Pujols & Wagner to clear waivers and be traded to the Sox for Jon Adkins & Timo Perez. On the flipside, it's possible that a meteorite will hit USCF and the Sox will play on the road from here on out.

The fact that one would spend time on things like 2 teams playing .800 ball AND the Sox playing less than .500 ball is what makes for a dark cloud.

Whitesox05
08-30-2005, 10:50 AM
This was his FIRST game back in case you forgot. Jeez....give the guy a break.

I've been giving him a lot of breaks aftter the all star break. What's your excuse then?

Whitesox05
08-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I'll give KW the benefit of the doubt, but there has to be something we can do to help this offense.

I totally agree with you! I give him the benefit of the doubt too because he is a damn good GM, but we are dying for a big hitter. If we don't get another hitter, we won't make it out of the 1st round. Mark my word! Get either Ibanez, Huff, Griffey, Sweeeny, etc. This is getting bad with our offense. We do need someone to take the place of Frank. Cmon KW, make it happen!

Whitesox05
08-30-2005, 10:58 AM
Why in the hell are we pitching McCarthy against the Rangers again? They have crushed him in the past and they know his stuff. Don't we have anyone elese that is good in our minors? You try to build the confidence of McCarthy, but this is not the way to do it.

Lip Man 1
08-30-2005, 11:04 AM
The Sox long ago stated they were not adjusting the rotation at all for rain outs and or off days. The DH today plus the make up game Monday forced the need for another starting pitcher. That's McCarthy, the best in the system, who also I think will get the start in Boston.

The issue the past month hasn't been the pitching staff anyway but the hitters. We'll see what happens today. Two mediocre garbage pitchers being thrown by Texas. The Sox should beat at least one of them.

Lip

voodoochile
08-30-2005, 11:13 AM
I totally agree with you! I give him the benefit of the doubt too because he is a damn good GM, but we are dying for a big hitter. If we don't get another hitter, we won't make it out of the 1st round. Mark my word! Get either Ibanez, Huff, Griffey, Sweeeny, etc. This is getting bad with our offense. We do need someone to take the place of Frank. Cmon KW, make it happen!

Oh gawd... what will I do... My life sucks... I guess I'll go eat worms...:rolleyes:

:darkcloud:

Baby Fisk
08-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Why in the hell are we pitching McCarthy against the Rangers again? They have crushed him in the past and they know his stuff. Don't we have anyone elese that is good in our minors? You try to build the confidence of McCarthy, but this is not the way to do it.
Wow, Homefish is going to cede his crown to a new Dark Cloud Emperor at this rate. Is there anything about the White Sox you find positive or is it all lamentations and grief?

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Wow, Homefish is going to cede his crown to a new Dark Cloud Emperor at this rate. Is there anything about the White Sox you find positive or is it all lamentations and grief?Was it really so long ago everyone wanted to dump Jon Garland and have McCarthy in the rotation?:rolleyes:

TheOldRoman
08-30-2005, 12:07 PM
It's also possible for the sox to go winless from here on out. Or for them to trade for Griffey & Helton. Heck, it's possible for Pujols & Wagner to clear waivers and be traded to the Sox for Jon Adkins & Timo Perez. On the flipside, it's possible that a meteorite will hit USCF and the Sox will play on the road from here on out.

The fact that one would spend time on things like 2 teams playing .800 ball AND the Sox playing less than .500 ball is what makes for a dark cloud.
Yeah, the thing about CarlosMay'sThumb, the lights are on but nobody's home. He is a KW bashing troll. He hopes so desperately for the Sox to tank so he can blame KW for our downfall. Over the past week he has crapped all over these boards with "I dont think we can play .500 the rest of the way" and "We have LOTS of holes and our 'great' GM only got us Blum. Lets run him out of town." When reminded that it was a horrible market for buyers and nobody made a big aquisition, he covers his ears and goes "lalalala I cant hear you lalalalala."

ode to veeck
08-30-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by CYGarland20
Offensively we got lucky in the 1st half...
Originally Posted by West
Well that explains that. Wait until next year!!
:tealpolice:

JB98
08-30-2005, 01:10 PM

McCarthy is the best pitcher in our minor-league system. That's why he's getting the call. I'm not the least bit concerned about Brandon's confidence. He's a big boy. He can handle it. Apparently, you can't.

Brian26
08-30-2005, 01:12 PM
If we don't get another hitter, we won't make it out of the 1st round. Mark my word! Get either Ibanez, Huff, Griffey, Sweeeny, etc. This is getting bad with our offense. We do need someone to take the place of Frank. Cmon KW, make it happen!

One batter isn't going to make the difference when the offensive collectively is in a slump. Griffey, for example, may bat four times a game and take the place of Everett. Are Griffey's four at-bats going to be so significantly better than Everett's four at-bats per game that our team's entire season will depend on it one way or another? No. I'd be hard-pressed to believe that any hitter taking the place of anyone on our current team could make THAT much of a difference.

On the bright side, hitting seems to be contagious. I think if a couple of guys gets really hot at the same time, it will effect the rest of the lineup, and the team, collectively, will come out of the slump. Psychologically, I think this team will benefit from getting out of the mini-slump on their own as opposed to waiting and hoping for another hitter to be obtained by tomorrow to save them.

JB98
08-30-2005, 01:15 PM

Adkins has pitched only once in the last 11 games. He entered that game with the Sox trailing 7-2. I actually thought he did a nice job of eating up some innings in a game we had no chance to win.

To say that Ozzie is tanking games by pitching Jon Adkins is the height of paranoia. The only game Adkins has lost was the 16-inning affair with Minnesota, but I blame that on our hitters. They had about 2,000 opportunities with RISP and failed to cash them in.

CHISOXFAN13
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
I've been giving him a lot of breaks aftter the all star break. What's your excuse then?

Podsednik's game is speed. His legs have been injured since June.

I guess that's too difficult for you to figure out.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Instead of talking out of your anus and accusing people of wearing "tin foil" hats I suggest you back up your BS with facts. The facts are the White Sox have a top ranked defense which all pitchers benefit from. A second fact is in Mark's 26 starts coming into tonight he won 14 - over half - and our great defense helped out in each and every game. Of the remaining 12 games, 6 were no decisions and 6 were loses. Of these 12 games only 1 - the July 21 game vs. Boston - had unearned runs have any bearing on the final result.

So in Mark's 26 starts, errors and "poor defense" had a role in 1 of 26.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6525/gamelog

I suggest you actually look at facts before throwing around insults - that is if you actually know what facts are.

*****!!! you have no idea what you are talking about. You ignored all the facts i stated about poor D when Buehrle was on the mound and instead decided to go off on a pointless rant. Yea, they played over the errors and won most of those games (which is obviously good), still doesn't mean the errors didn't happen. The topic was bad defense when Buehrle pitched and how unusual that was seeing he works fast (not whether they played over mistakes and stilll won). I suggest you re-read my past posts and get a clue.

your pal,
mr_genius.

RowanDye
08-30-2005, 07:20 PM
I was mostly referring to setting up Boston. It seemed we pitched them a little differently iat Fenway and after Beurhle's game I thought I remembered him saying some like "maybe we'll show em something different in the playoffs". It's farfetched I know but I'm just trying to come up with some reason why we are losing games we should win and did win in the 1st half.

kittle42
08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Is this today's postgame thread or yesterday's?

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 07:54 PM
Unearned runs have nothing to do with bad defense, just poor official scoring

atleast thats what i've heard

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
*****!!! you have no idea what you are talking about. You ignored all the facts i stated about poor D when Buehrle was on the mound and instead decided to go off on a pointless rant. Yea, they played over the errors and won most of those games (which is obviously good), still doesn't mean the errors didn't happen. The topic was bad defense when Buehrle pitched and how unusual that was seeing he works fast (not whether they played over mistakes and stilll won). I suggest you re-read my past posts and get a clue.

your pal,
mr_genius.

You are the one who needs to get a clue. Defense hasn't cost Buehrle this season. Defense has helped the Sox - every pitcher. Your evidence was unearned runs which "cost" Buehrle but you were wrong again - unearned runs - which you posted indicate how "bad" White Sox fielding was behind Buehrle - had no factor in all but 1 game entering his last start - not all season as your bogus post claimed. Your selective memory is clouding your limited judgment. You are not my pal and are far from being a genius. Get over yourself and stop posting nonsense "proving" false arguments.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 08:03 PM
You are the one who needs to get a clue. Defense hasn't cost Buehrle this season. Defense has helped the Sox - every pitcher. Your evidence was unearned runs which "cost" Buehrle but you were wrong again - unearned runs - which you posted indicate how "bad" White Sox fielding was behind Buehrle - had no factor in all but 1 game entering his last start - not all season as your bogus post claimed. Your selective memory is clouding your limited judgment. You are not my pal and are far from being a genius. Get over yourself and stop posting nonsense "proving" false arguments.

I suggest taking a comprehensive reading course, it should help.

Oh yea, how about that "poor official scoring" that cost us 3 unearned runs today?

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
I suggest taking a comprehensive reading course, it should help.

Oh yea, how about that "poor official scoring" that cost us 3 unearned runs today?

No - The White Sox only play poor in the field with Buehrle on the mound.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 08:17 PM
No - The White Sox only play poor in the field with Buehrle on the mound.

haha, ok

No one ever said that, I am really starting to think you are borderline illiterate and beginning to feel sorry for you.

All apologies, I will leave you alone from now on.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-30-2005, 08:21 PM
All apologies, I will leave you alone from now on.

Whatever. Keep up the excuses - I am sure some Dark Clouds will love your rants.

JB98
08-31-2005, 12:20 AM

I think this outing will be a confidence-builder for Brandon.
:bandance: :supernana: :) :D: