PDA

View Full Version : What if grounder hits broken bat?

sageofthesox
08-26-2005, 12:42 PM
This week at Minnesota, both a ground ball and a piece of broken bat were rolling out to Tadahito. The ball almost hit the piece of bat, but it didn't. Iguchi fielded the grounder and threw out the runner.

But what is the ruling IF the ball hits the broken bat? If the bat hits the ball twice in the batter's box, I understand it's a foul ball. If a batter bunts, then throws the bat at the ball, he's out, right? Does anyone know the rule if a piece of a broken bat interferes with a ball in play?

FoulkeFan
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
DJ said the other day that it would have been interference if the bat hit the ball.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 12:46 PM
This week at Minnesota, both a ground ball and a piece of broken bat were rolling out to Tadahito. The ball almost hit the piece of bat, but it didn't. Iguchi fielded the grounder and threw out the runner.

But what is the ruling IF the ball hits the broken bat? If the bat hits the ball twice in the batter's box, I understand it's a foul ball. If a batter bunts, then throws the bat at the ball, he's out, right? Does anyone know the rule if a piece of a broken bat interferes with a ball in play?If the batter drops his bat in fair territory and the ball touches it, it's a dead ball and IIRC the batter is out. But in the case of a broken bat, I believe they'd rule it incidental contact and the ball would remain in play.

Jaffar
08-26-2005, 02:05 PM
Now if only you could perfect the broken part of the bat hitting the ball.

itsnotrequired
08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
If the batter drops his bat in fair territory and the ball touches it, it's a dead ball and IIRC the batter is out. But in the case of a broken bat, I believe they'd rule it incidental contact and the ball would remain in play.

Bingo. Thrown or dropped bat that interferes with a hit ball before a fielder reaches it is an out (i.e. laying a bunt down the first base line and dropping the bat along the way, striking the ball). A broken bat that hits a hit ball is not interference and the ball remains in play. Sort of like a grounder towards second that bounces off the bag and away from the fielder.