PDA

View Full Version : taking metrarail to the cell

waldo_the_wolf
08-26-2005, 04:16 PM
Whaz up everyone! I'm usually just a reader but I had something I was hoping to get some opinions about. My girlfriend who's currently attending college in Michigan will be in town Labor Day weekend and we're planning on going to the cell. I was thinking of taking metrarail since I looked it up and they have routes right to the park. My g/f and her family are out-of-towners originally and naturally were brainwashed by the Tribune Co.: (Sox play in a bad part of town, it's not safe to go to the Cell, Cubs play in a nice and quaint Chicago neighborhood, etc.) I've been able to use the facts we all know to disprove that thinking. The problem is I've never ridden on metrarail and I was wondering if it is indeed a nice, safe alternative way to get to the park. Anyone with any stories or advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I'm 23 years old, yet I'm very small in stature and have kind of a babyface so I appear younger. Thanks for any contributions.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-26-2005, 04:23 PM
take the EL, Red Line to 35/SOX Park...no Metra

daveeym
08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
take the EL, Red Line to 35/SOX Park...no Metra You'd take the metra downtown to the loop, walk or cab over to the redline and do as above.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 04:24 PM
Whaz up everyone! I'm usually just a reader but I had something I was hoping to get some opinions about. My girlfriend who's currently attending college in Michigan will be in town Labor Day weekend and we're planning on going to the cell. I was thinking of taking metrarail since I looked it up and they have routes right to the park. My g/f and her family are out-of-towners originally and naturally were brainwashed by the Tribune Co.: (Sox play in a bad part of town, it's not safe to go to the Cell, Cubs play in a nice and quaint Chicago neighborhood, etc.) I've been able to use the facts we all know to disprove that thinking. The problem is I've never ridden on metrarail and I was wondering if it is indeed a nice, safe alternative way to get to the park. Anyone with any stories or advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I'm 23 years old, yet I'm very small in stature and have kind of a babyface so I appear younger. Thanks for any contributions.www.metrarail.com

hose
08-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Just so you know that there are 2 different end of the line Chicago stations for the Metra : Ogilvie Station and Union Station.

Metra has weekend passes for $5 , unlimited use all day Saturday and Sunday.

Plus if you use a Park n Ride at a Metra Station on the weekend
it could be possible that the parking is free , this all depends on the local municipality.

CTA Red Line & Green Line will get you to the park.

DumpJerry
08-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Just so you know that there are 2 different end of the line Chicago stations for the Metra : Ogilvie Station and Union Station. CTA Red Line & Green Line will get you to the park.
Actually there are four Metra stations downtown, the above-mentioned two plus the LaSalle Station at LaSalle and Van Buren and the Electric Line Station at Randolph and Michigan. I don't know where you're coming from, so I just wanted you know to about all four. All the stations are walking distance to the Green and Red Line trains.

You can get the Red Line on State Street, it is a subway. The Green Line runs on the elevated tracks above Lake Street and Wabash. If you take the Red Line, get off at Sox-35th. If you take the Green Line, your stop is 35th Bronzville and walk west on 35th Street.

Hope this helps! Gates open at the park 90 minutes before gametime, so figure out the Metra schedule which will get you downtown about 30 minutes before you want to arrive at the game.

RallyBowl
08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Surely metra is safer than the red line. Just my opinion as someone who has rode both frequently.

hose
08-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Actually there are four Metra stations downtown, the above-mentioned two plus the LaSalle Station at LaSalle and Van Buren and the Electric Line Station at Randolph and Michigan. I don't know where you're coming from, so I just wanted you know to about all four. All the stations are walking distance to the Green and Red Line trains.

You can get the Red Line on State Street, it is a subway. The Green Line runs on the elevated tracks above Lake Street and Wabash. If you take the Red Line, get off at Sox-35th. If you take the Green Line, your stop is 35th Bronzville and walk west on 35th Street.

Hope this helps! Gates open at the park 90 minutes before gametime, so figure out the Metra schedule which will get you downtown about 30 minutes before you want to arrive at the game.

I didn't know about the other stations at LaSalle & Van Buren and the other at Randolph & Michigan. I just figured they pulled into Union or Ogilvie.

One of those lines goes all the way to South Bend.

DumpJerry
08-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Surely metra is safer than the red line. Just my opinion as omeone who has rode both frequently.
That's fine, but there is no Metra stop for the game. The Red Line is not risky when there is a game, the trains a fully loaded.

BTW, the Metra from South Bend pulls into the Randolph/Michigan station.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Surely metra is safer than the red line. Just my opinion as someone who has rode both frequently.

First of all the red line is safe ESPECIALLY going to a game where you are surrounded by thousands of Sox fans...even more so if you are going north after the game. 2nd of all...the metra does not have a stop by US Cellular...so if you take the metra you have to walk quite a few blocks to the cell and then back....which would not be that safe at 11 o clock at night.

so surely you are wrong.

You won't have to put up with panhandlers on the metra but as far as safety is concerned there is a marginal difference.

SoxFan76
08-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Waldo the White Sox Wolf....wow I have a cup with him on it from years ago.

.....I am thinking of the right thing, right?

waldo_the_wolf
08-29-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for all your input, I'll consider my options. I guess I forgot to mention which direction I was coming from. I'd be leaving from one of the Joliet stations, not sure which one since I noticed there were two. Does anyone have a link to info about red line? As you can tell, public transportation is kind of alien to me. And btw, yes my sn is referring to waldo the wolf who was the mascot of the Silver and Black Pack from the 90's.

UofCSoxFan
08-29-2005, 04:06 PM
Does anyone have a link to info about red line?

http://www.yourcta.com (http://www.yourcta.com/)

Your best bet is to walk from Union Station (where I'm assuming you'd go in) to the Clinton Blue line stop. Then take that to Jackson where you transfer for free to the Red Line. Then take the Red Line south the Sox/35th.

clogoodie
08-29-2005, 04:08 PM
www.transitchicago.com (http://www.transitchicago.com) is the CTA site, Waldo...

From Joliet, the Rock Island line looks like the better option. That line terminates at LaSalle & Van Buren, and its a short walk to a Red Line stop along State Street.

Honestly, it might be better to drive. That's a long train trip, and at $4.90 one way on Metra plus $1.75 one way on CTA it'd be almost $27 total for two people round-trip. Parking at all Cell lots is $17...

bigfoot
09-01-2005, 04:10 AM
www.transitchicago.com (http://www.transitchicago.com/) is the CTA site, Waldo...

From Joliet, the Rock Island line looks like the better option. That line terminates at LaSalle & Van Buren, and its a short walk to a Red Line stop along State Street.

Honestly, it might be better to drive. That's a long train trip, and at $4.90 one way on Metra plus $1.75 one way on CTA it'd be almost $27 total for two people round-trip. Parking at all Cell lots is $17...

$27 R/T for two on the train/s vs. Driving for 2+hrs(R/T)+$17 parking+petrol @$3+/gal ???????

Choo, Choo!!!!!

spiffie
09-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread, if they are using METRA on the weekend it would be a $5 weekend pass for unlimited rides. So now it's $8.50 per person (R/t pass, and r/t on the El)

soxfan43
09-01-2005, 01:49 PM
If you take the metra to Ogilvie or Union you can walk a few blocks to washington and take the bus to washington and state and you can jump the redline there. THe buses come pretty frequently but I've walked from there to State and it's not too bad.

skobabe8
09-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Anyone from Indiana take the metra or know of a good way to ride the rails to a game?

miker
09-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Anyone from Indiana take the metra or know of a good way to ride the rails to a game?
If you live close enough to the Illinois border, take the Metra Electric.

Further away from the border, although the service isn't as frequent, take the South Shore.

Both lines end at Randolph Street Station. Exit Randolph St. Station and walk 2 blocks west along Randolph St. to State Street; then around the corner to your left by Marshall Field's. Go downstairs to subway. Follow overhead signs that say 95/Dan Ryan to see which track your train will be on. Take any train on that track; it will be marked 95/Dan Ryan. Ride to SOX-35TH Station, about 10 minutes. The ball park is in sight.

Returning: at SOX-35TH Station, take any train on the right-hand track; it will be marked Howard. Get off at Washington; use the elevator or escalator marked Randolph/Washington. This CTA trip is accessible to passengers in wheelchairs.

Schedules are at www.metrarail.com (http://www.metrarail.com/) and www.nictd.com (http://www.nictd.com)

And if we ever get that Metra station on the Rock Island and 35th Street, I will be one happy banana.:bandance:

clogoodie
09-02-2005, 04:22 PM
$27 R/T for two on the train/s vs. Driving for 2+hrs(R/T)+$17 parking+petrol @$3+/gal ???????

Choo, Choo!!!!!

When I glanced at the timetables, it looked like it'd be about 4 hours round trip on trains, including some waiting time for the Red Line both ways and the Metra on the way home. That's a bit much for me personally, especially when the base cost for train was $10 higher. If we consider gas prices (and they should be considered) at $3/gal @ 25 mpg from Joliet that would make the cost about equal.

Of course, as has been pointed out, weekend metra passes are $5, which makes the train option look a lot better. It's still a long trip though.

Reni
09-03-2005, 05:55 PM
I take the red line every day to work.....have NEVER had a problem with anyone.

And we take the red line to Sox games....never had any kind of altercation or problem......

grab it downtown, it's cheap and easy.....a lot cheaper than parking at the Cell!!

MISoxfan
09-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Whaz up everyone! I'm usually just a reader but I had something I was hoping to get some opinions about. My girlfriend who's currently attending college in Michigan will be in town Labor Day weekend and we're planning on going to the cell. I was thinking of taking metrarail since I looked it up and they have routes right to the park. My g/f and her family are out-of-towners originally and naturally were brainwashed by the Tribune Co.: (Sox play in a bad part of town, it's not safe to go to the Cell, Cubs play in a nice and quaint Chicago neighborhood, etc.) I've been able to use the facts we all know to disprove that thinking. The problem is I've never ridden on metrarail and I was wondering if it is indeed a nice, safe alternative way to get to the park. Anyone with any stories or advice would be appreciated. Keep in mind, I'm 23 years old, yet I'm very small in stature and have kind of a babyface so I appear younger. Thanks for any contributions.

It's been said before in this thread, but I live in Michigan and often take the Southshore into Chicago, there are no stops anywhere near the Cell, you just have to take it to Randolph and hop on the redline. I've never had any problems doing this, but depending on what time the game ends it can be a long wait for the Southshore on the way home.