PDA

View Full Version : Hawk's Comments About Sept Call-Ups (Re: Borchard)

Brian26
08-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Hawk made some very interesting comments last night regarding September call-ups. He said the most guys on the major league roster disdain having the minor leaguers come up...as they take up dugout space, crowd up the plane, get in their way, and end up taking a piece of any post-season purse money. Interesting stuff, as I often wondered how the overall atmosphere of the team is changed when guys like this come up on Sept 1. With that said, I see BMac and Willie being sure bets as Sept call-ups (they've contributed to the team this year), and I can see Anderson staying up here too. However, with all of that being said, I'm going to guess that it's very safe to say that Joe Borchard doesn't get called up on Sept 1.

Flight #24
08-29-2005, 01:26 PM
However, with all of that being said, I'm going to guess that it's very safe to say that Joe Borchard doesn't get called up on Sept 1.

I disagree 100%. Once they clinch, you'll see Borch up and getting some time. He's having a decent AAA year (28HR, batting .265), and they need to make a final decision on him for next year. They'll want to see if he can carry any of his AAA performance over, if for no other reason than to generate some trade value rather than just simply releasing him.

kevingrt
08-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Hawk made some very interesting comments last night regarding September call-ups. He said the most guys on the major league roster disdain having the minor leaguers come up...as they take up dugout space, crowd up the plane, get in their way, and end up taking a piece of any post-season purse money. Interesting stuff, as I often wondered how the overall atmosphere of the team is changed when guys like this come up on Sept 1. With that said, I see BMac and Willie being sure bets as Sept call-ups (they've contributed to the team this year), and I can see Anderson staying up here too. However, with all of that being said, I'm going to guess that it's very safe to say that Joe Borchard doesn't get called up on Sept 1.

I didn't get Hawk and DJ on MLB.TV that night, but those are strong words coming from Hawk. And your assumption that Borchard will not get called up I think is a pretty good one. He does not have much use on this team right now, Junior does though.

kjhanson
08-29-2005, 01:29 PM
There's no way he doesn't get called up. This will be his final month with the White Sox; we my as well get $20 worth of the $5 million we paid him. Plus, at this point, he has more power than everyone with the exception of Konerko. Not the worst bat to have on the bench.

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Hawk made some very interesting comments last night regarding September call-ups. He said the most guys on the major league roster disdain having the minor leaguers come up...as they take up dugout space, crowd up the plane, get in their way, and end up taking a piece of any post-season purse money. Interesting stuff, as I often wondered how the overall atmosphere of the team is changed when guys like this come up on Sept 1. With that said, I see BMac and Willie being sure bets as Sept call-ups (they've contributed to the team this year), and I can see Anderson staying up here too. However, with all of that being said, I'm going to guess that it's very safe to say that Joe Borchard doesn't get called up on Sept 1.They generally don't call up that many, so the issues you mentioned (taking up space, etc.) seem pretty silly. The playoff team votes on how to divide the playoff money, so the Sept callups generally get only a token share, if any. My guess for call-ups:

Locks:
Anderson
McCarthy (will get called up on Tuesday)
Gload
Harris
AAdkins (probably sent down on Tuesday and recalled later)

Probables:
Borchard
Bajenaru

What these guys do provide is rest for starters. Over a long season, all players accumulate assorted nagging injuries that they play through. Rest is the only way to get these cured.

SoxinAZ
08-29-2005, 02:10 PM
Keep in mind that each call-up costs about $60,000 in salary plus the per deim.

dickallen15
08-29-2005, 02:18 PM
I heard Hawk and thought it was interesting. I think only a few guys will get called up at most. Borchard, since he's been with the team and most of the guys know him, won't have a problem.

SomebodyToldMe
08-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Joe Borchard?

:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Jerome
08-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I dont care about this supposed chemistry garbage if the call-ups will help the team. We will forget what Hawk says the minute one of the callups do something good. Would a MLB player in a pennant race really begrudge a new teammate? And if so, would he let it come in the way of winning?

JB98
08-29-2005, 02:56 PM
I wouldn't call Borchard up. He's had a good second half at Charlotte, but I don't think he can help us down the stretch. What do we need seven outfielders for? He's got Pods, A-Row, JD, Hot Carl, Timo and Anderson ahead of him on the depth chart. He wouldn't even play.

I'd bring up Harris, just for the sake of having an extra infielder and a pinch-runner. I figure Gload will be back. If we can wrap the division up early, they'd probably like to give Konerko a few days off to get ready for the playoffs. I think you'll see Burke back as well. He's an Ozzie favorite, and Guillen has been squawking in the press about wanting a third catcher. Jamie also gives us a little versatility.

I'd say it will be those three, B-Mac, plus one more relief pitcher. Adkins will stay around. It's just a matter of whether KW and Ozzie want another lefty. If so, we'll see Munoz. If not, it will be Baj.

steff
08-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Apparently Baj is on his way to Texas.. :bandance: