PDA

View Full Version : Why we opened the 40 man roster spot

Domeshot17
08-26-2005, 03:15 AM
So this sounds lame, but hopefully from my non bull**** posts you realize this is actually a legit mini rumor mill. I have a friend who works for a popular chicago radio station, and I cant throw out his name or station because he gets caught his @$$ is on the line and that is bad for him and his family (although I can say the station name possibly could be in the forum name)

Anyway, we opened up the 40 man spot because Kenny has basically moved on from Cincinatti, The New Ownership wants Griffey and feel they are bringing in enough money to run at pitching and they can clear house elsewhere, namely Casey and move Dunn back to first base. But that does not mean Kenny has stopped making calls, and apparently he believes by sunday he can get a deal done.

Now, he had been in talks for Jeremy Burnitz according to my guys sources, but after Crede's hand situation, KW got into some semi serious talks with Detroit about Dmirti Young. He has also talked to KC about Sweeney, and KC apparently is willing to deal to the best offer if they like it, inter division or not. However, The KC ownership has been playing as much hot and cold as the Reds, which is why LAA backed off, as they are not a team that plays around much. My Buddy also said while Sweeney has a tainted image of Chicago from the incident, the way the white sox responded was comforting, and he feels it is worth a thought that 1 fan does not represent the whole. Jermaine Dye has also helped with that thought, and Sweeney would not mind (1) being reunited with Dye, team mate for 4 or 5 years in KC and (2) go to a winning team as he is actually more desperate to get out KC then he leads on. The KC ownership hold up has something to do with the thought the Boston Red Sox may be willing to offer a bigger package in the off season when more money is available.

I know its nothing very specific, I know the Sweeney package would be very similair to the Griffey package, the other 2 I am not sure as to who is going for them, but atleast its something as we are within a week of the deadline!

Banix12
08-26-2005, 04:10 AM
I didn't even know Young and Burnitz were passed through waivers. The burnitz idea, I think someone has been yanking your friend's chain. You make room on your team for a player like Griffey, Burnitz on the other hand isn't really better than what the sox already have and would be a fourth OF at best.

Dimitri Young sounds like an interesting idea, but i'm a little wary of sticking him at 3rd. As a Third Baseman Dimitri Young is a great OF. The last time he got any regular time at 3rd was 2003 when he played in 16 games there for the tigers and committed 8 errors in those sixteen games. He's only appeared in one game at 3rd since that year.

In his career he has played 54 games at 3rd, has committed 17 errors and has a fielding percentage of .879. It might not be the greatest idea to stick him out there.

I think the royals would be smarter to hold on to sweeney till the offseason. It's a weak free agent class, more teams will be looking to add and likely they can likely get as much talent then as they can now.

I figured the reds are looking more toward ditching casey and moving Dunn. When they didn't consider trading Kearns or Dunn I figured they would give Casey the boot to make room for all their OF.

Mr. White Sox
08-26-2005, 04:50 AM
I would personally love Casey for the Sox next year; problem is he has very little power and that would need to be compensated for elsewhere in the lineup. He's hitting .320 or so this year, though, and he's put up some good power #'s (20) in the past, and that's why I'd take a shot at him provided his contract is cheaper than PK's (it's actually 8.5mil for next year)...this would all depend on who the Sox would be giving up, considering his contract only has a year left.

Those are some interesting rumors, and I think KW will try to make a push at Sweeney, if anyone. I don't think Dmitri can play 3B, and I don't think anyone else on that list can either, which makes those names (burnitz, young, sweeney) seem a little bit odd. Sweeney's bat is up there with Griffey's, and he'd provide the highest impact for the club. Dmitri basically has Jermaine-like numbers this year, minus the SB and a few homers. Burnitz has basically the same numbers as Dmitri, and I don't know the purposes either would serve to the team besides being a 4th OF. Sweeney is the top shot here, but KC probably won't deal him until the offseason anyway. AND, unless Unkie Jerry is willing to pony up an extra $12.5mil per year for Sweeney (his salary per year increases to 12.5million up from 11mil if he gets traded), the Royals would have to eat some salary, which is probably something they're looking to avoid. Thanks for the lil' tidbits though.

Note: Sweeney also has a limited NTC, meaning he can veto a trade to anywhere but:
LA Angels of Anaheim, LA Dodgers, San Diego, Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, Arizona & Chicago Cubs
Let's all thank the best contract resources site ever (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2004_12_28_mlbcontracts_archive.html) for the info.

harwar
08-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Since KW is now in Seattle to talk about what to do about the roster with Ozzie,i was thinking that he might do a little deal with the mariners.
Maybe Ibanez.
Dimitri Young is a great clubhouse guy and can hit but he's shaky playing D anywhere.
You can have burnitz.
He wouldn't come here last year when we really needed him and i'd rather have Carl anyway.

psyclonis
08-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Rich Aurilia from the Reds maybe? Hes a FA after this yr...

Reds | Aurilia On Hit String
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:59:02 -0700

Reds.MLB.com reports Cincinnati Reds SS Rich Aurilia has an eight-game hitting streak after going 2-for-4 during the team's Aug. 21 game. He's batting .433 (13-for-30) with two home runs and six RBI during that stretch.

Reds | Aurilia Clears Waivers
Mon, 22 Aug 2005 02:01:19 -0700

The Dayton Daily News' Sean McClelland reports Cincinnati Reds SS Rich Aurilia has cleared waivers, but the team isn't necessarily interested in trading him unless an overwhelming offer comes along.

Reds | Aurilia Complains of Role
Mon, 1 Aug 2005 14:47:12 -0700

Reds.MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince reports Cincinnati Reds SS Rich Aurilia has been complaining about his role as a utility player and was hoping the team traded him before the deadline.

skobabe8
08-26-2005, 12:30 PM
So this sounds lame, but hopefully from my non bull**** posts you realize this is actually a legit mini rumor mill. I have a friend who works for a popular chicago radio station, and I cant throw out his name or station because he gets caught his @$$ is on the line and that is bad for him and his family (although I can say the station name possibly could be in the forum name)

Anyway, we opened up the 40 man spot because Kenny has basically moved on from Cincinatti, The New Ownership wants Griffey and feel they are bringing in enough money to run at pitching and they can clear house elsewhere, namely Casey and move Dunn back to first base. But that does not mean Kenny has stopped making calls, and apparently he believes by sunday he can get a deal done.

Now, he had been in talks for Jeremy Burnitz according to my guys sources, but after Crede's hand situation, KW got into some semi serious talks with Detroit about Dmirti Young. He has also talked to KC about Sweeney, and KC apparently is willing to deal to the best offer if they like it, inter division or not. However, The KC ownership has been playing as much hot and cold as the Reds, which is why LAA backed off, as they are not a team that plays around much. My Buddy also said while Sweeney has a tainted image of Chicago from the incident, the way the white sox responded was comforting, and he feels it is worth a thought that 1 fan does not represent the whole. Jermaine Dye has also helped with that thought, and Sweeney would not mind (1) being reunited with Dye, team mate for 4 or 5 years in KC and (2) go to a winning team as he is actually more desperate to get out KC then he leads on. The KC ownership hold up has something to do with the thought the Boston Red Sox may be willing to offer a bigger package in the off season when more money is available.

I know its nothing very specific, I know the Sweeney package would be very similair to the Griffey package, the other 2 I am not sure as to who is going for them, but atleast its something as we are within a week of the deadline!

Thanks, Dome. Interesting stuff.

Not what I want to hear, but interesting none the less.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I believe there is some merit to all this...I know (well have been told by various media sources) that Young and Seeney have both cleared waivers. I don't see Young coming to play 3B...the logic may be that if Ozuna or Blum is in the lineup everyday we need another power source somewhere else...even if it means one of our 4 OF is on the bench to pinch hit later in the games (I'd see a rotation like we did w/ Frank). Although Crede forgot how to hit the last month, he still is a power threat that simply isn't there with Blum and especially Ozuna. Ideally we'd get a good fielding 3B with some pop. Unfortunately none are available, and if they were, chances are they would not pass waivers.

Just some thoughts...I could be wrong.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Looking at Mike Sweeney's stats, I am divided. He is hitting .297 this year, and he is hitting a very good .292 against righties. He would certainly help our offense where we need it the most. However, he only has 18 homers. For as much as people talk on this board that we need a lot of power from the 1B position, that is not a lot. His career high is 29 homers. The biggest thing with him is the health. He is always getting injured, and he is under contract for next year.

I don't know, maybe I am just so hung up on Griffey and everything he would bring to this team that I can't see the value of other players. Sweeney is a good player, and if we have the opportunity to get him for a reasonable price, I think we should do it. We can worry about the rest in the offseason (ie, his contract, does Konerko stay, etc.).

DaleJRFan
08-26-2005, 12:55 PM
Looking at Mike Sweeney's stats, I am divided. He is hitting .297 this year, and he is hitting a very good .292 against righties. He would certainly help our offense where we need it the most. However, he only has 18 homers. For as much as people talk on this board that we need a lot of power from the 1B position, that is not a lot. His career high is 29 homers. The biggest thing with him is the health. He is always getting injured, and he is under contract for next year.

I don't know, maybe I am just so hung up on Griffey and everything he would bring to this team that I can't see the value of other players. Sweeney is a good player, and if we have the opportunity to get him for a reasonable price, I think we should do it. We can worry about the rest in the offseason (ie, his contract, does Konerko stay, etc.).

Mike Sweeney is a better hitter than any guy in the regular lineup right now. (well, maybe thats a exaggeration, but he's reeeeeeally good).. If the price isn't too high, get it done. But the last thing this Sox fan wants to see is Chris Young or Brandon McCarthy owning the Sox for the next 5 years in Royals uniforms. Having Sweeney next year certainly wouldn't be a bad thing, either.

Fredsox
08-26-2005, 01:08 PM

Power at 1B does not seem to be an issue right now. As far as I'm concerned unless Sweeney can play 3rd base I don't know what we'd do with him. Don't get me wrong, he's a fine player, I just don't see the Sox being significantly improved if they get Sweeney and have to sit or trade Konerko as a result of it. We would still have a hole at 3B offensively, we would have removed our #1 RBI producer out of the lineup, and we'd get some better contact at the plate.

I don't see it.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Konerko wouldn't sit...either he or Sweeney would DH. With Pods out that would mean you'd have Everett in left, Arow in CF, and Dye in Left. With Pods back you'd most likely have Pods replace Everett with Carl on the bench, rotating in at DH and in the corner outfield spots.

infohawk
08-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Looking at Mike Sweeney's stats, I am divided. He is hitting .297 this year, and he is hitting a very good .292 against righties. He would certainly help our offense where we need it the most.

The best argument for acquiring Sweeney is that the Sox would be guaranteed to sweep all remaining games with the Royals because Sweeney won't be there to beat us single-handedly!!! Seriously, I'd be very happy with his bat in the line-up.

infohawk
08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
But the last thing this Sox fan wants to see is Chris Young or Brandon McCarthy owning the Sox for the next 5 years in Royals uniforms.

Even with a good Sox prospect or two, I have complete faith in the inability of the Royals' management team to put a quality team on the field capable of competing for an entire season.

infohawk
08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
As far as I'm concerned unless Sweeney can play 3rd base I don't know what we'd do with him

:hawk

"Do I even need to ask? Dadgum right I do! Where would he play?"

Seriously, Sweeney would probably be a bigger threat in the middle of the order than Carl. I know I'm always worried when he comes to the plate.

DaleJRFan
08-26-2005, 03:26 PM
I know I'm always worried when he comes to the plate.

Me too... what scares me when he is up against the Sox is.. .its not like he is one of those 280 hitters who is so big and strong that he can hit a ball off of the handle over the SS for a hit... he HAMMERS the ball, great timing, makes excellent contact. I think he would hit in with the mix and Ozzieball really well.

Mr. White Sox
08-26-2005, 03:32 PM
I would personally love Casey for the Sox next year; problem is he has very little power and that would need to be compensated for elsewhere in the lineup. He's hitting .320 or so this year, though, and he's put up some good power #'s (20) in the past, and that's why I'd take a shot at him provided his contract is cheaper than PK's (it's actually 8.5mil for next year)...

Sweeney is the top shot here, but KC probably won't deal him until the offseason anyway. Unless Unkie Jerry is willing to pony up an extra $12.5mil per year for Sweeney (his salary per year increases to 12.5million up from 11mil if he gets traded), the Royals would have to eat some salary, which is probably something they're looking to avoid. Thanks for the lil' tidbits though.

Note: Sweeney also has a limited NTC, meaning he can veto a trade to anywhere but:
LA Angels of Anaheim, LA Dodgers, San Diego, Oakland, San Francisco, Seattle, Arizona & Chicago Cubs

Let me just quote myself again in easier-to-read form, with the main points being salary and trade possibilities for Sweeney, and my undying love for Sean Casey

Jjav829
08-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Let me just quote myself again in easier-to-read form, with the main points being salary and trade possibilities for Sweeney, and my undying love for Sean Casey

Sean Casey would be a bad acquisition. He's due $8.5 million next year. Casey has little power. He is even slower than Konerko and doesn't walk at a very high rate. The only thing he does well is hit for average. Not exactly ideal for a 1B due $8.5 million next year. The Reds would probably give this guy away for free.