PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8/24/2005 Busting Out Big Postgame Thread

FielderJones
08-24-2005, 09:43 PM
:winner
:twinslose
:indianslose

Nice jobs by Crazy Carl, Gooch, AJ, Paulie, Mark, and Timo! The guys have been hitting the ball hard lately, and today they found some holes. Do we still need to fire Greg Walker?

Jndjans get absolutely hammered by the D-Rays!

Maybe we can start seeing a little sunshine around these parts. Even though things got a little dicey, let's look at this series from the Twinks point of view. Two more games off the schedule, and nothing to show for it. Maybe the Twinks depend on the home run ball too much.

Go White Sox! (hand in the air) :supernana:

Brian26
08-24-2005, 09:45 PM
Lead back up to 8.0 games.

Whew. Some breathing room :D:

Magic Number is 30 now?

Viva Medias B's
08-24-2005, 09:46 PM
We won because we hit. Let's make it a habitual occurrence and make that now 8-game lead grow, putting the concerns we discussed last night to rest.

PaleHoseGeorge
Nobody is more excited about this Sox victory than the WSI moderating staff.

:supernana:

CubsfansareDRUNK
a little shaky at the end but thank you offense. Phew.

chisoxmike
Jesus. Nothing's easy is it? I don't get why Politte came out but whatever, a win is a win.

Let's hope this one doesn't give flashbacks to that second game at the Cell in 2003.

SoxFanSince67
That's 2 out of the last 3!

Cat Thief
This is season is going to make my hair completely gray.

:nuts:

kninchicago
08-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Great hitting there, finally, but I must admit I got nervous there during the bottom of the 9th. Boy did we need that win.

voodoochile
:winner

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana:

That's got to hurt if you are a twinkie or toons fan. Heck, that one might even leave a mark...

Is that a hammer working I hear?

FarWestChicago

:supernana:Oh yeah. We'll get about 20 replies to this thread without the pisspants and brownleggers going off. :redneck

Frankfan4life
Seems like if the Sox don't score six runs, they don't win. So, here's hoping they get six again tomorrow.

soxjim
Good job Mark. We got double digit hits. When is the last time we did that?

TomBradley72
Jesus. Nothing's easy is it? I don't get why Politte came out but whatever, a win is a win.

Let's hope this one doesn't give flashbacks to that second game at the Cell in 2003.

The Paniagua game?

SouthSide_HitMen
08-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When the Sox win, my how they fly

Blue days
All of them gone
Nothing but blue skies
From now on

http://www.villageofpennyan.com/pd/images/keuka-lake-blue-sm.jpg

SoXPriDe33
What a game, a little nervous at the end there but hey this has to be the busting out game for the Sox. But this 8 game lead should give us some breathing room for a little while. :D: Let's go get 'em tomorrow.

GO SOX!!!!! :bandance: :supernana: :bandance:

Kogs35
whooooooo hooooooooooo nice job today for burly and the offense. go get em tomorow jon:bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp: :gulp:

Heffalump
YES !!!!....GO SOX !!

(remember: the secret password is "mashed potatoes")

DickAllen72
Buehrle was great and Carl provided the big offensive lift with 4 RBI's.

Bullpen not looking good. Politte had a rough time and Marte didn't get it done. Can't rely on a closer whose bad back prevents him from pitching complete innings and keeps him out of too many games so he can't stay sharp.

At least we held on and the Indians lost!

Blob
Ahh, nothing like making it exciting at the end! The way Timo catches scares me sometimes. Glad to see we scored enough runs to night to overcome that ending.

Buehrle is awesome!

voodoochile
We won because we hit. Let's make it a habitual occurrence and make that now 8-game lead grow, putting the concerns we discussed last night to rest.

discussed or disgust?

Not much rational discussion around these parts recently...:rolleyes:

Brian26

LOL! POST OF THE WEEK! :D:

HotelWhiteSox
Great signs by the offense

How can we give MB a start in the playoffs, he doesn't show up in big games

cheeses_h_rice
08-24-2005, 09:49 PM
That 9th inning almost overshadowed what should have been a great blowout win by the Sox, spearheaded by Mark Buehrle's great performance.

Yes, we won, but good lord can our bullpen give up any fatter pitches to the Twins' mashers? I seriously thought that last at bat to Timo was going to go under his glove or over his head, the way he sort of collapsed onto the field. This was the worst game for my blood pressure in a long time, and it should have been a blowout.

Anyway. Exhale. Sox won, and that's all that matters.

Magic Number? SHRINKING

Twins chances? SHRINKING

Baggie Dome idiots? SHUTtingthehellup

:gulp:

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-24-2005, 09:50 PM
(remember: the secret password is "mashed potatoes")

I missed that...I heard DJ say it, but missed the explanation..anyone?

chisoxmike
08-24-2005, 09:50 PM
The Paniagua game?

Yeah.

Pasqua's UPS Man
08-24-2005, 09:51 PM
COME ON TIMO!
Nize Catch! :o: :gulp: :redneck

JB98
08-24-2005, 09:52 PM
What a relief. Anyone else think Buerhle should have been allowed to finish the game? Mark was outstanding tonight, and he had thrown only 105 pitches. I thought it should have been his game until the end. Oh, well. Hermanson wasn't great, but he was good enough.

Let's take this series and put the Twinks in their place.

darklord23
08-24-2005, 09:53 PM
Great win, but that was way to close.

PAPChiSox729
08-24-2005, 09:53 PM
The Paniagua game?

Don't even say that. Bad, bad memories. That isn't going to happen this time.
:cool:

Madvora
08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
I originally said that they shouldn't post the magic number until 25, but screw it...
30 !

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 09:55 PM
Timo has some hot dog in him, all melodramatic with the final flyout. I guess he felt we NEEDED this win, too.

TomBradley72
08-24-2005, 09:56 PM
What a relief. Anyone else think Buerhle should have been allowed to finish the game? Mark was outstanding tonight, and he had thrown only 105 pitches. I thought it should have been his game until the end. Oh, well. Hermanson wasn't great, but he was good enough.

Ozzie's becoming the new "tinkerer"....Timo pinch hitting for Iguchi last night...should have let Mark start the 9th...if he gets in trouble or starts to throw a ton pitches pull him then. Reminds me of the Cotts start at Yankee Stadium in '03...don't overthink things.

SoxSpeed22
What a crap job by the bullpen, WE WANT COTTS!
Now that that's said, go Carl! We got the hits we needed and Buehrle did his job. JD saved a run and drove one in too. Get 2/3 from these guys tommorow and the dark clouds scatter.:supernana: (158)

TomParrish79
nothing like a big win to make a crappy day seem so much better (and dont flame me I had a crappy day not the sox)

now lets hope we can snowball these wins and get everyone calmed back down

Cat Thief
Timo has some hot dog in him, all melodramatic with the final flyout. I guess he felt we NEEDED this win, too.

Hot dog or did he almost blow the play?

brewcrew/chisox
08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Great game, and I didn't see an inning of it. I listed to John and Ed tonight as the picture is sometimes better with radio.

Nice job Carlasaurus!

I wouldn't worry too much about the bullpen; as I think Polite, Marte and Hermie were a little rusty without some regular work lately.

Madvora
08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Ozzie's becoming the new "tinkerer"....Timo pinch hitting for Iguchi last night...should have let Mark start the 9th...if he gets in trouble or starts to throw a ton pitches pull him then. Reminds me of the Cotts start at Yankee Stadium in '03...don't overthink things.
Melton made a good point about that. We had a 5 run lead going into the 9th against a team that hasn't been hitting that well. You should definitely expect your bullpen to pull off that win. If you can't rely on you pen to secure a 5 run lead, then you don't belong in the playoffs.

CHISOXFAN13
08-24-2005, 09:58 PM
Don't even say that. Bad, bad memories. That isn't going to happen this time.

Difference is Paniagua was a headcase who was brought in late in the season.

Pollitte has been a valuable piece of this team all season.

It's not a big deal.

UofCSoxFan
08-24-2005, 09:58 PM
I was in the left field bleachers of the damn paniagua game...worst win ever. :angry:

Once again another great job by the starting pitching....keep it up, add a little offense and this team is right there. I'm anxious to see us keep the sticks going. When you get hits with people on base good things can happen.

A little concern for the pen a bit at the end but I'll chalk it up to rust in pitching with a lead and leave it at that.

infohawk
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
The Paniagua game?

I knew someone would bring that up!!! Nah, there's nothing to that late-in-the- previous-game momentum stuff. If there was, the Sox wouldn't have gone on that losing steak after losing that game to the Red Sox at Fenway by one run after scoring three runs in the top of the ninth.

Politte was up in the zone and the Twins got some hits, as they should have. I don't think Cliff has pitched much lately and he was rusty. I mean, if Nick Punto hits a homer it's not because he suddenly became a good hitter, but rather because the pitch was up and probably straight.

greenpeach
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Lead back up to 8.0 games.

Whew. Some breathing room :D:

Magic Number is 30 now?

It's 10 in the loss column & that's what really matters. We need to take the rubber match tomorrow to put al ittle more distance between us & the rest of the division before Labor Day. Don't give anyone a glimmer of hope.

PAPChiSox729
08-24-2005, 10:00 PM

It's not a big deal.

Eh, the thoughts of what unfolded after that game still bother me. Any mention of his name and I shudder. I'm not worried about the team. I just hate the name Jose Paniagua.

BanditJimmy
As usual, the Sox cannot play the perfect game.

Here is Buehrle in complete domination for 8 innings, and Ozzie (the moron that he is) decides he had enough and needs to give the pen some work. A pen which will be tested because of 14 games in 13 days coming up starting with last night. You figure the pen will need as many days off as possible, and Buehrle had only thrown about 105 pitches.

It takes 3 pitchers in that pen to close down the game in nail-biting fashion. This should never happen.

The same thing that happed in the Indians game on that one Saturday afternoon Fox game where it poored rain, you figured Ozzie would learn from that game and stick to one guy. In this case it would have been Buehrle.

I am happy with the win but right now I don't know what I fear more coming down the stretch:

1. Our bad offense.
or
2. Our manager who doesn't have a clue.

UofCSoxFan
good ol bread and water (paniagua) also flipped off the umpire when he got taken out...another reason to not compare this.

SouthSide_HitMen

It's not a big deal.

The ironic thing is Paniagua's most comperable player is....

Cliff Politte

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/paniajo01.shtml

(which will change after this awesome season is in the books).

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:01 PM
....If you can't rely on you pen to secure a 5 run lead, then you don't belong in the playoffs.

Watsa matter, li'l Madvora? Did the big bad ol' White Sockies make your widdle hart go pitter patter in de ninth inning? Poor baby...

voodoochile
08-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Hot dog or did he almost blow the play?

WHO ****ING CARES!?!??!??????!?????? :rolleyes:

Mr. White Sox
I wouldn't worry about the bullpen, except that they may have been a bit overmanaged (Politte could've gone all 1.0...)

My one criticism of the game was not using Brian Anderson. Rowand is really, really scuffling, so I would've liked for him to have a day off today and put BA in CF...now BA, if he starts, will be facing Carlos Silva and Felix Hernandez...not cool.

infohawk
Hey, the Sox have won two out of the last three. A little momentum???

DickAllen72

Even though it was not a save situation, in a game like this the way the team has been going for the past couple of weeks, the closer should have pitched the ninth. Because Dustin's back is iffy, the closer role should be given to Cotts or Jenks.

jdm2662
How about a game where I can actually relax boys? Nice to see the bats come alive tonight. See what happens when you actually score runs?? You can afford bullpen mishaps.

voodoochile
08-24-2005, 10:03 PM

Here is Buehrle in complete domination for 8 innings, and Ozzie (the moron that he is) decides he had enough and needs to give the pen some work. A pen which will be tested because of 14 games in 13 days coming up starting with last night. You figure the pen will need as many days off as possible, and Buehrle had only thrown about 105 pitches.

It takes 3 pitchers in that pen to close down the game in nail-biting fashion. This should never happen.

The same thing that happed in the Indians game on that one Saturday afternoon Fox game where it poored rain, you figured Ozzie would learn from that game and stick to one guy. In this case it would have been Buehrle.

I am happy with the win but right now I don't know what I fear more coming down the stretch:

1. Our bad offense.
or

3. Sox fans like you...

guess which one I am voting for...

ChiSoxlukes
08-24-2005, 10:04 PM

1. Our bad offense.
or

What doesn't Ozzie have a clue about????? MB didn't need to be pitching that 9th innning if that is what you are talking about.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
3. Sox fans like you...

He's not a fan. He's a dope. No clue what the **** he is talking about...

Go watch the Bears. Kyle Orton will lead them to the Big 10 championship.

FarWestChicago

1. Our bad offense.
or
2. Our manager who doesn't have a clue.Oh shut the hell up!! My gawd, last night was your night. Take a break until you can rejoice in the next Sox loss. :rolleyes:

hose
Burls comes through with a great game:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Great to see the Sox get the offense going tonight. The hit total doesn't reflect how good they were swinging the bats tonight. Plenty of hard hit balls and the Twins were throwing some leather around.

Norberto7
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
The Paniagua game?

Ah, the true measure of infamy!

When a man pitches what, 1/3 of an inning or something like that as a member of the club, and you can name the game after him...yes, infamy.

Magic Number? SHRINKING

Twins chances? SHRINKING

Baggie Dome idiots? SHUTtingthehellup

:gulp:

Haha! Nice font size channeling of ChiSoxBob...and yeah, that Timo catch wasn't textbook, but I thought it was kind of cool. Granted, he's not very good, but of any of the Sox on the slump, he seemed at least to be keeping loose and playing for fun.

And, Hotel White Sox, your sig gives me pleasure....those commercials are funny.

BanditJimmy
3. Sox fans like you...

you would be the same guy who probably was shocked to see our 2000 team go 3 and out versus an average Mariners team.

I'm a die hard fan, but I have to recognize when my team has deficiencies.

TomBradley72

He may not have a clue...but he does have the best record in the American League.

Palehose13

:supernana:

Absolutely!

FarWestChicago
08-24-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm a die hard fan, but I have to recognize when my team has deficiencies.Not here, not after a win. Consider that a final warning.

soxjim
I'm trying to remain positive. Last 3 starters did good. We have won 2 of 3. Good luck Garland follow the lead of your buddies. Magic number 30.

PaleHoseGeorge

Wrong again. It's your brain that has deficiencies.

cwsfannick
08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Good to see Burly man get back on track after the most recent outings. Now let's see John go out and shut down the twinkies. Go Sox :smile:

voodoochile
08-24-2005, 10:08 PM
you would be the same guy who probably was shocked to see our 2000 team go 3 and out versus an average Mariners team.

YOUR BRAIN HAS DEFICIENCIES!

It's called the moment... try and live in it...

Sox win? :rolleyes:

ChiSoxlukes
08-24-2005, 10:09 PM

The Mariners were no average team. The 2000 playoffs jumpstarted the 2001 season in which they won 116 games.

THE_HOOTER
08-24-2005, 10:09 PM
What great team win anchored by the ace of our staff.

I will say Ozzie does a bit of a quick hook, but who knows what happens if he leaves Politte in?

We won a game we should have---really good feeling.

BanditJimmy
08-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Why are you guys blind to see that we have 14 games in 13 days coming up and our bullpen needs all the rest in the world being that you don't know what the future holds for you?

There was no need to use the bullpen tonight.

Buehrle had only thrown 105 pitches!

I'm Happy with the win as much as the next guy, but let's also recognize that things should not have gone the way they did in that last inning.

soxwon
Rally Panties out TONIGHT!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

http://i.charmingshoppes.com/is/image/Catherines/C1009725?wid=102&hei=124&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.5,0.3,0.0,0 (http://catherines.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.asp?product_id=C1009725&nav=C1)

PaleHoseGeorge
So BanditJimmy, care to take us all on? Believe me, after the last 24 hours the moderating staff smells blood in the water.

:dirtyharry

gogosox35
I agree with Ozzie taking Buehrle out after 8. Ozzie is not Dusty Baker (thank god) 105 pitches is a bunch, probably going to 120+ if you leave him in there for the 9th. With a 5 run lead and a fresh bullpen the game should be over. If the Twins would have come back and won it was no ones fault but the bullpens, not Ozzies.

BanditJimmy
08-24-2005, 10:11 PM
The Mariners were no average team. The 2000 playoffs jumpstarted the 2001 season in which they won 116 games.

And that team went on to win what?

The World Series?

Did I miss something?

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm Happy with the win as much as the next guy, but let's also recognize that things should not have gone the way they did in that last inning.

Bull****. You're doing nothing but whining. Sox lose and you whine. Sox win and you whine.

Your brain has major problems.

Revolutn
BIG Sigh of relief!

Ok let's go get the series tomorrow!!!

SouthSiiiiiiiiide

Rev

Chisox003
And that team went on to win what?

The World Series?

Did I miss something?

You gotta know when to fold em jimmy.....

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:13 PM
A

Did I miss something?

Yeah, you missed something. The short bus that took you to school.

Norberto7
http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/paniajo01.shtml

That ERA! :cower:

FarWestChicago
So BanditJimmy, care to take us all on? Believe me, after the last 24 hours the moderating staff smells blood in the water.

:dirtyharryHe's already toast. I warned him.

hose
Not here, not after a win. Consider that a final warning.

To bad you couldn't shoot the guys hat off like they do in Westerns.

Every movie I've ever seen where the guy got his hat shot off didn't have to be warned twice. :cool:

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-24-2005, 10:14 PM

No hot dogging - just a line drive that got in the lights.

Great win tonight after an awful loss last night. I feel a little better.:D:

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 10:16 PM
He's already toast. I warned him.

*sigh* I thought the idiots would stay away, but that horrid bullpen is always giving away games!

voodoochile
08-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Why are you guys blind to see that we have 14 games in 13 days coming up and our bullpen needs all the rest in the world being that you don't know what the future holds for you?

*voodoo bangs head against wall*

THEY ****ING WON, DUMBASS!

:banditjimmy:
"But they almost lost and I hurt my hand smacking it repeatedly into my rockfilled head during the ninth inning when the tying run actually came to the plate. It didn't even help when I used my usual request to make the bad man stop hurting me, Mommy..."

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
No hot dogging - just a line drive that got in the lights.

I was thinking more of the way he just kept himself tucked in the fetal position on the ground after making the catch... a very long and dramatic pose.

But I agree the BaggieDome is an utter piece of **** to play baseball in.

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
*voodoo bangs head against wall*

THEY ****ING WON, DUMBASS!

:banditjimmy:
"But they almost lost and I hurt my hand smacking it repeatedly into my rockfilled head during the ninth inning when the tying run actually came to the plate. It didn't even help when I used my usual request to make the bad man stop hurting me, Mommy..."

I think George spoke too soon and jinxed us. :wink:

Norberto7
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
He's already toast. I warned him.

Where is RKM??

CHISOXFAN13
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM

Are you too dumb to realize that the only way a bullpen stays sharp is if it used on a regular basis?

Guys like Hermy haven't pitched in a week. Geez.

ENJOY THE WIN.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:20 PM
*sigh* I thought the idiots would stay away,

West lighting him up was a mercy killing. Believe me, far worse was in store for BanditJimmy had he stuck around.

delben91
08-24-2005, 10:22 PM
Great game. Nice to see the team play like they're capable of.

I'll be the first to admit I've likely been at least a mild PITA lately, and on behalf of myself and the others here like me, my thanks to the mods for their patience with our collective insanity.

Now then, let's get it going tomorrow Jon. Go Sox!

voodoochile
08-24-2005, 10:23 PM
West lighting him up was a mercy killing. Believe me, far worse was in store for BanditJimmy had he stuck around.

Great, now what am I going to do with this?

*voodoo waves a loaded gun in the air and looks frantically around the boards*

That twinkie troll picked the wrong night to come out of the closet. Heck his last post the game wasn't even over yet, merely closer than it had been and he starts in on the trash talking.

I'm just alittle wound up and I need to get some sleep, but it may be difficult with all this testosterone pumping through my system...:cool:

hose
4 double plays:bandance:

Dye gunning down Redmond at the plate was a thing of beauty.:supernana:

Brian26
But I agree the BaggieDome is an utter piece of **** to play baseball in.

OH, but it looks SO much better now that they've put the new field-turf in with the grass shaded in different directions to make it look like it's actually mowed.

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I was just about to jump in 'til I saw that West took him down. :wink:

soxjim
08-24-2005, 10:26 PM
Dye gunning down Redmond at the plate was a thing of beauty.:supernana:[/QUOTE]

It sure was! My wife and I were cheering loudly:supernana:

Brian26
08-24-2005, 10:27 PM
It sure was! My wife and I were cheering loudly

Granted, Redmond isn't exactly the Flash, but Dye threw that ball almost flat-footed after he made the catch. The guy has a gun!

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Dye gunning down Redmond at the plate was a thing of beauty.

I loved how Dye and the Sox answered Minnesota on that play. Everett got nailed at the plate earlier in the game. Turnabout is a bitch... especially when you're stuck 10.5 games behind.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2005, 10:32 PM
The most positive thing about tonight's game (other than Buehrle's nice job) was the fact that they spread the offense around. Instead of scoring it all at once, they scored in 3 different innings and had baserunners in 7 of 9 innings. They looked a lot more relaxed.

Hawk kept saying that the players took last night's loss as a very positive thing. (Some people around here can take a lesson.:o:) You never can tell what's going to spark a team out of a slump. Now they have to keep it going.

Letmehearya
08-24-2005, 10:33 PM
I decided early this evening not to watch and to log on at 10:30 and gauge from the post-game thread whether the Sox won or not. I plan on taking this course of action the remainder of the road trip. :smile:

HotelWhiteSox
08-24-2005, 10:34 PM
I could just see the dark clouds get giddy when the Twins didn't go 123. How can you complain about this win? Unbelievable. The offense and specific hitters showing great signs of coming out of the slump and a dominant Mark Buehrle in a place he says he doesn't feel comfortable pitching in, and people still find something to complain about. Of course, no member of a bullpen of a playoff contending team ever gives up a hit :rolleyes: You guys in the chat were right, it was embarrasing! I hate this team too!

Apparantely, these are same people who run Yahoo! Sports, who currently have Garcia losing as their main story on sports.yahoo.com ,There sure are a lot of Sox haters in the media, you're one day late!

EDIT: They changed it back to Huggins story. It read "So close yet so far for Garcia"

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I was just about to jump in 'til I saw that West took him down.

Like I said earlier, it was a mercy killing. After all the B.S. of the last 24 hours followed by a terrific Sox victory, BanditJimmy was just stupid enough to lean into it. Getting bounced quickly was the best fate he could hope for.

There was definitely blood in the water, and all of it was BanditJimmy's.

Gremlin3
08-24-2005, 10:35 PM

Just in case you want something else to remember him by

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211981652&category=60597

But anyway, a little shaky at the end but still a white sox victory. Isn't that all that really matters anyway? The bats came alive.

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 10:38 PM
Just in case you want something else to remember him by

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5211981652&category=60597

But anyway, a little shaky at the end but still a white sox victory. Isn't that all that really matters anyway? The bats came alive.

$295 for that POS's jersey? No thanks.

Gremlin3
08-24-2005, 10:39 PM

Hey, I wouldn't either, just though it was funny that someone would acutally list it.

cheeses_h_rice
08-24-2005, 10:42 PM
I could just see the dark clouds get giddy when the Twins didn't go 123. How can you complain about this win? Unbelievable. The offense and specific hitters showing great signs of coming out of the slump and a dominant Mark Buehrle in a place he says he doesn't feel comfortable pitching in, and people still find something to complain about. Of course, no member of a bullpen of a playoff contending team ever gives up a hit :rolleyes: You guys in the chat were right, it was embarrasing! I hate this team too!

Hmm. In case you hadn't noticed, it wasn't just "a hit" that the bullpen gave up in the 9th. The Sox had a 6-1 lead and allowed the Twins to put the tying run at bat, after the 3 Sox relievers allowed a double, home run, single and another double. Rusty or not, it would be nice if the Sox could point to one guy in the pen as the stopper; come playoff time, 5-run leads won't exactly be a common occurrence.

If you weren't nervous in the 9th, you had to be sleeping or not paying attention.

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Hey, I wouldn't either, just though it was funny that someone would acutally list it.

Oh, it is funny. It'll be even funnier if someone actually bought it.

BTW...something else that is hilarious is that last night, after a loss, there were more than 80 users in the clubhouse alone and a 30 page post game thread. Tonight after a win? Yep...dark clouds are great fans. :rolleyes:

chisoxmike
08-24-2005, 10:48 PM

1. Our bad offense.
or

Oh **** are you serious! Jesus, get off it.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 10:48 PM
BTW...something else that is hilarious is that last night, after a loss, there were about 80 users online and a 30 page post game thread. Tonight after a win? Yep...dark clouds are great fans.

Hell, if uber Dark Cloud BanditJimmy hadn't come out of his hole, this thread wouldn't have even reached the century mark. But the Dark Cloud doubters are the *real* Sox Fans... just ask 'em.

FarWestChicago
08-24-2005, 10:50 PM
Hell, if uber Dark Cloud BanditJimmy hadn't come out of his hole, this thread wouldn't have even reached the century mark. But the Dark Cloud doubters are the *real* Sox Fans... just ask 'em.Oh yeah. And the reason they only post after losses is because there is nothing to discuss after a win. :rolleyes:

JB98
08-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Granted, Redmond isn't exactly the Flash, but Dye threw that ball almost flat-footed after he made the catch. The guy has a gun!

I present that play as "Exhibit A" for all the dumbasses who wanted to run Konerko out of town and put JD at first base. Clearly, JD has great value to the team in RF. He has the strongest throwing arm of any of our outfielders. That's no small statement considering Rowand and Perez are pretty good in that area as well.

infohawk
The most positive thing about tonight's game (other than Buehrle's nice job) was the fact that they spread the offense around. Instead of scoring it all at once, they scored in 3 different innings and had baserunners in 7 of 9 innings. They looked a lot more relaxed.

Hawk kept saying that the players took last night's loss as a very positive thing. (Some people around here can take a lesson.:o:) You never can tell what's going to spark a team out of a slump. Now they have to keep it going.

Yeah, obviously the Twins didn't get a spark from pulling out the "ESPN Classic" win in dramatic fashion. The Twins offense is really struggling right now. Yeah, yeah, they scored 3 in the ninth, but they did it off of some very, very rusty pitching. Lot's of balls up in the zone. They were owned through 8 innings. Outside of LeCroy's homer, I don't think a Twin reached second base through the first eight innings. Awesome job Mark!!! Eight game lead in the division (10 in the loss column!!!).

MIgrenade
Hmm. In case you hadn't noticed, it wasn't just "a hit" that the bullpen gave up in the 9th. The Sox had a 6-1 lead and allowed the Twins to put the tying run at bat, after the 3 Sox relievers allowed a double, home run, single and another double. Rusty or not, it would be nice if the Sox could point to one guy in the pen as the stopper; come playoff time, 5-run leads won't exactly be a common occurrence.

If you weren't nervous in the 9th, you had to be sleeping or not paying attention.

Hermanson is a stopper, and I think he would be even better if he got to pitch the whole inning rather than having to mop up for other guys who can't do it. This is the same way Hermy blew the last save, I think. Someone starts the inning and he has to finish it when they have runners on. Ozzie has to stick with someone though, and not have a revolving door of one pitch relievers.

cheeses_h_rice
08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Hermanson is a stopper, and I think he would be even better if he got to pitch the whole inning rather than having to mop up for other guys who can't do it. This is the same way Hermy blew the last save, I think. Someone starts the inning and he has to finish it when they have runners on. Ozzie has to stick with someone though, and not have a revolving door of one pitch relievers.

I'm torn between thinking that Ozzie should have left Burly in to start the 9th or just going with Hermy off the bat. But that's complete 20/20 hindsight thinking, because Ozzie has successfully used a bunch of different 9th inning guys this entire year, and usually Politte is automatic.

OK, I'll stop dwelling on it. The Sox won, and there are no style points awarded for how they do it.

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
I don't know if they who they showed after the game slapping hands on the Chicago broadcast, but on the Minnesota one A.J. was in the bottom corner of the screen. He kept making different silly faces to each guy that he was slapping hands with.

I don't know why I'm sharing...it just gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling (no, a dog was not laying on me at that time...). :D:

JB98
08-24-2005, 10:59 PM

Amazingly, he still goes to Marte in the ninth inning instead of Cotts. I think Neal is the most improved player on the team this season, and I'd like to see him get more of a shot. I think the Sox look at Jenks as the eventual replacement for Hermanson, but I feel Cotts is capable of closing as well.

Marte, OTOH, always makes me nervous. I don't like relievers who walk guys. That's the best thing about Hermy: If he gets beat, it's on a HR. He doesn't beat himself with walks, wild pitches and other BS.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 11:01 PM

It's baseball. It's simply impossible to script 162 games. Garcia pitches a gem last night but loses. Buehrle pitches a gem the very next night and wins going away -- if only the bullpen shuts the door sooner. It's still a win.

It's baseball. You can't just run the ball into the line and kill the clock. Every game, in theory, can last an eternity. You have to give the other team's hitters something to hit or otherwise hope they'll get themselves out.

It's baseball. It's not a sport for sprinters or the faint of heart. And it's definitely not a sport for the average couch potato who sits on his ass watching 4 dozen 35 second conference meetings interspersed with 5 seconds of actual play and declares the NFL "exciting" for all the action. That's a sport for idiots.

The Sox bullpen preserved the win and that's all that matters. Don't give me the labor pains, just show me the baby.

Domeshot17
08-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Anyone else feel after Dye gunned down Redmond everything was gonna be okay? Before it seemed Burke gettin rocked changed EVERYTING, now this year, Dye nailed Redmond, ahh the feel of the winds changing

ITS OUR YEAR BABY

MIgrenade
08-24-2005, 11:15 PM
It's baseball. It's simply impossible to script 162 games. Garcia pitches a gem last night but loses. Buehrle pitches a gem the very next night and wins going away -- if only the bullpen shuts the door sooner. It's still a win.

It's baseball. You can't just run the ball into the line and kill the clock. Every game, in theory, can last an eternity. You have to give the other team's hitters something to hit or otherwise hope they'll get themselves out.

It's baseball. It's not a sport for sprinters or the faint of heart. And it's definitely not a sport for the average couch potato who sits on his couch watching 4 dozen 35 second conference meetings interspersed with 5 seconds of actual play and declares the NFL "exciting" for all the action. That's a sport for idiots.

The Sox bullpen preserved the win and that's all that matters. Don't give me the labor pains, just show me the baby.

Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not saying that Buerhle should be in there, and I'm not saying Hermanson has to pitch when they are up 5 runs. But even if Ozzie thinks Politte doesn't have it and he brings in Marte, don't take him out after one lefty when he's better against righties. The last few times Hermanson has entered a game it is after one or 2 pitchers can't close the game. I guess I'm sick of seeing Marte fail when Cotts is right there, and I'm sick of seeing Ozzie use 3 pitchers in the ninth when the Sox are desperate for a win right now.

gogosox35
08-24-2005, 11:17 PM
Garcia, 1 run in 8 innings.

Buehrle, 1 run in 8 innings.
Time for our other ace to step up and do the same. Go get em Jon.

gogosox35
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeah, I agree with you. I'm not saying that Buerhle should be in there, and I'm not saying Hermanson has to pitch when they are up 5 runs. But even if Ozzie thinks Politte doesn't have it and he brings in Marte, don't take him out after one lefty when he's better against righties. The last few times Hermanson has entered a game it is after one or 2 pitchers can't close the game. I guess I'm sick of seeing Marte fail when Cotts is right there, and I'm sick of seeing Ozzie use 3 pitchers in the ninth when the Sox are desperate for a win right now.

I agree with you about Marte getting righties out better than he gets lefties. So my question is why is there the need for the bridge in the 9th inning. If Politte doesn't have it in the 9th, why are we not going directly to Hermie. I mean thats what your closer is for, if the game is in any kind of doubt don't hesitate, get him in the game.

Argalarga
08-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Great win tonight. Sure, the 9th made me nervous. But I prefer to think of us as dangling the win in front of them and pulling it back, with a finger wagging in their face.

Let's get them tomorrow!

mcp5185
08-24-2005, 11:38 PM
It's good to see that the bats finally woke up today! Hopefully we can turn this win into a nice little streak through this weekend. Great job especially by Mark, Carl, AJ, and Dye. :bandance: On a side note I went to that link of Paniagua and not only did he blow that game for us, it appears he pitched fairly well for Seattle against us in the 2000 playoffs. Oh well more reasons to hate the guy.

soxfanreggie
08-24-2005, 11:40 PM
Great day for the Sox...helping us regain our lead. Let's get it back up to over 10 games.

halfpricemonday
08-24-2005, 11:44 PM
I stopped reading last night's post-game thread after around 200 posts. I've got a feeling that tonight's PGT will be a lot more fun. :smile:

Let's go ahead and win tomorrow and start winning series again.

shes
08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Great game from Mark. He knew he had to step it up and did in a big way.

I hope all of Carl's bashers watched the game tonight. For all the man's shortcomings, he knows how to hit with runners on base. End of story.

As far as Politte struggling, I think it was a combination of rust and throwing too many damn sliders. No matter how good a pitch is, if you don't mix in something else--anything else--the batter will adjust. If he's looking for a slider away and you bust a fastball up and in, you can throw any pitch after that.

But I digress. Even the best relievers have their share of hiccups during a season. All's well that ends well. Jon'll get 'em tomorrow and the road trip will really start to get fun.

RadioheadRocks
08-24-2005, 11:55 PM
... and the bananas are happy once again!!!

:supernana: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance: :bandance:

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2005, 12:02 AM
From what I saw of this game, it looked like the offense was actually starting to piece hits together instead of just a mere hit amass a bunch of K's/flyouts/groundouts. This *could* bode well for when Pods gets back, especially if it can continue.

When I saw that Timo was leading off, I admit I was a little bit worried here...I can't wait til he's back on the bench, but at least he didn't hurt the team tonight.

Buehrle pitched a gem, and this was just smokescreen when it comes to Politte, who is still the best bullpen guy in the majors.

It's time to take the series and do more banana dances...

skobabe8
08-25-2005, 12:04 AM
http://sillygirl.peng1.net/albums/SunnyDay-PhotoChallenge39/Sunny_Day_3.jpg I can see clearly now the rain has gone.....

chisoxfanatic
08-25-2005, 12:04 AM
http://sillygirl.peng1.net/albums/SunnyDay-PhotoChallenge39/Sunny_Day_3.jpg I can see clearly now the rain has gone.....

I can see NO obstacles in our way...

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2005, 12:07 AM

"Can't you DIG the sunshine..." http://www.tvland.com/shows/brady_bunch/images/shows/actpic8.jpg

TaylorStSox
08-25-2005, 12:10 AM
Nice comeback game. I don't agree with Politte pitching with a 5 run lead. He's become accustomed to pitching in pressure situations. Guys that pitch under pressure usually fail when the game situation is different. ie. closers pitching with a big lead or a tie game in extra innings usually give up runs.

elrod
08-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Anybody who brings up the Paniagua game is fooling themselves. The reason Politte, Marte and Hermanson looked rusty is because they haven't pitched in a long time. A bullpen gets killed if it gets overused or underused. Some guys NEED multiple appearances to get a feel for the ball and get in a groove. Vizcaino is probably the most notorious. Anyway, good to see Hermanson actually get the save against the Twins after what happened last week.

Before tonight Politte's recent pitching is:
8/19 .2 IP
8/16 .1 IP
8/15 1.2 IP
8/9 1.0 IP

He hadn't thrown in a game since Friday, and before that last Tuesday. He was rusty for a reason.

Marte only threw to one batter and got a ground ball that he almost flagged for an out. I don't blame him much.

Hermanson hadn't pitched in a game since the 16 inning debacle on 8/16. Before that, he hadn't thrown since 8/10 in New York. He threw a bunch of times in a row before that. Note that he struggled on 8/16 after 6 days off. Not surprisingly, he struggled tonight after 8 days off. He was REALLY rusty.

The problem with Paniagua was that he was a bum picked up off the scrap heap, and put in a game of major proportions. It showed terrible judgment on Manuel's part - sort of like pitching Cotts at Yankee Stadium instead of Buehrle. The Twins won the next game because Johan Santana shut down the Sox. Garland pitched a solid game too, giving up only 2 through 6 innings. It was the beginning of corpseball. The Twins took off, especially after Coach Al Newman was admitted to the hospital after the game. After winning the last two of the series they lost one at Cleveland and then won 11 in a row. The situation was completely different than today.

cbone
08-25-2005, 04:52 AM
That was exactly what the doctor ordered! We take one from the Twinkies while Cleveland gets humiliated by the D-Rays! A buddy of mine Went to Minn. for last night and todays game. Told me he would bring home 2 winners, I gotta felling he will! Get em today guys! GO SOX!

Dan H
08-25-2005, 06:58 AM

I am not surprised the bullpen had a little hard time. They haven't been used much lately. Relievers need to be used to stay sharp. Anyway, those 13 hits look awful good. But no time to rest. The Indians and Twins are going to do all they can to make this a race. 8 games ahead is great, but I hope all future slumps only last two or three games.

harwar
08-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Yea,guys like Hermanson,Politte,& Vizcaino are all guys who need to work consistently,but what are you going to do when your starting pitching is so damn good that you barely need a bullpen sometimes.
Great win and its going to be a great roadtrip.

LVSoxFan
08-25-2005, 09:25 AM
How ironic that the offense finally comes out of its coma and then... the bullpen decides they're going on life support? LOL. That should have been a 6-1 game, but I'll take it.

Let's take the series today.

I have to say though: the Twins are a damn good team. They keep making web gem catches in the outfield! Argh!

russ99
08-25-2005, 11:02 AM

Maybe Paniagua autographed it and put "108.00 ERA" after it ? :D: