PDA

View Full Version : Gammons on ESPN1000

Madvora
08-29-2005, 03:39 PM
Just on with Dan Patrick and lot's of discussion about the AL Central at the end.
He just said, "I think the Sox are going to be the team to beat in that division for the next 5 or 6 years."
Wow!

Also discussed how Guillen should take manager of the year.

Doesn't think the Griffey deal will get done. Seems like Griffey is sick of it by now and will just decide to stay there.

Tekijawa
08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Just on with Dan Patrick and lot's of discussion about the AL Central at the end.
He just said, "I think the Sox are going to be the team to beat in that division for the next 5 or 6 years."
Wow!

Doesn't think the Griffey deal will get done. Seems like Griffey is sick of it by now and will just decide to stay there.

Didn't he say that about the Indians earlier this year?

steff
08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
His blood sugar must be low...

Madvora
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
He also predicted a Cubs-Twins World Series in the beginning of the year.

Flight #24
08-29-2005, 03:43 PM
Wow!

Best rotation in baseball locked up for at least one more year, cheap offensive help on the way in Anderson, Sweeney, Young. Young stud starters like BMac, Gio, Haigwood, Liotta, Broadway, and a rising payroll. Combined with a no-nonsense manager who'll focuse on fundamentals and accountability.

Could be tough to beat!

SoxFan78
08-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Im sure he meant his Red Sox.

PushnThaEscalade
08-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Gammons, may be right, he may be wrong. If Cleveland ever gets their act together with the talent they have, they could be running away with this division. Having said that, 'm glad they havent.

Gammons, please lay off the Carmine-colored glasses

downstairs
08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Peter Gammons subscribes to the "take the clear division winner of each division and say they'll dominate for 5-6 years."

Yeah, that was a tough call there in LATE AUGUST Peter.

If someone honestly picked the Sox, based off of real analysis, to win the division in February, then I'd have some respect for them.

NSSoxFan
08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Gammons, may be right, he may be wrong. If Cleveland ever gets their act together with the talent they have, they could be running away with this division. Having said that, 'm glad they havent.

How would Cleveland be running away with this division when we have the same level of or more talent then they do????

:?:

downstairs
08-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Also... while I am glad he said it... I have to make one more point..

No one but no one can predict a team "dominating for 5-6 years." There are far too many variables, too much player movement.

Other than the Yankees, who will always buy themselves into contention... there is no way anyone can rationally say anything about 2006-2011....

cheeses_h_rice
08-29-2005, 04:12 PM
He also predicted a Cubs-Twins World Series in the beginning of the year.

It's still possible!

PushnThaEscalade
08-29-2005, 04:12 PM
I didnt make myself clear. my bad. The Jndjans had their chance in 2004 to be honest. I said in 2002 when they started rebuilding, that they would be back in 2004. Cleveland contending like they are now should have happened last year.

Flight #24
08-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Also... while I am glad he said it... I have to make one more point..

No one but no one can predict a team "dominating for 5-6 years." There are far too many variables, too much player movement.

Other than the Yankees, who will always buy themselves into contention... there is no way anyone can rationally say anything about 2006-2011....

IMO you can say the Sox will almost definitely be one fo the favorites for next year for no other reason than because they'll keep all of the starters from the best rotation in baseball.

Letmehearya
08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
IMO you can say the Sox will almost definitely be one fo the favorites for next year for no other reason than because they'll keep all of the starters from the best rotation in baseball.

That's it right there. If the Sox continue to spend $ on the best starting pitching and cultivate young stud pitchers, there's no reason to object to Gammons' thoughts. I also agree that 5 years is a bit far off to predict. I remember the '84 Sox getting Tom Seaver. Were they a lock or what?

tebman
08-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Best rotation in baseball locked up for at least one more year, cheap offensive help on the way in Anderson, Sweeney, Young. Young stud starters like BMac, Gio, Haigwood, Liotta, Broadway, and a rising payroll. Combined with a no-nonsense manager who'll focuse on fundamentals and accountability.

Could be tough to beat!
That really wraps it up. I think that as long as KW and the rest of the organization keep moving the same direction (pitching, defense, smartball, etc.), we will be in for the seasons we've been dreaming about for years.

I remember groaning when the Sox got Belle -- sure, he was a dangerous hitter, but there were so many other everyday holes. Consistently-winning teams keep it up by doing the unglamorous things (pitching, defense, smartball, etc.), not by waiting for power hitters. I just hope KW and Ozzie don't forget what got them here.

gf2020
08-29-2005, 05:54 PM

I don't know about that. The Atlanta Braves are just about indestructible apparently.

swanson24
08-29-2005, 08:09 PM
The Atlanta Braves organization is top rate. They scout players well, the have a strong front office leader in g.m. John Schuerholz, a strong manager, good coaching staff and talented players who execute the fundamentals. I hope that our Chicago White Sox can compare to the Atlanta Braves organization in terms of long term regular season success but I just don't know yet. Anyways, sorry about that rant. I am loving the 05 season and will continue to cheer on our guys regardless of what Mr.Gammons or any of the other ESPN mediots have to say.
:cool:

Tragg
08-29-2005, 08:34 PM

Gammons, please lay off the Carmine-colored glasses

What great talent would that be?

MarySwiss
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
If someone honestly picked the Sox, based off of real analysis, to win the division in February, then I'd have some respect for them.

Er, that would be me, Downstairs! In February, I bet on the Sox to win--not only the division--but the Series.

I took a lot of hits from folks who thought I was just a homer. But if the truth be told, I am--like all Sox fans--a realist. Which means I never think they're going to win the Series. Hell, I don't usually think they'll win the division. But this year is different.

Here's my "real analysis." I picked the Sox to win, not only the division, but the whole enchilada, based on what they did offseason. I mean, c'mon, the past few years, they were always close, but no cigar. Then they unloaded some high-priced talent(?), which enabled them to sign Pods and A.J. The pitching staff was already in place. And they have some minor league studs. The time is ripe,

I am not drinking Sox Kool-Aid. I'd like to see them add an offensive bat. But I have faith that KW will do just that.

I hope you respect me, Downstairs! :wink: