PDA

View Full Version : I am boycotting ESPN for a little while

Mr. White Sox
08-27-2005, 04:17 AM
I turn to ESPN for highlights because that is the only competent sports station for highlights (I can't stand CSN sometimes). After the (literally) 15 second recap of tonight's game, that's enough. They showed Iguchi's homer, and that's it. Nothing on Felix, nothing on BA, nothing on El Duque. They spent 2 minutes talking about T.O. Bye bye ESPN, I'll see you in a week.

The Critic
08-27-2005, 07:44 AM
I still tune in to SportsCenter for other teams' highlights, but I stay local for Sox highlights.

mccoydp
08-27-2005, 08:52 AM
I tuned out Sportscenter weeks ago; ESPN stinks. To them, it's entertainment over sport.

C-Dawg
08-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Oh but they have the BEST Yankees and Red Sox coverage!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2005, 09:04 AM
These days cable/satellite TV could definitely use a sports network. ESPN and Fox are beyond pathetic. Theirs isn't sports programming; it's "entertainment" sports. Note that entertainment is in teal.

I get more straight sports coverage watching Fox Soccer Channel and Gol TV than attempting to watch Fox or ESPN. I can follow soccer, cricket, and rugby with fewer hassles than baseball, football, and basketball. How pathetic is that?

:o:

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2005, 09:08 AM
I tuned out Sportscenter weeks ago; ESPN stinks. To them, it's entertainment over sport.

ESPN-Entertainment SPorts Network.

Forget Brian Anderson homering off "Phenom Felix"
(or "King Felix").Doesn't matter.Hey,don't you know
THE YANKMEES WILL WIN IT ALL AGAIN!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously,I hate ESPN.:angry: :angry: :angry: Between 'Screamin' A.Smith
(i'd tell you what the A stands for,but this is a family site),
Jeff "they'll be cryin' in their beer in Chicago when the Twins
win the Central" Brantley,Chris "backbackbackbackback" Berman,
and the Sunday night football idiots,they've gone from being a
sports entertainment network to one where you're only allowed
one opinion;THEIRS,NOT YOUR OWN.:(: :(:

harwar
08-27-2005, 09:30 AM
'The Outside Life Network' is doing the NHL and they might be picking up the Wednesday & Sunday night games that espn is now doing.
Anything would be better than espn and fox.
If the red sox get knocked out of the post-season early for some reason you can bet that the NFL will take over,just like it appears to be taking over Chicago radio since the cubs are out of it.
Its very amusing listening to the espn commentators try and make a case for why the cubs are still not out of playoff contention.

whitesoxwin
08-27-2005, 09:54 AM
ESPN & Fox show little respect or even care what the White Sox are doing.
All they care about, when it comes to Chicago, are those idiots in the bleachers and on the roof tops, along with "Garcia--opps--ara" playing third base.
Big deal---and "Dust-me-off" Baker ASKED him to play 3rd....give me a break.
All the major networks, along with MLB, dread a White Sox champion, especially a home field advantage for the playoffs.
(Which all of you know will be day games, when at our place--as "primetime" is reserved for the so-called "premier teams"--somehow even though the Flubs are quickly spiraling down to the place they belong--they are considered a "premier team"--again, give me a break.)
Remember when Florida or Arizona won their playoffs and World Series, they didn't get any primetime exposure unless they were playing a "premier team"
I agree a boycott is fine with me.

jackbrohamer
08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
IMO SportsCenter is literally un-watchable. The only time I ever watch it is to see the scores scrolling at the bottom of the screen, usually with the sound thrued down.

hose
08-27-2005, 10:23 AM
I turned the radio on this morning and it was still tuned to AM1000 from last night's game. The host was somebody from Detroit talking about Terrell Owens so I turned it off.

Later in the morning I turn on the tv to ESPN Sports Center and they are giving the highlights of Terrell Owens and the Eagle game.....click to CSN. At least I got the highlights of the Sox game.

FarWestChicago
08-27-2005, 10:52 AM
I turn to ESPN for highlights because that is the only competent sports station for highlights...:?: <McEnroe>You can NOT be serious!!</McEnroe>

buehrle4cy05
08-27-2005, 11:26 AM
I will routinely just watch ESPN for the bottom line. That's the only unbiased/non-entertainment thing they have, although pretty soon, they'll find a way to screw that up, too.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2005, 11:49 AM
It's your choice whether you wish to watch such 'outstanding' programs and anchors as Stuart Scott, Stump The Schawm, the 'ultimate' highlight, Chris Berman, Stephen A. Smith, Kenny Mayne, 'Cheap Seats' and Mike Golic.

As for me I'd rather have a root canal or even watch the Cubs first.

The late Tom Mees, and professional anchors like George Grande, Keith Olbermann, Gayle Gardner and Greg Gumble are wondering what in the hell happened to that network.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
08-27-2005, 12:14 PM
It's your choice whether you wish to watch such 'outstanding' programs and anchors as Stuart Scott, Stump The Schawm, the 'ultimate' highlight, Chris Berman, Stephen A. Smith, Kenny Mayne, 'Cheap Seats' and Mike Golic.

As for me I'd rather have a root canal or even watch the Cubs first.

The late Tom Mees, and professional anchors like George Grande, Keith Olbermann, Gayle Gardner and Greg Gumble are wondering what in the hell happened to that network.

Lip

Serious teal is needed for that first sentence Lip.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-27-2005, 12:18 PM
The Spanish station Channel 60 has a highlight show at 10 everynight. Starts off with Soccer but they have good baseball and boxing highlights.

Channel 44 had a reply of the Bears game last night.

I hope one day the Spanish stations will be able to convert to English with the touch of a button - just like you can watch a baseball game or other program touching SAP on your remote - they should have the reverse for Spanish programing.

I won't purchase cable and give my money to companies like Disney (ESPN).

My baseball highlights come to me everyday on MLB.com. Better quality at a low cost.

pudge
08-27-2005, 12:42 PM
ESPN News is a much better source than SportsCenter. I don't know if most cable outlets carry it, I get it via DirecTv. SportsCenter spends more time promoting what's going to be on the show than actually showing highlights. I don't think I've watched more than a few seconds of the main ESPN channel in years.

Chicago83
08-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Do people really care about TO? Or is it just ESPN's sick love obsession, I really don't understand.. Who cares if he's not talking to his QB, the guy is a headcase.Last night they spent about 30 seconds on the Bear's game and had absolutely no idea what was going on. The highlights didn't even match up to their commentary. Then of course they go back to the TO drama, to them it's more important than the sport. I too am boycotting ESPN as much as possible. I will watch comcast for all my coverage.

JB98
08-27-2005, 01:11 PM
I watch games on ESPN, but I boycott most of the highlight shows. My knowledge of the game actually drops when I watch "Baseball Tonight," so I just stopped watching. "SportsCenter" is more about the anchors throwing out cutesy-pie expressions than it is about the games themselves. I find that irritating, therefore I don't watch anymore.

I've found that most of the "experts" they have for college basketball are idiots, just as the "baseball experts" are idiots. I do, however, think ESPN does a good job on college football. They actually have a couple guys who know what the hell they are talking about there. The Sunday Night Football announcers are the worst in sports. Mike Patrick sucks. He's a total ass-kisser, and I swear Maguire and Theismann work for the NFL.

And I don't care about TO. While the Sox are in the pennant race, I barely care about football. And I certainly don't care about some petulant wide receiver who plays for Philadelphia. If TO doesn't like the money he is being paid, he can give it to me. I'll gladly take it.

RavenswoodFan
08-28-2005, 12:06 AM
Since The 50 in 50 diss on the Sox I haven't watched a minute of ESPN anything! I'm still pissed about the complete disrespect they showed our team as well as us fans!:angry:

Lip Man 1
08-28-2005, 01:02 AM
Chicago83:

ESPN loves controversy. T.O. is #1 on that list right now. It's the same mentality that brings you shows like 'A Current Affair' and that type of garbage.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
08-28-2005, 01:23 AM
Chicago83:

ESPN loves controversy. T.O. is #1 on that list right now. It's the same mentality that brings you shows like 'A Current Affair' and that type of garbage.

Lip

Exactly... otherwise known as "pandering to the lowest common denominator".

ChiSox14305635
08-28-2005, 02:27 PM
"Life is an open road to me....."

downstairs
08-28-2005, 02:37 PM
ESPN-Entertainment SPorts Network.

It's actually Entertainment and Sports Programming Network.

....and it still sucks.

FedEx227
08-28-2005, 04:08 PM
'Cheap Seats'

Hey hey! Don't diss Cheap Seats, thats a great show...

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 05:50 PM
I can't believe ABC / Disney / ESPN took the Little League World Series off the air at the end of regulation to show their pathetic version of "news".

One more reason to boycott all things Disney / ABC / ESPN.

chitownhawkfan
08-28-2005, 06:57 PM
The only time I'll watch ESPN is for a game or during College Football, other than that give me Comcast. I know what you are talking about, the Fox Sports World Report on Fox Soccer is what I wish sportscenter could be. The anchors actually give the rundown of the game without some stupid idiom or pop culture reference.

Fight the evil Empire, dont watch ESPN or any Disney affiliates.

ChiSoxRowand
08-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I can't believe ABC / Disney / ESPN took the Little League World Series off the air at the end of regulation to show their pathetic version of "news".

One more reason to boycott all things Disney / ABC / ESPN.

They didn't show the walk off homer?

Stroker Ace
08-28-2005, 10:44 PM
IMO SportsCenter is literally un-watchable.A lot of people share that feeling. Coverage bias aside, I can't stand the anchors. Nothing is more annoying than Dan "Nobody is more plain than me" Patrick and Suart "I can't complete a sentence without using annoying "street" words" Scott.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 11:03 PM
They didn't show the walk off homer?

No - they left the game after regulation to go to an aborted 20 minute local newscast of the usual garbage. I guess they transferred the game to ESPN but I don't and won't buy cable. You don't leave a sporting event to go to news - even Dan Rather knows that.

RadioheadRocks
08-28-2005, 11:52 PM
No - they left the game after regulation to go to an aborted 20 minute local newscast of the usual garbage. I guess they transferred the game to ESPN but I don't and won't buy cable. You don't leave a sporting event to go to news - even Dan Rather knows that.

Do I detect a little yodeling Swiss girl making an appearance?

"THE RETURN OF HEIDI!!!!!!" LOL

MikeLove
08-29-2005, 01:03 AM

dude i think it was about the hurricane so thats pretty important!

ANyways whoever said the bottom line was the only unbiased thing on ESPN, that isnt even true. Watch it when they show games that havent started yet (i know for sure they do it with the football games on sunday morning) and they show a little stat or tidbit for each game. You can tell what teams they are trying to market and what they arent, they usually throw out negative stats for the same teams week to week and positive stats for the pats or eagles or falcons etc...

SouthSide_HitMen
08-29-2005, 01:47 AM
dude i think it was about the hurricane so thats pretty important!

Dude - We live 900 miles north of New Orleans - local coverage broke off coverage of the game. I could see if the National News broke in to cover an on going emergency (which wasn't the case). ABC 7 did 3 minutes on the hurricane (half of which was the weather guy teasing us about whether we will get any rain from the hurricane - wait for 15 minutes to find out) and then went into their normal worthless coverage.

DrGiggles
08-29-2005, 02:38 AM
I think its more about respect than anything. We might live 900 miles north of new orleans and all, but some of us have family and friends down there so I'm glad they switched over. Plus I don't care, I have cable.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-29-2005, 02:47 AM
I think its more about respect than anything. We might live 900 miles north of new orleans and all, but some of us have family and friends down there so I'm glad they switched over. Plus I don't care, I have cable.

So you could have tuned into 21 of the newsstations on cable for "coverage". People watching over the air television could turn to 2 or 5. Like I said - they "covered" the hurricane for 3 minutes and then went on to their normal BS newscast. By that time the game was over. Take a 1/2 minute or minute from a commercial, say ABC7 is covering the hurricane and will provide updates as soon as the game is over.

It was bad enough sitting through the first half of today's Sox game. I put on the Little League World Series, watch innings 4-6 and then all of a sudden I have some weather clown saying how in 15 minutes he will tell us if Chicago will get much needed rain due to the hurricane.