PDA

View Full Version : White Sox 40 Man Roster Movement

JDsDirtySox
08-24-2005, 11:50 PM
According to Brian Dolgin on the AM 1000 Sox post-game show, Sox minor league pitcher Matt Smith (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=434599) was outrighted to Charlotte so the 40-man roster now sits at only 39. HMMMMM.

PushnThaEscalade
08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
Don't read much into it. Griffey isn't coming here.

mmmmmbeeer
08-24-2005, 11:53 PM
According to Brian Dolgin on the AM 1000 Sox post-game show, Sox minor league pitcher Matt Smith (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=434599) was outrighted to Charlotte so the 40-man roster now sits at only 39. HMMMMM.

well, that can't be anything but a good thing

DickAllen72
08-24-2005, 11:54 PM
This was done to make room for Griffey. That's why Hawk changed his tune tonight and said if KW gets Griffey it would be because it was the best thing for the club. :smile:

On second thought, maybe I should have posted that in deep pink.

BFirebird
08-24-2005, 11:57 PM

HMMM indeed...good things coming

tweek57
08-25-2005, 12:01 AM
Can anyone even confirm this?

CLR01
08-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Can anyone even confirm this?

From chicagosports.com:

http://pics.forecaster.ca/std/gif.gifAug 24, 2005Matt Smith (http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-sox/baseball/player.cgi?5221)Outrighted to Charlotte (AAA).http://pics.forecaster.ca/std/gif.gif

http://forecaster.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/chicagosports-sox/baseball/movements.cgi?ChA

TheOldRoman
08-25-2005, 02:55 AM
Well, this may not mean we are getting Griffey, but it looks like KW is bringing someone in within the next few days.

CLR01
08-25-2005, 03:08 AM
Well, this may not mean we are getting Griffey, but it looks like KW is bringing someone in within the next few days.

They may be doing it to bring someone, who is not on the 40 man roster, up when the rosters expand. Wait and see I guess.

ThinWhiteDuque
08-25-2005, 03:40 AM
They may be doing it to bring someone, who is not on the 40 man roster, up when the rosters expand. Wait and see I guess.

Chris Young?

PushnThaEscalade
08-25-2005, 08:06 AM
It's not Pods. He's on the 40. Either we're calling up someone, or we may have landed a bat from the waiver wire

SoxinAZ
08-25-2005, 11:37 AM
We're just getting ready for the doubleheader with Texas next week.

MushMouth
08-25-2005, 11:39 AM
We're just getting ready for the doubleheader with Texas next week.

They're bringing up McCarthy, who is already on the 40-man roster, to pitch in the DH...

miker
08-25-2005, 11:42 AM
They're bringing up McCarthy to pitchin the DH
Huh? :?:

CHISOXFAN13
08-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Huh? :?:

I agree. That was an awful outing for McCarthy in Texas. I'm not so sure the Sox will be quick to give him the ball again there this season.

MushMouth
08-25-2005, 11:50 AM
I agree. That was an awful outing for McCarthy in Texas. I'm not so sure the Sox will be quick to give him the ball again there this season.

Maybe so, but they announced McCarthy was coming up for the DH start in the trib this morning.

SoxinAZ
08-25-2005, 11:58 AM
Maybe so, but they announced McCarthy was coming up for the DH start in the trib this morning.

It appears that pitcher Brandon McCarthy will get called up to start in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas. McCarthy (7-7) has lowered his ERA to 3.92 and has struck out 130 in 119 innings for Triple-A Charlotte. The Sox opened a spot on their 40-man roster by outrighting Charlotte pitcher Matt Smith. Smith was 1-6 with a 3.86 ERA with three saves in 58 games. General manager Ken Williams will join the team Friday in Seattle to discuss their Sept. 1 minor-league call-ups.

russ99
08-25-2005, 12:06 PM

I actually think this is a good move. Let the kid try and prove he can cut it against the same team he got bombed by.

miker
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Actually I was "huh-ing" the line "pitchin the DH", but I finally figured that meant "starting pitcher for one game of the double header".

Now my reaction is somewhere between crossing my fingers and cringing...

Isn't there a better abbreviation for double-header than DH? My mind keeps thinking Designated Hitter.

Brian26
08-25-2005, 12:10 PM
I've got way more confidence in BMac right now than anyone else down at Charlotte. Munoz and Diaz would probably get lit up like Xmas trees in Arlington.

Also, this preserves the Sox nice little streak of having only 6 guys at starters this year.

kevingrt
08-25-2005, 04:34 PM
Does B-Mac starting in the double header have anything to do with the extra spot on the 40-man roster? Is there still hope KW will bring someone new into this team? Or have we lost all hope? Griffey or no Griffey I would like someone.

Jjav829
08-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Does B-Mac starting in the double header have anything to do with the extra spot on the 40-man roster? Is there still hope KW will bring someone new into this team? Or have we lost all hope? Griffey or no Griffey I would like someone.

Bmac is already on the 40-man roster. It's possible this could lead to a trade that brings in a player from another team. Or it could be that Kenny wants to open a spot up for someone that isn't on the 40-man roster that he would like to see get a little action after September 1 (ie Chris Young, Greg Norton, Jerry Owens, etc). Hopefully it is the former.

wilburaga
08-25-2005, 04:41 PM

B-Mac is already on the 40 man roster, so the Smith move has no bearing on his status for next Tuesday.

W

champagne030
08-25-2005, 05:06 PM
B-Mac is already on the 40 man roster, so the Smith move has no bearing on his status for next Tuesday.

W

This may be incorrect, but the Sun-Times had this blurb in today's paper.....

"MAKING ROOM: The Sox outrighted Class AAA pitcher Matt Smith to Charlotte to reduce the 40-man roster to 39. The move gives the Sox the option of using a player not on the current 40-man roster to start a game in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas, such as Class AA pitchers Nik Lubisich (8-4, 2.93 ERA) or Heath Phillips (9-5, 3.66). Both are left-handers, and the Rangers are loaded with left-handed hitters."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug25.html

Mickster
08-25-2005, 05:12 PM
This may be incorrect, but the Sun-Times had this blub in today's paper.....

"MAKING ROOM: The Sox outrighted Class AAA pitcher Matt Smith to Charlotte to reduce the 40-man roster to 39. The move gives the Sox the option of using a player not on the current 40-man roster to start a game in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas, such as Class AA pitchers Nik Lubisich (8-4, 2.93 ERA) or Heath Phillips (9-5, 3.66). Both are left-handers, and the Rangers are loaded with left-handed hitters."

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug25.html

Complete speculation from the Flub Times. I highly doubt that clearing the roster spot has anything to do with a start in Texas.

maurice
08-25-2005, 06:20 PM
The move gives the Sox the option of using a player not on the current 40-man roster to start a game in Tuesday's doubleheader at Texas, such as Class AA pitchers Nik Lubisich (8-4, 2.93 ERA) or Heath Phillips (9-5, 3.66). Both are left-handers, and the Rangers are loaded with left-handed hitters."

This is extremely unlikely. There are numerous, more likely candidates for the Texas game, including the most obvious choice (McCarthy). These aren't even the best left-handed candidates. Lubisich just came off the DL and is being stretched out. Phillips was demoted to AA, because he pitched poorly at AAA this season.

Is Burke on the 40 man? Ozzie will want a 3rd catcher.

deck27
08-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Is Burke on the 40 man? Ozzie will want a 3rd catcher.

Only two catchers on the 40.

GoGoOzzie
08-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Per Whitesox.com:

Rotation adjustment: Brandon McCarthy looks to be the favorite for Tuesday's second-game start of a rainout-forced doubleheader against Texas. Since altering the slot on his delivery around the All-Star break, McCarthy has dominated International League competition. The right-hander's ERA has dropped to 3.85, with 130 strikeouts and 103 hits allowed over 119 1/3 innings.

McCarthy pitched on Tuesday, striking out 10, and would be working on six days' rest.

"We don't want to use anyone from the bullpen, and McCarthy is ready to pitch on that day," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "There's a good percentage it's going to be McCarthy."

Guillen will discuss McCarthy's return during a Friday morning meeting with general manager Ken Williams, who will join the team in Seattle. The other main issue on the agenda is September callups, with Guillen favoring the less-is-more concept.

Judging by Guillen's comments during Thursday's pregame media session, Ross Gload and Willie Harris appear to be locks to return for the final month. Outfielder Brian Anderson, who figures to get sent down upon Scott Podsednik's activation from the disabled list, and Jon Adkins, who probably will be moved after Tuesday's first game to make room for McCarthy, also should return.

There was mention of another pitcher, possibly left-hander Arnie Munoz, and a third catcher. But there was no talk of outfielder Joe Borchard, who hit his 26th home run for Charlotte on Wednesday. Ultimately, Guillen will heed the advice of Williams and director of player development Dave Wilder. "I might need another coach to throw batting practice," said Guillen with a laugh. "Besides that, I don't think I need more than two or three guys, but right now, it's up to what Kenny wants."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050825&content_id=1183424&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Mohoney
08-25-2005, 07:13 PM
Or it could be that Kenny wants to open a spot up for someone that isn't on the 40-man roster that he would like to see get a little action after September 1 (ie Chris Young, Greg Norton, Jerry Owens, etc). Hopefully it is the former.

Does Chris Young need to be added to the 40 man before the next Rule 5 draft? I think he does, but I'm not entirely sure.

HotelWhiteSox
08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Or it could be bad news in regards to Crede

NDSox12
08-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Or it could be bad news in regards to Crede

Since this move was made well before today's game, I don't think that's it.

Daver
08-25-2005, 08:48 PM
Does Chris Young need to be added to the 40 man before the next Rule 5 draft? I think he does, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm not sure either, but it wouldn't have to be now in either case, he could be added after FA opens in Oct.

charlotteknights
08-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Matt Smith didn't find out that he was removed until three days later. None of the coaching staff bothered to tell him. Pretty sure that there are trade talks going on concerning Borchard, that's probably why he hasn't been mentioned. I just can't imagine them taking Munoz up anytime soon, but I've been fooled before. Posednick is coming down here for two rehab starts and as of yet, no mention of sending Anderson down.

Gavin
08-25-2005, 08:53 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:_QjbmZg3RHsJ:edition.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/megastorm/images/main.jpg
"Meterologists around the globe have predicted a 'WSI Perfect Storm', expected to hit shores within the next few days."

TheOldRoman
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Judging by Guillen's comments during Thursday's pregame media session, Ross Gload and Willie Harris appear to be locks to return for the final month. Outfielder Brian Anderson, who figures to get sent down upon Scott Podsednik's activation from the disabled list, and Jon Adkins, who probably will be moved after Tuesday's first game to make room for McCarthy, also should return.
NOOOOO!!!
:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:
Do we really need to go through this again?
Did Ozzie not realize that Willie is sucks?
He has no talent, is head is up his ass, and he is worthless to this team. We have 2 back up infielders already, and both of them are infinately better than Willie at the plate. Blum is also much much better than Willie defensively, and can play more than one position.
I will be beyond pissed if we go back to the "Iguchi only plays 2 out of every 3 to get Willie playing time" rotation. Iguchi can play more than 2/3 days, but if that rotation must be done, it should happen with Blum or Ozuna, not Harris. I don't know our minor league system, but we have to have some young player that will be of more value to the 2005 Sox that we can call up. We can't even use Willie as a pinch runner because of his horrible instincts.