PDA

View Full Version : who do you want to win the wild card??

whitesox_1
08-28-2005, 02:48 PM
right at this moment the yankees and the A's are tied for the wild card lead, and the indians are 1 game behend them. who do you want to win? right now im rooting for the indians even know their in our division. i wouldn't want to play the yankees in october and we always have our trouble in oakland..

Konerkoholic
08-28-2005, 03:03 PM
The last four teams to eliminate the Yankees from the playoffs won the World Series: Boston '04, Florida '03, Anaheim' 02, Arizona '01. Oakland dominates us, And Cleveland making it probably means Boston faces us in the first round. So I'll go with the Yankees.

mantis1212
08-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Cleveland or New York are definitely my top two choices. I'd like the wildcard to come out of the Central for once to get some respect for the division.

But on the other hand, I would love for the Sox to beat New York AND Boston on the road to the World Series. At least then we know the games will be played at night, as opposed during the work day like 2000:mad:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2005, 03:09 PM
I fear NO one.

:rolleyes:

Whitesox4ever
08-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I think the Angels will get the wildcard spot

iamkoza
08-28-2005, 03:12 PM
the royals, tampa bay would be a good matchup too

Soxzilla
08-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I personally think, whether or not the Yankees or Indians win the Wild Card, we will play the Yankees in the first round.

Boston's pitching is so thin it's unbelievable. That already slim lead they have against New York will crumble, and with it, so will their playoff chances.

I'm betting it will be...

Chicago vs.
New York

and

Anaheim vs.
Cleveland

In the first round...

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Don't sell the Yankees short. They've struggled all season getting their pitchers healthy, but come September, they'll have everyone healthy and, just as importantly, rested. The Yankees will make the playoffs, and if I were the Red Sox, I wouldn't be too comfortable with that 1.5 game lead.

FielderJones
08-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Yankmees would be best. Beating the darlings of ESPN in prime time would be sweet.

munchman33
08-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Cleveland. I'd rather play the Angels in the first round than the Yankees or Athletics.

And who knows. Maybe Cleveland gets passed Boston. That would rock, because I'd much rather face them in the ALCS.

Dan H
08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't care about that right now. First things first. Clinch the division, clinch home field advantage. Then we can speculate on playoff opposition.

fquaye149
08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
i want the white sox to win the WC. After all our 8 game lead is shrinking...

Palehose13
08-28-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm fine with anyone but Oakland, but it would be sweet to beat them in the first round just cause they have owned the Sox all year.

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Cleveland simply to get the divison some respect...

DumpJerry
08-28-2005, 06:53 PM
Yankees, Yankees, Yankees, Yankees.

If we play anyone else (most likely the Angels), the ALDS will be a third tier story in the media and after we win the World Series, everyone will say we did it the easy way because we did not play the Yanks and Red Sox.
If we get the Yanks, the Red Sox will take care of the Angels and we will dispatch the Red Sox, thus earning the opportunity to see Gammons and all others who disrespect the Real Sox choke on their own (stuff).:smile:

Oh, did I say I prefer the Yankees?

SOXandILLINI
08-28-2005, 08:32 PM
come on....can you imagine a post season seies between our beloved palehose and the most historic franchise in any sport ever. i get goose bumps just thinking about it.....bring it on. I'll be there.

SOXandILLINI
08-28-2005, 08:35 PM
by the way people you cant play someone in your own division in the alds, unless they changed that rule, which i don't think they did, so forget about the tribe.

Jerome
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
The A's are my favorite team other than the Sox, so I can't really root against them. All I want is for the Indians to lose, so we don't end up possibly facing the Red Sox.

Lip Man 1
08-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Assuming the Sox remain the top seed I'll take my chances on anyone but the A's in a best of five first round.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Assuming the Sox remain the top seed I'll take my chances on anyone but the A's in a best of five first round.

LipI'd LOVE to draw the A's in the first round just so we can kick this "Sox can't beat the A's" BS to the curb.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2005, 10:00 PM
I'd LOVE to draw the A's in the first round just so we can kick this "Sox can't beat the A's" BS to the curb.

Bingo. Sign me up for the A's, too. **** that team. They aren't ruining the greatest Sox season in my lifetime or anyone else's lifetime.

The '85 Bears wanted the Dolphins and any REAL Sox Fan wants the '05 Athletics served up as sacrificial lambs to our Sox, too. We fear NOBODY.

I'm betting the A's punk out and end their season before the Sox get to exact the ultimate revenge on those pigs.

:cool:

chisoxfanatic
08-28-2005, 10:56 PM
by the way people you cant play someone in your own division in the alds, unless they changed that rule, which i don't think they did, so forget about the tribe.

This thread is titled "Who do you want to win the wild card???" not "Who do you want to face in the first round???"

Lip Man 1
08-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Given that the Sox are one of only (I think) three teams to actually have the lead over the Yankees at Yankee Stadium since 2000, there's your answer. (As opposed to what happens when the Sox go to Oakland...)

Lip

chisoxmike
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Geez, the possiblites are endless...

Yankees- Need I say more... beating them in a playoff series would be amazing.

Red Sox- God I would love to see ESPN make excuses for this one, and, all the Cubs fans that will break out their Red Sox stuff since the 04 Series.

A's- Beating them in a postseason series would right all the ****ty play in Oakland the past 4 years.

Indians- Eh, it would have to wait until the ALCS if it did happen.

This is all assuming the Sox can rise up and overcome.:wink:

brewcrew/chisox
08-28-2005, 11:07 PM
The Brewers :smile:

SOXandILLINI
08-28-2005, 11:13 PM
fanatic, it was my impression by some responses early in the thread some people thought we would automatically play the wildcard team, assuming we keep the best record in the al. if i was mistaken, my sincere apologies.

whitesox_1
08-28-2005, 11:33 PM

If we play anyone else (most likely the Angels), the ALDS will be a third tier story in the media and after we win the World Series, everyone will say we did it the easy way because we did not play the Yanks and Red Sox.
If we get the Yanks, the Red Sox will take care of the Angels and we will dispatch the Red Sox, thus earning the opportunity to see Gammons and all others who disrespect the Real Sox choke on their own (stuff).:smile:

i dont care about what people have to say as long as we have a world series ring before the flubs get theres..

Foulke You
08-29-2005, 12:28 AM

Yep, bring on New York. I want the Sox in night game prime time TV with all eyes on the South Side. Besides, we play a hell of a lot better in Yankee Stadium than we do on the West Coast. To be the best, you got to knock out the best teams. The New York Yankees symbolize the pinnacle of excellence in Major League Baseball. The road to the 2005 World Series should start with a battle vs the Evil Empire.

However, I must concur with Dan H on this. Let's clinch first and then revisit this thread.:cool:

DumpJerry
08-29-2005, 12:41 AM

i dont care about what people have to say as long as we have a world series ring before the flubs get theres..
Hey WS1, flattery is wonderful, but you should explore the "Quote" button.:smile:

HotelWhiteSox
08-29-2005, 01:19 AM
I wouldn't mind facing Yankees, Oakland, or Anaheim, but I don't want to see Boston (pitching or not, that lineup makes my pants stained, stop the lineup comparisons Hawk!), here's hoping that they don't even make it! :gulp:

As far as who actually wins it, maybe Cleveland, because the Wild Card team will get in by being hot at the end of the season, and they might take that steam to the 1st round, not guaranteed, but I don't want to face the Wild Card as much as a divisional winner in the first round (they'll have similar records anyways) just because of that underdog mentality

Mainly though, I don't really care, I agree with 'bring it on'. Do you deserve to win it all if you can't beat other teams? And it's not like anyone will be a pushover, it's the playoffs, there's a reason the team is there

SOXfnNlansing
08-29-2005, 02:35 AM
LAA vs SOX and NY vs Oak AL 1st round NY vs STL SD vs ATL NL 1st round

bendavisforpres
08-29-2005, 02:41 AM
listen- getting 6 runs of Randy johnson in the reg season is one thing but with our off, its not realistic to expect to score more than two runs in either game (games 1, and either 4 or 5), and can we really expect our pitchers to shut down the yankees in october? ill take our chances with any team but the yanks- though it be incredible to stick it in their faces.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-29-2005, 02:47 AM
The '85 Bears wanted the Dolphins and any REAL Sox Fan wants the '05 Athletics served up as sacrificial lambs to our Sox, too. We fear NOBODY.
Part of me really wants to put on a brave face and say, "Bring on the A's! We'll finally show them who's boss when it really matters!"

But our problems with that team have now transcended bugaboo status - something very bizarre happens to the Sox when they play Oakland. It's got nothing to do with curses, but I do think it has become a legitimate psychological stumbling block. And just when I think we're due, we get swept at home! No team over the last few years has owned the Sox as completely as the A's.

I'm sorry, but if Oakland takes the Wild Card, I think we'd be looking at 2000 all over again. Not necessarily in the final result (I hope), but in everything leading up to it: Sox have 2nd best record in the majors, but begin the first round as the odds-makers' underdog to the WC team. I was really pissed back then when I heard that, and doubly-pissed when the Sox went and proved them all right. There wouldn't be a single media "expert" who would give the Sox the edge in an ALDS against the A's. But then, around here we don't care what the mediots think. And there aren't six threads started daily about this writer or that sportscaster disrespecting the Sox.

Give me Anaheim/LA, give me NY, even Boston; a World Series won't be any less sweet without a chance for "redemption" against Oakland. I don't recall seeing an asterisk next to the '85 Super Bowl Bears that reads, "Beat everybody EXCEPT THE DOLPHINS."

SSN721
08-29-2005, 07:45 AM
It might not be the most logical but I still want the Jndiands to win the WC, just for some Central respectability. The other reason I feel this is that I feel the Sox should be able to beat anyone they face in the playoffs if they worthy to win the World Series, Oakland, Boston and NY would be rough but you gotta beat the best to be the best.

Madvora
08-29-2005, 08:32 AM
It might not be the most logical but I still want the Jndiands to win the WC, just for some Central respectability. The other reason I feel this is that I feel the Sox should be able to beat anyone they face in the playoffs if they worthy to win the World Series, Oakland, Boston and NY would be rough but you gotta beat the best to be the best.
I'd like the Indians in there too. Hey if they win the wild card over the Yankees and A's, then they are the best team of those three. We have shown that we can handle Cleveland this year and I'm all for continuing that in the playoffs.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-29-2005, 10:03 AM
What exactly are the rules to determine who plays whom in the ALDS? I cannot find them on MLB's site.

Madvora
08-29-2005, 10:07 AM
What exactly are the rules to determine who plays whom in the ALDS? I cannot find them on MLB's site.
The team with the best record plays the wildcard team, unless they are in the same division. If they are, then the wild card team plays the next best team.

KyWhiSoxFan
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
The team with the best record plays the wildcard team, unless they are in the same division. If they are, then the wild card team plays the next best team.

Thanks.
I'm not sure who I want to play, but I'll play anyone. It means we're in the playoffs and I'll take our chances from there.

TDog
08-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't care who gets the wild card as long as the Sox win their division. Cheering for the Sox is where I prefer to focus my sports energy. Not that I can influence the outcome of the season.

I wanted to see the Mariners beat out the Indians in 2000. Did anyone notice how that worked out?

Hangar18
08-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Yankmees would be best. Beating the darlings of ESPN in prime time would be sweet.

Yes, because the Eastcoast Sports and Propaganda Network would be FORCED to televise the White Sox in Primetime, unlike in 2000 (when we had the best record in baseball and were relegated to 3pm starts, and I missed every one of those games)

Palehose13
08-29-2005, 12:13 PM
I wanted to see the Mariners beat out the Indians in 2000. Did anyone notice how that worked out?

Not a clue. :wink:

Hangar18
08-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Hmmmmmmm. Im sensing a lot of darkcloud-ish sentiments in this thread.
To be sure, I agree. This offense cannot go into the playoffs playing like
they did yesterday, or like they did during that losing streak, or even playing like they have all season. Funny things do happen once the Playoffs start .... During our losing streak last week, I saw a stat (yes, it was broadcast on live tv) and it said our Batting Average/Runs Scored was the same, but it was our pitching that was 5.87 for an era, which wasnt good.

Our pitching really does hold the key here .......if we give up 4 runs in the 1st inning, were done in the playoffs. That said, id love if the Yankees
were the Wild Card team ........