PDA

View Full Version : Does it have to be said?

voodoochile
08-28-2005, 03:07 AM
9-7 4.07 ERA.

The W/L numbers may not be perfect, but the ERA is impeccible for at best a number 4 starter.

I mean how many of you would have jumping up and down with joy if I told you in March that the 4th Sox starters would have an ERA in the area of 4 and that all the rest would be better?

Team ERA is 3.58 at present - IN THE AL!!!

What wins championships? DEFENSE! We spell that P-I-T-C-H-I-N-G round these parts...

ilsox7
08-28-2005, 03:09 AM
The best part is he has been AWESOME his last 5 starts. If he continues this thru September, then our playoff rotation becomes very, very interesting. Jose's stuff on a chilly night in October? That just ain't fair.

FarWestChicago
08-28-2005, 03:19 AM
:contreras:

I own the Skanks.

santo=dorf
08-28-2005, 03:25 AM
2 consecutive outings with no walks allowed.:cool:

Flight #24
08-28-2005, 03:48 AM
Here's an interesting tidbit:

Matt Clement: 11W / 126K / 4.35ERA / 1.31WHIP
Odalis Perez(NL): 7W / 70K / 4,74ERA 1.29WHIP
Derek Lowe (NL): 8W / 115K / 4.11ERA / 1.33WHIP
Carl Pavano: 4W / 56K / 4.77ERA / 1.47WHIP
Jaret Wright: 4W / 25K / 6.4ERA / 1.77WHIP:o:
Jose Contreras: 9W / 119K / 4.07ERA / 1.30WHIP

The big difference, instead of signing one of the other guys at $8mil or more/yr, KW traded the immortal Esteban Loaiza for Jose at $6mil/yr....

Here's to you, KW!:gulp:

Vernam
08-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Amidst all the recent doom and gloom, the performances by Jose and El Duque gave me a lot of hope. They've been pitching so well, without much to show for it at times. When Hernandez took the mound on Friday, the pre-game reports were all saying, "He's lost his last three decisions," which was lazy and implied he hasn't pitched well. They've both looked close to dominant. And let's not forget Freddy, for that matter. :gulp:

With Jose, you'll never see clearer proof that avoiding walks is the key for any pitcher's success. The fastballs he kept pouring in against Sexton in that key inning were amazing to watch -- all barely knee high and running down. Practically nobody hits those, even when they know what's coming. Kudos to AJ or Ozzie, whoever kept calling for 'em.

VC

DumpJerry
08-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Voodoo, in respose to your question, it does have to be said because such glorious information would not be shouted from the tree-tops by the local media who is preparing to sit shiva (mourning period) over the Flubs' season..........

CallMeNuts
08-28-2005, 09:48 AM
I'd use a 5-man rotation in the playoffs. Today, it would be hard for me to decide who I'd rather have pitch the big game. On there throw days, the starters would be available in the pen. Conventional wisdom says that letting the 5th-man start takes a start away from one of the other guys. But the way they are pitching now, I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between 1 and 5.

bludupree
08-28-2005, 10:19 AM
I'd use a 5-man rotation in the playoffs. Today, it would be hard for me to decide who I'd rather have pitch the big game. On there throw days, the starters would be available in the pen. Conventional wisdom says that letting the 5th-man start takes a start away from one of the other guys. But the way they are pitching now, I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between 1 and 5.

True, but if it doesn't matter 1-5 it would be nice to have one of them that could come out of the pen and pitch well.

SOXSINCE'70
08-28-2005, 10:26 AM
:contreras:

I own the Skanks.

:elduque:

"And I won 3 WS rings with them.My sole reason for signing with
the Sox can be spelled P-O-S-T-S-E-A-S-O-N P-L-A-Y."

CallMeNuts
08-28-2005, 10:33 AM
True, but if it doesn't matter 1-5 it would be nice to have one of them that could come out of the pen and pitch well.

That's the logical move, and I sure thought that Contreras was headed to the pen. I even thought that BMac should replace Contreras in the rotation in September so that Contreras could start to adjust to a new role prior to the post-season. But Contreras has finally figured out how to be a reliable starter. I don't want to mess with his mind by making him adjust to a new role. I'm not sure which, if any, of the 5 guys would be best suited to a role change. My suggestion is to not mess with what's working and to stick with a 5-man rotation through October.

A.T. Money
08-28-2005, 10:41 AM
If Contreras pitches like this until the end and Garcia has starts that even remotely resemble the 1 hitter, we're going to be too tough to overtake. Having said that....Go Indians and or Yankees (no Oakland).

DaveIsHere
08-28-2005, 10:46 AM
2 consecutive outings with no walks allowed.:cool:

That is what has been realy impressive, hope he keeps it up. We are seeing the "other" side of Jose and I like it.

TomBradley72
08-28-2005, 10:59 AM
Jose is a guy that is easy to root for....especially when you consider what he went through on the personal side (ie. getting out of Cuba). The WSox pitching gets more and more impressive every week. How many "bad days" has our pitching had all year? (ie. starter pounded early, 10+ runs allowed overall, huge blown save (3+ runs))....seems like you can count those days in the single digits.

When I see the Tribe allowing 10 runs to the DRays, the Red Sox recent blow ups, Oaklands slump.....confidence is building for the post season.

voodoochile
08-28-2005, 01:50 PM
That's the logical move, and I sure thought that Contreras was headed to the pen. I even thought that BMac should replace Contreras in the rotation in September so that Contreras could start to adjust to a new role prior to the post-season. But Contreras has finally figured out how to be a reliable starter. I don't want to mess with his mind by making him adjust to a new role. I'm not sure which, if any, of the 5 guys would be best suited to a role change. My suggestion is to not mess with what's working and to stick with a 5-man rotation through October.

Having either of those guys in the bullpen is going to make the Sox staff easily as strong as any other in the post season. The arrival of Jenks and Cotts this season has just been the icing on the cake.

I honestly think Ozzie is doing the right thing using Marte a lot now too because like it or not, they have the room to play with and Marte has the stuff to be a huge force in the post season if he can find his rhythm again.

Jurr
08-28-2005, 05:13 PM
25 wins from the 4th and 5th spots? Are you kidding me? For some of the newbies to the site or to hard core Chisox fandom, check the last few years and see what kind of production we've been getting out of those spots. It doesn't take a genius to see why we're doing so damn well.