PDA

View Full Version : Lip sets the record straight in the Cubune

hose
08-25-2005, 11:38 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050824so (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050824soxbits,1,7607088.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)xbits (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050824soxbits,1,7607088.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)
,1,7607088.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050824soxbits,1,7607088.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

...........Memory lane

Mark Liptak pointed out in an e-mail that Freddy Garcia wasn't the first Sox pitcher to lose a one-hitter. That distinction belongs to Richard Dotson, who lost a 1-0 decision to Baltimore on an eighth-inning home run by Dan Ford on May 18, 1983.

Dotson's control wasn't as sharp as Garcia's. Dotson walked seven and threw two wild pitches.

Current coach Harold Baines went 2-for-4 in that game for the Sox but doesn't recall the circumstances.

Brian26
08-25-2005, 11:41 PM
Lip actually got a bigger mention in the Sun-Times today...something to the effect of, "Mark Liptak writes...and this is the guy who I rely on to tell me these little bits of info..."

Lip is all over the papers!

Letmehearya
08-25-2005, 11:44 PM
Is there a better source for all things White Sox than the members of this site. Nice job Lip!

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
Lip actually got a bigger mention in the Sun-Times today...something to the effect of, "Mark Liptak writes...and this is the guy who I rely on to tell me these little bits of info..."

Lip is all over the papers!

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rapoport/cst-spt-rap25.html

Retro-horror
No, as a matter of fact, Tuesday night's debacle in Minnesota was not the first time the White Sox have lost a one-hitter. E-mailer Mark Liptak, whom I depend on for things like this, said it reminded him of the one-hitter Richard Dotson pitched in Baltimore in 1983, only to lose 1-0. The sole hit was an opposite-field home run by "Disco'' Dan Ford that traveled 308 feet and landed in the first row of seats.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Hawk was saying the same thing but I remembered watching the Dotson game and double checked to make sure I wasn't losing it.

http://www.retrosheet.org/

Baltimore Orioles 1, Chicago White Sox 0

Game Played on Wednesday, May 18, 1983 (N) at Memorial Stadium

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 12:47 AM
:redface: Just trying to do what I can... not a bad birthday after all!

Lip

Hangar18
08-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Nice Job Lip. The Media comes here every day to hear what were thinking, get correct information, and to get "material" for their shows. Right here.

steff
08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
Nice Job Lip. The Media comes here every day to hear what were thinking, get correct information, and to get "material" for their shows. Right here.

Hu...? He emailed them...

Hangar18
08-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Hu...? He emailed them...

I know ........im saying that the Chicago Media still "Lurks" here for
information, tidbits, ideas .............. For instance, a radio personality
recently mentioned during out 7 game slide if we were going to blow it, and made a number of references to "fans on the internet arent too happy" which
I know he was referring to us .......

steff
08-26-2005, 10:09 AM
recently mentioned during out 7 game slide if we were going to blow it, and made a number of references to "fans on the internet arent too happy" which

uh hu.. yea... ok

:?:

Kogs35
08-26-2005, 10:09 AM
2 radio personalities i know of lurk here all the time

Hangar18
08-26-2005, 10:12 AM
2 radio personalities i know of lurk here all the time

A certain FOX anchor comes here too, even though he isnt interested in the SOX, he gave good compliments to sox fans. Said he likes to read the arguments, we bring up good points, and admits were not like those "other" fans where were satisfied with anything, losing, etc

Hangar18
08-26-2005, 10:14 AM
Not to mention a certain manclown over at the score, hes here all the time,
though he'll tell you he isnt, and that he could care less what we say about
him and his lust for anything cub

Brian26
08-26-2005, 10:18 AM
A certain FOX anchor comes here too, even though he isnt interested in the SOX

For a moment, I thought you were referring to Tamron Hall. :whiner:

infohawk
08-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Congrats Lip!:D:

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2005, 11:20 AM
You know it's bad when both local newspapers rely on a fan to feed them the facts about one of the major sports franchises in the city.

Yeah, sports journalism in Chicago isn't Podunk-ville. And the Cubune isn't biased either.

:Don Wycliff
"And even if we were bias, it's YOUR problem. Tough ****, Sox Fans."

Props to you, Lip. If you weren't around, neither the Cubune or Scum-Times would have any clue at all.
:cool:

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 11:32 AM
George:

Interesting little item in this, is that I heard back from an acquaintance at the Tribune as well as from another media outlet, who said that the original info of the Sox never having lost a one hitter before, came from the Sox themselves (I assume the media relations people...).

If true perhaps they also need to brush up on a few things.

Lip

TDog
08-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Congratulations. Certainly it is cool for someone from the WSI nation to set the record straight. I don't want to diminish that when I point out that the morning after Garcia's one-hit loss, I read in the Associated Press report about the 1983 one-hit loss, along with a 1964 or 1965 one-hit Twins win. (Reports didn't mention the White Sox tied the record for fewest hits in a win with zero on a blustery day in Old Comiskey, but they didn't have to.) Rather, I think it strange that the AP bothered to check on such things when the beat writers for the Chicago papers did not.

When I was going to Munster High in the early '70s, the Sox and Cubs were scheduled to play games at the same time, which was rare in the day because the Cubs then weren't trying to drive the Sox out of town. The Tribune was reporting it was the first time in about a dozen years or something like that, though I remembered the previous year such a scheduling anomaly on the Saturday after the All-Star break. I remembered Harry Caray screaming for Sox fans to show their support while conceding that it was a Cubs city and everyone would probably spend the afternoon at Wrigley. And I remembered the Tribune's coverage. I called the Tribune sports department and told them to look a their banner sports headline (I gave them the previous year's date) that reported the Cubs outdrawing the Sox something like 36,000 to 7,000. The reporter said something to the effect of, "Go away kid." I probably wasn't the only person complaining. A few days later the correction was made at the bottom of the Sox notes, in small print.

Inattention to such detail is the hallmark of what we oxymoronically call Chicago sports journalism.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-26-2005, 11:58 AM
...the original info of the Sox never having lost a one hitter before, came from the Sox themselves (I assume the media relations people...).

What are you saying, Lip? The people at WSI are not just schooling the sports journalists of Chicago on how to cover the White Sox, but the White Sox themselves, too???

Say it ain't so!!!

:cool:

:gallas
"I always meant to bring back the Soxogram... and I always knew Sox Fans loved Nancy Faust... I mean I never did anything about it, but but but..."

TDog
08-26-2005, 12:10 PM
What are you saying, Lip? The people at WSI are not just schooling the sports journalists of Chicago on how to cover the White Sox, but the White Sox themselves, too??? ...

As evidenced by the cover I read three time zones away, I believe the White Sox media relations people provided the information to everyone but the Chicago beat weren't paying attention.

tacosalbarojas
08-26-2005, 01:49 PM
George:

Interesting little item in this, is that I heard back from an acquaintance at the Tribune as well as from another media outlet, who said that the original info of the Sox never having lost a one hitter before, came from the Sox themselves (I assume the media relations people...).

LipI figured as much when Hawk noted it at the end of the broadcast that night. And I've watched the old '83 highlight tape (the one that orignally was produced by Sportsvision - not the new one on the market now) enough with Hawk's own voice talking about "Richard Dotson pitched a masterful one-hitter...and lost it...on Danny Ford's HR" to know that wasn't right. I surmised he got that from one of Beghtol's people doing the research.

miker
08-26-2005, 03:20 PM
I wish I could be a Chicago sports journalist...then somebody could do all my work for me. And even if the Sox media people dropped the ball, a REAL reporter would have double-checked.

Score another one for the members of WSI in their relentless pursuit of the truth!

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
TDog:

My comments were only based on the White Sox regarding one hit games and losses. I immediately remembered the Dotson game especially after reading the comments on White Sox. com and the Tribune that evening that they were incorrect so I e-mailed them the info.

Apparently out of 60 one hitters Sox pitchers have thrown in team history, two resulted in losses. But as you correctly pointed out other teams have lost them as well including Ted Lilly.

Lip

cubhater
08-26-2005, 05:26 PM
:redface: Just trying to do what I can... not a bad birthday after all!

Lip

Leave it to a Sox fan in Idaho to correct the Chicago media. Happy Birthday Lip!:bandance:

JohnBasedowYoda
08-26-2005, 07:30 PM
uh hu.. yea... ok

:?:

it's best not to question Hangar. Just let him do his thang:redneck

and way to go Lip.
Thumbs up guy says good job!!
http://www.muffinmanthemovie.com/Pics/Tbone-thumbs-up_large.jpg

mr_genius
08-27-2005, 02:00 AM
George:

Lip

maybe you should offer them use of your vast sox knowledge in the form of a Soxsultant (see, i said soxsultant instead of consultant)

:sunshine:

Lip Man 1
08-27-2005, 02:22 AM
As Cartman says....'sweeettt...' but I wouldn't hold my breath on it. I'm available if anyone reads this from the media. With satellite TV and the internet it's not like you have to actually live in the area anymore is it?

Lip