PDA

View Full Version : Lyle Overbay?

brewcrew/chisox
08-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I'm going to post this here and no in "What's the Score" because I'm not trying to start a rumor about the Sox getting him. However, during the trading deadline, quite a few people on this site were enamored with the guy. Overbay has been pretty productive for the Brewers and FWIW, was a really nice pickup in the Richie Sexton trade. However, if PK isn't resigned and the Sox are interested in aquiring the guy, I don't know if this would be the greatest move. Here is a post from a guy on Brewerfan.net that kind of puts his 'worth' into perspective.

FYI, Lyle is currently 7th out of 10 NL qualifying 1B in OPS, and 11th out of 22 in MLB

Here are the 6 NL 1 basemen with a higher OPS than Lyle:
...........OPS....Salary
1: Lee: 1.124, $7,666,667
2: Pujols: 1.045, $11,000,000
3: Delgado: 962, $4,000,000 (must have gotten a huge signing bonus)
4: Helton: 923, $12,600,000
5: Johnson: 901,$1,450,000
6: Tracy: 853, $335,000
7: Overbay: 818, $446,000

Overbay currently has 16 HRs and 61RBI, but with a 279 average.
Konerko? 32HRs, and 79RBI and is batting .272

So with PK, you get more power and more RBI, the big thing here then I guess is salary.

Thing is, the Brewers are most likely going to deal the guy with Prince Fielder waiting in the wings. I could really see the Sox being interested in him for the price, but I don't know if he'd be a good pickup.

Is Overbay OOOOOOOOOOverrated? Perhaps not with the Brewers this year and last but with the Sox next year, he may be.

Discuss if you wish

Mod's please move this if this isn't the right place to post

Banix12
08-25-2005, 11:27 PM
I follow the Brewers and I do like Lyle Overbay quite a bit. I just think in many ways we need the power that Paulie provides in the middle of the lineup so ideally looking at the available 1b this offseason resigning him would be my first choice.

If overbay is batting .333 or whatever he batted last year he would not be overrated, however we are all not sure if that is a fluke and if he puts up numbers like he is doing this year in a Sox uniform it would be a dissapointment. Regardless he would be far closer to being a Mark Grace type than the middle of the order hitter the sox would need out of a 1b.

Also if you look around the league or in the minors you can find a lot of guys very similar to overbay, he's nothing too special, just a solid player

Also if the sox make a run at Overbay they would definitely need a new DH, someone who can stay healthy and put up large numbers

chaerulez
08-26-2005, 08:59 AM
With Overbay's salary, he wouldn't clear waivers to the Sox. A team in the NL would probably pick up him if anything.

Also I doubt Delgado got a signing bonus. Signing bonuses really only happen in the NFL because they don't have guranteed contracts. Delgado's contract must either be backloaded or deferred money. There is really point in a player getting a signing bonus unless he really wants some money up front for some reason.

brewcrew/chisox
08-26-2005, 09:14 AM
With Overbay's salary, he wouldn't clear waivers to the Sox. A team in the NL would probably pick up him if anything.

Also I doubt Delgado got a signing bonus. Signing bonuses really only happen in the NFL because they don't have guranteed contracts. Delgado's contract must either be backloaded or deferred money. There is really point in a player getting a signing bonus unless he really wants some money up front for some reason.

That signing bonus thing was actually from the quote, and I agree with you. I don't know why the guy put that signing bonus thing there.

As far as signing Overbay, I wasn't really thinking about him clearing waivers this year either. I was just looking at his stats and thought about where he'd be during the off season since he's most likely going to be traded somewhere.

FedEx227
08-26-2005, 01:19 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yeah he is pretty overrated, all those people that said trading him for Paulie are ridiculous, yes hes got a lower salary, but its not like we're paying mad-amounts of luxury tax so dumping salary for a lesser of two players doesn't make sense...