PDA

View Full Version : Kass Article

Iwritecode
08-26-2005, 12:24 PM
This one's for the dark clouds. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0508260228aug26,1,6155809.column?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines)

I like how he ends it:

The other day, Darrin Jackson explained the hesitant nature of some fans. He said fans are sometimes susceptible to baseball fear mongers because we're seeking what he called "emotional protection."

There isn't any protection for fans. Not this year. And not any other year either.

If you're a Sox fan, it's time to give your heart to this team and take your chances. By their nature, the Dr. Knobbs can't believe in the heart. And the Max Mercys can't let themselves believe, because they're too afraid.

Just think of what they'll miss.

Over By There
08-26-2005, 12:27 PM
I've only recently started reading Kass' column, but from what I've seen so far, he's good.

tacosalbarojas
08-26-2005, 12:28 PM
This one's for the dark clouds. (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0508260228aug26,1,6155809.column?page=2&coll=cs-home-headlines)

I like how he ends it:I luuuv John Kass.

elrod
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
When he writes about the White Sox, he's the best there is.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Here's my favorite part...

And that's when he slapped those fear mongers, the cynical scribe Max Mercy and the nerdy psychologist Dr. Knobb, right in the mouth. Oh, the looks on those pinched faces. Ah, the tears, the delicious whimpering.

Using the term "delicious" wipes out any doubt who Kass is talking about. Sheer genius... he calls out the windsock and only insiders know exactly who he is talking about. Of course insiders already avoid the windsock regardless but outsiders are left to wonder who he is talking about, the windsock thus getting no useful publicity for being called out. That's all the windsock wants and he gets exactly nothing. That's pure genius on Kass's part.

Hawk Harrelson could learn a lot from John Kass about how to handle the windsock.

Yes, Kass visits WSI.

:cool:

RallyBowl
08-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Does he mean Max Mariotti and Dr. Couch?

NSSoxFan
08-26-2005, 01:19 PM
That is one of the better articles I've read in a while.

Dark Clouds rejoice!

jackbrohamer
08-26-2005, 01:38 PM
He definitely gets it. I'd regret it if the only time in my life the Sox win a pennant I spent the season bitching about them.

skottyj242
08-26-2005, 01:48 PM
Works for me.

SOXintheBURGH
08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Here's my favorite part...

Using the term "delicious" wipes out any doubt who Kass is talking about. Sheer genius... he calls out the windsock and only insiders know exactly who he is talking about. Of course insiders already avoid the windsock regardless but outsiders are left to wonder who he is talking about, the windsock thus getting no useful publicity for being called out. That's all the windsock wants and he gets exactly nothing. That's pure genius on Kass's part.

Hawk Harrelson could learn a lot from John Kass about how to handle the windsock.

Yes, Kass visits WSI.

:cool:

Indeed.. best line in the article. Kass is a smart guy.

Where are ya WhiteSoxJosh, I mean, Kass?

SOXPHILE
08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
John Kass is good. I know some people don't like him as much as Royko (who I enjoyed too, even though he was a Cub fan), but in my opinion, he writes very good articles. His coverage of all the corruption and "outfit" goings ons at City Hall are great. He's a dyed on the wool Sox fan and makes no bones about it too. He seems like a guy I would love to have lunch with while discussing Chicago/Illinois politics, or just sitting in a bar or at U.S. Cellular with him watching the Sox game.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 03:01 PM
On Comcast SportsNight last night one of the anchors used as a lead in to the Sox / Twins highlights the term 'Jay - walking' with the emphasis on Jay. It was clear who he was talking about because surrounding that line was a comment about reporters.

Lip

PeteWard
08-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I figured it was a slap at Mariotti but can you clue me in on why the term "delicious whimpering" is a signal that it is about him? :?:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2005, 08:22 PM
I figured it was a slap at [the windsock] but can you clue me in on why the term "delicious whimpering" is a signal that it is about him?

The windsock used the term "delicious" to describe his hope that the Sox would get beat by the fuzzy and adorable Cubs in a crosstown game a few years ago. It's not exactly a common usage of the word, but Kass used it, too.

I'm pretty sure it was this same series the windsock used the term "Smut Sox." Pretty clever, huh?
:kukoo:

jortafan
08-26-2005, 08:54 PM
I got a kick out of this piece, and I must admit that it is the reason I did not get too bent out of shape when Eric Zorn went off on his little diatribe earlier in the week.

I fully expected Kass would come up with some sort of rebuttal piece to put that trite dog doo of a column in its place.

TommyJohn
08-27-2005, 07:09 AM
I know that Max Mercy is Mariotti, but who is Doc Knobb? Couch or Zorn?
Doesn't matter, I guess. I thought it was Zorn, but then someone in this
thread said Couch.