PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota- who went?

soxwon
08-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I didnt see a thread on this.
Who went to the Metrodome?
Give your impressions, of it.
Also how were the fans, and city?

ChicagoHoosier
08-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I didn't go to this series, but I've been to the Metrodome before and really thought it was a boring place to watch a game. It felt very sterile. Maybe if it was a huge game, like when the Twinkies won the WS, then it could get really loud and crazy. But for the game I went to about 4-5 years ago, very boring place to watch a game. Maybe baseball isn't meant to be played indoors. Retractable roof stadiums sure have helped that out.

Minneapolis as a town is pretty cool, especially if you like to run or hang out outside. Good summer town. I thankfully didn't have to work or live there in the winter.

likeawarlord
08-25-2005, 07:22 PM
i've been to a few games in mpls before, the metrodome is an awful place to see a ballgame. it feels like youre in a warehouse. the twins ad campaign even acknowledges this ("the dome isn't great, but we're getting a new stadium soon!").

furthermore, the fans hate the white sox more than you can imagine. before i started driving up to watch games here last summer i didn't really have anything against the twins, considering how often they beat us. spending time here with people who have such a powerful hatred of the sox it's hard not to hate the damn twins.

the city, on ther other hand, is very neat. nice lakes, dense downtown area with good eating.

C-Dawg
08-25-2005, 09:31 PM
I've only been there in the spring; I can't imagine sitting in there during a day game in the summer. Around the 5th inning I'd have to go outside and get some sunlight.

The place really has a dated look to it. Maybe it was state-of-the-art when it opened, but it certainly isn't anymore. My favorite part was walking through the narrow little doors to get to the stairs down to my seat - if they had a fire drill there people would be crushed trying to jam their way through those doors.

cleanwsox
08-26-2005, 12:50 AM
I was there Tuesday and Wednesday. Been to the dome a bunch and it doesn't really get any better the more you go. You can never understand the PA guy because of the damn echoes. I also get sick of how loud it gets in there since it really isn't the crowd going crazy since the echoes multiply the loudness X2, so basically 30,000 sounds like 60,000. You can imagine a Vikings game, it's pretty ridicoulous how loud it gets.

Twins fans are always pretty nice. You get the looks like you do in any other park when you are rooting for the road team, but they are never obnoxious. Most of them were looking at the scores for the wild card teams and commenting on how those affected the Twins chances. Anyway, wish I could of attended today's game but you can only get out of work so many times.

Looking forward to the September series up here, hopefully the magic number is under 10 by then.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Even though I live in Minnesota, I just can't bring myself to go there. It is absolutely depressing to watch a baseball game there. For those who think blue seats look bad in our park, you should see them in a gray concrete bowl with a gray ceiling.

The only part I miss is the fun-park ride of being blown out of the doors when you leave. Seriously, hold on tight!

ChiSoxRowand
08-26-2005, 01:59 AM
i've been to a few games in mpls before, the metrodome is an awful place to see a ballgame. it feels like youre in a warehouse. the twins ad campaign even acknowledges this ("the dome isn't great, but we're getting a new stadium soon!").

furthermore, the fans hate the white sox more than you can imagine. before i started driving up to watch games here last summer i didn't really have anything against the twins, considering how often they beat us. spending time here with people who have such a powerful hatred of the sox it's hard not to hate the damn twins.

the city, on ther other hand, is very neat. nice lakes, dense downtown area with good eating.

Are they officially getting a new stadium?

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2005, 02:06 AM
Are they officially getting a new stadium?No. It's by no means settled. The state legislature has to approve a special sales tax that Hennepin County wants to levy to fund it, and so far they've ducked it, knowing that it's a political loser. Every study has shown that Minnesotans oppose tax funding of a new stadium. They'll have to vote eventually, but it's still up in the air.

mcp5185
08-26-2005, 02:24 AM
I went to the Metrodome for the first time in April, I was at the game where Garland got his first win of the year. It just isn't the same watching a game indoors. I was there in a large group that consisted of White Sox, Twins and Cubs fans. All in all it was a crappy stadium, but still an enjoyable game.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-26-2005, 02:27 AM
No. It's by no means settled. The state legislature has to approve a special sales tax that Hennepin County wants to levy to fund it, and so far they've ducked it, knowing that it's a political loser. Every study has shown that Minnesotans oppose tax funding of a new stadium. They'll have to vote eventually, but it's still up in the air.

Keep fighting Pohlad. 58% are against it and the government is trying to sneak it by without the required referendum on the sales tax increase. This sorry sack of garbarge tried to fold his team aided and abetted by Bud (who borrowed money from Pohlad which is against the rules of baseball) to make a couple hundred million. Pohlad is 90, is a billionaire and battles Wirtz for the title of worst owner.

TheOldRoman
08-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Keep fighting Pohlad. 58% are against it and the government is trying to sneak it by without the required referendum on the sales tax increase. This sorry sack of garbarge tried to fold his team aided and abetted by Bud (who borrowed money from Pohlad which is against the rules of baseball) to make a couple hundred million. Pohlad is 90, is a billionaire and battles Wirtz for the title of worst owner.
The more I heard on the subject, the clearer it became that Selig's whole "I want to contract the Twins" thing was a ploy to get them a new stadium. It didn't work, and it made him look like even more of an ass to the public.

As for Pohlad being worse than Wirtz, and least Pohlad has hired competant people to run his bussiness. Wirtz has hired nothing but puppets lately.

ma-gaga
08-26-2005, 11:39 AM
if they had a fire drill there people would be crushed trying to jam their way through those doors.

Gawd, I wish they would burn the place to the ground.

Seriously though, it's concrete and plastic. There's almost nothing combustible to burn. Maybe if the entire roof went on fire and was collapsing... but, that is almost impossible unless the entire inside was ablaze.

The more I heard on the subject, the clearer it became that Selig's whole "I want to contract the Twins" thing was a ploy to get them a new stadium. It didn't work, and it made him look like even more of an ass to the public.

Yep. And it's just unclear how this thing is going to end. I truthfully don't know. My gut says that ONE of the Vikings/Twins leaves the Twin Cities in the next 10 years, and THEN the "leaders" of the state/city build 2 new stadiums. It's silly, but I've been told that history likes to repeat itself.

Or Pohlad dies, and it gets done. Carl Pohlad won't see a red cent from the state. His family might. But old Carl won't.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
I've been to about 10 games in the dome (family in MN, my dad is a huge Twins fan (although the Sox are his second favorite team b/c of the way the play...go figure).

It is by far the worst stadium in baseball. The things was built for football, for which it really isn't bad. I went to a Bears Vikes game there last year (the game Rex died) and it is LOUD and the site lines are good for the purpose.

However, for baseball it is attrocious. The seats face parrallel to the football set-up so you acutally have to turn yourself to see the field. Unreal. Plus, every time I've been there there have been like 10,000 people in the HUGE stadium...pretty depressing atmosphere to watch a game.

Minneapolis itself is a pretty nice city, although its traffic is almost as bad as Chicago's. St. Paul is dead, however.

cleanwsox
08-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Minneapolis itself is a pretty nice city, although its traffic is almost as bad as Chicago's. St. Paul is dead, however.

St. Paul definitely needs a kick in the butt to get going. However, with the NHL back on, it should get a boost with the Wild playing there. Although, I would have to disagree and say traffic is much worse in Chicago than Minneapolis. It's only somewhat bad during rush hour, but nothing compared to the crap I have been through in Chicago.

UofCSoxFan
08-26-2005, 12:26 PM
All I know is everytime I've been there during rush hour it has been a nightmare...but Chicago's is a disaster as well....and never stops...so maybe you are right.

Either way, neither is good.

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Traffic's not even close. I've been on 494 during rush hour several times. There were a lot of cars, but things were still moving along at 40-45 MPH. I've never seen that on Chicago expressways.

I remember when Ventura was pushing the "little train to nowhere" (light rail) concept, he took a bunch of reporters out in a bus during rush hour to demonstrate how bad traffic was, in an attempt to prove that more mass transit was needed. The drove around for a couple of hours trying to find a traffic jam to get caught up in, and couldn't find one.

tacosalbarojas
08-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Count me among those who don't care for the Rollerdome (coach Ditka, holla!). It's especially bad when you're there on a sunshiny bright summer day - as someone else earlier in this thread noted - it makes you feel like you want to go outside and get some fresh air.

Chips
08-28-2005, 02:59 AM
I was in Minnesota for work every other week this month and last and the traffic on 494 sucked. I don't know if I was on the wrong side of town or what, but the bars I went to were all expensive. 4.75 for a draft beer? Ridiculous, but I love expense reports.

SOXSINCE'70
08-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Looking forward to the September series up here, hopefully the magic number is under 10 by then.

It may very well happen that weekend.I just don't want to see
the same outcome I saw when the Sox clinched there in 2000
(a 3 and out performance in the ALDS).It would be great payback
as the Twins clinched in Chicago last season and in 2003,IIRC.

chisoxmike
08-28-2005, 08:34 PM
From 95-98 my Dad lived in Minnesota, so everytime we would visit, we went to a Twins game, which was when the Twins were the bottom dwealers of the AL Central. So I saw a lot of bad baseball.

The dome is a horrible place to watch a game. They didn't know what a funnel cake was!!!!!! One poster said that the best part about the stadium was being blown out the doors after the game, which was true. It could knock you over!

I saw the Sox take on the Twins at the end of the 95 season and the Sox crushed the Twins that night. Probably the only good memory from that stadium. Well, besides the Lemonade...its amazing!