PDA

View Full Version : Timo and Blum? WHY???

TFLEM33
08-29-2005, 02:16 AM
As many of us loyal Sox fans have stated numerous times, Timo Perez simply sucks and is useless. Geoff Blum? That is another story. We trade for a guy who supposedly can play every defensive position, but we neglect to think about the fact that he is mediocre at best at every defensive position and swings a terrible bat. Why not send Blum and Timo down and bring up Ross Gload and Willie Harris? Harris would give us some speed off the bench, and Gload would provide some much-needed offense as he has been tearing up Triple-A. I realize that this post probably won't matter in a few days as both will make the trek to Chicago with the September call-ups, but it is something to think about for playoff rosters. Why Timo is still with the team is beyond me and why we even pursued Blum in the first place escapes me as well. I just think that the Gload/Harris combo would be a lot better than the Blum/Perez combo. What do you guys think?

mcp5185
08-29-2005, 02:27 AM
As many of us loyal Sox fans have stated numerous times, Timo Perez simply sucks and is useless. Geoff Blum? That is another story. We trade for a guy who supposedly can play every defensive position, but we neglect to think about the fact that he is mediocre at best at every defensive position and swings a terrible bat. Why not send Blum and Timo down and bring up Ross Gload and Willie Harris? Harris would give us some speed off the bench, and Gload would provide some much-needed offense as he has been tearing up Triple-A. I realize that this post probably won't matter in a few days as both will make the trek to Chicago with the September call-ups, but it is something to think about for playoff rosters. Why Timo is still with the team is beyond me and why we even pursued Blum in the first place escapes me as well. I just think that the Gload/Harris combo would be a lot better than the Blum/Perez combo. What do you guys think?

First of all, Willie Harris is worse than Blum and Perez. The only way in which he is better is speed. I agree that Gload should be up, but, both Blum and Perez have proven to be valuable pinch hitters. Gload will be up and hopefully on our playoff roster.

We pursued Blum because we had absolutely no option to backup Crede at 3rd. I suppose you could say Ozuna but he is terrible at 3rd. Blum is much better than mediocre on defense, but in no way is he as good as Crede. Another reason both Blum is here is because he can play multiple positions like you said. Timo can only really play 2nd ,and Gload 1st.

SOXfnNlansing
08-29-2005, 02:32 AM
:DJ "Ut oh"

HotelWhiteSox
08-29-2005, 02:34 AM
I think we should send Timo and Blum to Cinci for Griffey and cash. Well, we really get the short end by losing the IF util guy, throw in Freel too to make it more even :redneck

Banix12
08-29-2005, 02:59 AM
The why of Timo and Blum...

Blum: The white sox needed a backup for Joe Crede who could actually play the position competently. Ozuna has struggled at the position and Harris really doesn't have the arm for it. 3rd base is a weak position in the sox farm system right now. Josh Fields is too young and the other options, Greg Norton and Jaime Burke, are hardly effective defensively. So without Blum, in a situation right now where Crede is hurt the sox would have trouble filling the position defensively.

Timo: Timo has two abilities that keep him on the team. He has a history of being "clutch" and has come up big in tight situations this season and in past season. It's his reputation. He also has a cannon for an arm making him an effective defensive substitute in the OF.

Gload can play OF but nobody would call him great at the position and it's hard to trust the guy out there this season since he blew out his arm in the minors throwing to home plate from FIRST BASE. Since he can't play the OF and Konerko and Everett are firmly entrenched at 1st and DH he has nowhere to play except as a pinch hitter or late inning defensive substitute.

Basically the sox have a short bench with only 4 position players on it and one of them is a catcher, so all backups must be able to play multiple positions. Timo can play all the OF positions and Blum can play all the infield positions so they are a bit more valuable than guys like harris and Gload right now.

RallyBowl
08-29-2005, 10:17 AM

And many faithful Sox fans think Timo and Blum are just fine. Myself included.

daveeym
08-29-2005, 10:43 AM
You want to know why Timo and Blum? 162

SoxFan76
08-29-2005, 11:38 AM
I say anyone who starts a thread ripping on Timo should be banned like they are in attendance threads.

But that's just me...and Timo Perez...and a few other people around here.

But I guess people have nobody else to complain about, so they have to complain about the 24th and 25th men on the team.

santo=dorf
08-29-2005, 11:42 AM
Blum has had some big hits lately and made a tremendous slide and later scored on a hit by TIMO to beat Minnesota.

That's why. :rolleyes:

Palehose13
08-29-2005, 11:46 AM
I say anyone who starts a thread ripping on Timo should be banned like they are in attendance threads.

But I guess people have nobody else to complain about, so they have to complain about the 24th and 25th men on the team.

Meh...It'd be boring around here without the whiners. :wink:

fledgedrallycap
08-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Talk about beating a dead horse...:thud:

They're bench players who give rest to the regulars. Both are versatile defensively and are solid in terms of their fundamentals.

SoxinAZ
08-29-2005, 12:00 PM
I could personally live quite well without ever seeing Willie in a Sox uniform again.

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Meh...It'd be boring around here without the whiners. :wink:Not to mention pretty empty.:tongue:

deck27
08-29-2005, 12:21 PM
Going into the playoffs the starting 8 are set, barring injuries. From the bench you want a couple pinch hit bats and a guy who can steal a base (e.g., Dave Roberts last year).

Assuming 11 pitchers and 8 starters, we have room for 6
Widger
Ozuna
Blum
Perez
______
______

I'd add Harris to pinch run and a LH bat from somewhere, Griffey, Ibanez, Gload, Borchard. You gotta keep Blum if Crede's back goes out.

mcp5185
08-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Going into the playoffs the starting 8 are set, barring injuries. From the bench you want a couple pinch hit bats and a guy who can steal a base (e.g., Dave Roberts last year).

Assuming 11 pitchers and 8 starters, we have room for 6
Widger
Ozuna
Blum
Perez
______
______

I'd add Harris to pinch run and a LH bat from somewhere, Griffey, Ibanez, Gload, Borchard. You gotta keep Blum if Crede's back goes out.

PLEASE not Borchard! Gload will be on the team if no trade is made.

BainesHOF
08-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Timo is good in his planned role of being a pinch-hitter. He's a veteran who usually has good at-bats off the bench. He's especially good in pressure situations...Circumstances, specifically Podsednik's injury, thrusted him in a termporary starting role in which he was way over his head. But Podsednik was going to come back, sending Timo back to his regular and valuable role as a pinch-hitter.

Blum on the other is barely servicable. He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed with a bat in his hands. Why he's been playing so much beyond third base is beyond me. He's a versatile no-talent which is like being the tallest midget. What really bothers me is how dumb he is in the batters box.

SoxFan76
08-29-2005, 12:55 PM
PLEASE not Borchard! Gload will be on the team if no trade is made.

He's doing pretty good in AAA this year...I wouldn't be totally opposed to giving him another shot. Of course Gload deserves that shot before Borchard does.

Banix12
08-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Timo is good in his planned role of being a pinch-hitter. He's a veteran who usually has good at-bats off the bench. He's especially good in pressure situations...Circumstances, specifically Podsednik's injury, thrusted him in a termporary starting role in which he was way over his head. But Podsednik was going to come back, sending Timo back to his regular and valuable role as a pinch-hitter.

Actually historically Timo is an awful pinch hitter. he's a solid once or twice a week spot starter/fourth OF but Pinch Hitting is not his best role.

2005 as a Pinch Hitter
21 AB's
3 Hits
Avg .143
1 RBI

Last 4 years 2002-2005 as PH
89 AB's
15 hits
avg. 169
7 RBI

mr_genius
08-29-2005, 04:48 PM

it's much more fun to rip on Crede and read all the "how dare you, Crede is great!" posts

ps.
Crede sucks

TimoPerez
08-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Individual players don't make a team. A team wins and loses together. There shouldn't be bashing of any players on a team that you love. If you love one, you love all. It is "Go Sox!" Not "Go 22 players on the team that I like!"

bobowhite
08-29-2005, 05:49 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Timo, although he has proved he can adequately (not well) hit major league pitching. He's a decent extra outfielder and worth keeping. I don't think Ozzie should be slipping him into the lead-off role though.

Blum is an adequate option at third who doesn't butcher ground balls into doubles like Ozuna has shown to be adept at. Not as good as Crede but an adequate back-up. I think the Sox organization is weak at third so they need to purchase some insurance. Blum also plays first so he's a decent fifth infielder.

I prefer Tino and Blum to any of the other current options, but both could have upgrades next year.

buehrle4cy05
08-29-2005, 05:51 PM
Yes, Timo Perez does annoy some people here with his inconsistent offense, but put him up with the game on the line in the 8th or 9th inning, and I'll take him any day. Timo also plays a very good left field, although his style of catching fly balls can scare you. Blum is one of the most valuable utility players on the team, he can play 1st, 3rd, and even a 2nd.

I'm getting sick of these "bashing Timo" threads...we're in first place, why do people feel the urge to diss players on the team?:angry:

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2005, 06:03 PM
Yes, Timo Perez does annoy some people here with his inconsistent offense, but put him up with the game on the line in the 8th or 9th inning, and I'll take him any day. Timo also plays a very good left field, although his style of catching fly balls can scare you. Blum is one of the most valuable utility players on the team, he can play 1st, 3rd, and even a 2nd.

I'm getting sick of these "bashing Timo" threads...we're in first place, why do people feel the urge to diss players on the team?:angry:Look at Timo's 3-yr splits (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlbhist/players/splits?statsId=6568&type=batting3). He hits above his overall average in clutch situations, and below his overall average leading off an inning and with nobody on base. But of course, there's no such thing as "clutch", is there?

cwsox
08-29-2005, 07:10 PM

I think you need to learn about the Sox.

Let's go back to last Thursday, at the Dome:

1. who scored the first run
2. who threw the ball on target to make the play at the plate to crush twins momentum
3. who scored the winning run
4. who drove in the winning run

give props to who deserves them

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 10:58 PM

There is nothing wrong with Timo and Blum. Timo is our most clutch hitter off the bench and that is his speciality. All good teams need someone like him and he is great at what he does. i disagree with you aboou Blum. I knew he wasn't going to hit 40 homeruns for us, but he does have a nice swing. He hit his 1st hr today for the sox. To be honest with you, I'd rather have him at bat than Crede. I think he is a better hitter and has better at bats. Crede sucks! Willie is not even close to being on their level. He sucks! Gload needs to be on this team right now though. I feel bad for him becayse he has to deal with a stubborn Guillen. We need hitting right now and Gload is what we need. Bring him up Ozzie!

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 11:02 PM

Blum on the other is barely servicable. He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed with a bat in his hands. Why he's been playing so much beyond third base is beyond me. He's a versatile no-talent which is like being the tallest midget. What really bothers me is how dumb he is in the batters box.

What are you talking about? He has good atbats. So dumb huh? He hit a homerun tonight. He is fine, plus he is a switch hitter. He is a better hitter than Crede.

We need hitting right now!!!!!!!!! We will not make it out of the 1st round without getting another hitter. This is ridiculous!

Banix12
08-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Gload needs to be on this team right now though. I feel bad for him becayse he has to deal with a stubborn Guillen. We need hitting right now and Gload is what we need. Bring him up Ozzie!

First, welcome

As stated earlier, the sox have Konerko at 1st and Everett at DH so the sox already have everyday players at Gload's two best positions. He hurt his arm throwing from first to home so they don't want him playing in the OF.

I like Gload's bat as much as the next guy but realistically since the sox have a very short bench they can't afford to have a guy who just sits there riding the pine for two weeks at a time with nowhere to play.

Rosters expand soon though and you should get your wish.

SoxFan76
08-29-2005, 11:04 PM
it's much more fun to rip on Crede and read all the "how dare you, Crede is great!" posts

ps.
Crede sucks

:rolleyes:

20+ homers, 70+ RBI and Gold Glove caliber defense from your number 8 hitter? Man, Crede sure does suck.

Seriously, if everybody ripped on Adkins I wouldn't care because, um, he actually sucks!

I can't believe how freakin negative everybody is about players from your favorite team.

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 11:08 PM
:rolleyes:

20+ homers, 70+ RBI and Gold Glove caliber defense from your number 8 hitter? Man, Crede sure does suck.

Seriously, if everybody ripped on Adkins I wouldn't care because, um, he actually sucks!

I can't believe how freakin negative everybody is about players from your favorite team.

The only thing good about Crede is his defense. He sucks at the plate. Too damn inconsistent. I am tired of watching him stikeout or pop up all the time. I would rather have Blum in their offensively, but Crede is better defensively.

Ol' No. 2
08-29-2005, 11:20 PM
The only thing good about Crede is his defense. He sucks at the plate. Too damn inconsistent. I am tired of watching him stikeout or pop up all the time. I would rather have Blum in their offensively, but Crede is better defensively.Really? What part of Blum's .208/.236/.245 do you find so attractive? Or is it the ONE RBI?

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Really? What part of Blum's .208/.236/.245 do you find so attractive? Or is it the ONE RBI?

He still looks better at the plate than Crede does. He just hit a HR today and Crede hasb't hit one for a long time. I like that he is a switch hitter. He is a tougher out. Crede is such an easy out. 3 pitches and he's out. You watch....Blum will come through for us this year. He has a good swing and can hit too all fields.