PDA

View Full Version : Luke Appling's home run off of Warren Spahn

Trav
08-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Can anyone tell me the story on this. I heard a brief mention of this and I am trying to piece together the info to make sense. It was the last HR in DC before this year and he was 75 years old? I'm a bit confused.

hose
08-25-2005, 06:24 AM
Appling to him deep at RFK in the Cracker Jack All-Star game.

LUKE, LUKE, LUKE, APPLING , APPLING ....and the crowd goes crazy.:bandance:

Trav
08-25-2005, 07:21 AM
What was the Cracker Jack all-star game? Was it the regular all-star game sponsored by Cracker Jack?

SaltyPretzel
08-25-2005, 07:23 AM
It was hit at RFK when it was configured for football, so the left field line was maybe 275 feet. It was still cool nevertheless.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2005, 07:53 AM
What was the Cracker Jack all-star game? Was it the regular all-star game sponsored by Cracker Jack?

It was an old-timers game set up by MLB and sponsored by Cracker Jack. I believe it was played each year the day before the all-star game.

When asked how he did it Appling replied, "It was a good pitch and I swung away."

Classic.
:cool:

Trav
08-25-2005, 07:56 AM
It was an old-timers game set up by MLB and sponsored by Cracker Jack. I believe it was played each year the day before the all-star game.

When asked how he did it Appling replied, "It was a good pitch and I swung away."

Classic.
:cool:

Thanks.

If you don't mind humoring me some more, When did they stop playing the game and was it always in DC? At the time there wasn't a team in DC, correct?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-25-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks.

If you don't mind humoring me some more, When did they stop playing the game and was it always in DC? At the time there wasn't a team in DC, correct?

The game moved around with the all-star game. IIRC, Bowie Kuhn was from D.C. and always promised he would bring a team back to D.C. and playing the all-star game there was a bit of a sop before he left as commissioner.

I'm guessing lack of interest killed the old-timers game. "Skills" competitions became all the rage, led by the NBA's slam dunk contest. Now we have juiced ballplayers hitting 500 foot home runs and all the idiot fans go, "Ohhhhhhh!"

:nandrolone
"As far as I'm concerned winning the homerun derby in Milwaukee was the REAL championship in 2002."

Baby Fisk
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
Appling's HR happened in 1982. There is a brief mention of it in The White Sox Fan's Little Book of Wisdom. That book was compiled by the guy who operates this website. (http://www.thesouthsider.com/)

bobowhite
08-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I saw the hit. Went with my dad on tickets as a birthday present for him.

I didn't think Spahn could get the ball to the plate, much less over it. Appling swung even though I don't think he saw the ball. He was blinking so badly and squinting you could see it from the stands.

misty60481
08-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Spahn jokingly said next time up---right in his ear---