PDA

View Full Version : Mullet Night; Good or bad?

thechico
08-28-2005, 05:12 PM
Me, I think it is a BAD idea. Scrub fans didn't have too much to stereotype us with before the idiots from Alsip came along. Now it's trailer trash (yeah, like there's a mobile home park anywhere near), crack addicts, and prostitutes. Mullet night just fuels the stereotype. We ain't cheeseheads who take pride in insults (cheesehead caps, Milwaukee's Beast). I say no way. This will come back to burn us. And no, I don't have a mullet, just a 2/1 buzz (1 on the side, 2 on the top).
Whadya say?

Chico

Daver
08-28-2005, 05:14 PM
My 12" long ponytail disagrees with you.

SoxFan76
08-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Lighten up dude. We as Sox fans know the stereotypes about us aren't true. Why not just make fun of it? Embrace it and have a good time. I don't know any Sox fans with a mullet, but mullet night sounds like a fun time.

thechico
08-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Ponytail is one thing. Mullet is something else. Even I had a (relatively short) ponytail for awhile. Is yours short in front?

ilsox7
08-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Me, I think it is a BAD idea. Scrub fans didn't have too much to stereotype us with before the idiots from Alsip came along. Now it's trailer trash (yeah, like there's a mobile home park anywhere near), crack addicts, and prostitutes. Mullet night just fuels the stereotype. We ain't cheeseheads who take pride in insults (cheesehead caps, Milwaukee's Beast). I say no way. This will come back to burn us. And no, I don't have a mullet, just a 2/1 buzz (1 on the side, 2 on the top).
Whadya say?

Chico

But at least YOU don't stereotype people.

Hagan
08-28-2005, 05:17 PM
I think it is funny. I like the idea. I think that white sox fan have more of a thug/gangster sterotype. Mullet night is kind of fun in my opinion.

The Dude
08-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Flub fans have been making fun of it to myself all season long. It seems like a funny idea, but people just assume we're a bunch of Ligue-looking fans and they can use this promotion to poke fun. Screw em.:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2005, 05:25 PM
I was against it when I heard about it last winter, but the team has been doing so well I now see this as a clever way for the team to garner some extra fluff stories from the local and national media. Everything is working for the 2005 Sox... even Mullet Night.

:cool:

:gallas
"Next year it will be Flying Mullet Night! And then we'll have Make Love Not War Sleepover with Flying Mullet Night! The possibilities are endless..."

thechico
08-28-2005, 05:28 PM
"I think that white sox fan have more of a thug/gangster sterotype."

Frankly, I prefer that to trailer trash. Tends to make 'em to mess with ya less.

Daver
08-28-2005, 05:36 PM

Frankly, I prefer that to trailer trash. Tends to make 'em to mess with ya less.

I'll alert the rest of the residents of the gated trailer park I live in.

Palehose13
08-28-2005, 05:40 PM

:rolleyes:

Joosh
08-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Anytime I read or hear something about Mullet Night, All I can think about is that line from Maximum Exposure...

"Sweet Sweet Mullet."

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 05:58 PM
:moron "They are doing this just to get back at me."

Frankfan4life
08-28-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea of mullet night because it leaves out a signicant part of the Sox's fan base. It will be pretty hard for blacks to participate in mullet night. The only black person I know of with a mullet is Nick Ashford.

http://re2.mm-a1.yimg.com/image/165043874

I like promotions that give almost everyone an opportunity to participate.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 06:04 PM
A good site to get you into the mood of Mullet Night:

http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

Juice16
08-28-2005, 06:09 PM
We have mullet night every half price monday

Banix12
08-28-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Mullet Night, but I don't really think it's a big deal. Most promotions are quickly forgotten right after they occur unless they are a popular annual event (dog day) or complete disasters (Disco Demolition, Nickel Beer night). I don't think that Mullet Night has much of a chance of falling into either of these categories. It could end up being an annual event depending on how it is received but i figure this is likely a one shot deal. Haircut nights are always more fun if it has something to do with a player and his hair instead of a particular style. Kinda like what Seattle used to do with Jay Buhner for years.

I always thought the sox should have had a Valentin's mustache night while he was on the team, first 10,000 fans get a stick on mustache.

On the current team I think an Aaron Rowand Headshave night would be fun

FoulTerritory
08-28-2005, 06:40 PM
bad idea.

mr_genius
08-28-2005, 07:30 PM
A good site to get you into the mood of Mullet Night:

http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

haha, funny site

TornLabrum
08-28-2005, 08:17 PM
In response to the original question: I'm completely indifferent.

hsnterprize
08-28-2005, 08:21 PM
I'm not too keen on the idea of mullet night because it leaves out a signicant part of the Sox's fan base. It will be pretty hard for blacks to participate in mullet night. The only black person I know of with a mullet is Nick Ashford.

Uh...'scuse me. One of the top hairstyles for blacks in the 1980's was a mullet-style called the "Jheri (pronounced Jerry) Curl". It was a style named after the maker of the chemical (Jheri Redding) often sprayed in black people's hair (mostly men, but women wore them very occasionally) known as either "Jheri Curl Juice", or the more commonly-known term, "curl activator".

If you click here, you might learn something about black culture and a pretty interesting hairstyle... (http://www.answers.com/topic/jheri-curl)

In reality, sometimes it was worn like a mullet, and sometimes it wasn't. But no matter what, every time a black man put his head on a pillow or headrest, he would leave an unmistakable impression on it with the wetness of all the activator he sprayed in his hair in order to keep his "curl" from drying out. It was an 80's staple in black culture...wouldn't bother me one bit if this was somehow added into the mix along with mullet night.

BTW...I think Mullet Night is a great idea. Maybe I ought to write Brooks about a Jheri Curl Night or a combination of the two.

Here's something to think about...if you're not quite sure what I talking about as far as the "pillow" or "headrest" thing, check out the 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy, "Coming To America". Murphy plays an African prince who comes to Queens, New York in search of true love after denouncing an arranged marriage. Anyway, one of the characters in the film is Darrel Jenks, played by "ER" star Eriq LaSalle. Darrel plays the boyfriend of the woman Murphy is pursuing, and he's really into the Jheri Curl thing. Jenks is the pitchman for a product called "Soul Glo", a curl activator, and if you watch the "commercial" in the film, you'll see the whole curl thing in plain view...and it's a riot!!!!!

SOXintheBURGH
08-28-2005, 09:45 PM
To me, the whole idea of the "mullet" being funny ended in 1999. It's old.

gobears1987
08-28-2005, 09:57 PM
I don't care about this and I don't have a mullet. I had decent length hair until Orientation for NROTC a few weeks ago. Now I have a Marine "High and tight' haircut.

mr_genius
08-28-2005, 10:04 PM

not to me

it'll always be funny, kinda like W.C Fields

AMestan
08-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Mullet Night is stupid. Half way to St. Patrick's day is just as bad. The best record in the AL and people are trying to get ticket's for Mullet Night? Give me a break. Maybe Brooks should market the baseball team and get his core fan base back. It's coming back in spite of Mullet's, Elvis, Dog's, Pizza Races, AC DC, "Let's get Rowdy", or St. Patrick. Maybe we can bring back Stephan or Steven, what ever his name is and do he can do his DJ routine.

Promotions are great; Gloves, Bats, Helmets, Caps for kids. I'm sick of seeing dumb promotions. Win, play hard and the crowds come. We're not Simpleton's, I don't need someone to tell me how or when to have fun at the Park. Then again, I was born and raised on the South Side, I hope I'm not the minority on this WebSite. Hopefully, the Sox will keep winning for a couple of years and some of the stupid promotions will go away just like Stephan.

SoxinAZ
08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Bad!!

daslobo
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
My job will not allow me to sport the mullet but I'd grow another one in a second. A glorious flowing Kentucky waterfall is a beautiful thing. Sheesh... coldnecks.

Soxzilla
08-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Mullet Night is stupid. Half way to St. Patrick's day is just as bad. The best record in the AL and people are trying to get ticket's for Mullet Night? Give me a break. Maybe Brooks should market the baseball team and get his core fan base back. It's coming back in spite of Mullet's, Elvis, Dog's, Pizza Races, AC DC, "Let's get Rowdy", or St. Patrick. Maybe we can bring back Stephan or Steven, what ever his name is and do he can do his DJ routine.

Promotions are great; Gloves, Bats, Helmets, Caps for kids. I'm sick of seeing dumb promotions. Win, play hard and the crowds come. We're not Simpleton's, I don't need someone to tell me how or when to have fun at the Park. Then again, I was born and raised on the South Side, I hope I'm not the minority on this WebSite. Hopefully, the Sox will keep winning for a couple of years and some of the stupid promotions will go away just like Stephan.

Lighten up Sally.

SomebodyToldMe
08-29-2005, 12:13 AM

You forgot Vampire in Brooklyn:
http://www.xi-online.nl/i/archief/vampir96.jpg

Sox of White
08-29-2005, 12:18 AM
I think it is funny. I like the idea. I think that white sox fan have more of a thug/gangster sterotype. Mullet night is kind of fun in my opinion. I agree totally.

getonbckthr
08-29-2005, 12:27 AM
We have mullet night every half price monday

gold

Nellie_Fox
08-29-2005, 12:30 AM
Don't forget the late, great
http://www.musicmatic.de/W/WhiteBa1a.jpg

chitownhawkfan
08-29-2005, 01:17 AM
I agree with the man in Pittsburgh. First of all mullet websites and the like were semi-funny back in the late 1990's. I wont be wearing a mullet but if other people want to do it, I could care less. The other reason that this is a bit goofy is that according to fashionistas the mullet is making a comeback. Not that I am a fashionista, in fact I'm more of a socks and sandsl type of guy.

StillMissOzzie
08-29-2005, 01:41 AM
I wont be wearing a mullet but if other people want to do it, I could care less.

That's couldn't care less...

Back to the discussion on the merits of out-of-style haircuts and promotions thereof...

SMO
:D:

SOXintheBURGH
08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
I agree with the man in Pittsburgh. First of all mullet websites and the like were semi-funny back in the late 1990's. I wont be wearing a mullet but if other people want to do it, I could care less. The other reason that this is a bit goofy is that according to fashionistas the mullet is making a comeback. Not that I am a fashionista, in fact I'm more of a socks and sandsl type of guy.

Yeah exactly.. I remember that all coming out and being funny when I was in high school.. I graduated high school in 2000. :(:

Sad
08-29-2005, 09:31 AM
it's just hair... how 'bout a reverse-mohawk night? :redneck

Uncle_Patrick
08-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I think Mullet Night is pretty harmless. Yes, some loser Cubs fans stereotype Sox fans as tattoo covered, mullet sporting trailer trash, but who cares what they think? Its not exactly the hippest idea, but I'm sure it'll be a fun night. I don't have a problem with it.

Hangar18
08-29-2005, 10:57 AM
I thought about this long and hard, and at first, I thought my goodness the media stereotypes will surely become gospel now. But I like this ...........
Its a SLAP IN THE MEDIA FACE, I'll be there, mullet and all :D:

Railsplitter
08-29-2005, 11:03 AM
As some body whose neck get overheated when his hair gets two inches below the earlobes, I see no reason for encouraging mullets

StockdaleForVeep
08-29-2005, 11:46 AM
http://www.oddballstudios.com/summerschool/images/willis.jpg
"CUT DA MUUUULLLETT!"

Pulaski
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM

August 01, 2005

Attack of the Mullets!

Many of you out there reading this may not want to believe this but...Mullets are back!!!! Oh yes, business in the front, party in the back, who could ask for a better, or less flattering, haircut? Even David Beckham is sporting one these days, and even he looks slightly ridiculous. If you are planning a trip to Europe in the near future or if you are already over here do not make the mistake of getting one of these haircuts, in a misguided attempt at becoming euro-trendy. Not only will it take years to properly grow out the disaster atop your head but you will never, and i mean never, live it down. So enjoy giggling at the silly Europeans and for once soak in the glory of NOT being trendy.

chitownhawkfan
08-29-2005, 01:12 PM
http://www.oddballstudios.com/summerschool/images/willis.jpg
"CUT DA MUUUULLLETT!"

:rolling: Great reference! RIP Wesley

nlentz88
08-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I dig the crazy promotions at the Cell. Obviously, it would be great if we could fill the park every night of every season based on the performance of the club, but that's just not going to happen. Promo nights are thought up well in advance of the season when nobody can predict if team success will be enough to put butts into seats. So if the organization feels that Elvis, Beatles, dogs, and mullets will sell more tickets, increase team revenue, and create more Sox fans, then I'm all for such promos.

As for mullets in particular, I think the Sox could do better. As many have already mentioned, mullets as comedy have already peaked. Anyone remember how long the TV show "Meet the Mullets" lasted? Anyone even remember such a show existing?

And yeah, it does kinda play into the false image across the country about the constituency of Sox fans. I mean, you don't see the Cubs promoting "Drunk Frat Boy Night" or "Piss in the Sink Night."

mr_genius
08-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Yeah exactly.. I remember that all coming out and being funny when I was in high school.. I graduated high school in 2000. :(:

whatever, we were laughin at mullets in 92'

lol

Hangar18
08-29-2005, 04:34 PM

Elvis is nite is Excellent, and many teams in the MLB have copied.
Dog Day is Excellent, and many teams have also copied this.
SLeepover Nite is excellent and many teams have copied this.

1/2way to StPats Day is an Excellent Idea, and you watch how fast teams
will jump to copy this idea too (Cubs)

I think Mullet nite is dumb enough to be popular anyway .......:smile:

silenceofthehawk
08-29-2005, 05:54 PM
But at least YOU don't stereotype people.
Yeah, no kidding.

Frankfan4life
08-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Uh...'scuse me. One of the top hairstyles for blacks in the 1980's was a mullet-style called the "Jheri (pronounced Jerry) Curl". It was a style named after the maker of the chemical (Jheri Redding) often sprayed in black people's hair (mostly men, but women wore them very occasionally) known as either "Jheri Curl Juice", or the more commonly-known term, "curl activator".

If you click here, you might learn something about black culture and a pretty interesting hairstyle... (http://www.answers.com/topic/jheri-curl)

In reality, sometimes it was worn like a mullet, and sometimes it wasn't. But no matter what, every time a black man put his head on a pillow or headrest, he would leave an unmistakable impression on it with the wetness of all the activator he sprayed in his hair in order to keep his "curl" from drying out. It was an 80's staple in black culture...wouldn't bother me one bit if this was somehow added into the mix along with mullet night.

BTW...I think Mullet Night is a great idea. Maybe I ought to write Brooks about a Jheri Curl Night or a combination of the two.

Here's something to think about...if you're not quite sure what I talking about as far as the "pillow" or "headrest" thing, check out the 1988 Eddie Murphy comedy, "Coming To America". Murphy plays an African prince who comes to Queens, New York in search of true love after denouncing an arranged marriage. Anyway, one of the characters in the film is Darrel Jenks, played by "ER" star Eriq LaSalle. Darrel plays the boyfriend of the woman Murphy is pursuing, and he's really into the Jheri Curl thing. Jenks is the pitchman for a product called "Soul Glo", a curl activator, and if you watch the "commercial" in the film, you'll see the whole curl thing in plain view...and it's a riot!!!!!

Jheri Curl night? I don't think we should encourage that trend. Anyway, I never considered a Jheri Curl a mullet even though it could be styled that way, but it often wasn't. How about, Afro night? That might be interesting.
http://images.picsearch.com/is?2591438558620
P.S. I know all about black culture and a great deal about the black history. There's nothing like living it.

Uh, you're excused.

Frankfan4life
08-29-2005, 06:31 PM
You forgot Vampire in Brooklyn:
http://www.xi-online.nl/i/archief/vampir96.jpgDon't forget the late, great
http://www.musicmatic.de/W/WhiteBa1a.jpgThanks for the great examples of blacks wearing mullets. It seems like the mullett is a pretty popular hairstyle after all. :o:

I_Liked_Manuel
08-29-2005, 09:01 PM

i agree with most of what you said, but as hawk would say.............

:hawk " I looooooooooooove mullets"

and so does this guy-
:yankeessuck

Stroker Ace
08-29-2005, 09:30 PM
In response to the original question: I'm completely indifferent.Same here. I don't care either way.

ode to veeck
08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
My 12" long ponytail disagrees with you.

a technical question, is a ponytail a mullet?

on the surface, I think not, its a totally different thing, but then the often used mullet descriptor, "biz in front, party in back" could be used to call a ponytail a mullet. Got's to be a problem with the descriptor.

LVSoxFan
08-30-2005, 12:43 PM
The comment I get from everybody when I mention mullet night is: "I thought every night was mullet night there!" LOL.

Yeah, it's a stereotype, but I'd rather see them embrace it and have a laugh about it then get all defensive about it. I personally think the promotions are hilarious--the Elvis night, the Beatles stuff, the Mullet Night. People have fun with it.

The Halfway to St. Pat's Day sounds good on paper but what it really means is you've got about 1,000 people standing on the concourse smoking and drinking, not paying attention at all to the game. Oh well.

Can't wait to see Hawk and DJ in their mullets.