PDA

View Full Version : Why not Widger at 3rd?

08-26-2005, 03:38 PM
He played it against Oakland that game and did a pretty good job too...

DaleJRFan
08-26-2005, 03:44 PM

We would then have no backup catcher.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
We would then have no backup catcher.Why not?:?:

DaleJRFan
08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Why not?:?:

What h appens if AJ gets beaned in the ribs and has to leave the game? Put Widger behind the plate and move someone from the bench at 3B???

Wait, I like the sound of that.

RallyBowl
08-26-2005, 03:51 PM
We would then have no backup catcher.

What about Ben Davis? I believe he'd be just fine.

DaleJRFan
08-26-2005, 03:52 PM
What about Ben Davis? I believe he'd be just fine.

Ben Davis had season-ending Tommy John surgery. Maybe call up Burke, he can play 3B too, although I understand he's not a very good 3B.

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Davis had Tommy John surgury so hes out for the season. Jamie Burke I guess is the only other option.

Jjav829
08-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Why not Widger at 3rd?

Uhh, because he isn't a 3rd baseman?

He had one putout. You're basing him playing well on one putout?

08-26-2005, 04:01 PM

All I'm saying he is an option, I would like to see how he does if he plays on a consistant basis..

hose
08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
All I'm saying he is an option, I would like to see how he does if he plays on a consistant basis..

Maybe in Spring Training but not now.

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-26-2005, 04:09 PM
This is ridiculous that we're discussing playing a backup catcher at third base to replace our every day third baseman who can't hit a lick - and hasn't ever. We're supposedly talking about "the best team in the American League" in the final full month of the season.

Kenny - do something before the 31st of August that should have been done before the 31st of July. Find a decent (around .260 at least) hitting 3rd baseman or outfielder (Griffey?).

Geez.:mad:

Baby Fisk
08-26-2005, 04:11 PM

HAHA! That's like the one game I played at 3B for my highschool team. I was in no way prepared to play at 3B, but my team suddenly needed a sub and, being the super-utility-man-who-just-happened-to-suck-at-third-base, I was sent in. Even though I did my best to "look the part" (crouching low and catlike, slamming fist into the glove, glaring at the batters), I spent the entire game PRAYING TO JESUS AND MARY that nothing got hit to me, and clenching my buttocks together in panic everytime the bat made contact with the ball. In the end, with the exception of an infield fly, not a single damn ball came at me FOR THE ENTIRE GAME. Apparently I was a 3Bman not to be trifled with! Afterwards, I was willing to accept all arguments that a higher power does exist. :redface:

Jjav829
08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
HAHA! That's like the one game I played at 3B for my highschool team. I was in no way prepared to play at 3B, but my team suddenly needed a sub and, being the super-utility-man-who-just-happened-to-suck-at-third-base, I was sent in. Even though I did my best to "look the part" (crouching low and catlike, slamming fist into the glove, glaring at the batters), I spent the entire game PRAYING TO JESUS AND MARY that nothing got hit to me, and clenching my buttocks together in panic everytime the bat made contact with the ball. In the end, with the exception of an infield fly, not a single damn ball came at me FOR THE ENTIRE GAME. Apparently I was a 3Bman not to be trifled with! Afterwards, I was willing to accept all arguments that a higher power does exist. :redface:

Too bad. Had you at least made one out we could have had a thread titled, "Why not Baby Fisk at 3rd?" :D:

AZChiSoxFan
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
Too bad. Had you at least made one out we could have had a thread titled, "Why not Baby Fisk at 3rd?" :D:

:rolling:

getonbckthr
08-26-2005, 05:08 PM
i know konerko is able to play 3b if needed. maybe put paulie at third and gload at 1st.

Heffalump
08-26-2005, 05:31 PM

NO

TornLabrum
08-26-2005, 05:34 PM
...beaned in the ribs...

Do we need to sticky this concept?

The only place you can get beaned is in the head. This is because "bean" is a term meaning "head." The only way one could get beaned in the ribs would be for the batter to be horribly misshapen.

A bean ball is a ball thrown at the head.

Getting beaned means getting hit in the head by a pitch.

DaleJRFan
08-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Do we need to sticky this concept?

The only place you can get beaned is in the head. This is because "bean" is a term meaning "head." The only way one could get beaned in the ribs would be for the batter to be horribly misshapen.

A bean ball is a ball thrown at the head.

Getting beaned means getting hit in the head by a pitch.

OOPS. Well, maybe AJ has a second head growing under his right arm... :D:

Baby Fisk
08-27-2005, 04:55 PM
OOPS. Well, maybe AJ has a second head growing under his right arm... :D:
:AJ:
"Pierzynski is actually Polish for 'Beeblebrox'."

soxfanreggie
08-27-2005, 05:44 PM
I thought about PK at 3rd and Gload at first like some others, but I don't think Paulie is fast enough to handle the hot corner.

SOXSINCE'70
08-27-2005, 05:49 PM
Davis had Tommy John surgury so hes out for the season. Jamie Burke I guess is the only other option.

Greg Norton (now there's a name from the past) has been
playing in the Sox minor league system,IIRC.Burke is not your
only option.I think Blum will play 3B most of the time unless
Crede avoids the DL,IMHO.Ozuna's alright in a pinch,I guess,
but after watching that ball go under his glove in Garcia's
1-0,1 hit shutout loss,my psyche (and my medical well being)
would say "please don't play him there too often".