PDA

View Full Version : timo perez

getonbckthr
08-25-2005, 03:45 PM
is everyone ready to lay off this guy and realize he is just a bench player with a bunch of big hits lately for this team. MERCY!!

shaunburnette
08-25-2005, 03:49 PM
is everyone ready to lay off this guy and realize he is just a bench player with a bunch of big hits lately for this team. MERCY!!

not to mention he is only in there because he is filling in for a injury. and a proven clutch left handed hitter. as an everyday player, i agree with everyone who hates on him. when he is put in the situation he is on the team for, he has come through, consistantly.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-25-2005, 03:49 PM
we're playing hurt, ergo, his place in the starting lineup is merely due to pods and paulie recovering. he will be back riding the pine once all are healthy

DaveIsHere
08-25-2005, 04:06 PM
We still suck

mcp5185
08-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Timo Perez is curently filling in for Pods, and both he and Ozuna have done a very good job in the leadoff spot. Timo should not be an everyday starter, but he deserves a spot on this team. He is a good pinch hitter and very good in clutch situations. Here's to you Timo :gulp:

SoxinAZ
08-25-2005, 04:13 PM
:timo: That's why they pay me a million bucks a year!!

bennyw41
08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
We should ban all Timo Threads. There are too many. He is what he is, a back-up, get over it.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 04:15 PM
timo is useless. one or two lucky hits doesn't erase the dead weight he was in the leadoff spot during the losing streak.

he'd better not steal the frwakin PTC from Garland.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Timo Perez is curently filling in for Pods, and both he and Ozuna have done a very good job in the leadoff spot. Timo should not be an everyday starter, but he deserves a spot on this team. He is a good pinch hitter and very good in clutch situations. Here's to you Timo :gulp:

I fixed the teal deficit in your post.

:tealpolice:

JohnBasedowYoda
08-25-2005, 04:17 PM
i was never on his case...but ozuna is another story

The Dude
08-25-2005, 04:18 PM
timo is useless. one or two lucky hits doesn't erase the dead weight he was in the leadoff spot during the losing streak.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Especially the PTC.

He gone
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM
When Timo came up in the 10th I looked at my wife and said, "why don't they pinch hit for him?" :o:

I swear every time I bad mouth him he comes through :?: I guess I need to bad mouth him on every at-bat:D:

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2005, 04:19 PM

:thumbsup:

Timo Sucks!

SoxFan76
08-25-2005, 04:22 PM
People around here are ridiculous. He plays a good defensive RF/LF, he gets clutch hits, and he just knows how to play the game. Oh yeah, and he's a BENCH PLAYER!!! Lay off people, once Podsednik comes back Timo won't be starting. It pisses me off how ridiculous people act over guys like Timo and Crede who help this team so much. Ozuna should be getting the criticism. I swear everytime I see him play he makes an error. He really makes you appreciate Crede and Uribe defensively.

edit, and I'm NOT basing my opinion off this game only, so don't even say it!!!

:angry::angry::angry:

mweflen
08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
When Timo came up in the 10th I looked at my wife and said, "why don't they pinch hit for him?" :o:

I swear every time I bad mouth him he comes through :?: I guess I need to bad mouth him on every at-bat:D:

That's funny - always happend with me and my GF, too. Cosmic...

mweflen
08-25-2005, 04:23 PM
People around here are ridiculous. He plays a good defensive RF/LF, he gets clutch hits, and he just knows how to play the game. Oh yeah, and he's a BENCH PLAYER!!! Lay off people, once Podsednik comes back Timo won't be starting. It pisses me off how ridiculous people act over guys like Timo and Crede who help this team so much. Ozuna should be getting the criticism. I swear everytime I see him play he makes an error. He really makes you appreciate Crede and Uribe defensively.

edit, and I'm NOT basing my opinion off this game only, so don't even say it!!!

:angry::angry::angry:

I'm not even goign to try and address the teal needs of this post ;)

I do not have an irrational Timo hatred. But any objective observer will confirm that he absolutely KILLED us in the leadoff spot during the streak.

SOXfnNlansing
08-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Timo's been doing a great job!

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM

At bringing in large panties...

The Dude
08-25-2005, 04:29 PM

yeah that .224 average has been fantastic! Dont worry about his other at bats because he only needs the one clutch hit every so often to prove he's worth that cool million dollars.

kevingrt
08-25-2005, 04:31 PM

And huge ass throws. This game was sick and Timo did amazing today. Great bench player and he should be with this team through the playoffs with a ring.

SoxFan76
08-25-2005, 04:32 PM
yeah that .224 average has been fantastic! Dont worry about his other at bats because he only needs the one clutch hit every so often to prove he's worth that cool million dollars.

A clutch hit every so often off the bench sure is a lot better than Mr. Clutch Paul Konerko. LAY OFF!!!

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 04:35 PM
I'm not even goign to try and address the teal needs of this post ;)

I do not have an irrational Timo hatred. But any objective observer will confirm that he absolutely KILLED us in the leadoff spot during the streak.Rubbish. The rest of the team sucked during the losing streak, too. Why is it only Timo's fault? He's a mediocre player. Big deal. That's the essence of a BENCH PLAYER. If he was any good, HE WOULDN'T BE A BENCH PLAYER. He's be starting somewhere. With Pods out, he's in a spot over his head. But to pretend that he's the reason for the losing streak is plain stupid.

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2005, 04:36 PM
Yes Timo has come up with some big hits in few games. BUT MOST of the games he is absolutely horrible. Just because he gets a big hit every blue moon doesnt make him good.

Crede and Uribe at least have great gloves.

Timo is a bench player and should be on the bench just about every game.

The Dude
08-25-2005, 04:40 PM
A clutch hit every so often off the bench sure is a lot better than Mr. Clutch Paul Konerko. LAY OFF!!!

How about laying off PK and his team leading stats. Can you say team leader in most offensive stats and NOT being the GIDPK of old.
Figures the PK haters hijack another thread. Things never change.

TimoPerez
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Crede and Uribe at least have great gloves.

Did Timo not throw a runner out at home? Sounds like good, game saving defense to me.

Rocky Soprano
All he said was the PK is unclutch. And that is true.

Lip Man 1
One game does not a season make Timo.

Lip

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Did Timo not throw a runner out at home? Sounds like good, game saving defense to me.

Like I said, he will have good games once in a blue moon. What about the other 98% of the time?

The Dude
08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
All he said was the PK is unclutch. And that is true.

Ok I agree with that to an extent but didnt feel it was necessary to take that quick stab at PK. That is all.

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Ok I agree with that to an extent but didnt feel it was necessary to take that quick stab at PK. That is all.

Right. Yes PK has been huge this year for the Sox because without him we would not have a power hitter.

The Dude
08-25-2005, 04:46 PM
Like I said, he will have good games once in a blue moon. What about the other 98% of the time?

Whoa, no need to be logical here Rocky! We're having a Timo discussion.:cool:

TimoPerez
08-25-2005, 04:59 PM
It always seems like everybody here lives by the theory, "what have you done for me lately?" In his last two games Timo has been on base 5 times out of the leadoff spot. That is damn good.

Proclaim hatred towards him if you wish, but I don't understand how anybody could hate a player on a team they love. There is not one player on the Mets or Sox that I don't like.

Timo won't be starting when Podzilla comes back. Until then you are forced to live with Timo against righties.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Rubbish. The rest of the team sucked during the losing streak, too. Why is it only Timo's fault? He's a mediocre player. Big deal. That's the essence of a BENCH PLAYER. If he was any good, HE WOULDN'T BE A BENCH PLAYER. He's be starting somewhere. With Pods out, he's in a spot over his head. But to pretend that he's the reason for the losing streak is plain stupid.

Nowhere did i say that the rest of the team was killing the ball during the losing streak. But Timo was EXTREMELY CONSPICUOUS in his poor performance during the streak. The Cubune just today mentioned how poorly the leadoff spot has performed in Pods' absence.

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Nowhere did i say that the rest of the team was killing the ball during the losing streak. But Timo was EXTREMELY CONSPICUOUS in his poor performance during the streak. The Cubune just today mentioned how poorly the leadoff spot has performed in Pods' absence.Why is he conspicuous? No one else did any better in the leadoff spot during that time. In fact, no one else did much of anything in any other lineup spot, either. Once again...he's a BENCH PLAYER. To complain that he's a poor substitute for Podsednik is silly. If he wasn't, he'd be leading off somewhere else.

BRDSR
08-25-2005, 05:29 PM
The only thing to get mad about when it comes to Timo is Ozzie's awful habit of batting him leadoff. We have at least three other guys on this team besides Podsednik that make more sense at the leadoff position. It isn't Timo's fault that he's a bad leadoff hitter, it's Ozzie's fault for trying forcing him into the role.

FarWestChicago
08-25-2005, 05:32 PM
The Cubune just today mentioned how poorly the leadoff spot has performed in Pods' absence.And you have just lost any credibility you ever had. You have none left, zero, zip, nada. You may never recover. Quoting the Cubune to back up an argument? :rolleyes:

mweflen
08-25-2005, 05:49 PM
And you have just lost any credibility you ever had. You have none left, zero, zip, nada. You may never recover. Quoting the Cubune to back up an argument? :rolleyes:

I'm merely quoting the stat they offered - before yesterday, the leadoff spot (mostly Timo) had delivered some atrocious number like 5 for 25 in OBP chances (i.e. walks or hits). I can't find it on the site, but i saw it in today's print edition re: pods absence.

Whoops, there goes my credibility.:tongue:

FarWestChicago
08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
I'm merely quoting the stat they offered - before yesterday, the leadoff spot had delivered something like 5 for 25 in OBP chances (i.e. walks or hits). I can't find it on the site, but i saw it in today's print edition re: pods absence.

Whoops, there goes my credibility.:tongue:Just say no to the Flubune. :redneck

Rocky Soprano
08-25-2005, 05:51 PM
It always seems like everybody here lives by the theory, "what have you done for me lately?" In his last two games Timo has been on base 5 times out of the leadoff spot. That is damn good.

Proclaim hatred towards him if you wish, but I don't understand how anybody could hate a player on a team they love. There is not one player on the Mets or Sox that I don't like.

Timo won't be starting when Podzilla comes back. Until then you are forced to live with Timo against righties.

Now I dont hate him. He plays for the Sox, so I root for him to do well.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 05:52 PM
Why is he conspicuous? No one else did any better in the leadoff spot during that time. In fact, no one else did much of anything in any other lineup spot, either. Once again...he's a BENCH PLAYER. To complain that he's a poor substitute for Podsednik is silly. If he wasn't, he'd be leading off somewhere else.

Conspicuous because of where Ozzie was insanely placing him in the lineup.

I.E. Going 1 for 20 in the 8th spot is less conspicuous than going 1 for 20 in the leadoff spot.

Pretty elementary.

I agree with the above - I don't hate Timo, I hate the way he is utilized. YES, someone has to sub for Pods. But NO, Timo is NOT the best leadoff option. Iguchi, Rowand, or Ozuna would be better options, regardless of position played or pitcher faced. I'd rather have Pablo in against righties, "percentages" be damned. He's faster and he puts better wood on the ball.

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 05:54 PM
I'm merely quoting the stat they offered - before yesterday, the leadoff spot had delivered something like 5 for 25 in OBP chances (i.e. walks or hits). I can't find it on the site, but i saw it in today's print edition re: pods absence.

Whoops, there goes my credibility.:tongue:Timo is the 25th man on the roster. Collect up the 29 other 25th men in the league and I bet you won't find many other good leadoff hitters in there, either. That's why they are where they are.:o:

Timo is what he is. Everybody please get over it. Ripping on him because he's not something better seems pretty pointless.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 05:56 PM
Timo is what he is. Everybody please get over it. Ripping on him because he's not something better seems pretty pointless.

Please see my above amended comments. Timo is Timo - and Timo shouldn't be leading off.

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Please see my above amended comments. Timo is Timo - and Timo shouldn't be leading off.Who should? Look up his numbers over the losing streak and find someone who would have been better.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Who should? Look up his numbers over the losing streak and find someone who would have been better.

Tadahito. Game, set, match.

Iguchi: 6/25 during streak, 1 BB
Timo: 3/16 during streak, 0 BB

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Tadahito. Game, set, match.Since the first game of the losing streak, Iguchi is 8/35 (.229). Over the same period, Timo is 7/26 (.269). Game, set, match is correct.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Since the first game of the losing streak, Iguchi is 8/35 (.229). Over the same period, Timo is 7/26 (.269). Game, set, match is correct.

see the actual stats for the 7 game losing streak above.

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 06:10 PM
see the actual stats for the 7 game losing streak above.So you conveniently ignore the games they won. Very clever.

mweflen
08-25-2005, 06:12 PM
So you conveniently ignore the games they won. Very clever.

ummmm, isn't a "7 game losing streak" limited by definition the the "7 consecutive games they lost"????

Ol' No. 2
08-25-2005, 06:16 PM
ummmm, isn't a "7 game losing streak" limited by definition the the "7 consecutive games they lost"????If you want to limit it to those 7 games, the sample size is too small to conclude that those numbers are significantly different. Besides, suppose you moved Iguchi up a spot in the order. So what? How does that make a difference if no one else in the order is hitting?

Edit: You're getting way to hung up on "leadoff man". He only leads off in the first inning. After that it's no different than if Timo was hitting 9th and Iguchi was leading off. During the losing streak Iguchi scored a grand total of ONE run because no one else was capable of driving him in. Move him up to leadoff and who hits #2? All you've accomplished is having a DIFFERENT guy not driving him in.

Letmehearya
08-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I give Timo credit for being a clutch hitter and a team player. He's willing to do what needs to be done to win. KW, if you're watching/reading, please get something done. If we got Griff, this board would be so :smile: :) :smile:

RallyBowl
08-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Sweet Lord, why do people dislike Timo so much? There have been many logical points for and against him in this thread, but I believe the fors have it. He is one of the better bench players in baseball, and has been for a few years. He gets clutch hits often. Well he sucks the rest of the time you say. I say that is as good as a player who is good when it doesn't matter, but sucks when it's crunch time. We all agree Timo shouldn't have been leading off, but he was the best option and he didn't perform that horribly. Iguchi should have been leading off you say. I say Gooch is an awesome no. 2 hitter, so why move him and make him change the way he approaches his at bats for 2 weeks. Is Timo worth a million dollars? No. But he is a good option to have off the bench, or to step in when someone is hurt. He is an above average player who can be used to fill multiple holes. He has playoff experience. And he seems to have a horseshoe up his arse when a clutch hit is needed. When the day comes and he is playing elsewhere, you Timo Haters will all miss what you had when the guy they replace him with is a nobody who never does anything, like most bench players are. I think Ozzie has made good descisions where Timo is concerned, because he is a good manager and HE knows what is best for our beloved 'Hose.

RallyBowl
08-25-2005, 07:07 PM
If you want to limit it to those 7 games, the sample size is too small to conclude that those numbers are significantly different. Besides, suppose you moved Iguchi up a spot in the order. So what? How does that make a difference if no one else in the order is hitting?

Edit: You're getting way to hung up on "leadoff man". He only leads off in the first inning. After that it's no different than if Timo was hitting 9th and Iguchi was leading off. During the losing streak Iguchi scored a grand total of ONE run because no one else was capable of driving him in. Move him up to leadoff and who hits #2? All you've accomplished is having a DIFFERENT guy not driving him in.

Great points that should have been included in my post. Especially the edit part.

Soxfanspcu11
08-25-2005, 07:18 PM
I agree with the criticism of Timo, based on the fact that he is barely batting his weight. But lets keep a few things in mind here.

1. He hasnt gotten any consistent playing time, I think most would agree that his chances to succeed would inprove with solid ABs. I mean we didnt bench Dye for a long period when his batting average was the weight of a little league starting pitcher. (i know i know, dye has better credientials, but still).

2. Timo has been the most clutch of anyone that team all year. Lets not forget the game on memorial day when the sox had a lead against the angels all day until Iguchi thought it was time to play soccer with the ball trying to turn two. Everett comes up with the bases loaded, 1 out and the sox down one and strikes out (not getting down on carl, again just sayin). Who comes up? Timo, with 2 outs and hits a 2 run walk off single to win the game. Back in july in the third game of the oakland series, with 2 outs in the bottom of the ninth and the sox down one, timo hits a double to tie the game (and prolly win the game if pablo doesnt swing and a first pitch breaking ball and grounds out). Against the twins a week ago during the 16 inning marathon. With the sox down 3-2, he again hits a 2 out double to left field to give the sox a 4-3 lead. and of course today.

3. Lets not forget that Timo was on that 2000 mets team that played in the world series. Even though the mets lost, Timo was a part of that in the largest media market in the world. One common criticism of the sox come october is that the team lacks serious playoff experience. Well, Timo has played in the biggest series in the biggest market, so having a guy who has already been there is a huge plus!

Do I think that Timo should be making considerably more then Jenks or Cotts? no, they have much more value to the team, however Timo's going to be a huge asset come october.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Do I think that Timo should be making considerably more then Jenks or Cotts? no, they have much more value to the team, however Timo's going to be a huge asset come october.

Jenks / Cotts and other rookies have little leverage in salary until they reach the arbitration stage when they are still paid on average 1/3 of their worth in year 3, about half their worth in year 4 and 2/3 in years 5 and 6.

Timo gets more than the minimum but his salary is not out of line with other experienced 4th outfielders. I am glad Timo has contributed when given the chance.

I am more glad the Sox have control over Jenks' and Cotts' contracts over the next several seasons - both look to be solid contributors in the years to come.

Jerome
08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
.230/.281/.318

Timo Perez' hitting stats. Not overly impressive IMO. He's a nice guy off the bench I guess.

AMestan
08-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Timo!!!!

Only Crede, Paulie or Widger would be a worse leadoff hitter. If the bench player of the century "213 AVG". would bat 7, 8 or 9, I wouldn't have a problem as long as he plays no more than twice a week. Leadoff; a Joke!!! He makes $1.0M per year he could take the abuse.

TimoPerez
08-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Now I dont hate him. He plays for the Sox, so I root for him to do well.

That is how it should be. Unfortunately, not everyone feels that way.

SOXfnNlansing
08-25-2005, 08:59 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/stats/mlb_individual_player_gamebygamelog.jsp?playerID=3 40392&statType=1 since July 21st, Timo has started 17 times (one game he didn't start because Carl was ejected in the 1st inning, and Timo replaced Pablo later in the game, but he did have 3ab's); (3 in RF Dye spider bite series vs BOS, 4 DH:?: , and 9 in LF). 2 of those games the Sox were shut out. 2 games they scored 1 run. 4 games they scored 2 runs. In those 8 games (8 of his 17 starts, almost half), Timo went 6/32 with 2 runs and an RBI. Not only did Timo suck, but the whole team managed just 10 runs (Timo scored 2 and drove 1 in) and 55 hits during those games. The other 9 games started Timo was 8/31 5 runs 4 rbi and 5bb. The team scored 50 runs on 85 hits. I'm not a big Timo supporter but I think there's no substance to bashing him when presented with all the facts. If people continue to hate him, it's not the play on the field, it's personal imo.

Lip Man 1
08-26-2005, 12:54 AM
Phil Rogers tonight has a column discussing among other things Timo, and has quoted Ozzie listing his reasons why Perez is going to keep playing and Anderson is going to keep sitting.

To be honest I can't disagree with some of Ozzie's reasoning...but man, Timo?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050825rogers,1,4890156.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Lip

IowaSox1971
08-26-2005, 04:22 AM
Timo is the best clutch hitter on the team. On a per-at-bat ratio, he has more clutch hits this season than anyone else. He's won at least two games with clutch hits, and he would have had the game-winning hit in the 16-inning game except Hermanson blew the save. And he had the game-tying hit with two out in the ninth against Oakland. Plus, his seventh-inning homer in the first week of the season put us ahead to stay in a game we eventually won in Minnesota. The guy hasn't had that many at-bats, but he has a very good ratio of clutch hits.

TomBradley72
08-26-2005, 10:28 AM
For the 2005 White Sox....I am now in the camp of keeping Timo, he brings the occasional "lightning in a bottle" (late inning HR, a few clutch hits that have won games in the late/extra innings, decent arm in the OF). He belongs on this team and on the roster through the World Series....regardless of stats, sample size, etc. He's part of the make up of this team....this year. He's playing more than I'd like due to injuries....but thats the way things go.

FielderJones
08-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Phil Rogers tonight has a column discussing among other things Timo, and has quoted Ozzie listing his reasons why Perez is going to keep playing and Anderson is going to keep sitting.

To be honest I can't disagree with some of Ozzie's reasoning...but man, Timo?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050825rogers,1,4890156.column?coll=cs-home-utility

:timo:
"Man, it's a sad day when I get more love from the Cubune than I do from you guys!"

kitekrazy
08-26-2005, 11:34 AM
It amazes me that some people crucify the hero of the game.

ChiSox14305635
08-26-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm not a huge fan of Timo, and I pray that the way he catches some fly balls in the outfield doesn't come back and bite him in the rear, but let's not even look at the game winning hit, but this quote instead from yesterday:

Garland, the third straight Cy Young Award candidate to start in the series, was certainly glad Perez was in left when Terry Tiffee lined a single with two on and two outs in the second inning. The previous two hitters, Michael Ryan and Michael Cuddyer, had started a two-out rally with back-to-back singles.

Perez's strike to catcher A.J. Pierzynski killed the rally. The throw easily beat Ryan to the plate.

"That's huge," Garland said. "Instead of us having a 1-0 lead in the ninth, it would have been a tie game."

If Michael Ryan scores in that inning, it's a 2-1 final the other way around, and this place would've been ballistic. If we're gonna criticize for poor performances, let's save them for those who truly deserve it.

:kmarte

"WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT ME?"

mweflen
08-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Timo is the best clutch hitter on the team. On a per-at-bat ratio, he has more clutch hits this season than anyone else. He's won at least two games with clutch hits...

I can distinctly recall two games earlier this year in which Timo blew a "clutch situation", when he was unable to lay down a sac bunt.

How can we measure a guy's "clutch" performance while not also weighing it against his aggregate performance? How many more games would we have won if Timo were hitting .290? Distribute those 10 extra hits into "rally situations," and we probably would have won 2 or 3 more games. Saying a guy is "clutch" is just as meaningless as saying he's "anti-clutch" (which people here say of Konerko, equally meaninglessly)

These kinds of arguments are pointless. Should Borchard have been our starting RF last year because he hit a 500 foot homer, once? Or maybe should we look at his overall numbers to determine whether he is a worthy member of the starting lineup?

They keep stats for a reason. They tell us whether or not a player sucks.

Hate to break it to you, but Timo Sucks.

Soxfanspcu11
08-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Well believe it or not, there is plenty of truth to the term "clutch". We had some dude around here named Jordan and if your telling me that he is not the definition of the word "clutch" then I would have to think you have suffered brain damage. Some guys are good under pressure, some are not and Timo certainly is! If you look back at my post there are 4, yes 4 direct instances where timo has come through in the clutch, and i actually forgot about that game in minnesota earlier in the year, so yeah thats 5 now. You remember "a few" instances when Timo couldnt lay down a sac bunt?? Well first of, if that is even true, the guy cant be the savior in every do or die situation, its just not possible. But there is certainly no argument that he is the most clutch guy on the team. Everyone talks about Crede being clutch, but I can only recall him succeding in those situations twice (once against Tampa bay and the other vs boston). Those were great situations for the sox but timo has the clout to back up being mr.clutch this year.

Also the first time someone on here says something about how the sox dont have enough playoff experience, i will refer you to my original post on this matter. thank god for timo!

mweflen
08-26-2005, 06:31 PM
Well believe it or not, there is plenty of truth to the term "clutch". We had some dude around here named Jordan and if your telling me that he is not the definition of the word "clutch" then I would have to think you have suffered brain damage. Some guys are good under pressure, some are not and Timo certainly is! If you look back at my post there are 4, yes 4 direct instances where timo has come through in the clutch, and i actually forgot about that game in minnesota earlier in the year, so yeah thats 5 now. You remember "a few" instances when Timo couldnt lay down a sac bunt?? Well first of, if that is even true, the guy cant be the savior in every do or die situation, its just not possible. But there is certainly no argument that he is the most clutch guy on the team. Everyone talks about Crede being clutch, but I can only recall him succeding in those situations twice (once against Tampa bay and the other vs boston). Those were great situations for the sox but timo has the clout to back up being mr.clutch this year.

I am not saying that something cannot be termed a "clutch hit." I just think it's foolish to value someone for being a so-called clutch hitter.

You know what a real clutch hitter is? Someone who consistently gets his hits, at a 290-plus clip, throughout the season. Someone like this will have loads of "clutch" hits, because he simply get hits more often. People are over-estimating the impact of Timo's few "clutch hits" because he has so few other hits to measure them against. Konerko, Rowand, Iguchi and others have "won" many more ballgames with "clutch hits" than Timo could ever claim to.

(your Jordan example is the same - give someone a guy who scores 30 a night with high percentage shots, i.e. Jordan, Shaq, Iverson, and you'll have plenty of "clutch" shots. If someone like Steve Kerr was somehow mystically ahead of any of them in the "clutch" category, does that mean you'd rather have Kerr on the court than the above three players?)

PS - turn off your danged "bold" print. Impolite on forums.

Ol' No. 2
08-27-2005, 12:31 AM
I am not saying that something cannot be termed a "clutch hit." I just think it's foolish to value someone for being a so-called clutch hitter.

You know what a real clutch hitter is? Someone who consistently gets his hits, at a 290-plus clip, throughout the season. Someone like this will have loads of "clutch" hits, because he simply get hits more often. People are over-estimating the impact of Timo's few "clutch hits" because he has so few other hits to measure them against. Konerko, Rowand, Iguchi and others have "won" many more ballgames with "clutch hits" than Timo could ever claim to.

(your Jordan example is the same - give someone a guy who scores 30 a night with high percentage shots, i.e. Jordan, Shaq, Iverson, and you'll have plenty of "clutch" shots. If someone like Steve Kerr was somehow mystically ahead of any of them in the "clutch" category, does that mean you'd rather have Kerr on the court than the above three players?)

PS - turn off your danged "bold" print. Impolite on forums.For crissake. Timo is a 25th man. What do you expect as a 25th man, Ted Frikkin' Williams? Get over it already.

The Dude
08-27-2005, 01:04 AM
For crissake. Timo is a 25th man. What do you expect as a 25th man, Ted Frikkin' Williams? Get over it already.

No ol' no. 2, but I want a servicable player to take over for Scottie. Timo's starting almost every game. He's clearly not the 25th man in Ozzie's book. He should be the 26th man with his talent.

FarWestChicago
08-27-2005, 01:19 AM
No ol' no. 2, but I want a servicable player to take over for Scottie. Timo's starting almost every game. He's clearly not the 25th man in Ozzie's book. He should be the 26th man with his talent.I would recommend you get a better bong. :rolleyes:

Soxfanspcu11
08-27-2005, 01:25 AM
is this font better? jk. anyway it really makes no differnce how many hits timo has this year because he is a bench player, those players values are determined not by their daily output (consistency) of 162 games but the value they bring to the team COMING OFF THE BENCH, thats the whole point. I actually dont think Timo should be replacing pods daily because he is just not that type of player, at least this season. I would much rather see Anderson (by the way 2 homeruns and a double hear in the 12th) be pods temporary replacement. I would much rather see Pablo or even willie harris back up. Or better yet, Iguchi batting leadoff followed by Ross Gload, konerko, EVerett, AJ, Dye, or mix that last part up however. And Gload could play first let paulie dh and get that back better. Wow, i totally went off the topic, but the point being, Timo is a bench player that delievers when asked too. If you have some sort of personal vendetta against him, then fine (i would suspect you are a mets fan that is still upset about his baserunning blunder) but you really shouldnt downplay his success so far in do or die situations. Tell me one other person on that team you would like to see up with 2 outs and the tying/go-ahead run on second? I would say Rowand is a close runnerup but not lately. Timo will more then likely have more game winning hits all year and prove his stake on the team.

and PS, there are plenty of good/great athletes that just do not perform in the clutch. I would list them but I think i hear donovan mcnabb throwing up in my bathroom so i better go

Soxfanspcu11
08-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Or Maybe Iguchi!!!!!! Way To Go Baby!!! Sox Up 5-3 In The 12th!!!!

The Dude
08-27-2005, 01:37 AM
I would recommend you get a better bong. :rolleyes:

Something like that. :redneck Ill take another :gulp:

The Dude
08-27-2005, 01:39 AM
is this font better? jk. anyway it really makes no differnce how many hits timo has this year because he is a bench player, those players values are determined not by their daily output (consistency) of 162 games but the value they bring to the team COMING OFF THE BENCH, thats the whole point. I actually dont think Timo should be replacing pods daily because he is just not that type of player, at least this season. I would much rather see Anderson (by the way 2 homeruns and a double hear in the 12th) be pods temporary replacement. I would much rather see Pablo or even willie harris back up. Or better yet, Iguchi batting leadoff followed by Ross Gload, konerko, EVerett, AJ, Dye, or mix that last part up however. And Gload could play first let paulie dh and get that back better. Wow, i totally went off the topic, but the point being, Timo is a bench player that delievers when asked too. If you have some sort of personal vendetta against him, then fine (i would suspect you are a mets fan that is still upset about his baserunning blunder) but you really shouldnt downplay his success so far in do or die situations. Tell me one other person on that team you would like to see up with 2 outs and the tying/go-ahead run on second? I would say Rowand is a close runnerup but not lately. Timo will more then likely have more game winning hits all year and prove his stake on the team.

and PS, there are plenty of good/great athletes that just do not perform in the clutch. I would list them but I think i hear donovan mcnabb throwing up in my bathroom so i better go

Ok, use capital letters for the beginning of the sentence and turn off italics and you might be on your way pal!