PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/25/2005 Sox win despite the Umpires Postgame Thread

FielderJones
08-25-2005, 03:55 PM
:winner

Masterful job by Garland, mickey mouse job by the umpiring crew.

:timo:
"Hey WSI, how about showing some love today?" :gulp:

NSSoxFan
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

:bandance: :bandance: :bandance:

soltrain21
Bobby makes people look stupid. I love it.

TaylorStSox
08-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Nasty!

Palehose13
This team sucks.

HotelWhiteSox
Thataboy Jenks! Sox overcome horrible umpiring and win a close one

Tough luck series for SP, Garland should be at about 18 wins now

ChiSoxlukes
08-25-2005, 03:57 PM
Does anybody know the correct ruling on Konerko's ball he missed??? Should that have been a foul ball?

cheeses_h_rice
Paul, the next time the ump blows a call and the ball is still live...please take your head out of your ass.

Thanks.

Great game by JG, robbed again by the umps. This is getting old.

But major kudos to the Sox's bats and Timo for winning it before we went to 16 innings again.

Suck it, Twinkies.

winning ugly 72
THAT WAS A FOUL BALL!!! whatever SOX WIN

Patrick134
The only bad thing about this win was Jon deserved a W. And all the Timo/Blum bashers get trounced once again.

TaylorStSox
Sox overcome some horrible 9th inning defense. :cool:

Rocky Soprano
This place would of been nuts had we lost.

Garland this one is for you. :gulp:
Jenks this one is for you. :gulp:

Konerko, sorry I could not find a pacifier.

SoxFanSince67
That's three out of the last four!

chisoxmike
:hawk
"HE GONE!"

What a ****ty job by the first base umpire. But a last... the Sox prevail again!

:jon
"What does a guy have to do to get a win around here?"

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

Madvora
BOBBY
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/08/09/NOHLCoFi.jpg
JENKS !

elrod
This was a big character win. It reminded me of Game Two of the NLDS in 2000 when Armando Benitez gave up a 3-run home run in the bottom of the 9th to J.T. Snow to tie it. But then Payton knocked in the go-ahead run in the top of the 10th and the Mets held on to beat the Giants. The Mets blew the lead in the bottom of the 9th, but bounced back to win anyway. From there they want right on to the World Series.

soltrain21
Does anybody know the correct ruling on Konerko's ball he missed??? Should that have been a foul ball?

Not a doubt in anyone's mind that it wasn't a foul ball. It was a clear call.

Hitmen77
08-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I guess our "toxic number" stays at 40 for now. :tongue:

zach23
The division lead is growing.

The magic number is shrinking.

:tongue:

The Racehorse
Congrats to Jenks in getting his first MLB save... here's to many more Big Guy! :gulp:

Brian26
Wow, does it feel good to win a series.

Current AL Central lead = 8.5 games.

Magic Number is 29.

:bandance:

DaveIsHere
08-25-2005, 03:59 PM
We still suck

Iwritecode
After that play in the ninth I started thinking about that freak game the Twins won last year when the catcher had his wrist broken from the guy sliding in or something like that...

soltrain21
Does anybody else say "Bobby Jenks" name really fast like I do whenever he comes in?

I try to put the Rick James "Charlie Murphy" spin on it, too.

Jjav829
This was a big character win. It reminded me of Game Two of the NLDS in 2000 when Armando Benitez gave up a 3-run home run in the bottom of the 9th to J.T. Snow to tie it. But then Payton knocked in the go-ahead run in the top of the 10th and the Mets held on to beat the Giants. The Mets blew the lead in the bottom of the 9th, but bounced back to win anyway. From there they want right on to the World Series.

There is no comparison between this regular season game and a playoff game.

ChiSoxlukes
We still suck

Is that supposed to be teal?

LVSoxFan
A couple of things; I didn't see the game.

a) Thank you all for your play-by-play on the game threads--it is truly one of the more exciting ways to hear about a game in progress when I can't watch. No kidding. I love it and the way everybody here updates it. It's a nail-biter to read.

b) How was Hermie? He seems off his game of late but I can't tell if today he blew the save or it was a horrific call? What was the play, and what did the replay show? Was it a so-so performance for Hermie, or did he just get screwed by the ump?

c) Jenks is AWESOME. Love that guy.

TaylorStSox
Not a doubt in anyone's mind that it wasn't a foul ball. It was a clear call.

Foul or not, it should have been caught. Also, crying to the ump while the play was going on is unacceptable. To make it worse, he drops the relay throw that would have been a sure out at the plate.

Nice job by Hermanson to overcome the poor D.

Jenks is filthy.

miker
08-25-2005, 04:00 PM
To win games, sometimes you have to not just beat the other team, but the umps, and not beat yourself.

This was a good win. :gulp:

The Dude
:timo:
"Hey WSI, how about showing some love today?" :gulp:

No. His 3 or 4 clutch hits per year is the only reason he's on the team.

But nice series win for our Sox!

soltrain21
After that play in the ninth I started thinking about that freak game the Twins won last year when the catcher had his wrist broken from the guy sliding in or something like that...

Yep, Bengie Molina. A gold glove catcher and that happens. Seems like the Twin's luck has finally run out.

CarlosMay'sThumb
Great pitching by Garland!:D:

Ozzie - please, please, please let Hermanson start the ninth for once. Also, put Blum at third and leave Crede on the bench permanently.:mad:

I know, I know - no criticism of the Sox after a win. I know, I know. :cool:

NWSox
Somebody mentioned on the game thread, but a real character win for the Sox. These are the kind of games the Twins win, but the team came back with a great 10th inning. Great job by Blum and Perez in the 10th, in addition to JG and Jenks.

I know JG deserved a win, but everyone knows what he did today. W-L doesn't matter if the Sox win.

CanBuehrleWait
Boy is that kid stones. Comes in extra innings of a huge game and gets em 1-2-3. This kid is looks like the goods... what a under the radar move Kenny. Mad props to Jon as well for pitching his butt off. Go sox!:gulp:

mcp5185
08-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Great job by Garland today, but it was wasted by the umpires.

Nice job by the guys to rally in the 10th and still get this victory.

Garland :bandance:

Jenks :bandance:

Timo :bandance:

:bandance: 1st place White Sox :bandance:

*keeps hand up*

DogFood
this thread title is misleading! sounds like we lost

Irishsox1
Alright!!! That was a huge win! With Stewart, Jones and Hunter out, the Sox needed to win 2 out of 3 from these jerks.

My game ball goes to Jon Garland. They guy deserved the win, pitched great but has nothing to show for it. I'm sure he'll take the win anyday.

SOXPHILE
Whew ! Pass the Tums ! 2 out of 3 from the Twinks.

By the way, I heard a replay on the Score,- did Hawk yell out "D---!" on the Konerko play ?

miker
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
How was Hermie? He seems off his game of late but I can't tell if today he blew the save or it was a horrific call? What was the play, and what did the replay show? Was it a so-so performance for Hermie, or did he just get screwed by the ump?
He seemed fine, but if the ump makes the right call, he's still got to get Ryan out.

Risk
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Great win, even when the umpire did his best to screw it up.

Risk

Madvora
08-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Hmmm... Hermanson with two recent blown saves and Jenks picking up his first tonight.

That's going to start some fights on the board for the next week.

I'm still with sticking with Hermanson though. Nice to have Bobby step it up though.

Cowch44
Way to go Bobby Jenks!! Congrats on the 1st Save. Kudos to Blum, too!! :D:

This was a great win, to have it snatched away in the 9th and come right back in the 10th and snatch it back!!:cool:

soxfanreggie
When does Jenks become the closer? He is improving and improving. I could see him closing in Sept.

bluestar

Yes, it was a foul ball, and the call should have been made by the home plate umpire. The first base umpire ruled that Konerko touched the ball in fair territory, but the ball had not reached first base yet. It was not the first base umpire's call to make, and it was a foul ball. It wasn't a difficult call to see or make, the first base umpire made the wrong call, and the home plate umpire didn't have the guts (or whatever) to overrule him and make the correct call.

It was pathetic, and it cost Garland a win.

shes
08-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Gotta feel bad for Jon. 20 wins is a big milestone for any pitcher in a season, and it's now becoming more and more unlikely that he'll reach it. Important thing is that we sucked it up and came right back after the horrendous call in the 9th.

As an aside, is anyone else baffled at Ozzie's constant decisions to bring in Marte (who lefties are murdering) instead of Cotts? It almost always seems to end in Marte getting pulled after giving up a hit or walk that will eventually lead to a run. Perhaps he has the same pictures that Timo does.

Bobby Jenks. :gulp::gulp::gulp:

If Hermanson can't pitch a full inning b/c of his back, the ball should go to Jenks to start the ninth. I think he proved today that he can handle the pressure.

Wsoxmike59
08-25-2005, 04:05 PM

A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair territory touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes out of the playing field in flight. A fair fly shall be judged according to the relative position of the ball and the foul line, including the foul pole, and not as to whether the fielder is on fair or foul territory at the time he touches the ball. If a fly ball lands in the infield between home and first base, or home and third base, and then bounces to foul territory without touching a player or umpire and before passing first or third base, it is a foul ball; or if the ball settles on foul territory or is touched by a player on foul territory, it is a foul ball. If a fly ball lands on or beyond first or third base and then bounces to foul territory, it is a fair hit. Clubs, increasingly, are erecting tall foul poles at the fence line with a wire netting extending along the side of the pole on fair territory above the fence to enable the umpires more accurately to judge fair and foul balls.

infohawk
That's three wins out of the last four games. The momentum continues to grow! Anyone notice how this was kind of a bizarro series? During the last series, Cuddyer ties the game in the ninth off of Hermy. Yesterday, Hermy gets Cuddyer to make the final out with the game on the line in the bottom of the ninth. Last week Hermy blows a save and the Sox lose in extras. Today, Hermy blows the save and the Sox go on to WIN in extra innings. Hopefully this will help to silence the "we can't beat the Twins in the second half" crowd.

LVSoxFan
That's what I'm asking. If the double was due to a blown call, then Hermie really didn't blow a save then, did he?

halfpricemonday
08-25-2005, 04:06 PM
And the White Sox finally win another series. It seems like forever since we could talk about a series win.

Patrick134
While this was technically a blown save, Hermy didn't do a bad job at all, especially striking out the guy after the bad call when the count strted 3-0. You can't walk guys in the 9th Marte.

Sxy Mofo

I know, that "sox win" title is confusing. :D:

DogFood
umps screwed us and then helped us

Madvora

It says "Sox Win" right in the title

DogFood
08-25-2005, 04:07 PM

the main thread title was "thanks for nothing, umpires!" and someone changed it.

chisoxmike
08-25-2005, 04:08 PM
That's what I'm asking. If the double was due to a blown call, then Hermie really didn't blow a save then, did he?
But, umpire stupidity doesn't have an effect on stats, too bad.:D:

LVSoxFan
08-25-2005, 04:09 PM
No I know it doesn't change his STATS, but: did he really blow the save, or was it just a bad call?

Sounds like it was just a bad call, so in reality, he didn't really blow a save, did he?

The Dude
umps screwed us and then helped us

They didnt help us, they just made the right call on the Blum play. I wouldnt call it helping us unless it was a bad call that went our way.

RallyBowl
:timo: "I'm clutch and you all know it. Just stop the haterizing."

chisoxmike
08-25-2005, 04:11 PM
No I know it doesn't change his STATS, but: did he really blow the save, or was it just a bad call?

Sounds like it was just a bad call, so in reality, he didn't really blow a save, did he?

If the call was made correctly, the run doesn't cross the plate. But, the call was made, a obvious bad call and the run scored. Sox up 1-0 before, then tied 1-1. It's a blown save no matter how it happend.

So, no but yes to the blown save. It's bad luck.

Cowch44
08-25-2005, 04:12 PM

The first title of the thread was "Take that, Dark Clouds" or something like that, as if that's the reason we should rejoice in a White Sox win.

Madvora
08-25-2005, 04:12 PM
We're going against that Felix kid in the Seattle series. You know how we are against rookies... and this one's actually good too.
I hope they break that trend and really get rolling here.

shes
08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
Gotta feel bad for Jon. 20 wins is a big milestone for any pitcher in a season, and it's now becoming more and more unlikely that he'll reach it. Important thing is that we sucked it up and came right back after the horrendous call in the 9th.

As an aside, is anyone else baffled at Ozzie's constant decisions to bring in Marte (who lefties are murdering) instead of Cotts? It almost always seems to end in Marte getting pulled after giving up a hit or walk that will eventually lead to a run. Perhaps he has the same pictures that Timo does.

Bobby Jenks. :gulp::gulp::gulp:

If Hermanson can't pitch a full inning b/c of his back, the ball should go to Jenks to start the ninth. I think he proved today that he can handle the pressure.

RallyBowl
08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
When does Jenks become the closer? He is improving and improving. I could see him closing in Sept.
Wow that was fast. Give Hermanson a break, will ya? If anything, Jenks should be handed the "start the ninth when our real closer should be in" job that Pollitte and Marte have thanklessly been screwing up.

Kogs35
08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
nice win boys despite the ump screwing garland :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

UofCSoxFan
Pitching great....the thing is the umps may have cost Garland the win...but what can't be lost in this is that it shouldn't have come down to that call. Again we had plenty of opportunities to score and increase the margin. If we are up 3-0 no one says more than two sentences about the call. This offense needs to get it going because asking our pitchers to give up only 1 or 2 runs a game is not a logical demand.

Finally nice to see some guys (Timo, Jenks) step up.

JGarlandrules20
Aw. I was hoping Garland would get his 17th win on my 17th birthday!

Sounds like he pitched great. Good thing I recorded it, I'll have to watch it later. :smile:

08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Great Win...Thank God....Great Pitching all around the whole series...We still need to start hitting, and I agree, Blum at 3rd for the remainder

UofCSoxFan
Aw. I was hoping Garland would get his 17th win on my 17th birthday!

Sounds like he pitched great. Good thing I recorded it, I'll have to watch it later. :smile:

Is there a replay on tonight?

FoulkeFan
Pitching great....the thing is the umps may have cost Garland the win...but what can't be lost in this is that it shouldn't have come down to that call. Again we had plenty of opportunities to score and increase the margin. If we are up 3-0 no one says more than two sentences about the call. This offense needs to get it going because asking our pitchers to give up only 1 or 2 runs a game is not a logical demand.

Finally nice to see some guys (Timo, Jenks) step up.

Ditto. The Sox need to give their pitchers a LITTLE breathing room.

SOXPHILE
08-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Is there a replay on tonight?

I think it's on again tonight at 7 on Comcast.

Mohoney
08-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Getting that huge clutch run in the 10th just might be what helps us turn the corner.

3 out of the last 4.

RallyBowl
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
I'm curious what Mr. HomeFish has to say about thie game and series. I notice he is viewing this thread right now. Any comments?

sullythered
08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
I like Hermie as much as the next guy, but the more Jenks pitches, the more he looks like a shut down type closer.

Wow that was fast. Give Hermanson a break, will ya? If anything, Jenks should be handed the "start the ninth when our real closer should be in" job that Pollitte and Marte have thanklessly been screwing up.

ChiSox14305635
08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
2nd time in about a month JG has handcuffed an AL Central opponent on the road, in the afternoon, for almost 8 innings, and gotten jack squat. Well, at least this time, the team got the win.
Jon: :gulp:
Bobby::gulp:
Timo: :gulp:
Blum: :gulp:
Damaso::angry: (Can you finish an inning without leaving someone on base?)
Paulie::angry: (for yakking with the umps instead of going after the ball, and for striking out with RISP in the 10th).
Dana "Hunter Wendelstedt" DeMuth: :angry: :angry: :angry: (Umps getting involved again)
The Metrodome: :angry: (I hate that place)

mcp5185
08-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Great Win...Thank God....Great Pitching all around the whole series...We still need to start hitting, and I agree, Blum at 3rd for the remainder

2 runs allowed by our starting pitchers in 3 games...that is just awesome.

patbooyah
08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140

dance it up, guys!

chisoxmike
08-25-2005, 04:25 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3140

dance it up, guys!

:twinslose
:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:
:gulp:

ma-gaga
08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
*tips hat*

Nice game. Good series. :cool:

Domeshot17
08-25-2005, 04:26 PM
http://www.thewholesumcompany.com/jpg/church-36.jpg

STICK A FORK IN THEM BECAUSE MINNESOTA IS DONE. GARDENHIRE AND THE PRESS TRYING TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON THE SOX AND WE RESPOND IN A BIG SERIES WIN. RYAN, REDMOND, DEAD AT THE PLATE, AND SO ARE THE TWINS

Go Get Seattle Boys. Geoff Blum, You were worth the 74 mph throwing RP we got you for just on the slide today alone.

Geoff Blum has officially become our Mr. Intangiable, Great Glove, Good Situational Hitter as well as some clutch Ability, Heads up Base Runner and a Good overall Guy.

LETS GO TAMPA BAY, TAKE CARE OF THE TRIBE TONIGHT

CYGarland20
08-25-2005, 04:28 PM
We still suck well our offense sure does, but our pitching is GRRRRRRRRREAT!!! :D:

infohawk
08-25-2005, 04:31 PM
We're going against that Felix kid in the Seattle series. You know how we are against rookies... and this one's actually good too.
I hope they break that trend and really get rolling here.

All hot-shot rookie pitchers, no matter how good, eventually throw some bad games. Let's hope the kid's is against us!!! A kind of "welcome to the League" bad outing.:cool:

MsSoxVixen22
08-25-2005, 04:33 PM
This was a great game to listen to on the radio! Rooney and Farmio were great. This is the kind of game I like to see the Sox play. There were great plays made all around and Timo has really came thru. I'm pretty upset abput one thing-Garland pitched so freaking well he deserves this W. It's such a shame he's been robbed of a W so many times. I think the Sox are finally getting back to playing smartball. And way to come back in extra innings! Now that's the Sox I'm used to seeing! As for Marte, good God what is it gonna take for Ozzie and/KW to get his a$$ outta here! He almost blew the gaem today and last nite. All around way to go Sox! :gulp: to Jenks on his 2st save! Paulie, ***, sometimes I wonder if he knows what the hell is going on. Let's get 'em in Seattle!

:twinslose

SouthSide_HitMen
08-25-2005, 04:33 PM

Think of it positively - It is better for us if we win the game and he doesn't get credit come arbitration time / long term contract time after this season.

infohawk
08-25-2005, 04:35 PM
STICK A FORK IN THEM BECAUSE MINNESOTA IS DONE. GARDENHIRE AND THE PRESS TRYING TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON THE SOX AND WE RESPOND IN A BIG SERIES WIN. RYAN, REDMOND, DEAD AT THE PLATE, AND SO ARE THE TWINS

I wonder if Carl Pohlad is squirming?:D:

Wsoxmike59
08-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I haven't posted this pic in awhile. 3 out of 4, maybe we're starting to get back on a roll. Big Ed, how 'bout rolling out the Big White Machine for a victory lap!

http://users.sdccu.net/hoggy/images/whimachs.jpg

RMSoxFan
08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
I just read on MLB.com that replays showed that the ball stayed fair. Is that true? Also, it said that Ozuna hit for Crede in the middle of the at-bat because Crede was injured. Anyone know what happened?

hawkjt
08-25-2005, 04:37 PM
If the ump makes the right call then Paulie's rbi basehit is the only run of the game. His 80th rbi. Get off his arse, you know where we would be without his bat the last month? Buried.

First base coach made no effort to get out of the way on the play. twins know every angle to win.

Here we go sox.

LVSoxFan
I would not count the Twins out just yet, people. We play them six more times in September. Cleveland also for six.

Great win, but I wouldn't start waving the checkered flag just yet.

Rocky Soprano
I just read on MLB.com that replays showed that the ball stayed fair. Is that true? Also, it said that Ozuna hit for Crede in the middle of the at-bat because Crede was injured. Anyone know what happened?

Crede was HBP and I believe he hurt his wrist.

Wsoxmike59
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM

I never thought the ball was FAIR at any point in its' travels. It appeared to be about 1 foot in foul territory when it hit off Konerko's glove.

SoxSpeed22
08-25-2005, 04:38 PM
Wow that was fast. Give Hermanson a break, will ya? If anything, Jenks should be handed the "start the ninth when our real closer should be in" job that Pollitte and Marte have thanklessly been screwing up.If I was KW or Ozzie, I'd have Dustin go on the DL to rest his back. It's also become abundantly clear that Cotts should be the primary lefty. It's great to finally win a series!:bandance: (159)

JB98
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
LOL. Does anyone actually think Konerko was going to get up, run down into the bullpen and get to the ball in time to throw Rodriguez out at the plate? Konerko is slower than dirt. Blum was going to get there first regardless. We were actually better off with Paulie staying where he was. The problem was he dropped the damn ball on the relay throw. Too bad because the umpire's call and Paulie dropping the ball cost JG his 17th win.

Well, actually, I thought Marte's walk was the most costly play of the inning. This guy always walks people when he's pitching in the ninth, and he was lucky to retire Mauer. I wish Ozzie would either use Cotts or go directly to Hermanson. Or Jenks. That curve ball to strike Bartlett out in the 10th took some balls, and he executed it beautifully.

How about the offensive sequence in the third inning:
Perez: base hit up the middle
Everett: base hit to the opposite field
Konerko: RBI base hit up the middle
No big swings. Just solid fundamental hitting. :supernana:

pdimas
08-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Great Series from our starters. Only 2 earned runs in 3 games! :gulp:

JB98
If I was KW or Ozzie, I'd have Dustin go on the DL to rest his back. It's also become abundantly clear that Cotts should be the primary lefty. It's great to finally win a series!:bandance: (159)

I've read the Sox don't think rest will do Hermy's back any good. He might need surgery after the year to fix the problem. Regardless, I'm sure the Sox medical team will make the proper decision. If they think it will be beneficial to shut him down, I'm sure they will. That's what they did with Pods.

You couldn't be more right about Cotts. I've said it several times on this board, and I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record. Marte's walks drive me crazy. The base on balls provides life for the other team's offense. I'd rather see a solo HR than a walk. I hate pitchers who beat themselves. If the other team hits the ball, I can live with that.

Lip Man 1
According to the White Sox web site a story quotes Hermanson as saying he's felt much better since now he can go back to doing his exercizes again. Said his problem is 'rushing' the ball and not staying on top because he is so pumped up having not been used a lot lately.

Always nice to get a win on your birthday. It makes the day a lot better. I feel bad for Garland though, he's running out of time to get #20 wins.

Lip

Wsoxmike59
Also, a tip of the cap to Jon Garland who was outstanding today. That was a "studly" performance by the big right hander. The Starting Pitching has been just awesome lately.

JB98
08-25-2005, 04:53 PM
According to the White Sox web site a story quotes Hermanson as saying he's felt much better since now he can go back to doing his exercizes again. Said his problem is 'rushing' the ball and not staying on top because he is so pumped up having not been used a lot lately.

Always nice to get a win on your birthday. It makes the day a lot better. I feel bad for Garland though, he's running out of time to get #20 wins.

Lip

And your name is mentioned in the Cubune today, Lip. Quite a birthday, huh? :cool:

Baby Fisk
1. Way to battle for a win. The Sox COULD have imploded after the 9th, but held firm and BATTLED. They TOOK this game away from the Twinks. Nice nice.

2. Marte should NOT have started the 9th. The 9th is for your CLOSER. He STARTS the 9th, because that's his damn job. He's not there to clean up other relievers' ****. The 9th should have been Hermanson's all the way. :angry:

3. Bobby Jenks. WOW! Pass the biscuits, mama!

4. Buehrle-Garcia-Garland = PLAYOFF CALIBRE ROTATION TO DIE FOR. These were big games and all three delivered big performances.

5. Guess what, Twins? YOU DEAD! Suck on that, Blog Girl.

6. Go Devil Rays.

7. Kudos to today's chatroom gang for an entertaining game (extra thanks to Soxzilla for detailed PBP work :cheers: ).

8. Huge props to everyone who posted in the game day thread. I missed the final inning and that thread gives a complete picture of how things unfolded. You people rock! :thumbsup:

9. *** were the Twinks wearing today??? They look like freakin RODEO CLOWNS HAHAHAHAHA! :rolleyes:

Wsoxmike59
Go Get Seattle Boys. Geoff Blum, You were worth the 74 mph throwing RP we got you for just on the slide today alone.

Geoff Blum has officially become our Mr. Intangiable, Great Glove, Good Situational Hitter as well as some clutch Ability, Heads up Base Runner and a Good overall Guy.

HOOOO HAAAAH!!!!:gulp:

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/MPD105082516_lower.jpg

CaptainBallz
08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Do we have any highlight links of that b.s play in the ninth?

Go Sox! Suck turd Twinks!

socko82
08-25-2005, 04:55 PM
It was a foul ball, but did anybody catch Hawk and DJ in the 7th or 8th talking about how they didn't understand why Ozzie removes Paulie in the late innings for defense because "anything Paulie gets his hands on he catches"

Talk about foreshadowing.

Madvora
08-25-2005, 04:56 PM
If I was KW or Ozzie, I'd have Dustin go on the DL to rest his back. It's also become abundantly clear that Cotts should be the primary lefty. It's great to finally win a series!:bandance: (159)
They keep saying that the DL is nothing that will help his back, same with Crede's. It will take the whole off season to get any real improvement.
I agree about Marte switching with Cotts though. Neil is superior. Marte needs to stop walking people.

- edit - someone throw a tomato up, do we do those on post game threads?

Dan H
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Great Series from our starters. Only 2 earned runs in 3 games! :gulp:

Yes, the starting pitching really came through. The offense scored only eight even with yesterday's ouptut, but I don't care about that right now. A series win is a series win. It was truly needed, especially against the Twins.

Baby Fisk
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Ozzie's love affair with Marte makes me wanna throw up! [BLEEEEAAAAUGH!]

:tomatoaward

There. I threw up a tomato. :cool:

MarySwiss
08-25-2005, 05:05 PM
You couldn't be more right about Cotts. I've said it several times on this board, and I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record. Marte's walks drive me crazy. The base on balls provides life for the other team's offense. I'd rather see a solo HR than a walk. I hate pitchers who beat themselves. If the other team hits the ball, I can live with that.

Couldn't agree more. When I saw Marte come in, I moaned loudly, "Oh, no!" Thing is, I forgot I was watching the game at a sports bar in Tempe instead of at home hunched over my laptop like I usually am. And since this was lunchtime in Ariz., the place was somewhat crowded, so I got some weird looks. But who cares?

Important thing:

WE WON!!!

:gulp:

PatK
08-25-2005, 05:05 PM
MLB.com is saying that the ball was clearly foul and replays showed that the umps made the right call.

Bruce Levine is on with Harry and JD, and he sounds like he's soooooo pissed that the Sox have won 3 of 4.

Of course now, he's whining about "Well they are going to need to rest Garland and Buehrle, they've pitched a lot of innings and could be tired if they make the playoffs".

cheeses_h_rice
08-25-2005, 05:07 PM
MLB.com is saying that the ball was clearly foul and replays showed that the umps made the right call.

:?:

These statements are inconsistent with each other. If the ball was clearly foul, the umps made the wrong call.

Vince
08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm home sick today so I got to catch the game on TV. Good game to watch except in the 9th, where I was screaming at my TV (hard to do with a sore throat). It sure looked foul to me...

But the real problem was Marte walking that guy. I think Marte needs to be moved down the pecking order in the pen; he's not the same Marte that he used to be. It seems like every time he goes out there he gives up a walk.

Great performance by Garland. Talk about pitching yourself out of a hitting slump, 3 ER in the last four games by the starters?

Great slide by Blum. Truly a masterpiece to see.

About the Hermanson/Jenks debate -- all I can say is that judging by the last few outings I've seen of both, Jenks has looked dominant, and Hermanson has just scraped by. That's just my opinion.

Did anyone else catch Coop saying that with all other things being equal (matchups, record against opponent, night/day, etc) he'd go with Garcia in the first game of the playoffs on the pregame show?

ElevenUp
08-25-2005, 05:13 PM
I can't think of a better way to get off the schneid than taking 2 out of three in the Rollerdome. Great job by the starting pitching in this series. I hope they keep it up in Seattle.:cool:

JB98
08-25-2005, 05:15 PM
:?:

These statements are inconsistent with each other. If the ball was clearly foul, the umps made the wrong call.

It was like the umpire thought this was football. Because Konerko's feet were inbounds when he touched the ball, the ball must be fair. It's where the ball is, not the player.

Really, I think it was laziness on the part of the home-plate umpire. It was his call, and he didn't make it. He must not have seen what happened.

UofCSoxFan
08-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Go up to the Humpty Dump and win 2 of 3 (the one loss being a one hitter of all things)...not too bad if I say so myself.

Iguana775
08-25-2005, 05:21 PM
I'm home sick today so I got to catch the game on TV. Good game to watch except in the 9th, where I was screaming at my TV (hard to do with a sore throat). It sure looked foul to me...

But the real problem was Marte walking that guy. I think Marte needs to be moved down the pecking order in the pen; he's not the same Marte that he used to be. It seems like every time he goes out there he gives up a walk.

Great performance by Garland. Talk about pitching yourself out of a hitting slump, 3 ER in the last four games by the starters?

Great slide by Blum. Truly a masterpiece to see.

About the Hermanson/Jenks debate -- all I can say is that judging by the last few outings I've seen of both, Jenks has looked dominant, and Hermanson has just scraped by. That's just my opinion.

Did anyone else catch Coop saying that with all other things being equal (matchups, record against opponent, night/day, etc) he'd go with Garcia in the first game of the playoffs on the pregame show?

I'd rather have Garcia start the first game on the road. he is absolutly dominant on the road and not so much at home.

HITMEN OF 77
08-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Very impressive series from the starting pitching standpoint. The offense got the job done the last 2 days and the bullpen, well it bent but didn't break. I'll take the 2 out 3 in the twink dome anytime. Now lets sweep Peattle this weekend!!

Fungo
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
This twins team we faced in this series resembled more the AAA Rochester squad than the normal Minnesota squad. I agree the pitching was great, but let's remember that the last 2 games of the series were played without their entire starting outfield of Stewart, Hunter and Jones. Excellent series win nonetheless. On to Seattle.

Letmehearya
08-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Let's take the win. KW, get it done. Help this offense!

RMSoxFan
08-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Great series by Sox starters, way to take some pressure off of the offense. Some positves and negatives:

This was just the Twinkies. Their lineup isn't exactly scary. However, they have been good lately.

The offense still hasn't caught on. It looked good against Mays, and the excellent pitching overcame the weak hitting, but we're not completely out of the offensive slump yet. We need more quality ABs from the likes of Crede, Uribe, etc.

Gigantor 2000
08-25-2005, 05:41 PM
The pitching was great today,again. The bullpen almost gave me a coronary but Jenks shut them down and made that last Twins batter look like a scared and lost child, truely awesome to see him have a some finesse. Also, did anyone notice the umps strikeout motion? It was like he was throwing up Jazz Hands or something.

DickAllen72
08-25-2005, 05:42 PM
BOBBY
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/2005/08/09/NOHLCoFi.jpg
JENKS !

Bobby Jenks is our most reliable closer.

Jerko
08-25-2005, 05:46 PM
I wonder when Gigantor 3000 is gonna show up?

LVSoxFan
08-25-2005, 05:47 PM
The pitching was great today,again. The bullpen almost gave me a coronary but Jenks shut them down and made that last Twins batter look like a scared and lost child, truely awesome to see him have a some finesse. Also, did anyone notice the umps strikeout motion? It was like he was throwing up Jazz Hands or something.

*****! Tell me he didn't then segue into the "lobster claw," or "spirit fingers."

TheOldRoman
08-25-2005, 05:58 PM
4. Buehrle-Garcia-Garland = PLAYOFF CALIBRE ROTATION TO DIE FOR. These were big games and all three delivered big performances.

Damnit, this board is run in America. The Sox are in America. Stop with the Canadian spellings!:D:

:)

Tragg
08-25-2005, 06:00 PM
The MLB site said that the call was correct:

"Michael Ryan's two-out line drive, which barely stayed fair, tipped off Paul Konerko's glove at first base and scored Rodriguez from first with the game-tying run. First-base umpire Marty Foster made the ruling on the line drive, and replays appeared to show he made the right call."

RMSoxFan
08-25-2005, 06:02 PM
I found a Twinkies fan site, and they were talking about the play also. A few people there thought that the ball was fair, but most said that it was obviously foul. They also thought that the call on Blum at third was correct.

Lip Man 1
08-25-2005, 06:03 PM
Does anyone have an update on Crede? He left the game late after he may or may not have been struck by a ball while trying to bunt.

Lip

CYGarland20
08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I found a Twinkies fan site, and they were talking about the play also. A few people there thought that the ball was fair, but most said that it was obviously foul. They also thought that the call on Blum at third was correct.The play at 3rd was obiviously correct, but the camera angles for the play by PK were hard to gauge

Tragg
08-25-2005, 06:09 PM
The play at 3rd was obiviously correct, but the camera angles for the play by PK were hard to gauge

From ESPN, I couldn't tell on the Konerko ball. The 3b call was obviously correct, although a mediocre umpire would have called him out because the throw beat the runner by a mile.

FielderJones
08-25-2005, 06:44 PM

"Michael Ryan's two-out line drive, which barely stayed fair, tipped off Paul Konerko's glove at first base and scored Rodriguez from first with the game-tying run. First-base umpire Marty Foster made the ruling on the line drive, and replays appeared to show he made the right call."

I think the umpires union can file a greivance if MLB says anything but "the umpire's call is always correct."

The article is by an MLB shill. Of course they're going to say the call was right.

soxjim
08-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Could only listen to the game at work. No idea if the calls were correct. I need to look at it positively. 1. SOX won magic number is 29 and shrinking. 2. We won the series, lets get back to this. 3. We won 3 out of our last 4. With 4 good starts by our pitchers

voodoochile
08-25-2005, 06:54 PM
If I had a hammer... I'd hammer in the morning. I'd hammer in the evening. All over this land...

Starting to put a few nails in that box we're building. It's a special built box designed to hold one grinning fool and a dozen or so sweet cakes stuffed with cream filling.

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Hey twinkies...

Na na na na
Na na na na
Hey Hey Hey...
Buh bye...

Bite me, psychobitch! :booty::neener:

Sxy Mofo
08-25-2005, 07:01 PM
I just saw the replay of blum's slide on whitesox.com...

I haven't read this whole thread, but that was a heck of a genius slide by blum to avoid the tag.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-25-2005, 07:06 PM
Bite me, psychobitch! :booty::neener:

What is the posters name who is referred to all over this board in such adoring terms. She must have came and went when I was away from the boards. Thanks.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2005, 07:10 PM
What is the posters name who is referred to all over this board in such adoring terms. She must have came and went when I was away from the boards. Thanks.

Some psychotic woman with her own blog (big surprise there, right?), sharing her bizarre thoughts about the Minnesota Twins.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Example: her idea of wit is to use the term "Bitch Sox" over and over again.

Clever...

:nuts:

SouthSide_HitMen
08-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Some psychotic woman with her own blog (big surprise there, right?), sharing her bizarre thoughts about the Minnesota Twins.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Example: her idea of wit is to use the term "Bitch Sox" over and over again.

Clever...

:nuts:

Thanks for the heads up and warning - I'll stick with the best White Sox website thank you very much.

Go White Sox!!!
Go WSI!!!

Viva Medias B's
08-25-2005, 07:20 PM

:tool
Of course the call was correct. The human element triumphed once again.

The way Hawk reacted in the midst of the call, I bet B&B will play that forever.

Revolutn
08-25-2005, 07:22 PM
Well we got the series win, just like we needed, and really, we coulda ended up with the sweep in retaliation, cuz that 1st game coulda been too.

Umps, well what's really to say you get some you don't get some.

Did everyone already forget the lax way Dye went stroling into 2nd on that play? I didn't really get many replay views as I was sneaking a few minutes of tv viewing in on my lunch break, but seems he coulda been called out.

And they did get the call right on Blum at 3rd....so....what ya gonna do.

All I can say, again, is That's a WhiteSox Series Win!

As much as I'd like to see the 6,7,8+ game win streaks as long as we split or win every series, we're in good shape as far as the rest of the regular season goes.

Jenks, OMG I love this kid, it's amazing how he continues to just mow em down.

Bring on Seatle!

SouthSiiiiiiiiiiide!

Rev :gulp:

chisoxmike
08-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Does anyone have an update on Crede? He left the game late after he may or may not have been struck by a ball while trying to bunt.

Lip

These guys need to know how to pull a bunt back when the ball is heading right for them, those attempts were pathetic.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Well we got the series win, just like we needed, and really, we coulda ended up with the sweep in retaliation, cuz that 1st game coulda been too.

The only game Minnesota won they managed exactly one hit. We'll just have to settle for burying the 2005 Twins with this series win, because we could very easily have eliminated them and HUMILIATED them,too, in their own house with a sweep.

I read where Gardenhire claimed the Twins "made it interesting" after last night's loss. That's funny... last I checked the W-L column didn't have a third column marked "I." After today, the Twins are 67-60-2.

Just keep making it interesting, Ron. We Sox Fans are loving you for it.
:cool:

DC Sox Fan
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
nice pic from the game...

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/MPD10708252041.jpg

PeteWard
08-25-2005, 09:30 PM
If I had a hammer... I'd hammer in the morning. I'd hammer in the evening. All over this land...

Starting to put a few nails in that box we're building. It's a special built box designed to hold one grinning fool and a dozen or so sweet cakes stuffed with cream filling.

Leave some room for a greasy, mulleted "analyst" crying in his beer.

Foulke You
08-25-2005, 09:46 PM
Nice win today. Sox showed good composure in putting the Hostess boys away after that blown call. That is the type of stuff that will win playoff games.

My Sun-Times predictions for tomorrow is that Mariotti will write about Cedric Benson and Greg Couch will write about the "maddening" Cubs injury bug.:D:

wassagstdu
08-25-2005, 09:50 PM
How about the offensive sequence in the third inning:
Perez: base hit up the middle
Everett: base hit to the opposite field
Konerko: RBI base hit up the middle
No big swings. Just solid fundamental hitting.
And a nice slide by Blum that turned into a game winner. Nice. White Sox baseball: WODT

SoxSpeed22
08-25-2005, 10:07 PM
Leave some room for a greasy, mulleted "analyst" crying in his beer.And a stathead full of useless info who compared them to the Patriots.
The only thing that bothers me about the Twins going down in flames is that they have excuses and they won't wait to use them. Other than that, I'll take another.:gulp:

C-Dawg
08-25-2005, 10:10 PM
I read where Gardenhire claimed the Twins "made it interesting" after last night's loss. That's funny... last I checked the W-L column didn't have a third column marked "I." After today, the Twins are 67-60-2.

LOL

:D:

Jerko
08-25-2005, 10:36 PM
I just saw the play in question where Konkero dropped the ball after Blum chased it down. I notice the relay was kind of high, and as Konerko was dropping the ball, the Twins' first base coach was kind of standing between Konerko and the plate, outside of the coach's box. I know they never stay in that box anyway, but what IS the rule? If Konerko caught the ball and threw home, he would have leveled that coach with his follow-through.

flo-B-flo
08-25-2005, 10:44 PM
Foul or not, it should have been caught. Also, crying to the ump ............. THIS is what I saw. CATCH the damn ball!!:angry:

Third base ump made great call on Blums' slide in the 10th.

Jon Garland... Awesome

Jenks... A portent of things to come?

Realist
08-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Great game that unifes all Sox fans. The Paulie lovers got to see him drive in a big run early in the game and the Konerko detractors got to see him make a bone headed play in the 9th.

Everybody dance! :bandance:

JB98
08-25-2005, 11:03 PM
And a nice slide by Blum that turned into a game winner. Nice. White Sox baseball: WODT

And thank goodness for that slide because our bunting was horrible in that inning. Uribe failed to get the runners to second and third after the Perez single, which cost us a run because Everett's fly to right would have been a sacrifice fly.

Jenks didn't need the extra run anyway, so all is well that ends well. But I would like to see Ozuna and Uribe do a better job of executing bunts.

JB98
08-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Great game that unifes all Sox fans. The Paulie lovers got to see him drive in a big run early in the game and the Konerko detractors got to see him make a bone headed play in the 9th.

Everybody dance! :bandance:

The Konerko detractors needed something to complain about. Their tongues have been parched lately, with Paulie hitting .320 with 9 HRs in August and all. They were probably all predicting a DP when Konerko came up with runners on first and third in the third inning.

Vernam
08-25-2005, 11:33 PM
The way Hawk reacted in the midst of the call, I bet B&B will play that forever.:D: I love the way Hawk is the world's biggest homer 99 percent of the time (even DJ called him on it yesterday when Hawk claimed the first game in Minnesota could give the team a psychological boost), then he turns into Harry Caray when something bad happens late in a close game. He was sure ripping on Marte for that daggum walk.

This was a game tailor-made to be watched on a delay basis tonight, because my heart might not have survived watching the 9th live this afternoon.

Blum's slide and the knee-buckling third strike to Ford were worthy of many, many Tivo repeated viewings. What a cool game.

VC

slobes
08-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Great effort by Garland.

This once again helps my point that while Timo is not a very good every day player, he is one of the most clutch guys on the team.

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 11:39 PM
:D: I love the way Hawk is the world's biggest homer 99 percent of the time (even DJ called him on it yesterday when Hawk claimed the first game in Minnesota could give the team a psychological boost), then he turns into Harry Caray when something bad happens late in a close game. He was sure ripping on Marte for that daggum walk.

This was a game tailor-made to be watched on a delay basis tonight, because my heart might not have survived watching the 9th live this afternoon.

Blum's slide and the knee-buckling third strike to Ford were worthy of many, many Tivo repeated viewings. What a cool game.

VCYou could tell Ford didn't want to be there. That AB was set up by last week's meeting between him and Jenks. On Tuesday, Jenks started him out with a 100 mph fastball, then followed that up with a curve ball aimed right at his head. His knees buckled, the ball curved right over the plate, and one pitch later Ford headed to the clubhouse to change his pants.

Probably the best part of Jenks pitching is the funny-looking swings you see.:D:

Nellie_Fox
08-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Just an FYI: I was headed home from work as the game was winding down, so I didn't see it on TV, but was listening on the car radio. The Twins radio announcers said the play in question was a foul ball, "but, we'll take it."

I think if the announcers for the other team think it was foul, that pretty much settles it.

The only reason it bothers me is because Garland deserved the win.

FarWestChicago
08-26-2005, 01:12 AM
I think if the announcers for the other team think it was foul, that pretty much settles it.That's usually a good measure of things. :D:

Frankfan4life
08-26-2005, 04:20 AM
Somebody mentioned on the game thread, but a real character win for the Sox. These are the kind of games the Twins win, but the team came back with a great 10th inning. Great job by Blum and Perez in the 10th, in addition to JG and Jenks.

I know JG deserved a win, but everyone knows what he did today. W-L doesn't matter if the Sox win.Ditto!! You summed it up for me. But I would like to add something, this...:bandance:

starboy0
08-26-2005, 06:20 AM
I guess our "toxic number" stays at 40 for now. :tongue:

I think's it's actually 45.

Dan H
08-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Great effort by Garland.

This once again helps my point that while Timo is not a very good every day player, he is one of the most clutch guys on the team.

Timo has come up with some key hits and great plays. I just can't stand to see him lead off.