PDA

View Full Version : Some more BS from Gammons..

Jjav829
07-27-2001, 01:41 AM
This stuff is funny....

http://espn.go.com/gammons/s/2001/0726/1231559.html

Does this guy even pay attention to whats happening around MLB?

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Jjav829
Does this guy even pay attention to whats happening around MLB?

:boston
I think it is fairly certain that I DO NOT! I do like Boston.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 01:46 AM
That is some classic Gammons, the player himself(!) says they are very close to a deal and Gammons turns it around into he is close to deal that would trade him.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel
That is some classic Gammons, the player himself(!) says they are very close to a deal and Gammons turns it around into he is close to deal that would trade him.

:boston
I can't pick up signals from Chicago with my HAM radio, so I tend to just make stuff up and pass it as truth. Disney has the money to cover the lawsuits. By the way, did I mention that I like Boston?

Bucktown
07-27-2001, 05:45 AM
I would like to dismiss this, but it is scaring me. Gammons does have contacts and the front office is definitely dragging their feet on signing Maggs.

I don't see how you could fire Manuel. I would think Ken Williams would go first given this most recent trade.

sox_fan_4life
07-27-2001, 07:26 AM
I did think this was funny.

Q: Does draft pick Mark Prior want to play for the Cubs, what are the Cubs offering him, and what does Prior want? -- John, New York
PWG: This is very complicated, revolving around Mark Teixeira and Scott Boras. I think 6-8 first rounders will not sign.

After all the crap we heard about how Pryor would save the cubs from oblivion and how he could start for the cubs this year (this is probably true). It looks like they might now even sign him.
I got a nice big laugh when I read that.

mrwag
07-27-2001, 09:15 AM
I've been a lifelong Sox fan, but I can't take much more of this crap. Why do we have to grow excellent tallent, then trade them just as soon as they blossom??? Why does JR have this stigma that he can't keep quality players??? It can't be just about money. I think the Baldwin deal made sense, with the quality young arms we have, but why get rid of an All-Star slugger who can pick up the leadership and clubhouse? Management really doesn't have a clue. I ask myself, "Would the Yankees do this?".

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 09:23 AM
I've been a lifelong Sox fan, but I can't take much more of this crap. Why do we have to grow excellent tallent, then trade them just as soon as they blossom??? Why does JR have this stigma that he can't keep quality players??? It can't be just about money.

As Mayor Daley said:
"Money rules sports"
It is as simple as that with Reinsdorf it all comes down to the money. Follow the money that is how you know who is in charge.

mrwag
07-27-2001, 09:32 AM
How many post-season games have we played over the last 20 years? Maybe the question should be, how many COULD we have played over the last 20 years if we hadn't traded everyone once they were about to reach their prime? Maybe then this organization would have better attendance numbers and more cash in the bank.

doublem23
07-27-2001, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by mrwag
How many post-season games have we played over the last 20 years?

The answer is:
4 in 1983
6 in 1993
3 in 2000... for a grant total of 13.

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
I would like to dismiss this, but it is scaring me. Gammons does have contacts and the front office is definitely dragging their feet on signing Maggs.

I don't see how you could fire Manuel. I would think Ken Williams would go first given this most recent trade.

While it would appear that Williams would be the first one to go, the smart money says KW will cozy up to ownership, and then start to blame Manuel for the team's unachievement. I suspect that he wil ultimately fire Manuel - siting some sort of nonsense about "Grinders" and such - but then will do very little in terms of player procurement to actually acquire any grinders. Look for him to make a move to bring in a Japanese relief pitching stud, and to hire an popular ex-player as manager. As far as signing Ordonez goes, how could they possibly consider letting him go?

jabrch
04-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
While it would appear that Williams would be the first one to go, the smart money says KW will cozy up to ownership, and then start to blame Manuel for the team's unachievement. I suspect that he wil ultimately fire Manuel - siting some sort of nonsense about "Grinders" and such - but then will do very little in terms of player procurement to actually acquire any grinders. Look for him to make a move to bring in a Japanese relief pitching stud, and to hire an popular ex-player as manager. As far as signing Ordonez goes, how could they possibly consider letting him go?

Boy KingX, you got 20/20 hindsight. Pretty impressive! :)

voodoochile
04-22-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Boy KingX, you got 20/20 hindsight. Pretty impressive! :)

That's twice today the King has done this. I'm not quite getting the point yet, but I do think it's funny, just not "Ha Ha funny"... :?:

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 04:55 PM
I was going to wind this thing up with increasingly wrong-headed posts from years ago - but it seems that most people aren't in favor of it so I'll stop. IIRC the one I was going to finish with was a post I remember swearing that McKay Christensen was going to be the next Babe Ruth.

It turned out to be more difficlut than I thought - so I'll stop.

jabrch
04-22-2004, 04:59 PM
I was going to wind this thing up with increasingly wrong-headed posts from years ago - but it seems that most people aren't in favor of it so I'll stop. IIRC the one I was going to finish with was a post I remember swearing that McKay Christensen was going to be the next Babe Ruth.

Why stop now? They have been particularly funny. I don't have time/interest to pour through the miles of old threads, but I'd enjoy it if you did and kinda pulled out a "best of" segment from the archives.

mantis1212
04-22-2004, 04:59 PM

Nah keep it going! Seeing this stuff from the past is hilarious, especially the gammons article

KingXerxes
04-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Guys are complaining on some other threads about the old posts. That plus the fact that it takes too much time.

Stumblinfool
04-22-2004, 06:13 PM
Is it me or does Gammons look like a turtle

SoxBoy14
04-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Is it just me or does it seem when ever SportsCenter does the baseball highlights they do an inning by inning recap on the cubs game, Red Sox game, and the Yankee's game. Then all the other games highlights are shown all together in under a minute. Then they do some crap on Pedro or A-Rod. CURSE YOU EAST COAST!

nodiggity59
04-22-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by SoxBoy14
Is it just me or does it seem when ever SportsCenter does the baseball highlights they do an inning by inning recap on the cubs game, Red Sox game, and the Yankee's game. Then all the other games highlights are shown all together in under a minute. Then they do some crap on Pedro or A-Rod. CURSE YOU EAST COAST!

True dat.

batmanZoSo
04-22-2004, 06:42 PM
That article looks pretty stupid in retrospect. What ever happened to Ryan Anderson anyway? The last time I read about him was 1999 and he was "a year away" then, and dubbed "Litte Unit" because he's 6'11".

It goes to show you that those big tall pitchers take long to develop. So don't no one give up on Rauch.