PDA

View Full Version : Post Season Rotation

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 01:10 AM
According to the Tribune, Ozzie has made his first definite comment about the post season rotation for surprisingly, the ALDS.

Ozzie said the Sox will use 'four starters' in the first round because the schedule sees only one day off.

Lip

munchman33
08-26-2005, 01:17 AM
According to the Tribune, Ozzie has made his first definite comment about the post season rotation for surprisingly, the ALDS.

Ozzie said the Sox will use 'four starters' in the first round because the schedule sees only one day off.

Lip

So I guess the real question is whether Contreras or Duque starts game four, if we need it.

dcb33
08-26-2005, 01:50 AM
So I guess the real question is whether Contreras or Duque starts game four, if we need it.

Conteras should get the nod as 4th starter, especially if the Sox face the Yankees.

arbutron
08-26-2005, 01:51 AM

You asked the question....so what do you think??? :rolleyes:

ChiSoxRowand
08-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Using four starters is always a good idea, especially with the depth we have. Guys pitching on three days rest have horrible numbers in the postseason. No matter how the schedule works out, at least one guy would have to go on three days rest in a three man rotation. I say start the Duke in game 4 and move Jose to the pen.

tromcoe
08-26-2005, 02:13 AM
I may get banned here but what about Duque and Contreras starting and Garland in the bullpen?

bobwsx
08-26-2005, 02:27 AM
I may get banned here but what about Duque and Contreras starting and Garland in the bullpen?:kneeslap:banned?you should be smacked!!!

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Using four starters is always a good idea, especially with the depth we have. Guys pitching on three days rest have horrible numbers in the postseason. No matter how the schedule works out, at least one guy would have to go on three days rest in a three man rotation. I say start the Duke in game 4 and move Jose to the pen.

I agree 100%. Even Clemens looked awful on 3 days rest. The 1991 Twins were the last team to win the World Series with a 3 man playoff rotation. I don't expect the next one to come for quite sometime.

As long as each pitcher gets 4 days rest, I don't care if Ozzie goes with 3 or 4 pitchers.

It is good we have the luxury of having 3 great pitchers and the two Cubans - One who has excellent playoff experience and one who pitches lights out against the Yankees (if they are an opponent). I like El Duque as the #4.

MUsoxfan
08-26-2005, 03:22 AM
I'd rather have Contreras than Duque right now. I wouldn't have said that a month ago, but Contreras has been unreal.

munchman33
08-26-2005, 10:27 AM
You asked the question....so what do you think??? :rolleyes:

Definately Contreras. He's actually been good in big games for us.

Norberto7
08-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Why would we need four starters in the ALDS?

SoxFanTillDeath
08-26-2005, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I can't pick between either of the "Cuban Catastrophe"...a few weeks ago I would've said el-duque without a moment's hesitation, but now both of them are doing good. I think their last 2 starts will determine that as we will see who has the hottest hand (or arm).

I still say el-duque despite how awesome Contreras has been because el-duque's been there, done that and we know what we are going to get. With Jose you could get 8 innings of shut-out ball or you could get 5 innings and 6 runs in a s...l...o...w...ballgame. But hopefully he'll keep this up and prove me wrong. Jose's got dominating stuff that would put us over the top in October.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 12:07 PM
:kneeslap:banned?you should be smacked!!!

or drug tested.

Randar68
08-26-2005, 12:11 PM

We only need the first 3 starters to pitch. Just need the offense to score about 2 runs per game and we'll be golden! LOL!

Fake Chet Lemon
08-26-2005, 12:15 PM
What order though? Go with the hot hand #1 or Buehrle automatically? Hard to set up your roatation for the hot hand. May want to put the lefty between two righties. Screw it, start Bobby Jenks game #1.

Randar68
08-26-2005, 12:31 PM
What order though? Go with the hot hand #1 or Buehrle automatically? Hard to set up your roatation for the hot hand. May want to put the lefty between two righties. Screw it, start Bobby Jenks game #1.

Buehrle
Garland
Garcia

I think you put Garcia on the road. His home/road splits are hugely in favor of road starts for some reason. Gotta go with it IMO.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 01:05 PM
Buehrle
Garland
Garcia

I think you put Garcia on the road. His home/road splits are hugely in favor of road starts for some reason. Gotta go with it IMO.Agreed. Also, if the Sox draw the Yankees, as I expect they will, having Contreras or Hernandez going in Yankee stadium in game 4 will be a good choice, as both are very accustomed to pitching there.

FedEx227
08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
Gotta go with the Duke, althought Contreras has been good lately, I don't think he could take the pressure... and also El Duque is a big game pitcher plain and simple, who cares about age, he can get it done...

but I'm hopin' we only need 3 starters in the ALCS.

Palehose13
08-26-2005, 01:15 PM
"Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me. Playoffs? I'm just hoping we can win a game, another game."

:wink:

tacosalbarojas
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
Honestly, I can't pick between either of the "Cuban Catastrophe"...a few weeks ago I would've said el-duque without a moment's hesitation, but now both of them are doing good. I think their last 2 starts will determine that as we will see who has the hottest hand (or arm).

I still say el-duque despite how awesome Contreras has been because el-duque's been there, done that and we know what we are going to get. With Jose you could get 8 innings of shut-out ball or you could get 5 innings and 6 runs in a s...l...o...w...ballgame. But hopefully he'll keep this up and prove me wrong. Jose's got dominating stuff that would put us over the top in October.I still say Duque as well. You can't overlook that post-season record of his. Plus, if Contreras blows up in the playoffs and has one of those s.l.o.w...games, you know we'd all be like, 'I knew that was a suicidal move'. No, Duque's the move, unless there is an overwhelming performance from Duque or JC throughout September that might dictate otherwise.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm glad to hear Ozzie plans to use 4 pitchers if (when) we reach the ALDS. It only makes sense, especially given the depth of our rotation. Frankly I would have been shocked if he didn't already have his mind made up on using four.

Speculating on which 4 starters he uses seems really pointless because I guarantee even Ozzie isn't sure. It depends on who the opponent is and when and where the games are played. None of this needs to be decided for over a month.

Take a stress tab and chill. It's been a fun ride so far and we still have plenty left to go.

34 Inch Stick
08-26-2005, 02:38 PM
I was watching the rebroadcast of yesterday's game last night but not paying much attention. However, I seem to remember Copper saying something about Garcia starting the first game. I might have heard wrong and instead he said the first road game.

Anyway, KW brought El Duque in specifically for this purpose. Stick with your original reasoning until proven wrong.

mweflen
08-26-2005, 03:18 PM
We only need the first 3 starters to pitch. Just need the offense to score about 2 runs per game and we'll be golden! LOL!

Hmm. Should this be in teal? Or deep pink?

Sigh... such are the dog days... :smile:

MIgrenade
08-26-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't think Buehrle should automatically start game 1. He has been bad against the Red Sox and A's this season so if either of them comes calling I think you have to go with someone else, probably Garland (who has beat the A's), or Duque because of post season experience. My fear is that Ozzie goes with MB, JG, and FG just because, rather than playing the matchups.
And Garcia has to start on the road.

hawkjt
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM
I really think this playoff schedule favors the sox due to our depth in the rotation. No one has a 4th starter that features lights-out stuff like Jose. Or El Duque. This helps us in a series against virtually anyone. Now if we can be swinging the bats just decently- we are going to roll.

Lillian
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
If the Sox are fortunate enough to arrive at the playoffs with all of the pitchers healthy, and pitching well, why couldn't they try the following:?
Take the 4th and 5th best starter, and assign them the same day in the rotation. On that day, they could both be prepared to pitch. Whoever actually starts, would do so with the understanding that if he gets off to a slow start, the other will immediately be brought in to take over. This is a little different than a long reliever being brought in when the game has gotten out of hand early.
This is rather an attempt to keep the game from getting out of hand. We all understand that sometimes a guy can have a very rocky first inning, and then settle down and pitch a great game. This often happens to Garcia, and the Cubans. However, with our meager offense, could we really afford to spot a team 3 or 4 runs in the first? Why not use this deep rotation as a kind of insurance.
If it would create hard feelings for the 5th guy, maybe tell them the roles would be reversed in the next round, if we get there.
Could this be a feasible solution to an enviable "problem"?

GAsoxfan
08-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Assuming the Sox have home field advantage:

Buehrle
Garland
Garcia
Hernandez

If for some reason the Sox don't have homefield advantage:

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Hernandez

Ozzie has to have Garcia pitch on the road, and preferably a day game if that's possible. I don't try to understand the splits, I just follow them.

BNLSox
08-26-2005, 04:52 PM

Comment of the year. You put a smile on my face!

Frater Perdurabo
08-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Assuming the Sox have home field advantage:

Buehrle
Garland
Garcia
Hernandez

If for some reason the Sox don't have homefield advantage:

Buehrle
Garcia
Garland
Hernandez

Ozzie has to have Garcia pitch on the road, and preferably a day game if that's possible. I don't try to understand the splits, I just follow them.

I agree about Garcia starting a road game, perferably a day game. And no disrespect to Buehrle, but I also agree it might be wise to use him between Garland and Garcia because he's a lefty, although Garland and Garcia are very different pitchers. Of course, as PHG said, it all will be based on matchups.

HotelWhiteSox
08-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Hmmm, the 4th starter would be a toss up for me. Contreras has better stuff and could go deeper in the game, but Hernandez has the experience. They both have the same downfalls, getting in trouble if they walk guys. Hernandez seems more stubborn about not working quicker, while Contreras seems like he can't pitch over any errrors made be the defense. IIRC, the Yankees used Contreras out of the bullpen in the playoffs, I don't know if that would have any bearing on it though, I guess the best thing is to wait and see!

As far as Game 1, I kind of want Garcia, but it's another schedule thing. There are DS games during the day during the week, and I don't mind if Garcia is at home as long as it's day time. I'm guessing it would be in the day if the Wild Card doesn't come out of the central, because it seems like the games against the wild card winner seem to be during the day, but don't quote me on that

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 05:55 PM
As far as Game 1, I kind of want Garcia, but it's another schedule thing. There are DS games during the day during the week, and I don't mind if Garcia is at home as long as it's day time. I'm guessing it would be in the day if the Wild Card doesn't come out of the central, because it seems like the games against the wild card winner seem to be during the day, but don't quote me on that

The evening "prime time" game is ranked by assumed TV ratings.

Any Yankee or Red Sox game will be played in prime time.

Next on the pecking order is St. Louis, Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.

I would think we would be a third level team and probably play most games in the day, assuming we don't play Boston in Round 1. We would rank higher than Houston, Atlanta, San Diego, Oakland, Florida and Cleveland as far as TV priority matchups go. Philadelphia will rank about even with us.

An easy cheat sheet on rank TV preferences is how much Gammons blabbers about each team (Red Sox, Cubs, Yankees......).

ElDuque26
08-26-2005, 05:57 PM
as good as contreras has been as of late i give el duque the nod as the number 4. His playoff numbers are awsome (seeing as he im pretty sure is the only starter on our staff to have started a playoff game) and contreras is much more attractive out of the pen. He has electric stuff and for an inning he might be able to have solid control...ALSO BOBBY JENKS FOR CLOSER!

BainesHOF
08-26-2005, 06:11 PM
1. Garland
2. Buehrle
3. Garcia
4. Hernandez

Garland's been our best pitcher this season, period.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Garland's been our best pitcher this season, period.By what measure?

FielderJones
08-26-2005, 06:42 PM
By what measure?

I'm guessing he's going by wins.

FielderJones
08-26-2005, 06:46 PM
The evening "prime time" game is ranked by assumed TV ratings.

Any Yankee or Red Sox game will be played in prime time.

Which is why I want the Yankmees to win the Wild Card, and the Blow Sox to win the East. That will put us in prime time all postseason, and have the added benefit of going through ESPN's darlings on the way to the World Series.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 06:59 PM
Which is why I want the Yankmees to win the Wild Card, and the Blow Sox to win the East. That will put us in prime time all postseason, and have the added benefit of going through ESPN's darlings on the way to the World Series.

Sans the scrubs of course.

HotelWhiteSox
08-26-2005, 07:07 PM

Boo-urns! We want day games for Freddy!

Ol' No. 2
08-27-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm guessing he's going by wins.That's pretty much what I figured. And we all know that that's the ONLY measure of a pitcher's value.