PDA

View Full Version : Parking on Sacred Ground-it must stop!

DumpJerry
08-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Lately, there has been a highly disturbing trend going on in Lot B. People are parking on the Home Plate area (inside the circle around the Plate) and setting up tailgate parties with tents, etc. within two feet of Home Plate. This is an abomination!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I always, always, pay homage to Old Home Plate before heading into the game and many others also visit it before games to show it to their kids, take pictures, etc. How is it that Sox parking employees are now allowing people to park there? This area is NOT striped for parking.

Does anyone here know the parking supervisors well enough to make some noise about this? I first noticed it at one of the Crosstown Classic games and now it seems to be present at every game this month.......

Old Home Plate is for all us!

skobabe8
08-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Lately, there has been a highly disturbing trend going on in Lot B. People are parking on the Home Plate area (inside the circle around the Plate) and setting up tailgate parties with tents, etc. within two feet of Home Plate. This is an abomination!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: I always, always, pay homage to Old Home Plate before heading into the game and many others also visit it before games to show it to their kids, take pictures, etc. How is it that Sox parking employees are now allowing people to park there? This area is NOT striped for parking.

Does anyone here know the parking supervisors well enough to make some noise about this? I first noticed it at one of the Crosstown Classic games and now it seems to be present at every game this month.......

Old Home Plate is for all us!

I noticed it too, DJ. When I was there for the 8/2 game people were parking up onto the sidewalk all around home plate. No one was on it, but cars were all around it. That needs to stop.

jeremydavid
08-28-2005, 03:18 PM
One game when I was walking in I saw some small kid losing his lunch right next to home plate. His dad was standing there "comforting" him giving me a sour look for staring. Please, it's home plate man! Get a clue! I couldn't believe it..

NSSoxFan
08-28-2005, 03:22 PM
The whole concept of a parking lot on the site of Old Comiskey is where this argument begins and ends. What makes it alright to park, in oh let's say, left field but not home plate? The Sox should have and still should make a bigger effort to remember the old stadium, not just putting homeplate and calling it a day.

ZachAL
08-28-2005, 03:25 PM
The whole concept of a parking lot on the site of Old Comiskey is where this argument begins and ends. What makes it alright to park, in oh let's say, left field but not home plate? The Sox should have and still should make a bigger effort to remember the old stadium, not just putting homeplate and calling it a day.

yeah agreed atlanta does something really cool with the foundation from the old stadium, although it is a parking lot they left up the foundation wall from the outfield and have a small tribute to where I believe Hank Aaron hit his final HR, or else its where he broke the record.

NSSoxFan
08-28-2005, 03:30 PM
yeah agreed atlanta does something really cool with the foundation from the old stadium, although it is a parking lot they left up the foundation wall from the outfield and have a small tribute to where I believe Hank Aaron hit his final HR, or else its where he broke the record.

There are so many possibilites of what could be done. I know I would love it if the Sox built a 'White Sox Museum & Hall of Fame' that would either take up the whole existing parking lot or at least half of it. Not only would it be a place to go before or after a game, but it do justice to the history of the Sox.

Hitmen77
08-28-2005, 03:34 PM
One game when I was walking in I saw some small kid losing his lunch right next to home plate. His dad was standing there "comforting" him giving me a sour look for staring. Please, it's home plate man! Get a clue! I couldn't believe it..

Oh gimme a break! What's the poor guy supposed to do if his kid gets sick. I don't blame him for giving you a sour look for staring. I'd be pretty ticked off if some jerk was staring at me while my kid was throwing up. That guy's obviously a terrible parent. What kind of namby-pamby Cub fan crap is this "comforting your kid" crap when they are sick. If that were my kid, i'd be yelling at him for having the nerve to get sick on "sacred ground" and then when we got home, i'd kick his ass to teach him a lesson about respecting the Sox! That's what a REAL Sox fan would do! His kid must obviously be a Cub fan because he cannot control when he gets sick. You know what, I think the Sox would be better off without letting kids in the games because they'll just do things like throw up and do other annoying things. Let's send an e-mail to Brooks with this suggestion!

I agree that the Sox should do something better with the old home plate area, but let's get some perspective on things people!

Tekijawa
08-28-2005, 03:50 PM
I like the Idea of a Hall of fame that takes up the entire lot!!! I wouldn't know what to do with myself in 500,000 sq ft of White Sox History... With all that room they'd be able to display the bals fom Shawn Abner's 27-56 hits, Mike Huff's game worn contacts from his entire career here, and Ken Vining's sack of baseballs from the day he threw 87 pitches in the bullpen... Along with the more important historical artifacts.

OK maybe you shouldn't park on top of home plate but it is a parking lot folks...

UofCSoxFan
08-28-2005, 04:23 PM
There is a freaking mall built where the Twins used to play before moving to the Humpty Dump. In case people don't realize this, there is a limited amount of land available in Chicago. They were supposed to leave the entire lot open?

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
It would be nice to see them do SOMETHING - pseudo rebuild the gate area or something, but I'd rather be able to park and pay respects then be stuck walking 9 blocks.

Maybe, could it be in the works when they have to re-do ramps in the future?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2005, 04:29 PM
There is a freaking mall built where the Twins used to play before moving to the Humpty Dump. In case people don't realize this, there is a limited amount of land available in Chicago. They were supposed to leave the entire lot open?

A small public park would have been nice, don't you think?

Or what about a monument where homeplate used to be, you know... something that you can't park your Buick on top of?

Gimme a break...

Oh, and for the record, even that "freaking mall" in Minnenoplace has a spot dedicated to the memory of the old erector set pile of **** known as Metropolitan Stadium, former home to the Twins that never contained even one-tenth the history of Old Comiskey Park.

Sheesh...

DumpJerry
08-28-2005, 05:08 PM
A small public park would have been nice, don't you think?

Or what about a monument where homeplate used to be, you know... something that you can't park your Buick on top of?

Gimme a break...

Oh, and for the record, even that "freaking mall" in Minnenoplace has a spot dedicated to the memory of the old erector set pile of **** known as Metropolitan Stadium, former home to the Twins that never contained even one-tenth the history of Old Comiskey Park.

Sheesh...
Well, the sign admonishing us we cannot resell tickets is still on the tree outside the gate I used to go to when I was a kid on 35th.

Regarding the Met Stadium, you have to remember the Twinks did not arrive in Minnesota until (I think) 1961 from Washington (they were the original Senators). That is slightly more than 20 years before they tore down the Met. Much less history than Comiskey which hosted the Good Guys for 80 years.

BainesHOF
08-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Oh gimme a break! What's the poor guy supposed to do if his kid gets sick

This is the big leagues. If you can't play with the big dogs, go home. And if you have to puke, puke away from the home plate of Old Comiskey Park. That's actually Grinder Rule No. 103.

JimH
08-29-2005, 07:42 AM

Sheesh...

It's kind of humorous what they have . As mentioned, the Mall of America occupies the former site of Metropolitan Stadium. Most of the ground floor is an amusement park in the Mall, called Camp Snoopy. On one of the pathways between a roller coaster and a carousel, there it is ... a bronze home plate placque which says something like, "Home Plate - Metropolitan Stadium, 1956-1981" (the park had been built a few years before the Senators moved from Washington).

Also, completely on the other side of Camp Snoopy, a few hundred feet up on the wall, there's an orange stadium seat mounted, all by itself, into the concrete. That was the chair that one of Harmon Killebrew's longest HR balls hit, in the upper reaches of the LF upper seating area. They used to paint a couple of seats orange to commemorate long HR's hit by Killebrew and maybe a few others.

Standing there at home plate and looking way over at that orange chair, it's tough to imagine a ballpark, amidst what is now an indoor amusement park and shopping mall.

Letmehearya
08-29-2005, 08:32 AM
There are so many possibilites of what could be done. I know I would love it if the Sox built a 'White Sox Museum & Hall of Fame' that would either take up the whole existing parking lot or at least half of it. Not only would it be a place to go before or after a game, but it do justice to the history of the Sox.
Love the idea with one addition ......

a large restaurant bar full of the most incredible sports memorabilia and pictures called MCCUDDY'S! It would be a cash cow, a year-round place for the new southside residents, a gathering place for Sox fans and it would be making good on a promise to Sox fans in 1988 by Gov. Thompson and JR.

34 Inch Stick
08-29-2005, 09:20 AM
This is the big leagues. If you can't play with the big dogs, go home. And if you have to puke, puke away from the home plate of Old Comiskey Park. That's actually Grinder Rule No. 103.

If you remeber the old stadium you will recall the number of people that puked on the stadium. I would consider it an appropriate act of memorial similar to people pouring Jack on Jim Morrison's grave.

Steelrod
08-29-2005, 10:15 AM
I think the placement of home plate is reminder enough. This is not the World Trade Center!
I'm more upset that there isn't a monument in left field lower deck, at the spot where the Babe went drinking at McCuddy's!

steff
08-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Am I the only person who finds this thread silly...

samram
08-29-2005, 10:24 AM

No.

rdwj
08-29-2005, 10:28 AM

I'm right with ya

TDog
08-29-2005, 10:38 AM

And it completely ignores the fact that home plate was moved several times while the old ballpark was in use.

voodoochile
08-29-2005, 11:54 AM
Love the idea with one addition ......

a large restaurant bar full of the most incredible sports memorabilia and pictures called MCCUDDY'S! It would be a cash cow, a year-round place for the new southside residents, a gathering place for Sox fans and it would be making good on a promise to Sox fans in 1988 by Gov. Thompson and JR.

That should be on the first floor. Then they should have a few levels of shopping and then some high rise apartments up to about 30-50 floors in the air. The view from the south facing windows would include the inside of the ballpark. Rooftop shmooftop - this would quickly become some of the hottest property in the city and would end once and for all the perception that the southside is poor and downtrodden...

Brian26
08-29-2005, 12:12 PM

Not at all. It's human nature for people to park cars in a parking lot. I understand the sentiment behind the original post, but it's just not worth worrying about.

DumpJerry
08-29-2005, 05:21 PM
And it completely ignores the fact that home plate was moved several times while the old ballpark was in use.
IIRC, it was moved once in response to the Yanks' Murderers Row and then moved back after about 10 years.

peeonwrigley
08-29-2005, 05:37 PM
That should be on the first floor. Then they should have a few levels of shopping and then some high rise apartments up to about 30-50 floors in the air. The view from the south facing windows would include the inside of the ballpark. Rooftop shmooftop - this would quickly become some of the hottest property in the city and would end once and for all the perception that the southside is poor and downtrodden...

I love the idea of a year-round Sox themed bar/restaurant/museum taking over one of the lots, I don't care which one. If run correctly it would generate a ton of money for the team. More than enough money to purchase more land either on-site or off-site to replace the lost parking. It would also be a cool place to go before or after the game on days when its too hot to tailgate comfortably. Or, if you're like me and take the El, it'd be a nice place to chill before the game and head to after the game to wait for the crowds to thin out.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-29-2005, 06:41 PM

i agree with you here steff. i miss old comiskey as much as any sox fan believe me, but it's gone guys.

It's not like old home plate is a civil war battlefield, i'd park there in a heartbeat...except lot g is $8!!!