PDA

View Full Version : Per ESPN: Cubs to trade Lawton to Yankees

Banix12
08-27-2005, 02:51 AM
Espn Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2144138)

According to the report the cubs would trade Lawton to the Yankees for a minor league player to be named later.

Interesting flipping of players Dubois for Gerut, Gerut for Lawton, Lawton for ???

It's not official but if it's true that is a whole lot of trading for a whole lot of nothing.

And after watching Lawton for a bit in Chicago it should really do in the Yankees, he may be worse defensively than Bernie Williams.

MUsoxfan
08-27-2005, 03:50 AM
Cubs did a whole lotta trading when they thought they had a chance. Now that they're almost assured a sub .500 record in a non-NL West division, they should be looking to unload.

Domeshot17
08-27-2005, 04:06 AM
LoL. I remember hearing pre season ( while I was also hearing the Sox are going to finish 4th) " Jason Dubois will hit 25 homers"

Then, he gets dealt for Gerut, who had promise and was coming off an injury

Then, Gerut goes for Lawton, who was an aged veteran heading to a contending team needing an OBP guy

Now they send Lawton to the Yanks for a minor league PTBNL, What a Joke. Essentially all they have done is trade a 25 homer potential guy for a minor league PTBNL. It is the flubs though, so maybe it will be a good prospect, because we all know how much they love being rated highly by Baseball America.

Dealt Sammy Sosa for Hairston and a minor league pitcher who retired and paid most of Sammys Contract this year

Dealt Dontrelle Willis for Matt Clement

Dealt for Nomar, who has played 40 games for the cubs

While Lee was a good deal (for Hee Sop Choi), Hendry has proved to be one of the biggest wastes of a GM ever.

Oh yah, he brought in Dusty Baker, and now Prior Wood and Zambrano all have arm trouble

chaerulez
08-27-2005, 08:30 AM
What a Joke. Essentially all they have done is trade a 25 homer potential guy for a minor league PTBNL.

Lawton's career high in HRs is 21 and that was 7 years ago when he was still on the Twins. At age 33, he doesn't have much 'potential' left unless he goes in the path of a Brady Anderson or Ken Caminiti. Lawton has been nothing short of awful since being traded from the Pirates. His OBP dropped from .380 to .289 and his defense has been bad. Also since the Cubs should give up, there's no point to continue to pay the remainder of his 8 million dollar contract (and this is an organization that sent down a .339 hitting Matt Murton so they could play this guy- idiots). I don't know what the Yankees are thinking, I guess he can't be worse than Womack. Still the Yankees- I don't think will make the playoffs- my bet is on the Indians first and the A's second.

The Critic
08-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Lawton's career high in HRs is 21 and that was 7 years ago when he was still on the Twins.

I think he was referring to Dubois as the potential 25-HR guy.

If they trade Lawton for nothing, that whole trade merry-go-round was a waste.

Dan H
08-27-2005, 12:14 PM
The Cubs season, as usual, has been a complete joke. They are going to set an attendance record for a team that won't finish over .500. The Tribune still lists them in the wild card standings even though they, as of August 27, are but one game ahead of fifth place Cincinnati. There is nothing left of the "greatest rotation in baseball history." When they are eliminated, they will have completed six straight decades without an appearance in a World Series. Wrigely Field is more like Disney World than a baseball stadium. The White Sox going to the World Series would help put this pathetic baseball tradition in proper perspective.

We Sox fans aren't perfect, but at least we can't stand losing.

Dick Allen
08-27-2005, 12:23 PM
I wonder how many Cub "fans" at the Urinal will even notice Lawton's missing. Actually, I wonder how many will even know he was ever there to begin with.

Lip Man 1
08-27-2005, 12:52 PM
Remember how some of the media went absolytely nuts over the Lawton trade?
LOL

Jason DuBois...just another Heap Chop Soi which is to say another Bobby Hill.

Lip

SouthSide_HitMen
08-27-2005, 01:21 PM
LoL. I remember hearing pre season ( while I was also hearing the Sox are going to finish 4th) " Jason Dubois will hit 25 homers"

How can Dusty be expected to play someone like Dubois - He isn't 35 yet. I hope he comes back to haunt the team as Garland, Willis and others do each and every time they take the field.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Channel surfing, stopped on the Cub/Marlin game to catch the score...McFail was in the camera shot and Fox announced the Cubs recalled a 33 yo minor leaguer from AAA. No MLB experience since 1999.

JB98
08-27-2005, 02:16 PM
How can Dusty be expected to play someone like Dubois - He isn't 35 yet. I hope he comes back to haunt the team as Garland, Willis and others do each and every time they take the field.

DuBois plays for the Tribe. Given that, I just assume see him fail.

Paulwny
08-27-2005, 02:37 PM
I don't know what the Yankees are thinking, I guess he can't be worse than Womack. Still the Yankees- I don't think will make the playoffs- my bet is on the Indians first and the A's second.

With Ruben Sierra on the dl, depending on who is starting, they don't have ony hr hitters on the bench for ph late in the game.

Banix12
08-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Channel surfing, stopped on the Cub/Marlin game to catch the score...McFail was in the camera shot and Fox announced the Cubs recalled a 33 yo minor leaguer from AAA. No MLB experience since 1999.

Wow, this from a team with a somewhat viable major leaguer already down there in Ben Grieve, nothing spectactular but he's a solid pinch hitter and good defensively

Dealt Dontrelle Willis for Matt Clement

In all fairness to the cubs on this trade, Dontrelle Willis at the time was just an A-Ball pitcher and the other two parts the cubs traded them are still rotting in the minors and the main feature in that trade was Antonio Alfonseca, clement was just a throw in and he pitched very well for a throw in. That was a good trade at the time, only in hindsight has it seemed like a ripoff, and even then not that huge of one, Clement was a good acquisition.

Soxfanspcu11
08-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I would find it hard to believe that anyone at Wrigley new Lawton was there in the first place. These "fans" have to be the dumbest I have ever seen and not just in baseball either. I was at wrigley back in May, but before you jump all over me, i was only there cause that was the second game of the sox series. Me and my friend had our sox jerseys on and got nothing but S*** talked to us the whole time. I kept referencing players, statistics and record, not to mention small ball and just the game in general. Here is a small sample of a typical converstaion/argument with those idiots:Cub "fan"- "Hey! Sox suck! Get out of here!"

me= "sox suck? best record in baseball. yeah, do you even know what you are doing here? Do you know who is on this sinking ship of a franchise you call the cubs?"

Cub "fan"= "Hell yeah! D LEE, D LEE!!! SOX SUCK"

Me= "Okay man whatever, just watch the scoreboard"

Cub "fan"= "I am, its 1-0 Cubs in the 8th!! BOO YEAH!!! I LOVE SCHAUMBURGH (okay I added that part, no disrespect to sox fans in SCHAUM)

Me= "yes i know, but just watch the scoreboard"

SOX SCORE 4 RUNS WITH 2 OUTS IN EIGTH, NEEDLESS TO SAY, ME, MY FRIEND AND OTHER SOX FANS GOING NUTS

Us= "Lets go white sox!! CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP"

Cubs fans= "Um, yeah your just lucky we took Zambarno out, you got lucky!"

Me= saying nothing, just cheering on another sox victory, but couldnt get the smile off my face.

So yeah, is it officially wait till next year time for those idiots yet?

Ol' No. 2
08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
And Lawton promply makes his presence felt, contributing to a Yankees 5-run 9th to overcome a 7-3 deficit.

Seems to me that a Cubs uniform has an effect on ballplayers similar to kryptonite on Superman. No matter how good they might be, as soon as they don the Cubs' blue they become weak and puny. Take off the uniform and Voila! They return to their former selves.

Jjav829
08-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Jim Hendry does it again!

He turned Jason Dubois into someone named Justin Berg. Those damn other teams always helping out the Cubs.

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2005, 06:41 PM
We Sox fans aren't perfect, but at least we can't stand losing.

Amen,Dan!!God blessed Sox fans (and baseball fans) the good sense
to realise that losing should not be tolerated,especially when you have
a rotation like the 2005 Sox (all 5 starters could have 10 or more wins
at the end of this season).The offense,to this point,has been,well,
offensive (as in bad).But,as Ozzie and KW have preached time after time,
the 2005 White Sox were built on pitching,speed and defense.I won't argue
on the pitching and defense,but the speed needs a little work.:D: :D:

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2005, 06:47 PM

He turned Jason Dubois into someone named Justin Berg.

That's funny;I thought his name was Justin Tyme (just in time).:roflmao: :roflmao:

OK,I know that's pretty bad,but it's all I could come up with
on short notice.Somebody has to make the really bad corny
jokes.It was my turn this time.:redneck :redneck

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Seems to me that a Cubs uniform has an effect on ballplayers similar to kryptonite on Superman. No matter how good they might be, as soon as they don the Cubs' blue they become weak and puny. Take off the uniform and Voila! They return to their former selves.

So, does that make Andy McFail Lex Luthor?

Ol' No. 2
08-27-2005, 08:31 PM

He turned Jason Dubois into someone named Justin Berg. Those damn other teams always helping out the Cubs. /Hangar voice/
See, that's what I've
been saying. If Kenny was half the GM that Hendry
was he could trade
Willie Harris and Joe Borchard for Roger Clemens.