PDA

View Full Version : Braves vs. Braves

itsnotrequired
08-27-2005, 12:07 AM
Anyone catch the Brewers-Braves game in Milwaukee tonight? Milwaukee was wearing throwback Braves jerseys. Sort of odd to see two teams wearing basically the same uniform. Both had the tomahawk on them but Atlanta's said "Atlanta" while Milwaukee's said "Braves".

Pretty cool.:cool:

HotelWhiteSox
08-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Haha, at first I thought you had a brain cramp and accidentally posted Braves twice instead of Braves vs Brewers, then I actually read the post :redface:

Brian26
08-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Anyone catch the Brewers-Braves game in Milwaukee tonight? Milwaukee was wearing throwback Braves jerseys. Sort of odd to see two teams wearing basically the same uniform. Both had the tomahawk on them but Atlanta's said "Atlanta" while Milwaukee's said "Braves".

Yeah, definitely quirky. Since the Brewers were the home team, their jerseys actually said "Braves"...which are almost identical to the current Atlanta Braves jerseys. Very strange.

TommyJohn
08-27-2005, 08:02 AM

Not cool. The Milwaukee Brewers are not the Milwaukee Braves. Never have
been, never will be. The propaganda drive by Bud (it started under previous
ownership) to tie in the Brewers with the Braves is pathetic. The Milwaukee
Brewers are the Seattle Pilots. Period.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-27-2005, 09:06 AM

To hear Bud tell it, the 50+ years the Braves played in Boston don't count. The 14 they played in Milwaukee are all that matter. In fact I doubt Bud even knows baseball existed before 1953.

:tool
"I had a choo-choo train, and this really neat mitt signed by Eddie Matthews, and mom and dad would take me to Boston Store to meet Santa every Christmas..."

Red Barchetta
08-27-2005, 10:12 AM

I agree. If it wouldn't be for Hank Aaron, they would not be doing this.
Bob Costas should be Commissioner....

itsnotrequired
08-27-2005, 11:23 AM

Yeah, the Brewers should have thrown back to the original Milwaukee Brewers aka the Orioles.:wink:

I just thought it was cool to see two teams playing each other with more or less the same uniform.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-27-2005, 01:38 PM
I agree. If it wouldn't be for Hank Aaron, they would not be doing this.

Between 1994, his loans with Twins Owner Pohlad (which were against the rules of baseball) which led to a quid pro quo attempt to contract two franchises Bud Selig really should be banned for life from the game of baseball.

JohnBasedowYoda
08-27-2005, 02:12 PM
they've been doing this for a while. i don't like it..sorta says that the brewers are 2nd class at heart

Red Barchetta
08-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, the Brewers should have thrown back to the original Milwaukee Brewers aka the Orioles.:wink:

I just thought it was cool to see two teams playing each other with more or less the same uniform.

It did look pretty cool though....:smile:

Chips
08-27-2005, 02:27 PM
I think its stupid. Almost as dumb as the Baltimore Ravens having a statue of Unitas outside their stadium. Unitas was a Colt, they moved. He had nothing to do with the Ravens.

The Royals don't dress up in Kansas City A's uniforms, at least I don't ever recall it happening.

Stupid Idea.

TheOldRoman
08-27-2005, 02:38 PM
I think its stupid. Almost as dumb as the Baltimore Ravens having a statue of Unitas outside their stadium. Unitas was a Colt, they moved. He had nothing to do with the Ravens.

The Royals don't dress up in Kansas City A's uniforms, at least I don't ever recall it happening.

Stupid Idea.
True, although I think it would be hilarious if the Ravens wore Browns throwbacks for a game at Cleveland, seeing as they once were the Browns (unlike the Brewers-Braves). I don't think any of the Ravens would make it out of that stadium alive.

Except maybe Ray Lewis, he is skilled with a knife.:cool:

itsnotrequired
08-27-2005, 02:42 PM

Stupid Idea.

I don't mind it so much. The city remembers the past teams, regardless of where they are now. I doubt there are very many old-school Braves fans in Milwaukee that still root for Atlanta just becasue the franchise played there. Baltimore remembers Unitas even though he has nothing to do with the Ravens. The Brwers remember Aaron even though he has nothing to do with that team. Its the fans in the city that remember.

Its the same way that baseball teams get their nicknames. As I pointed out above, the Milwaukee Brewers use the same name shared by the original Milwaukee Brewers (today's Orioles via St. Louis). Even today's Orioles share the same name as the original Baltimore Orioles (now the Yankees). Heck, even our own beloved Sox "stole" their name from the Cubs!*

*A little different since these franchises are in the same city and always have been but you see where I'm coming from.

EDIT: Blast, I forgot Aaron played with the Brewers at the end of his career.:redface:

TheOldRoman
08-27-2005, 02:50 PM
The Brwers remember Aaron even though he has nothing to do with that team. Its the fans in the city that remember.

Actually, Aaron finished his career with the Brewers.

jake27
08-27-2005, 02:56 PM
i was there 2 years ago when it was the braves vs braves (or brwers night) i didnt know baout it going in so when i sat down i ws really confused for a little bit. the unis are very alike and i didnt like it at all

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2005, 07:05 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers are the Seattle Pilots. Period.

And that's all they ever will be,TJ.Hats off to your observation.
Don't let an ex-used car salesman snowball your beliefs.The Brewers
indeed are the former Pilots.And that's the only way i'll recognise them.:angry:

downstairs
08-28-2005, 08:42 AM
The right thing to have done here, to achieve the same effect and be historiacally accurate would be for Atlanta, when visiting Milwaukee, to wear a Milwaukee Braves road uni that says "Milwaukee."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2005, 10:46 AM
The right thing to have done here, to achieve the same effect and be historiacally accurate would be for Atlanta, when visiting Milwaukee, to wear a Milwaukee Braves road uni that says "Milwaukee."

Just one teeny tiny problem with that suggestion: The ATLANTA Braves aren't trying to pretend they have any business playing in Milwaukee anymore. It's SELIG'S BREWERS (nee Seattle Pilots) who keep confusing the issue!

Selig's wetdream is to recreate his childhood with the Braves in Milwaukee. It was inevitable he would "volunteer" his Brewers for the move from the A.L. to the N.L. and I'm sure he would steal the Braves' name and uniforms if he could get away with it, too.

Bud, just change the name to the New Milwaukee Braves and get it over with.
:o:

"Technically, the Brewers are the old Braves, not the new... err at least the old Pilots... umm, err... you know what I mean."

Railsplitter
08-28-2005, 11:16 AM

Costas himself has said this is about as likely as his becoming Scwartzengger's stunt double.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Just one teeny tiny problem with that suggestion: The ATLANTA Braves aren't trying to pretend they have any business playing in Milwaukee anymore. It's SELIG'S BREWERS (nee Seattle Pilots) who keep confusing the issue!

Selig's wetdream is to recreate his childhood with the Braves in Milwaukee. It was inevitable he would "volunteer" his Brewers for the move from the A.L. to the N.L. and I'm sure he would steal the Braves' name and uniforms if he could get away with it, too.

Bud, just change the name to the New Milwaukee Braves and get it over with.
:o:

"Technically, the Brewers are the old Braves, not the new... err at least the old Pilots... umm, err... you know what I mean."

As much as I hate Selig, he doesn't own the team - he sold it for $223 million to Mark Attanasio during the off season.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-28-2005, 12:10 PM
As much as I hate Selig, he doesn't own the team - he sold it for $223 million to Mark Attanasio during the off season.

Details... details... we know what is REALLY going on!

:wink:

Chips
08-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't mind it so much. The city remembers the past teams, regardless of where they are now. I doubt there are very many old-school Braves fans in Milwaukee that still root for Atlanta just becasue the franchise played there. Baltimore remembers Unitas even though he has nothing to do with the Ravens. The Brwers remember Aaron even though he has nothing to do with that team. Its the fans in the city that remember.

Its the same way that baseball teams get their nicknames. As I pointed out above, the Milwaukee Brewers use the same name shared by the original Milwaukee Brewers (today's Orioles via St. Louis). Even today's Orioles share the same name as the original Baltimore Orioles (now the Yankees). Heck, even our own beloved Sox "stole" their name from the Cubs!*

*A little different since these franchises are in the same city and always have been but you see where I'm coming from.

EDIT: Blast, I forgot Aaron played with the Brewers at the end of his career.:redface:

But the Brewers were never the Braves. I dont see the Mets wearing Giants or Dodgers uniforms. The Nationals haven't worN either of the former Senators uniforms.

Teams move on, the new teams that move in are not the old teams. Its like getting divroced and having the new wife act like the old wife.