PDA

View Full Version : How about Stairs?

infohawk
08-25-2005, 11:33 AM
If we can't get Griffey, maybe the Sox should engineer a trade with the Royals for Matt Stairs. Stairs is certainly no Griffey, but his power and, more importantly, .368 on-base percentage would look really nice in the three-hole. Check this out:

Pods -- .348 .OBP
Iguchi -- .344 .OBP
Stairs -- .368 .OBP (Carl's is .322)
Paulie -- .366 .OBP

Stairs wouldn't be an exciting acquistion, but he would add some pop AND .OBP to the top of the line-up. He's put up some decent numbers in a pretty awful line-up. More importantly, it probably wouldn't take much to get him and he could add some value to the team.

JRIG
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
If we can't get Griffey, maybe the Sox should engineer a trade with the Royals for Matt Stairs. Stairs is certainly no Griffey, but his power and, more importantly, .368 on-base percentage would look really nice in the three-hole. Check this out:

Pods -- .348 .OBP
Iguchi -- .344 .OBP
Stairs -- .368 .OBP (Carl's is .322)
Paulie -- .366 .OBP

Stairs wouldn't be an exciting acquistion, but he would add some pop AND .OBP to the top of the line-up. He's put up some decent numbers in a pretty awful line-up. More importantly, it probably wouldn't take much to get him and he could add some value to the team.

Stairs just said today he's working on a contract for next year with the Royals.

But I do think he'd be helpful.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-25-2005, 11:53 AM
only if we can somehow get Stairs' doppleganger, Ron Coomer. gotta love the Stoomer.

The Dude
08-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Stairs would be a solid backup/pinch hitter with some pop to his bat. I'd take him. He'd at least allow us to dump Timo.

08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
As long as Ozzie is Manager, Timo will have a job as a Major League ball player~ Hey he just saved a run for us though with that throw

maurice
08-25-2005, 01:07 PM
that throw

That's his 1 tool.

socko82
08-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Stairs just said today he's working on a contract for next year with the Royals.

But I do think he'd be helpful.

Stairs is a grinder and he can go back to the Royals this winter. If the Royals could loan him out, save a months salary, pick up a prospect and sign him back this winter they would probably go for it.

SOXfnNlansing
08-25-2005, 03:28 PM
I hate Stairs.... I guess everyone forgot the game in KC this year where he stole 2nd with the Sox winning big at the end of the game, and then scored to ruin the shut out. We was beaned the first time up in the next game... Ozzie would never want that Kruk look-a-like.

Madvora
08-25-2005, 03:48 PM
I hate Stairs.... I guess everyone forgot the game in KC this year where he stole 2nd with the Sox winning big at the end of the game, and then scored to ruin the shut out. We was beaned the first time up in the next game... Ozzie would never want that Kruk look-a-like.
I don't remember that, but that seems pretty stupid. The Sox were pissed because their opponent tried to score? How dare they!

SOXfnNlansing
08-25-2005, 05:02 PM
I don't remember that, but that seems pretty stupid. The Sox were pissed because their opponent tried to score? How dare they! It's baseball etiquette not to run when up big or down big in the 9th inning. I think the game was 8-0 and stairs led off the 9th with a walk.

DaleJRFan
08-25-2005, 05:08 PM
That's his 1 tool.

Hey maurice, can you say "Game-winning RBI"???

SouthSide_HitMen
08-25-2005, 08:17 PM
Matt Stairs just got hurt looking like he pulled his groin / leg muscle pretty bad. Royals looking to take the series from Boston up 4-1 tonight.

samram
08-25-2005, 09:31 PM
It's baseball etiquette not to run when up big or down big in the 9th inning. I think the game was 8-0 and stairs led off the 9th with a walk.

I've never heard that teams that are down big shouldn't steal.

My question is how did that fat bastard steal a base.

Norberto7
08-25-2005, 09:38 PM
...how did that fat bastard steal a base....

:kneeslap:

Norberto7
08-25-2005, 09:39 PM

Now that I look at it, does the "kneeslap" icon even have knees? :?:

CubsfansareDRUNK
08-25-2005, 10:03 PM

looks like he's swatting a fly

Soxzilla
08-25-2005, 10:49 PM

He is snapping his fingers.

And Stairs didn't "steal," it's called 'runner's indifference.' If teams didn't take the extra base when down big, they wouldn't have come up with that rule, so I'm not sure what lansing is talking about.

skobabe8
08-26-2005, 01:15 AM
He is snapping his fingers.

No way. He's supposed to be slapping something---I assume his knee. Look close.

Soxzilla
08-26-2005, 12:42 PM
No way. He's supposed to be slapping something---I assume his knee. Look close.

No, he is snapping his fingers. Look at the lines the animations creates after he finishes his motion, they come from his fingers.

It's also obvious by the way he is moving the rest of his body. As if to say 'oh snap.'

EDIT - You can also tell because his pointer finger and his thumb stick out after he finishes 'snapping' them. Just like when you snap your fingers.

SOXfnNlansing
08-28-2005, 12:41 AM
I've never heard that teams that are down big shouldn't steal.

My question is how did that fat bastard steal a base. he wasn't being held on. Hawk said that no one steals up or down big in the 9th, it's bush