PDA

View Full Version : Eagerly waiting for Crede news

Lip Man 1
08-25-2005, 09:40 PM
From White Sox. com:

"Ozuna was only in the game because Joe Crede injured the middle finger on his right hand when trying to bunt two pitches earlier.

X-rays will be taken of Crede's hand Friday in Seattle. The third baseman, mired in a 5-for-55 slump, had his finger get pinched against the bat on Crain's offering. Guillen said that he already had talked to general manager Ken Williams about possible replacement options.

"It's numb right now," Crede said. "My whole hand went numb, and that was it. When you can't feel your hand, you know something's not right."

If something is broken, what are the Sox options if any? Ozuna (shudder...), Greg Norton (gasp)...a waiver deal? or would Blum move to 3rd base?

Lip

buehrle4cy05
08-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I say bring up Norton. He was with the team in 2000, I'd rather have somebody with experience than play Blum or Pablo at third everyday.

Is Herbert "The Milkman" Perry availble?

Kogs35
08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
I say bring up Norton. He was with the team in 2000, I'd rather have somebody with experience than play Blum or Pablo at third everyday.

Is Herbert "The Milkman" Perry availble?

id take my chances with blum over norton.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2005, 09:57 PM
It seems that the Sox just haven't been able to get healthy since Frank went down...just one nagging injury after another. I hope the finger isn't broken because that's generally four to six weeks if I remember correctly. It would be a shame if they got Posednik back and promptly lost Crede.

Granted his only offensive contribution was the occasional home run but he was pretty good defensively which suits the Sox style.

We'll see.

Lip

elrod
08-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Why not Blum? He is as effective defensively and offensively as Crede. He's a perfect replacement. In a few days we can call up Norton too for depth.

Randar68
08-25-2005, 10:12 PM
id take my chances with blum over norton.

Amen

Randar68
08-25-2005, 10:13 PM
If something is broken, what are the Sox options if any? Ozuna (shudder...), Greg Norton (gasp)...a waiver deal? or would Blum move to 3rd base?

I heard Cincinnati has a veteran 3rd baseman named Ken Griffey Jr. that cleared waivers...

LOL!

Huisj
08-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Why not Blum? He is as effective defensively and offensively as Crede. He's a perfect replacement. In a few days we can call up Norton too for depth.

Sorry to disagree, but I doubt Blum is as good defensively as Crede.

SOX ADDICT '73
08-25-2005, 10:20 PM
I don't know what the record is for team HBP in a season, but since that first series in Oakland, Sox hitters have pretty much had targets on their jerseys. It was only a matter of time before somebody went down for an extended period.

I admired his willingness to play through serious back pain. If Crede is done for a while, the Sox will definitely miss his defense, but it's hard to shed too many tears for a guy in a 5-for-55 slump when the team is having trouble scoring runs.

Mr. White Sox
08-25-2005, 10:23 PM

No way is he nearly as good defensively. He is, however, more than serviceable...the problem is, playing Blum at 3B every day reduces his effectiveness as a super-utility player, meaning Iguchi, Uribe and PK have to play their positions more. If this is a 15-day thing, bring up Norton (gasp!). If this is a season-ending thing, they need to make a deal. Burroughs is the only viable option IIRC/IMO.

Soxzilla
08-25-2005, 10:25 PM

Blum is fantastic defensively.

We won't miss a beat if he plays 3b everday.

This also means less rest time for Iguchi, which is a great thing. His bat needs to be in the lineup everyday, not two times every three games.

JB98
08-25-2005, 10:40 PM
No way is he nearly as good defensively. He is, however, more than serviceable...the problem is, playing Blum at 3B every day reduces his effectiveness as a super-utility player, meaning Iguchi, Uribe and PK have to play their positions more. If this is a 15-day thing, bring up Norton (gasp!). If this is a season-ending thing, they need to make a deal. Burroughs is the only viable option IIRC/IMO.

Burroughs is not a viable option. He sucks. If Crede is out, we platoon Blum and Ozuna. Blum can handle the position defensively. You'll have a hard time convincing me Burroughs is a better hitter than Blum. The Padres designated Burroughs for assignment with good reason: No extra-base power whatsoever.

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 11:00 PM

This also means less rest time for Iguchi, which is a great thing. His bat needs to be in the lineup everyday, not two times every three games.What team have you been watching? Blum is servicable. That's it.

And the last thing they need is for Iguchi to be playing every day. He's already played 103 games and there are a lot left. They play only 136 in Japan. Unless, of course, you WANT him to use up what he's got in a non-existant division race and be tired for the playoffs.

FarWestChicago
08-25-2005, 11:02 PM
It's too bad shoota is on hiatus for his finest moment. :rolleyes:

SoxinAZ
08-25-2005, 11:04 PM
5 more days until the rosters expand..........We can bring up an army!!:bandance:

OEO Magglio
08-25-2005, 11:06 PM
The answer to this problem is clearly Chris Widger.:cool:

TheOldRoman
08-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Well, this is a pretty big if, but we could try to get Vizquel from the Giants and then move Uribe to 3rd. Uribe looked good at third the times he played there. We went through all the Vizquel rumors before the deadline, but if the Giants give up on this season (although they wont - horrible NL West, Barroids coming back) Vizquel is a guarantee to clear waivers. All the contending teams have shortstops sans Minn, and they wouldn't take on his contract. Just something to keep in the back of your heads.

Mr. White Sox
08-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Burroughs is not a viable option. He sucks. If Crede is out, we platoon Blum and Ozuna. Blum can handle the position defensively. You'll have a hard time convincing me Burroughs is a better hitter than Blum. The Padres designated Burroughs for assignment with good reason: No extra-base power whatsoever.

So, wait, no XBH power = not a viable option? see: Scott Podsednik (bad analogy, but whatever)... As long as Burroughs has a glove equal to or better than Blum's at 3B, he's a viable option. He's a career .283/.343 hitter, and yes, he has no power, but that's fine with me. Better to hit .283 with warning track power than hit .235 with 16 HR...besides, recommend another name to me. I don't want to see Ozuna starting at 3B, and another poster went over the reasons why Blum shouldn't start there constantly.

Banix12
08-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Blum may not be the level of Crede defensively (few really are) but Norton is nowhere even close to the level of Blum. I don't know how many of you remember how much of a Butcher Norton was at the Hot Corner but I would not trust him over there for an extended period of time. Though Norton might be just a smidge better than Ozuna over there.

However the only other in house options down in the minors I can think of would be Jaime Burke and Josh Fields.

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2005, 11:15 PM
I did this to my finger sophmore year of college...got a slider that didn't break like i thought...luckily I was holding the bad like you are suppossed to (pinching, nor wrapping my fingers) so I did not break my finger. Still the thing ballooned up and I couldn't throw or swing a bat for about 10 days.

If its broken (another injury I've had playing ball) its probably a 3-4 week injury.

JB98
08-25-2005, 11:25 PM
So, wait, no XBH power = not a viable option? see: Scott Podsednik (bad analogy, but whatever)... As long as Burroughs has a glove equal to or better than Blum's at 3B, he's a viable option. He's a career .283/.343 hitter, and yes, he has no power, but that's fine with me. Better to hit .283 with warning track power than hit .235 with 16 HR...besides, recommend another name to me. I don't want to see Ozuna starting at 3B, and another poster went over the reasons why Blum shouldn't start there constantly.

Nonsense. I disagree with whoever the poster was who said Blum should not start there consistently. He was acquired as the insurance policy for Crede. If Crede is hurt, Blum plays. That simple. Against lefties, I'd give Ozuna the start.

Blum is not as good as Crede defensively, but he's solid. And his bat has been OK. Why would we give up a prospect for Burroughs, who is clearly not much of an upgrade from Blum? In fact, I don't think he's an upgrade at all.

I don't have another name to recommend to you because we don't need anybody. We're fine. Futhermore, we don't even know what the prognosis is on Crede. So why start with this Chicken Little crap already?

DickAllen72
08-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Well, this is a pretty big if, but we could try to get Vizquel from the Giants and then move Uribe to 3rd. Uribe looked good at third the times he played there. We went through all the Vizquel rumors before the deadline, but if the Giants give up on this season (although they wont - horrible NL West, Barroids coming back) Vizquel is a guarantee to clear waivers. All the contending teams have shortstops sans Minn, and they wouldn't take on his contract. Just something to keep in the back of your heads.
Man, that would be sweet.

Probably the Sox are more likely to wind up with a Rich Aurillia or a Mark Bellhorn.

JB98
08-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Man, that would be sweet.

Probably the Sox are more likely to wind up with a Rich Aurillia or a Mark Bellhorn.

Bellhorn? Just shoot me. I'd throw up watching him strike out in every plate appearance.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2005, 11:30 PM

This also means less rest time for Iguchi, which is a great thing. His bat needs to be in the lineup everyday, not two times every three games.

You've watched Blum play defense for 15 games and you're saying he's fantastic? lol. :rolleyes:

BTW.... imo losing Crede or Uribe for an extended period could be a bigger issue than some people think. Our top 3 pitchers are known for pitching to contact. The ability of the defense goes with their success. Our defensive improvements over this year have been a big factor in Garland becoming the pitcher he is.

DickAllen72
08-25-2005, 11:32 PM
Bellhorn? Just shoot me. I'd throw up watching him strike out in every plate appearance.
I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying he's more likely to be obtained than Vizquel.

TomBradley72
08-25-2005, 11:33 PM
It's time for the Josh Fields era to begin.

JB98
08-25-2005, 11:37 PM
I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying he's more likely to be obtained than Vizquel.

On that point, you are right. But I'd rather stand pat than acquire Bellhorn.

I'm quite certain KW had the opportunity to acquire Burroughs before the deadline. Instead, he went with Blum. There's a reason for that. He was the best insurance policy out there for Crede, and he's an upgrade over Willie Harris because of his versatility. Even if Joe broke something, he has enough time to heal before the playoffs. I think Blum can do the job in the short term. Is it ideal? No, but it's the best option we have.

BTW, I looked up the stats on Burroughs. In 250 ABs, he's hitting .255 with 1 HR and 15 RBIs. He hasn't played at the big-league level since July 23. If he can't crack the roster for the mediocre Padres, then he probably doesn't belong on the best team in the American League.

Banix12
08-25-2005, 11:46 PM
BTW, I looked up the stats on Burroughs. In 250 ABs, he's hitting .255 with 1 HR and 15 RBIs. He hasn't played at the big-league level since July 23. If he can't crack the roster for the mediocre Padres, then he probably doesn't belong on the best team in the American League.

Yeah, we have enough guys like Burroughs around or that are easily available. Why trade for Burroghs when the sox already have a no power third base option in the minors in Jaime Burke

Letmehearya
08-25-2005, 11:47 PM
Why not Rob Mackowiak? Lefthanded hitter, some pop, born and raised a die hard Sox fan. What'll it take? Probably not much.

elrod
08-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Geoff Blum is more than "serviceable". In the few games he's been up, he has shown great range, great hands and a decent throwing arm. More important, he hustles. If Paulie wasn't wanking off to the umpire, Blum would have thrown out Rodriguez to win the game 1-0 today. I suppose Joe Crede's defense is on another level, but Blum has been great wherever he's played. He'd be great at 3B until Crede gets back.

Banix12
08-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Why not Rob Mackowiak? Lefthanded hitter, some pop, born and raised a die hard Sox fan. What'll it take? Probably not much.

Didn't make it through waivers so he isn't available, last time I checked the only infielders to make it through waivers were Rich Aurilia, Edgardo Alfonso and Wes Helms

DickAllen72
08-25-2005, 11:52 PM
I read he was pulled off waivers after some team claimed him a few days ago.
:(:

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Why not Rob Mackowiak? Lefthanded hitter, some pop, born and raised a die hard Sox fan. What'll it take? Probably not much.The only pop Mackowiak has comes in a 12-oz can.

Don't you think we should at least wait to hear SOMETHING about whether Crede is actually, you know, actually hurt before replacing him?

Wait...what am I thinking? I forgot where I was there for a minute.:wink:

beckett21
08-25-2005, 11:58 PM
The only pop Mackowiak has comes in a 12-oz can.

Don't you think we should at least wait to hear SOMETHING about whether Crede is actually, you know, actually hurt before replacing him?

Wait...what am I thinking? I forgot where I was there for a minute.:wink:

With respect ON2, I'll take Mackowiak's bat over Crede's any day of the week.

That said, I hope Crede's ok. The Sox would sorely miss his glove.

shaunburnette
08-25-2005, 11:59 PM
If Crede is injured and not going to be 100% until next year that is not a good thing. Blum is NOT the answer. His hitting is pathetic and unlike Crede, he is NOT a Gold Glove caliber player.

My hope/suggestion would NO DOUBT be Edgardo Alfonzo ( http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=110135 )

Career - .288 hitter
Low Strikeouts
Good Fielder (Not Crede but well above average)

This year the stats are pretty on par with his career.

I think another organization was looking at him, but if the news on Crede is not good than KW should highly consider selling for this guy. I think it would give us a good look and he is a veteran.

EDIT: He also supposedly cleared waivers AND is from Venezuela (chemistry?)

SoxinAZ
08-26-2005, 12:00 AM
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players/5/4948.jpg I cleared waivers, what about me??

SoxinAZ
08-26-2005, 12:03 AM
If Crede is injured and not going to be 100% until next year that is not a good thing. Blum is NOT the answer. His hitting is pathetic and unlike Crede, he is NOT a Gold Glove caliber player.

My hope/suggestion would NO DOUBT be Edgardo Alfonzo ( http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player_career.jsp?player_id=110135 )

Career - .288 hitter
Low Strikeouts
Good Fielder (Not Crede but well above average)

This year the stats are pretty on par with his career.

I think another organization was looking at him, but if the news on Crede is not good than KW should highly consider selling for this guy. I think it would give us a good look and he is a veteran.

EDIT: He also supposedly cleared waivers AND is from Venezuela (chemistry?)

Way too expensive-7.5 million for 2005 and 8 for 2006!

shaunburnette
08-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Way too expensive-7.5 million for 2005 and 8 for 2006!

It is truly pathetic that money is the response and obstacle to a good solution that solves alot of offensive problems.

EDIT: But hey, I am a fan of the guy you posted in Dodger Blue. :o:

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
It is truly pathetic that money is the response and obstacle to a good solution that solves alot of offensive problems.Here's an easy solution. Why don't YOU send them the $8M?

shaunburnette
08-26-2005, 12:07 AM
Here's an easy solution. Why don't YOU send them the $8M?

Know anyone I can get a good interest rate from? Or, maybe Oprah can help!

elrod
08-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Alfonzo would be a great pick-up, especially if SF would agree to pick up some of his salary. He rebounded from some injury plagued seasons and is now a very potent hitter. And he was born only a couple days after me!

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 12:46 AM
We'll know more about Crede Friday but the story tonight by Mark Gonzales says he may have a broken middle finger and that immediately after the game Ozzie was on the phone with Williams discussing 'options.'

Lip

Mr. White Sox
08-26-2005, 01:00 AM
With respect ON2, I'll take Mackowiak's bat over Crede's any day of the week.

That said, I hope Crede's ok. The Sox would sorely miss his glove.

Dr. Beckett, what are the possible injuries if Crede's hand went numb? He said his hand went completely numb right after it was hit, and said that wasn't a good sign.

I, for one, am not content with Blum + Ozuna at third for the rest of the year and the playoffs, if it comes to that (hopefully it won't obvs.). Blum is a fine reserve guy and is great for giving the starters some rest. But, that's his job, to give guys rest. With Blum starting virtually every day at 3B, Iguchi would have less days off, and not many know how much he has left in the tank, seeing as how the Japanese leagues play about 30 games less.

Defensively, Blum is above average at third, but I'd still like him in the reserve role. The problem is - as many have mentioned - that there aren't many 3B available currently. As to the poster who stated Burroughs' avg. this year, that's in limited time and doesn't reflect his career average of .283. Geoff Blum hit around .200 with Tampa Bay last year, but the Sox still acquired him due to his career consistancy (they took a risk bringing him over to the AL, as that's where he struggled mightily). But, I haven't seen Burroughs play D, so I can't really give as definitive of an opinion on him as I'd like. I have seen him hit, and it's very Podsednik-like.

JB98
08-26-2005, 01:06 AM
Dr. Beckett, what are the possible injuries if Crede's hand went numb? He said his hand went completely numb right after it was hit, and said that wasn't a good sign.

I, for one, am not content with Blum + Ozuna at third for the rest of the year and the playoffs, if it comes to that (hopefully it won't obvs.). Blum is a fine reserve guy and is great for giving the starters some rest. But, that's his job, to give guys rest. With Blum starting virtually every day at 3B, Iguchi would have less days off, and not many know how much he has left in the tank, seeing as how the Japanese leagues play about 30 games less.

Defensively, Blum is above average at third, but I'd still like him in the reserve role. The problem is - as many have mentioned - that there aren't many 3B available currently. As to the poster who stated Burroughs' avg. this year, that's in limited time and doesn't reflect his career average of .283. Geoff Blum hit around .200 with Tampa Bay last year, but the Sox still acquired him due to his career consistancy (they took a risk bringing him over to the AL, as that's where he struggled mightily). But, I haven't seen Burroughs play D, so I can't really give as definitive of an opinion on him as I'd like. I have seen him hit, and it's very Podsednik-like.

Burroughs had 250 at-bats. He played practically every day the first half of the year, and he sucked. The Padres couldn't trade him he sucked so bad, so now he is in the minors. I don't care what his career average is. He blows this year.

Unless Burroughs has 54 stolen bases, I'm not comparing him to Podsednik.

gashegone72
08-26-2005, 01:12 AM
Hey all, Long time lurker, first time poster. Most topics don't inflame me enough to post, but I feel the need to chime in on this one.
If Crede goes down, Norton should not be the answer. As others have pointed out, our pitchers thrive because of solid defense. If "chicken wing" is called up to replace Crede, our championship dreams may be thrown out the window as quickly as one of Norton throws across the diamond ends up in the stands.
I like the idea of Blum as the everyday, with Ozuna spelling him. Although Ozuna isn't a Gold Glover (or even close to one), he's serviceable on a part time basis and fits much better into the Ozzie-ball scheme than does Norton.

Mr. White Sox
08-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Burroughs had 250 at-bats. He played practically every day the first half of the year, and he sucked. The Padres couldn't trade him he sucked so bad, so now he is in the minors. I don't care what his career average is. He blows this year.

Unless Burroughs has 54 stolen bases, I'm not comparing him to Podsednik.

Podsednik's 54 stolen bases do not change the fact that his hitting style is slap-happy and powerless, which is similar to Burroughs. I wasn't comparing them as players in the slightest. I also don't think this year has a bearing on his career, as I can name a couple of players on this team that have slumped for worse than .255 for around 1/2 a year. I'm not going to make a concerted opinion on him, like I said before, because I haven't seen him play defense. If he's worse defensively than Blum, this whole argument is moot. The need is for a third baseman that can start every game and play solid defense in order to keep Blum in the super-utility role to spell Iguchi/Konerko. This is all assuming Crede is out for a long time, and we have no idea on that either, so I am reserving my judgment on any moves until I know more about Crede's injury and Burroughs' defense.

Banix12
08-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Hey all, Long time lurker, first time poster. Most topics don't inflame me enough to post, but I feel the need to chime in on this one.
If Crede goes down, Norton should not be the answer. As others have pointed out, our pitchers thrive because of solid defense. If "chicken wing" is called up to replace Crede, our championship dreams may be thrown out the window as quickly as one of Norton throws across the diamond ends up in the stands.
I like the idea of Blum as the everyday, with Ozuna spelling him. Although Ozuna isn't a Gold Glover (or even close to one), he's serviceable on a part time basis and fits much better into the Ozzie-ball scheme than does Norton.

First off welcome to the site.

Yeah, total agreement. Norton is the last guy I want to see up here. Blum is probably the best option the sox currently have in the White Sox system to play temporarily.

I was just thinking of what the sox would do if Crede does have to go down for an extended period. I like Ozuna, he has a quality bat off the bench with some speed. He is also a pretty decent SS. However I think most of us would agree he is well below average at 3b, almost below Norton (Norton could at least pick it, he just couldn't throw). Instead of the idea of platooning Blum and Ozuna how about using Uribe at 3rd when Blum doesn't play and put Ozuna at SS on those days, a position he is far more comfortable at.

I like that idea rather than Ozuna or one of the other in-house backups (Norton, Burke, Fields) playing 3b.

If they do go out of the system, I don't really have a problem with either Aurilia or Alfonso.

I hope though this is just a mild health problem and Crede won't have to go on the DL.

mcp5185
08-26-2005, 02:36 AM
If Crede does go down for a long period of time, I feel Blum is our only option to replace him. We still have Ozuna who can play a few positions. Also Iguchi will still get his normal rest days, because Willie Harris will most likely be called up. I know a lot of people don't like Willie but I'd rather him than Norton, and I'd rather suffer through a few games of Willie, than burn out Iguchi before the playoffs.

JB98
08-26-2005, 03:13 AM
Podsednik's 54 stolen bases do not change the fact that his hitting style is slap-happy and powerless, which is similar to Burroughs. I wasn't comparing them as players in the slightest. I also don't think this year has a bearing on his career, as I can name a couple of players on this team that have slumped for worse than .255 for around 1/2 a year. I'm not going to make a concerted opinion on him, like I said before, because I haven't seen him play defense. If he's worse defensively than Blum, this whole argument is moot. The need is for a third baseman that can start every game and play solid defense in order to keep Blum in the super-utility role to spell Iguchi/Konerko. This is all assuming Crede is out for a long time, and we have no idea on that either, so I am reserving my judgment on any moves until I know more about Crede's injury and Burroughs' defense.

I can live with Podsednik's hitting style being slap-happy and powerless because every single turns into a double or a triple with that speed. Not so Burroughs.

I'm not worried about the need to spell Iguchi and Konerko. Ozuna can play 2B, and Harris will be recalled when the rosters expand next week. If Crede goes on the DL, rest assured that Gload will be recalled immediately. He'd serve as the backup to Paulie.

I don't see anyone outside the organization worth trading for. Aurilia is on the downside of his career and not much of an improvement (if any) over what we have. Alfonzo's contract is an albatross. If Crede's out, it's a big loss, but I'll roll the dice with what we have.

Banix12
08-26-2005, 03:37 AM
I don't see anyone outside the organization worth trading for. Aurilia is on the downside of his career and not much of an improvement (if any) over what we have. Alfonzo's contract is an albatross. If Crede's out, it's a big loss, but I'll roll the dice with what we have.

I agree with you that Aurilia is on the downside of his career but if Crede is out for a prolonged period the sox would only need him for a few months at the most and he's actually having a fairly decent year in Cincinatti.

GM 86 AB 323 AVG .276 OBP .332 HR 13

He has seven errors and his range isn't what it used to be. He is nowhere close to the player he was in San Fransisco but he's got a cheap contract and he is available. And if Blum actually does become the everyday 3rd baseman the sox would likely need to grab up another experienced utility infielder anyway.

Alfonso's contract does make him untradeable but I don't really have a problem with Aurilia coming in as a 25th man. Better than Willie.

Wsoxmike59
08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
I too have some scary flashback periods remembering the Greg Norton era in Wsox baseball, however I feel Greg is deserving of a shot at the 3B postion given his solid year at AAA Charlotte.

Norton is hitting .293 with 15 HR & 51 RBI in 80 games this year for the Knights.

When Norton was drafted he was noted more for his defense than his offense by the scouts that watched him.

I have no problem with Geoff Blum and Pablo Ozuna sharing time to finish the year out at 3B. But part of me would like to see Norton get a look/see at 3B too, he's earned it.

Palehose13
08-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Sportscenter update made it sound like Crede will be gone long term. While this may make some people happy, I(and I'm sure the Sox pitching staff) will miss Joe's glove very much. IMO, the only real option (within the organization) as a replacement for the Sox right now is Blum. Ozuna is a butcher at third base. I'd like to see a trade for a serviceable (read: not a big name) third baseman. I would like to see a decent glove and at least a mediocre stick. I'm not too picky, I wouldn't mind most of the names that have been thrown out.

brewcrew/chisox
08-26-2005, 09:54 AM
God I hope they don't go after Wes Helms. He cleared waivers. The guy has been hitting well for the Brewers this year but he is an absolute BUTCHER in the field.

Do not do it Kenny.

Oh, and shut up Bruce Levine

harwar
08-26-2005, 10:18 AM
Sportscenter update made it sound like Crede will be gone long term. While this may make some people happy, I(and I'm sure the Sox pitching staff) will miss Joe's glove very much.

Yes,i lost count of the runs that Joe has prevented from scoring because he made yet another great defensive play at 3rd.
Lets face it,the guy has real trouble at the plate,but there is no one that i would rather have at 3rd during the post-season.
What we are is great pitching and great defense and just enough hitting.

JimH
08-26-2005, 10:50 AM
God I hope they don't go after Wes Helms. He cleared waivers. The guy has been hitting well for the Brewers this year but he is an absolute BUTCHER in the field.

Do not do it Kenny.

Oh, and shut up Bruce Levine

Has Levine been talking about Wes Helms this morning?

Also of interest, it was rumored the White Sox were talking to Rich Aurelia last winter about the utility spot but Aurelia wanted a situation with more playing time, hence Cincinnati. He's nothing special but it wouldn't surprise me if they brought him in.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Where's Ed Spezio when you need him??? LOL

Lip

kitekrazy
08-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I like Blum. Watching that slide yesterday shows his head is always in the game and he's good on the bases. That's traditionally not a White Sox trademark.

brewcrew/chisox
08-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Has Levine been talking about Wes Helms this morning?

No he wasn't. I'm just being preemptive. :D:

Fake Chet Lemon
08-26-2005, 12:19 PM
It seems that the Sox just haven't been able to get healthy since Frank went down...just one nagging injury after another. I hope the finger isn't broken because that's generally four to six weeks if I remember correctly. It would be a shame if they got Posednik back and promptly lost Crede.

Lip

It's happening to everyone though. That time of the year. Look at what the Cards just lost, ouch!

infohawk
08-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Sportscenter update made it sound like Crede will be gone long term. While this may make some people happy, I(and I'm sure the Sox pitching staff) will miss Joe's glove very much. IMO, the only real option (within the organization) as a replacement for the Sox right now is Blum. Ozuna is a butcher at third base. I'd like to see a trade for a serviceable (read: not a big name) third baseman. I would like to see a decent glove and at least a mediocre stick. I'm not too picky, I wouldn't mind most of the names that have been thrown out.

Kenny's gonna make a deal for Eric Chavez. Book it!

Palehose13
08-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Kenny's gonna make a deal for Eric Chavez. Book it!

I'm sure that's what some people will be screaming for. IMO, Blum is currently the best option. But I would like to see KW go out and get an average third baseman. No one spectacular. Just someone that won't kill you with his glove and will hit over .250. Is that expecting too much?

mdep524
08-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, this is a pretty big if, but we could try to get Vizquel from the Giants and then move Uribe to 3rd. Uribe looked good at third the times he played there. We went through all the Vizquel rumors before the deadline, but if the Giants give up on this season (although they wont - horrible NL West, Barroids coming back) Vizquel is a guarantee to clear waivers. All the contending teams have shortstops sans Minn, and they wouldn't take on his contract. Just something to keep in the back of your heads. Yes!!! Yesss!!! Took the words right out of my mouth, OR. This is BY FAR the best move the Sox could make to improve their team.

ALDS Game One batting line up:

Podsednik LF
Vizquel SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand CF
Uribe 3B

The offense actually improves under this scenario, and the defense stays just as strong. KW, Omar is the man we need!

pdimas
08-26-2005, 12:45 PM
Anyone know where or have a link where I can get a list of players who have cleared the waiver wire?

shaunburnette
08-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Podsednik LF
Vizquel SS
Iguchi 2B
Konerko 1B
Everett DH
Dye RF
Pierzynski C
Rowand CF
Uribe 3B

That is a beautiful lineup. Did Vizquel clear waivers? I thought Uribe did a good job at 3B when he played there last year.

mjharrison72
08-26-2005, 01:02 PM
Is there any actual news about Crede yet, or are we all just sitting around speculating about what to do? If there's no news, maybe we should change the thread title?
Why haven't we freaking heard what the X-rays showed? Or does no word on that pretty much mean it's broken?

GoGoOzzie
08-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Is there any actual news about Crede yet, or are we all just sitting around speculating about what to do? If there's no news, maybe we should change the thread title?
Why haven't we freaking heard what the X-rays showed? Or does no word on that pretty much mean it's broken?

I heard on a sportscenter update this morning that the middle finger is broken and Crede is expected to be placed on the disabled list. I haven't been able to find anything official though.

Palehose13
08-26-2005, 01:04 PM

I haven't heard anything yet, but I don't think "no news is good news" here.

mjharrison72
08-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Methinks you are right, PH13. :(:

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 01:28 PM
Like I said earlier, I broke my finger playing baseball two years ago and missed two weeks. It was only a hairline fracture so the length of time depends on the severity. If the finger is shattered, aka pins need to be put in, it could be much worse.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 01:37 PM
I haven't heard anything yet, but I don't think "no news is good news" here.Can Timo play 3B?:wink:

34 Inch Stick
08-26-2005, 02:41 PM
If Dye can play shortstop he can certainly play third. In that way we can get more at bats for Timo.

HotelWhiteSox
08-26-2005, 02:47 PM
The Moose on the Score updates said that there's a chance that a 3B waiver deal may happen soon

Did Lowell clear?

tacosalbarojas
08-26-2005, 02:49 PM
Levine just reported Crede's finger may not be broken after all, and he may only miss a few days. Wait and see I guess.

GoGoOzzie
08-26-2005, 02:58 PM
Levine just reported Crede's finger may not be broken after all, and he may only miss a few days. Wait and see I guess.

Well, this is certianly good news. Hopefully it's just a little banged up and he'll be ok after a few days off. Probably will help his back out too.

Letmehearya
08-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Where's Ed Spezio when you need him??? LOL

Lip

Kevin Bell's knee should be healed by now.

mweflen
08-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Can Timo play 3B?:wink:

Only if they can keep him in the leadoff spot, where he does the most damage.

Read that how you will...

hawkjt
08-26-2005, 03:21 PM
I certainly hope that the next time the twins are in an obvious bunting situation against the sox that the sox pitcher throws right at thier head as Crain did to Joe yesterday. No whining ,just an eye for an eye.

And lets take out Mauer one of these days at home plate also.

TaylorStSox
08-26-2005, 03:24 PM
I certainly hope that the next time the twins are in an obvious bunting situation against the sox that the sox pitcher throws right at thier head as Crain did to Joe yesterday. No whining ,just an eye for an eye.

And lets take out Mauer one of these days at home plate also.

I hope the next time any team is in an obvious bunting situation our pitchers throw at the batter.

MIgrenade
08-26-2005, 03:31 PM

How is he a guarantee to clear waivers? The Twins blocked a Soriano trade with no intention on picking him up, don't you think they would do the same here? Every move is being blocked from what I've heard so don't get your hopes up.

Palehose13
08-26-2005, 03:52 PM

If true, this is great news. However, how long can KW wait? It is August 26th. He doesn't have much time.

TomBradley72
08-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Kevin Bell's knee should be healed by now.

Where's Aurelio Rodriguez or Hugh Yancy when you need them?

wilburaga
08-26-2005, 04:07 PM

I don't understand why it's taken over 24 hours to determine whether Crede's hand or finger is fractured. Seems like it should take a few minutes to develop the x-ray.

W

infohawk
08-26-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't understand why it's taken over 24 hours to determine whether Crede's hand or finger is fractured. Seems like it should take a few minutes to develop the x-ray.W

Might be because of the swelling.

Mr. White Sox
08-26-2005, 04:09 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:bw1VNjQDtoIJ:www.cyranos.ch/sphitch.jpg
"suspense is an important part of baseball."

TaylorStSox
08-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I don't understand why it's taken over 24 hours to determine whether Crede's hand or finger is fractured. Seems like it should take a few minutes to develop the x-ray.

W

I heard he made unofficial error on his way to the hospital. He was lost and they just found him.

08-26-2005, 04:14 PM

W

I broke my leg once and it took 2 days for the doctor to determine a break, swelling and internal damage, first X-rays are always foggy after an injury

enurb
08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Maybe the D-Rays can try to sneak Huff through waivers on more time. I see that the Blue Jays blocked it last time, but their 5.5 games back now with 4 other, better teams ahead of them for the wild card.

We'd take a hit defensively, but Huff would make up for it with his bat and we could make a defensive replacement late in the game.

Ol' No. 2
08-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Maybe the D-Rays can try to sneak Huff through waivers on more time. I see that the Blue Jays blocked it last time, but their 5.5 games back now with 4 other, better teams ahead of them for the wild card.

We'd take a hit defensively, but Huff would make up for it with his bat and we could make a defensive replacement late in the game.You can only pull a player back from waivers once. So if they put him through waivers again and someone claims him (and they will), the D-rays are SOL.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2005, 04:21 PM

We'd take a hit defensively, but Huff would make up for it with his bat and we could make a defensive replacement late in the game.
They dont do it again because a team can only pull a player back from waivers once. Also, KW tried to get a deal for Huff at the deadline, but Tampa was too dumb to deal him although his value was at an all time high (they wont get nearly as much in the offseason). Instead, their buffoon GM LaMar said "I wont give my players away for nothing." BS he asked for the moon, and no sane GM would give in for somone who is a good but not great player. Huff will rot in Tampa for another year.

wilburaga
08-26-2005, 04:26 PM
Where's Aurelio Rodriguez or Hugh Yancy when you need them?

I'd be partial to Lorenzo Gray since he had more power than Yancy (One career jack for Lorenzo, none for HY). Sadly, Aurelio was hit by a car and killed in 2000, so he's no longer an option, though he might be preferable to Norton.

W

Jjav829
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
Might be because of the swelling.

Or, as we speculated with Frank's injury, it might be the Sox are stalling on announcing the results so that Kenny can discuss deals for guys who have cleared waivers without losing a lot of leverage. We'll find out soon.

GAsoxfan
08-26-2005, 04:32 PM
What's Robin Ventura doing these days?

BNLSox
08-26-2005, 04:45 PM

I would unteal this in a second. I'd take an out of shape Robin over half the league and day of the week. I guarantee he'd be clutch in the post and would be a joy to have on the team.

Come out of retirement and win one with us Robin!

The Cheat
08-26-2005, 06:26 PM
ESPN 1000 is now reporting that Joe Crede has a hairline fracture in his finger. Now word as to what the decision regarding DL time or who to call up at this point.

tstrike2000
08-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Like #2 said, Blum is serviceable and that's it. I think he's an adequate glove, but definitely not gold glove caliber like Crede almost is and is a career .250 hitter, which is similar to Crede. However, Blum has less power than Crede hitting 10 HR's twice and 11 once. Crede will get around 20HR at least.

tstrike2000
08-26-2005, 06:41 PM
I would unteal this in a second. I'd take an out of shape Robin over half the league and day of the week. I guarantee he'd be clutch in the post and would be a joy to have on the team.

Come out of retirement and win one with us Robin!

Maybe Vance Law can come out too.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe Vance Law can come out too.

Didn't Spanky also fill in at 3B for a few games?

shaunburnette
08-26-2005, 11:01 PM
SEATTLE -- The banged-up White Sox got some more painful information Friday when X-rays revealed that third baseman Joe Crede has a stress fracture in the tip of the middle finger on his right hand.

Says he can be back in maybe a week, possibly more. Not the whole year though for sure.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050826&content_id=1184829&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

StillMissOzzie
08-27-2005, 02:06 AM
I certainly looks like it's official that Crede has a fractured finger. Thanks, Crain!

If Hawk is in fact the unofficial mouthpiece for JR & KW, then we can expect Blum to get a lot more playing time, as he staetd during tonight's game. If there is no deal forthcoming, I'll go along with Banix12 and make Jamie Burke a callup as Blum's backup.

SMO
:(:

FarWestChicago
08-27-2005, 02:09 AM
I certainly looks like it's official that Crede has a fractured finger. Thanks, Crain!<shoota>Yes!!!!! Yesssss!!!!!! This is it. The Sox are guaranteed to win the next 78 World Series!!! We all know Crede was the only thing keeping us from Galactic Domination!! Woooo!! Wooooo!!</shoota>

chisox117
08-27-2005, 02:12 AM
Says he can be back in maybe a week, possibly more. Not the whole year though for sure.

Here's to a speedy recovery for Joe!:gulp:

mcp5185
08-27-2005, 03:13 AM

Actually today on Jim Rome's radio show he was interviewing Todd Zeile. Zeile and Ventura were good buddies when they played. Zeile said Ventura has become a professional vacationer since retiring, and has not returned his calls. I don't know what kind of shape he's in, but I would still be all for giving him a look.

ode to veeck
08-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Question for Shoota, since its only a hairline fracture ... does it count? :redneck