PDA

View Full Version : Is it Wrong?

RallyBowl
08-26-2005, 04:38 PM
People here seem to get lambasted when they mention defeats, injuries, etc. of another team (you know who) in a mocking manner. There are two schools of thought on this, much like everything else. So, Question-
Is it wrong to be joyous, or feel anything of the nature, when hearing about the misfortune of a hated team? I don't personally seek out misfortunes or point them out to feel better. But I can't help but feel something good when I hear about something bad that has happened to "the other team". Does this make people who feel the same way bad? I'm not sure. Maybe with the losses or injuries, you shouldn't have that 'point and laugh' reaction. Maybe the high road is like looking at a train wreck or seeing a car accident- Be thankful it's not you.
I know posting things about them here gets a who cares attitude, but I just want to see where the majority stands- Right or wrong to feel good about misfortunes, injuries, loses. And I'll take it one step further even- Right or wrong to wish for these things to happen. Discuss.

32nd&Wallace
08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I've gotten into many debates on this and gotten a lot of heat - on this website. I will reiterate. These players make millions, the injuries are not life threatening and do not siginifcantly alter their quality of their life. Therefore, there is nothing wrong to be happy to see a player on a team that you do not like go down.

daveeym
08-26-2005, 05:00 PM
I usually avoid any thread that get into this but i'll weigh in on this one since its a discussion and not a flamewar (yet).

Theres nothing wrong with being happy that a rival team is lessened by an injury. That's far from wishing ill on the player hurt. "Yes the Cubs/Twinkies lost hunter/Woods for the season" is far from "Hahaha, that bastard Tor-eee/Woods ****ed up his leg." I look at the former being acceptable and the latter unnacceptable and tasteless. It's competition for christ sakes, its no different that being glad that they lost a game. However, you mention either one and the pc/holier than thou police come in and start berating everyone.

Edit: and more directly on the cubs, some are definitely too obsessed with the Cubs but the anticubs talk flaming is ridiculous, don't read the thread then. If it's a thread jacking post that doesn't belong feel free to tear into them though.

Baby Fisk
08-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I found Ramirez's belly flop over 1B to be an amusing moment, because it was the perfect symbol of the Cubs' season. There were other moments, sure, (Nomar falling to the ground, Prior falling to the ground, etc), but Ramirez's tumble just had the right amount of comic quality to it that it was amusing. I didn't cheer for an injury, I just laughed at the symbolism of it all. If some people get uptight over that, they need to loosen up.

FarWestChicago
08-26-2005, 05:04 PM
The real issue is Flubsessive individuals who would rather see the Flubs lose than the Sox win.

LuvSox
08-26-2005, 05:09 PM
The real issue is Flubsessive individuals who would rather see the Flubs lose than the Sox win.

Bingo.

C-Dawg
08-26-2005, 05:11 PM

On the other hand, there's Eric Zorn who I believe would rather see the Sox lose than the Cubs win.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 05:16 PM
On the other hand, there's Eric Zorn who I believe would rather see the Sox lose than the Cubs win.

That is why the Cubune pays him the big bucks.:wink:

SoXPriDe33
08-26-2005, 05:20 PM
I don't think that it is being glad that another teams player was hurt but more glad to see that the team now has to suffer because they lost a player. It was unfortunate for what happened to Hunter but at the same time as a Sox fan I was happy because this all but put Minnesota out of the playoffs.

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I love the white sox. To put it simply, I have unconditional love for the white sox. Nothing does my heart better then a white sox winner. But through 10 years of school, being raised a die hard sox fan through 4 generations all around cub fans screaming and laughing in my face, im SICK of it. My grandpa and my dad both grew up like a few blocks from comiskey. Anywho, I dont wish injury on anybody but i'm really happy the cubs are in 4th. All these years of not having many allies (until WSI) on the south side and having to fend off all these scrub fans myself. This is our year, let's do it white sox.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Anyhow, I dont wish injury on anybody but i'm really happy the cubs are in 4th.

Why - They are 1 1/2 games out of 5th (7 out of last). :wink:

RallyBowl
08-26-2005, 06:10 PM
I found Ramirez's belly flop over 1B to be an amusing moment, because it was the perfect symbol of the Cubs' season. There were other moments, sure, (Nomar falling to the ground, Prior falling to the ground, etc), but Ramirez's tumble just had the right amount of comic quality to it that it was amusing. I didn't cheer for an injury, I just laughed at the symbolism of it all. If some people get uptight over that, they need to loosen up.

That was the basis for this thread. As I have watched the replays the last few days, I've found it impossible to refrain from laughter. You are right, Baby, it is a perfect symbol.

DSpivack
08-27-2005, 02:42 AM
I hate Torii Hunter, but I'd much rather see him continue to hit .240, or less, than get injured.

CubKilla
08-27-2005, 11:25 AM

*****! I'll take a Sox win and a Cubs win any day of the week.

I guess I'm less of a Sox fan than other's around here since I'd rather see a Sox win and a Cubs loss EVERYDAY.

gobears1987
08-28-2005, 11:06 AM
I normally don't cheer injuries. I didn't cheer Prior's injury since it was just a freak accident that could happen to anyone. I DID cheer Torii Hunter's injury and got blasted for it. I don't see why. If you don't cheer that scumbag getting injured, then I think you are rooting for the wrong team. Torii is a jerk who bashes the Sox regularly and plays dirty. I was glad to see him go down and am laughing at the Twinkies. The only downside of the injury is the Twins will try and make excuses now, even though they were way back before he went down.

FarWestChicago
08-28-2005, 11:25 AM
I didn't cheer Prior's injury since it was just a freak accident that could happen to anyone. I DID cheer Torii Hunter's injury and got blasted for it. I don't see why. If you don't cheer that scumbag getting injured, then I think you are rooting for the wrong team.Because some of us have a little class and dignity. We're not all related to the Ligue's. :rolleyes:

soxwon
08-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Why - They are 1 1/2 games out of 5th (7 out of last). :wink:

but to them STILL in the Wild Card Race lol.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Because some of us have a little class and dignity. We're not all related to the Ligue's. :rolleyes:
Yeah, what he said. Plus the fact that, invariably, whoever the Twins bring up to replace an injured player performs like an All-Star.

I do think there is a distinction between wishing for/rejoicing in an opposing player's injury, and understanding how, when an injury has occurred, your team might benefit. When Maggs, Percival, Sabbathia, Hafner, Silva, Hunter or anybody else from one of our rivals missed time this year, I wasn't happy about them being hurt, but I was hopeful that the Sox would be able to take advantage on the field and in the standings.