PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Official Site: Labor Day makeup game

Sad
08-26-2005, 11:05 AM
found this on Boston's site...
did a search and only found a rumor thread re: the same so
I hope it's not a redundant thread

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050825&content_id=1183982&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 11:23 AM
If this is true, this will be a logistical nightmare. Time to get George Castanza, Assistant to the Traveling Secretary, on the phone.

"Hey are you the guy that booked us in that Ramada in Detroit?"

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 11:27 AM
I thought it was Milwaukee.

Lip

The Wimperoo
08-26-2005, 12:01 PM
Sweet! One day off for the rest of the year!

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 12:05 PM
I thought it was Milwaukee.

Lip

hmm...you're right...I found it. The whole Milwaukee shift to the NL must have thrown me :redface: I bow to you and give you "UofCSox Fan, Lord of the Idiots."

:worship:

Sad
08-26-2005, 02:11 PM
...website now shows an 11:05 CT start...

Baby Fisk
08-26-2005, 02:12 PM
...website now shows an 11:05 CT start...Are you kidding?! I was going to make a sarcastic crack about a 10:00am local start.

Sad
08-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Are you kidding?! I was going to make a sarcastic crack about a 10:00am local start.

just fire up the BBQ a little earlier than usual! :D:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
Watch Bud Selig demand the Sunday game against the Tigers be moved to 7:05 pm to accomidate ESPN.

Baby Fisk
08-26-2005, 02:15 PM
just fire up the BBQ a little earlier than usual! :D:Hell, I'll still be on that meal between Breakfast and Brunch. :drool:

Kogs35
08-26-2005, 02:19 PM
Watch Bud Selig demand the Sunday game against the Tigers be moved to 7:05 pm to accomidate ESPN.

he wont. its the yankees-a's that sunday and twins-indians the next week on espn2

34 Inch Stick
08-26-2005, 02:46 PM
Couldn't the airplane just experience some "mechanical difficulties" and have to turn back, making playing of the game impossible?

Jerko
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
I think the Red Sox asked the ever accomodating Angels to play a DH so the game with us would not have to be on the 5th, but the Angels said no. I forgot where I heard that from but it doesn't surprise me. Actually, I am surprised the Red Sox even asked them for such a favor. Maybe if American League teams played each other more than 7 times a year, things like this would not happen.

Sad
08-26-2005, 02:52 PM
I think the Red Sox asked the ever accomodating Angels to play a DH so the game with us would not have to be on the 5th, but the Angels said no. I forgot where I heard that from but it doesn't surprise me. Actually, I am surprised the Red Sox even asked them for such a favor. Maybe if American League teams played each other more than 7 times a year, things like this would not happen.

guy I work with was just saying he read that in the Sun Times...

HotelWhiteSox
08-26-2005, 02:55 PM
I still don't get why it can't wait til the end of the year. If it matters, you'll play your best available anyways. If the standings have no bearings and they are forced to play it, just let the Sep callups duke it out

Jerko
08-26-2005, 02:56 PM

I can see the Angels saying no, but they WERE dicks making us play a 9:05 game on a getaway day instead of a day game. :angry:

GoGoOzzie
08-26-2005, 03:03 PM

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug26.html

WE'RE NO ANGELS: It's all but official that the Sox will have to travel to Boston on Sept. 5 to replay their rained-out game from Aug. 14. Just a few logistics remain, including the Red Sox' request for a little help from another potential playoff team.

If the Red Sox play Sept. 5, they would have to play 30 consecutive days, a stretch they already have started. So officials from Major League Baseball and the players union reportedly approached the Los Angeles Angels to see if, instead of playing the Red Sox on Sept. 6 at Fenway Park, they could play a day-night doubleheader Sept. 7. The Angels are not likely to cooperate.

''We haven't been asked to get an official vote yet,'' John Lackey, the Angels' acting union representative, told the Los Angeles Times. ''But I have a good idea the vote is not going to go well for .'' Sox player rep [b]Mark Buehrle said he still is waiting to hear if the Sept. 5 makeup date is official.

champagne030
08-26-2005, 03:06 PM
I can see the Angels saying no, but they WERE dicks making us play a 9:05 game on a getaway day instead of a day game. :angry:

According to the Sun-Times, the Red Sox were planning on asking the Angels to move their Red Sox/Angels game from 9/6 to a 9/7 day/night DH, so the Red Sox woundn't play 30 consectutive days. The player rep for the Angels said they haven't been asked to take a vote yet. Regardless, we will be scheduled to play on 9/5.....FWIW.

champagne030
08-26-2005, 03:07 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug26.html

Sorry, what he said........

Argalarga
08-26-2005, 03:07 PM
I assume we'll send the reserves and a few callups. Give BMac the start, send Jenks and Adkins. It'll be fine.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 03:08 PM
According to the Sun-Times, the Red Sox were planning on asking the Angels to move their Red Sox/Angels game from 9/6 to a 9/7 day/night DH, so the Red Sox woundn't play 30 consectutive days. The player rep for the Angels said they haven't been asked to take a vote yet. Regardless, we will be scheduled to play on 9/5.....FWIW.The Red Sox players can kill this nonsense if they want, and Selig would be powerless to stop them. Did they vote to play it? I haven't heard anything on that score. Chances are high that this game won't matter and wouldn't be made up.

champagne030
08-26-2005, 03:10 PM
The Red Sox players can kill this nonsense if they want, and Selig would be powerless to stop them. Did they vote to play it? I haven't heard anything on that score. Chances are high that this game won't matter and wouldn't be made up.

I watch watching ESPN news at about 1:30 CT and they said MLB had scheduled the makeup for 9/5. I would assume they wouldn't schedule the game if the Red Sox had not given the okay.

GoGoOzzie
08-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry, what she said........

I fixed your post for you :smile:

chisoxfanatic
08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
It's gotta suck if Sox fans in Chicago came all the way out to Boston to see the Sunday game...Would they be refunded for their tickets?

Anyways, Boston does have a ton of home games the rest of the season, so this could possibly have home-field implications. Hopefully our team is able to retain this best record.

It's gonna be interesting to see who the Sox send. If any team should complain, it should be our Sox, because at least the Red Sox don't have to travel. I wonder what Ozzie has to say about this.

kobo
08-26-2005, 03:22 PM
It's listed on the schedule on the official site now.

Kogs35
08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
12:05 eastern start on csn chicago

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 03:50 PM
12:05 eastern start on csn chicagoGreat. Why don't they just start the game at 8am?

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Well they do start a game at like 10:30 AM when they are home and the Boston Marathon is going on the same day.

I think it's called 'Patriots Day?'

Lip

The Dude
08-26-2005, 10:19 PM
I say we just sent a split squad type team out there, since it will be during September callups, and try to get Boston to do the same. thoughts???

chisoxfanatic
08-27-2005, 03:22 AM
I say we just sent a split squad type team out there, since it will be during September callups, and try to get Boston to do the same. thoughts???

The Red Sox will not consent to doing something like that when they're in a tight divisional race...They WILL play a regular lineup, and it won't be much of a big deal to them either, since they don't have to be doing any extra traveling.

Fenway
09-02-2005, 02:31 PM
I still don't get why it can't wait til the end of the year. If it matters, you'll play your best available anyways. If the standings have no bearings and they are forced to play it, just let the Sep callups duke it out

nobody wants to play it now BUT since it could also mean who has best record in AL they had no choice

santo=dorf
09-02-2005, 02:36 PM
nobody wants to play it now BUT since it could also mean who has best record in AL they had no choice

Do you think Boston will be putting its best team on the field that day? Or should we expect to see Kapler in CF?

Palehose13
09-02-2005, 02:37 PM

Don't worry, it won't come down to that. :wink:

maurice
09-02-2005, 02:43 PM
nobody wants to play it now BUT since it could also mean who has best record in AL East they had no choice

Fixed it for you.