PDA

View Full Version : R Ibanez to the Sox?

Whitesox4ever
08-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Paul White was on XM radio a little awhile ago and reported that Kenny Williams was in Seattle this weekend to take a look at Ibanez and is very high on him.

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
This would be good. I've liked Ibanez for a while and have thought he'd be a good pickup for the Sox, who definitely need an infusion of left-handed power.

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2005, 08:05 PM
This would be good. I've liked Ibanez for a while and have thought he'd be a good pickup for the Sox, who definitely need an infusion of left-handed power.Either that or he's trying to flush out Linder. This is exactly what they need - a credible alternative.

JUribe1989
08-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Getting Ibanez would do wonders for this team.

SoxxoS
08-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Would be a nice consolation prize to Junior Griffey.

Optipessimism
08-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Getting Ibanez would do wonders for this team.

How? He can DH or play corner OF. So can Everett. To me, what it would cost for Ibanez probably wouldn't be worth it unless Pods has some more trouble, but even then we could use Anderson and get much better defense. Ibanez would strengthen the bench no doubt, but wouldn't do much beyond that.

I'm hoping Kenny can get someone with a decent stick to play third, otherwise maybe a shortstop with a decent stick so Uribe can move there. 3B is a glaring hole right now.

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2005, 08:53 PM
How? He can DH or play corner OF. So can Everett. To me, what it would cost for Ibanez probably wouldn't be worth it unless Pods has some more trouble, but even then we could use Anderson and get much better defense. Ibanez would strengthen the bench no doubt, but wouldn't do much beyond that.

I'm hoping Kenny can get someone with a decent stick to play third, otherwise maybe a shortstop with a decent stick so Uribe can move there. 3B is a glaring hole right now.Everett has been horrible against righties this year. I can't explain it, because in previous years he was always better hitting LH, but the splits have been consistent all year. A good LH hitter to DH against righties and play OF on occasion is exactly what this team needs. It's not Griffey, but he's a hell of a lot better than nothing.

103 screwball
08-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Ibanez is hitting well vs. right and left handers. I heard a lot of compliments about him form Hawk and DJ. Maybe they know something. I'd rather have Griffey, but Ibanez is solid and would improve the Sox for the playoffs.

buehrle4cy05
08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
IIRC, Ibanez can also play first base. I'd like to have him, and you ask where he would play, I would DH him vs. righties, Carl vs. lefties. It seems to me like Carl's hitting better righty than lefty...if somebody has any stats to back that up or refute it that would be nice.

brewcrew/chisox
08-28-2005, 10:19 PM
IIRC, Ibanez can also play first base. I'd like to have him, and you ask where he would play, I would DH him vs. righties, Carl vs. lefties. It seems to me like Carl's hitting better righty than lefty...if somebody has any stats to back that up or refute it that would be nice.

And can someone else tell me why he was hitting left handed today against Moyer?

Palehose13
08-28-2005, 10:21 PM
And can someone else tell me why he was hitting left handed today against Moyer?

According to the Mariner announcers, Moyer doesn't use his change-up to lefties. They were thinking that Carl was trying to take that pitch away from Moyer after striking out right-handed his first at bat.

SOXandILLINI
08-28-2005, 10:25 PM
since moyer turns the ball over so much, the thought is having the ball coming down and in is better than down and away. not saying i like it, its just the school of thought by some.

Brian26
08-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Ibanez is hitting well vs. right and left handers. I heard a lot of compliments about him form Hawk and DJ. Maybe they know something. I'd rather have Griffey, but Ibanez is solid and would improve the Sox for the playoffs.

Rooney on the radio side has also gone out of his way to compliment Ibanez over the past month, FWIW.

Foulke You
08-28-2005, 11:20 PM
Ibanez would certainly add depth and he is a very solid hitter, however, it doesn't scream out "difference maker" like a Griffey Jr. but I wouldn't be against it though. This team could use some extra offensive depth.

Anyone know how Ibanez is in the outfield? Is he a liability out there or is he merely serviceable?

Soxzilla
08-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Ibanez would certainly add depth and he is a very solid hitter, however, it doesn't scream out "difference maker" like a Griffey Jr. but I wouldn't be against it though. This team could use some extra offensive depth.

Anyone know how Ibanez is in the outfield? Is he a liability out there or is he merely serviceable?

He made a pretty great play out there in the second game. Not so much jaw dropping, but he took the perfect route to the ball...which is more than I can say for other outfielders (Pods included).

MIgrenade
08-29-2005, 01:00 AM

I wouldn't doubt the Hawk comment to be honest. I had a bad feeling about the Griffey deal as soon as he went off about it. Hawk is the first line of PR for the team and what he says matters to a lot of people. If Hawk is going out of his way to compliment a player, then there's a rumor about him, don't think that isn't a coincidence. I'm not saying this is going to happen, but I think it brings some validity to it.

IowaSox1971
08-29-2005, 03:07 AM
Has Ibanez cleared waivers?

Soxfest
08-29-2005, 03:44 AM
RI would be a good addition

Letmehearya
08-29-2005, 07:23 AM
As long as the price is a couple of "Rogowski-like" prospects, it's the right thing to do. Adds veteran depth to a playoff team. I too hope it's a slap at Linder.

Iguana775
08-29-2005, 08:15 AM
Paul White was on XM radio a little awhile ago and reported that Kenny Williams was in Seattle this weekend to take a look at Ibanez and is very high on him.

I thought the Sox were trading for Griffey??!!!

Lillian
08-29-2005, 08:55 AM
Carl's stats have always been much better batting left handed. That includes his average and power numbers. This year is an aberation, partly due to a wrist injury, that has hurt him left handed.