PDA

View Full Version : Sandberg is "Greatest Cub," per Brenly

Vernam
08-28-2005, 06:55 PM
I made the mistake of pausing on WGN while channel surfing and caught a snippet of today's Flubs game, just in time to hear Brenly musing about the retirement of number 23. How fitting that another all-time Chicago great (that would be Michael Jordan) wore that number, he said, and "now the Cubs' all-time greatest player is having the same number retired."

:chunks

Okay, I'm obviously willing to accept the postulate that the Flubs' all-time best player couldn't even make it into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, but could any sane person claim Sandberg was better than Ernie Banks? Or than Billy Williams, for that matter?

VC

kittle42
08-28-2005, 07:00 PM
I just want to know how many people at the game had to be told who he is.

ilsox7
08-28-2005, 07:02 PM
I made the mistake of pausing on WGN while channel surfing and caught a snippet of today's Flubs game, just in time to hear Brenly musing about the retirement of number 23. How fitting that another all-time Chicago great (that would be Michael Jordan) wore that number, he said, and "now the Cubs' all-time greatest player is having the same number retired."

:chunks

Okay, I'm obviously willing to accept the postulate that the Flubs' all-time best player couldn't even make it into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, but could any sane person claim Sandberg was better than Ernie Banks? Or than Billy Williams, for that matter?

VC

Actually, no. That's not what Brenly said, at least when I had the game on in the background. What he actually said is that Sandberg is the greatest baseball player in CHICAGO BASEBALL HISTORY.

TornLabrum
08-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Actually, no. That's not what Brenly said, at least when I had the game on in the background. What he actually said is that Sandberg is the greatest baseball player in CHICAGO BASEBALL HISTORY.

Well, let's see...the game was on WGN. Can you say "corporate synergy"?

chitownhawkfan
08-28-2005, 07:58 PM
I thought the greatest Chicago baseball player ever was Ron Santo?:?:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I thought the greatest Chicago baseball player ever was Ron Santo?:?:

This Old Cub - On 5 times a week - this fall on Superstation WGN.

http://www.jdrfillinois.org/help-cure-diabetes/images/ThisOldCubSmall.jpg

greenpeach
08-28-2005, 08:24 PM

He's right, until Ryno came along we had no baseball heroes in Chicago. Jenkins, Fox, Aparicio, Pierce & even Cap Anson they were all bums. Gabby Hartnett couldn't hold Ryno's jock.

Frater Perdurabo
08-28-2005, 08:48 PM

I'm not sure he's even the best second baseman in Chicago baseball history.

What he did do is leverage his talent to best take advantage of the quirks of Wrigley Field and leverage his smile to win over legions of WGN's viewers.

First, he padded his power stats by aiming for the Urinal's short power alleys and Tru-link basket.
:o:

The tall grass of the Urinal's infield artifically extended his fielding "range" in comparison to contemporary NL second basemen who played home games in stadiums with artificial turf (St. Louis, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Montreal, Houston). Also, we all know how much offensive production unfairly affects Gold Glove voting.

He played in an era when WGN nationally televised every single Cubs' game. This increased his exposure and the number of All-Star votes he received.

Sandberg came up as a third baseman. The Cubs moved him to second because his arm was not sufficiently strong to play third and because they didn't think he had enough power potential to play a "power" position.

in 1987, Paul Noce nearly duplicated Sandberg's fielding percentage at 2B when Ryno was on the DL (.985 to .982).

Consequently, many consider him "the best second baseman of his generation." To that I respond, "Tallest Midget" (80s) and "Roberto Alomar" (90s).
:cool:

Brenly either is an utter moron or a complete sell-out to the Cubune Corp.

ilsox7
08-28-2005, 08:55 PM

Both, actually.

StillMissOzzie
08-28-2005, 09:59 PM
VC

Or Ferguson Jenkins, 6 time 20 game winner with those pathetic teams in that bandbox for a home?

These two choices are not mutually exclusive. ilsox7 is correct.

SMO
:gulp:

Foulke You
08-29-2005, 12:16 AM

Best 2nd Baseman in Chicago baseball history>>>:nellie

SouthSide_HitMen
08-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Best 2nd Baseman in Chicago baseball history>>>:nellie

Fox is second best.

http://www.whitecleats.org/hof/ecollins.jpg

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/collied01.shtml

Played on last World Championship team. Agreed as one of the best or the best second baseman ever (along with Morgan and Hornsby).

MikeLove
08-29-2005, 01:55 AM
i actually caught this as my cub fan roomate was watchin the game before the sox were on. i immediately said, "wait did he just say ryne sandberg was the best baseball player in chicago history?" what a stupid thing to say!

SOXPHILE
08-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Do any of these blue hatted idiots even know any Cub players prior to 1984, or 1969 ? Have they ever heard of people like Cap Anson, Gabby Hartnet (sp ?), Phil Cavareta, ? Do they know what Tinkers to Evers to Chance was ? Sandberg the "Greatest Cub" ever ? We all know Sox fans know alot more about baseball in general than The Sheep. It's pretty sad though, when we know more about the history of THEIR OWN TEAM than they claim to follow and watch.

Hangar18
08-29-2005, 11:36 AM

What he did do is leverage his talent to best take advantage of the quirks of Wrigley Field and leverage his smile to win over legions of WGN's viewers.

First, he padded his power stats by aiming for the Urinal's short power alleys and Tru-link basket.

The tall grass of the Urinal's infield artifically extended his fielding "range" in comparison to contemporary NL second basemen who played home games in stadiums with artificial turf (St. Louis, Philly, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Montreal, Houston). Also, we all know how much offensive production unfairly affects Gold Glove voting.

He played in an era when WGN nationally televised every single Cubs' game. This increased his exposure and the number of All-Star votes he received.

Sandberg came up as a third baseman. The Cubs moved him to second because his arm was not sufficiently strong to play third and because they didn't think he had enough power potential to play a "power" position.

in 1987, Paul Noce nearly duplicated Sandberg's fielding percentage at 2B when Ryno was on the DL (.985 to .982).

Consequently, many consider him "the best second baseman of his generation." To that I respond, "Tallest Midget" (80s) and "Roberto Alomar" (90s).
:cool:

Frater my friend, I couldnt have said it any better myself.

jackbrohamer
08-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Only a fool would consider Sandberg a better 2B than Rogers Hornsby even though Hornsby was more of a Cardinal than a Scrub.

Tekijawa
08-29-2005, 11:45 AM
Isn't this like the Eighth time this year that they've retired something of Sandberg's at Wrigley this year?

SouthSide_HitMen
08-29-2005, 01:32 PM
Isn't this like the Eighth time this year that they've retired something of Sandberg's at Wrigley this year?

What they need to retire is the "celebrity" Take Me Out to the Ballgame. It was old and tiresome 2 years ago.

Vernam
08-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Fox is second best.

http://www.whitecleats.org/hof/ecollins.jpg

http://www.baseball-reference.com/c/collied01.shtml

Played on last World Championship team. Agreed as one of the best or the best second baseman ever (along with Morgan and Hornsby).I'm still pissed that Fox, Collins, and Hornsby didn't show up to see Ryno enshrined. Who do they think they are?

Not to hijack the thread (I did start it, though!), but did anyone catch the negative reference to Eddie C. in coverage of how Ted Williams got left off the nominees for the all-time Latino baseball team despite being half Mexican? LINK (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/26/sports/baseball/26latino.html). That story quotes the author of a recent Williams biography as saying some of Ted's relatives on his mom's side of the family blamed Eddie Collins because he, as Red Sox GM, supposedly told Williams he ought to keep them at arm's length. I don't know what's more troubling: For Eddie to have given and for Ted to have taken such advice, or that such personal accusations get aired so casually when the people aren't alive to defend themselves.

VC

SouthSide_HitMen
08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I don't know what's more troubling: For Eddie to have given and for Ted to have taken such advice, or that such personal accusations get aired so casually when the people aren't alive to defend themselves.

VC

I'd go with the later. The first portion is hearsay and innuendo. It's not like anyone in Ted's family hasn't tried to cash in on his corpse.

http://apse.dallasnews.com/contest/2002/writing/over250/over250.news.fourth.html

Sox Blue 69-70
08-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Only a fool would consider Sandberg a better 2B than Rogers Hornsby even though Hornsby was more of a Cardinal than a Scrub.

Well said, JB. But then again, history begins around 1969 for the Kool-Aid bunch.