PDA

View Full Version : *Official* "Totally Biased" thread on opponents' radio voices

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2005, 09:32 AM
Thank goodness for XM radio. It's a real pleasure to hear Rooney and Farmer do White Sox home games.

It's also quite interesting to hear the radio voices of the Sox opponents when they are on the road. So far I've heard the announcers for the Yankees, Red Sox and Twins. Living in Texas, I've also heard the Rangers announcers do Sox-Rangers games.

The Red Sox announcers did not elicit a strong reaction in me in any particular way.

The Rangers' radio guys are good but rather bland and generic.

The Yankees announcers come across the airwaves as, quite frankly, the most arrogant, patrician voices I've ever heard. They perfectly expressed the "center of the universe" attitude of the Yankees organization, evident in the smug facial expressions of Giambi, A-Rod and Jeter. Even if the Yanks' announcers give millions of dollars and hundreds of volunteer hours every year to feed starving orphans, the fact remains that their on-air personalities make the non-Yankee fan who is listening only hate the Evil Empire even more.
:angry:

I know the Twins' John Gordon is a well-respected radio voice. But listening to him while the Sox are playing the Twins is like listening to a screaming tomcat being castrated without anaesthesia. His frequent changes in pitch when a batter swings (particularly in the top of the ninth on Tuesday when the Sox only got Everett aboard and Timo, Konerko and Rowand went down) only rubbed salt in the wound of a very painful loss. (Maybe I'd better appreciate listening to him call a Twins win over the Indians.) Because he was so annoying, last night I turned off the XM and instead followed the WSI game thread and the Tribune's text-based scoreboard updates.
:(:

I guess now I know how fans of opposing teams feel when Hawk exclaims "Gaaassss," "You can put it on the board! Yes!," "Stretch" and "He Gone!"
:redface:

What other teams' announcers can we XM listeners and/or out of market Sox fans recommend or proscribe?

spiffie
08-25-2005, 09:40 AM
I hear good things about the Chicago NL team's radio crew. Quite the understated nuanced duo they say.

Baby Fisk
08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Stay away from Blue Jays radio (as if you already wouldn't!). It's more numbing than dentist music.

ma-gaga
08-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I know the Twins' Herb Carneal is an incredibly well-respected radio voice. But listening to him while the Sox are playing the Twins is like listening to a screaming tomcat being castrated without anaesthesia. His frequent changes in pitch when a batter swings

Just clarifying here. Herb Carneal has mostly retired. So I think you are referring to John Gordon. I can't stand him, but has been recognized/rated as a decent pbp announcer from an unbiased viewpoint.

USA Today did a analysis of this a month ago: HERE (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm)

skobabe8
08-25-2005, 11:43 AM
The Devil Rays guy is awesome!
:wills "Thanks."

Frater Perdurabo
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Just clarifying here. Herb Carneal has mostly retired. So I think you are referring to John Gordon. I can't stand him, but has been recognized/rated as a decent pbp announcer from an unbiased viewpoint.

USA Today did a analysis of this a month ago: HERE (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-07-26-announcers-al_x.htm)

After looking at that link, I guess Gordon is the one with the annoying "swiiiing and a miss."

StockdaleForVeep
08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
To me, the tigers' announcers sound like theyre tourists and dont wanna risk saying anythin biased

soltrain21
08-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Did you hear Mark Grace say that stuff about Pedro last night? The no hitter jinx?

I thought that was the stupidest thing in the world. People say the Sox announcers are biased? Give me a break.

Daver
08-26-2005, 05:58 PM
To me, the tigers' announcers sound like theyre tourists and dont wanna risk saying anythin biased

Give them a break, they replaced a living legend, and one of the best baseball announcers ever.

HotelWhiteSox
08-26-2005, 06:11 PM
The Cardinal's radio guy, from the brief clips I hear on Sporting News highlights, is the radio version of Hawk, screaming 'Get Up!' and then 'Come on baby! Come on baby!' to the runners, homerism is everywhere, people like to pick on the Sox though, maybe because of when they hear him on national WGN, but it's their problem if they can't get a local broadcast

A list came out a couple weeks ago ranking radio guys and Rooney and Farmer tops in the AL, Scully for the Dodgers on top overall. I just know that it's a pleasure, actually a bonus to have our radio team on the dial

LoganSox
08-26-2005, 07:29 PM
anyone see the ESPN story last night about the Devil Rays spanish language radio crew? one of the guys is blind!!!!

He's the color commentator, of course.

I'm not kidding, he also does spanish language radio for the Bucs.

On the one hand it's nice he has this opportunity, he must have a great voice, on the hand, it's weird to think this was the best they could do...though he must be a legend in Tampa...

HotelWhiteSox
08-26-2005, 08:11 PM
anyone see the ESPN story last night about the Devil Rays spanish language radio crew? one of the guys is blind!!!!

On the one hand it's nice he has this opportunity, he must have a great voice, on the hand, it's weird to think this was the best they could do...though he must be a legend in Tampa...

Yeah, that was insane. I don't want to sound mean, but I'm guessing it was a move made more out of sympathy, obviously blind and that job are a bit of miss matches, although his wife tells him what's going in his ear during the game

whtsx1959
08-26-2005, 08:34 PM
Yeah, that was insane. I don't want to sound mean, but I'm guessing it was a move made more out of sympathy, obviously blind and that job are a bit of miss matches, although his wife tells him what's going in his ear during the game
There was a story on WGN or FOX last year about this high school sports reporter who was blind, he would go off the crowd reaction and could keep score in his head and also keep time (only about ten seconds off).

When the Sox were in a rain delay against the Royals I tuned into the Royals talk and thought they were pretty funny. The would talk about how bad previous teams were (2001) without mentioning anything about the current year.

StockdaleForVeep
08-27-2005, 01:09 AM
Give them a break, they replaced a living legend, and one of the best baseball announcers ever.

http://www.evilmonkey.tv/gallery/S02E02/images/PDVD_019.jpg
Touche salesman

RadioheadRocks
08-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Stay away from Blue Jays radio (as if you already wouldn't!). It's more numbing than dentist music.

Hmmmm... wouldn't mind listening to see what it's all aBOAT! :D:

Frater Perdurabo
08-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Seattle's announcers were pretty good last night on XM...much better than the Twins' and Yankees' radio PBP guys.

Still, I'm looking forward to watching tonight with Hawk and DJ on WGN!

:supernana:

harwar
08-27-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't mind the mariners broadcasters on the tv side but last night they were just a little bit too full of themselves with that young Hernandez kid.
They were taken down a notch or two after bad boy Brian hit his second home run.

downstairs
08-28-2005, 07:48 AM

It's called "I don't want this job, I am merely auditioning for a network job."

The more national coverage has grown for baseball (networks, ESPN, etc.) the more this "vanilla" style has become the fashion.

TornLabrum
08-28-2005, 08:55 AM
It's called "I don't want this job, I am merely auditioning for a network job."

The more national coverage has grown for baseball (networks, ESPN, etc.) the more this "vanilla" style has become the fashion.

I think a lot of that can be traced to Curt Gowdy when he started doing the Game of the Week. Gowdy spoke in a monotone. When anything exciting happened in a game, he simply increase the volume while still speaking in that monotone. He used to pride himself on being "an objective reporter of the game." After years of being exposed to Jack Brickhouse, I found him boring. Now so many people sound like "objective reporters of the game" on local broadcasts, you'd never know they were paid by the team employing them.

SOXSINCE'70
08-28-2005, 09:39 AM
Hmmmm... wouldn't mind listening to see what it's all aBOAT! :D:

Actually,i'd like to know what it's all "aboot".:D: :D:

See the "South Park" movie,and you'll know what
i'm talking "aboot".:D: :D:

Fuller_Schettman
09-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Last night, mlbtv had the Tigers feed. Not sure on the names, but I think they were Mario Impemba and Rod Allen. These guys were off-the-hook! They were TOTALLY into the Mullet Night deal and their witty repartee throughout the game was the best I have heard all season. They were not shy about talking up how great the Sox were playing and how deep they might go in the post season.

Great stuff!! :thumbsup:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Last night, mlbtv had the Tigers feed. Not sure on the names, but I think they were Mario Impemba and Rod Allen. These guys were off-the-hook! They were TOTALLY into the Mullet Night deal and their witty repartee throughout the game was the best I have heard all season. They were not shy about talking up how great the Sox were playing and how deep they might go in the post season.

Great stuff!! :thumbsup:

Maybe they were creating audition tapes for Rooney's job. :dunno:

SOXSINCE'70
09-03-2005, 08:25 PM
After looking at that link, I guess Gordon is the one with the annoying "swiiiing and a miss."

:rooney
"I also use the phrase "A swiiing and a miss".

Frater Perdurabo
09-03-2005, 08:37 PM
:rooney
"I also use the phrase "A swiiing and a miss," but at least I don't sound as if someone's kicking me in the groin each time I say it."
:tongue:

Optipessimism
09-03-2005, 09:12 PM
I guess now I know how fans of opposing teams feel when Hawk exlaims "Gaaassss," "You can put it on the board! Yes!," "Stretch" and "He Gone!"
:redface:

Yeah, but who cares about them?

CallMeNuts
09-04-2005, 10:19 AM

With the Rays, the job must be a lot easier if you don't have to watch. I bet even Wills wishes he could just close his eyes some nights.

SOXintheBURGH
09-04-2005, 10:46 AM
With the Rays, the job must be a lot easier if you don't have to watch. I bet even Wills wishes he could just close his eyes some nights.

Wills call was amazing when the Rays came back to beat Boston a few weeks ago. Man, I wish I could hear that enthusiasm on the South Side.