PDA

View Full Version : The Rotation-rate the last five outings

hawkjt
08-27-2005, 11:30 AM
I cannot remember the whole five guys having outings like this past week-ever.Ironically I have to rate Freddys (the only loser) #1.

Freddy- whatta say. almost a no-no
Burls- huge game for the team
Garland- 0 earned in 8innings!
Jose-even bigger game for the team.
El Duque- who was awesome last nite. He really looks totally revived from his stint on the DL. It is exactly the scenario I had hoped for with him. Nurse him thru the regular season and have him strong for October.

What a wonderful dilemma Oz faces at playoff time. Who should go? Very tough choice right now.

kevingrt
08-27-2005, 11:51 AM
I cannot remember the whole five guys having outings like this past week-ever.Ironically I have to rate Freddys (the only loser) #1.

Freddy- whatta say. almost a no-no
Burls- huge game for the team
Garland- 0 earned in 8innings!
Jose-even bigger game for the team.
El Duque- who was awesome last nite. He really looks totally revived from his stint on the DL. It is exactly the scenario I had hoped for with him. Nurse him thru the regular season and have him strong for October.

What a wonderful dilemma Oz faces at playoff time. Who should go? Very tough choice right now.

I agree with you in every facet of your post. So true that our rotation is at about top form right now. Hopefully they will be this way when October comes.

Does anyone else think El Duque should get like a week off or something before the playoffs. Maybe not a trip to the DL but something so he gets a little time off and he can be revived for playoff season. I'd like to know your guy's thoughts on this.

MIgrenade
08-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anyone else think El Duque should get like a week off or something before the playoffs. Maybe not a trip to the DL but something so he gets a little time off and he can be revived for playoff season. I'd like to know your guy's thoughts on this.

No because he has been good all season when healthy so there is no need to worry. If he feels he needs the rest then do it, but if the Sox are getting this kind of production out of him then there is no reason to worry.

Ol' No. 2
08-27-2005, 12:40 PM
I agree with you in every facet of your post. So true that our rotation is at about top form right now. Hopefully they will be this way when October comes.

Does anyone else think El Duque should get like a week off or something before the playoffs. Maybe not a trip to the DL but something so he gets a little time off and he can be revived for playoff season. I'd like to know your guy's thoughts on this.Yes. I would have him skip a start or maybe two in September. He lasted about two months at the start of the season pitching every 5th game before he had problems. He's been back in the rotation for a month. Another month would bring him to the start of the playoffs. I want him healthy and strong in October. McCarthy can fill in for him a couple of times.

mcp5185
08-27-2005, 02:30 PM
But I feel if we give him some time off, he may not be as sharp when he returns. What about going to a six man rotation with Bmac and giving each guy an extra day off in between starts.

Ol' No. 2
08-27-2005, 03:28 PM
But I feel if we give him some time off, he may not be as sharp when he returns. What about going to a six man rotation with Bmac and giving each guy an extra day off in between starts.A six man rotation just makes everyone a little less sharp and reduces everybody's starts. I doubt skipping Hernandez once or twice will affect his sharpness as long as they're not consecutive. Once in early September and once toward the end.

CallMeNuts
08-28-2005, 10:21 AM
But I feel if we give him some time off, he may not be as sharp when he returns. What about going to a six man rotation with Bmac and giving each guy an extra day off in between starts.

Yes. I would have him skip a start or maybe two in September. He lasted about two months at the start of the season pitching every 5th game before he had problems. He's been back in the rotation for a month. Another month would bring him to the start of the playoffs. I want him healthy and strong in October. McCarthy can fill in for him a couple of times.

I think the best strategy is to piggy-back Hernandez, with McCarthy. Keep Hernandez on the 5 day rhythm, but give him a few starts where he will go no more than 5 innings.

Mohoney
08-28-2005, 11:54 AM
If we go to a 6 man, Garland might not get a shot at 20 wins, and that would be a shame.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 12:26 PM
If we go to a 6 man, Garland might not get a shot at 20 wins, and that would be a shame.

Not if we want to be able to afford him down the road.

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2005, 12:35 PM
If we go to a 6 man, Garland might not get a shot at 20 wins, and that would be a shame.Not gonna happen. Ozzie has already said he doesn't want to take starts away from Buehrle or Garland if it will effect they're in the running for the Cy Young. I'd assume it will apply if he's trying for 20 wins as well.

SoxSpeed22
08-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Not gonna happen. Ozzie has already said he doesn't want to take starts away from Buehrle or Garland if it will effect they're in the running for the Cy Young. I'd assume it will apply if he's trying for 20 wins as well.He just better not pull an Art Howe and start one of them on the last day of the season. (2002)

Ol' No. 2
08-28-2005, 12:42 PM
He just better not pull an Art How and start one of them on the last day of the season. (2002)Right now the rotation is set up to have the two Cubans starting the last two games of the season. I'm sure that's no accident. Ozzie just counted backwards to the All-Star break and set up his rotation from there. With an off day on Oct 3, Buehrle will be lined up to start on Oct 4 on normal rest.