PDA

View Full Version : Need more offense....badly

HawkISox
08-24-2005, 10:41 AM
How about Carl in Left Field with Ozuna as DH. Sorry, but Gload is a better hitter than Blum and should be back as well.

OG and KW need to do anything at this point to get more offense.

ChiSoxBobette
08-24-2005, 10:47 AM
How about Carl in Left Field with Ozuna as DH. Sorry, but Gload is a better hitter than Blum and should be back as well.

Lets face it this is the team we will either get to the playoffs with or go down in flames with. There is'nt going to be any big name players traded for. I hate to bring this up but JR wants the most bang for his buck without having to spend anymore no matter what he's said about KW having the freedom to bring a bat in because if thats true they would have done it already.

Tekijawa
08-24-2005, 10:50 AM

And this would fix the offense how?

Frankly Missing
08-24-2005, 10:55 AM
Our offense has 28 HR's, and 94 RBI's and wears a Brewers uniform.

Guess I'm still wallowing in the fact KW couldnt hang onto some of our big bang.

ja1022
08-24-2005, 10:55 AM
How about Carl in Left Field

How about Podsednik in left field. That works for me.

samram
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Actually, if there's going to be a short-term shakeup, I would move ARow up to the 2 hole and move Iguchi to the third spot and keep Ozuna, who has been good the last couple of games, in the leadoff spot. Iguchi has always been a run producer and batting in the 3 hole would allow him to try to drive the ball instead of worrying about moving runners, etc.

Iwritecode
08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Lets face it this is the team we will either get to the playoffs with or go down in flames with. There is'nt going to be any big name players traded for. I hate to bring this up but JR wants the most bang for his buck without having to spend anymore no matter what he's said about KW having the freedom to bring a bat in because if thats true they would have done it already.

Right, because KW can force any team to give him any player he wants. :rolleyes:

It takes two to tango...

itsnotrequired
08-24-2005, 11:04 AM
And this would fix the offense how?

:jerry
"I couldn't hurt to try!"

soltrain21
08-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Guess I'm still wallowing in the fact KW couldnt hang onto some of our big bang.

This is the dumbest post I have ever seen. He DID hang on to "some" of the big bang. Thomas, Konerko, Carl.

Now is not the right time to criticize that trade.

LVSoxFan
08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Yeah that "trade" made for a all-time record breaking 1st half.

Sorry, but nobody misses El Caballo. Or the feast-or-famine offense of 2004.

SoxinAZ
08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
But we need to......

Change Something!!

Frankly Missing
08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Sure, it was one happy day when Frank came back, and I'm certain things wouldnt be this severe offensively right now if he had been healthy.

Konerko and Carl have done their thing and done it well.

I was being more wishful thinking than critical of "the trade".

As far as being "the most stupid post", I'm not sure about that, everyone is screaming for the Sox to get a "big bat", pleading with KW to morgage the farm and raid the piggy bank to do so.

seems to me, everyone thinks we need a slugger like Griffey to ge the offense going, perhaps we trimmed the fat a little too much in the off season with the fate of Franks health unknown.

BTW Soltrain, did someone do something disgusting in your wheaties today?

Paulwny
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
As soon as Frank went down KW should have been on the phone.

CHIsoxNation
08-24-2005, 11:36 AM
As soon as Frank went down KW should have been on the phone.

I'm sure he was long before that.

Tom~Attitude
08-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Bring back Minnie Minoso!

He led the AL in HBP for 10 years. We would at least have a baserunner.

Paulwny
08-24-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm sure he was long before that.

Well, I'm not sure he was.

HawkISox
08-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Even if its not Griffey, the Sox need SOMEONE.

That was as painful a game to watch as I have seen in a few years.

Maybe Pods being back will help...I think we need a middle of the order hitter.

maurice
08-24-2005, 11:52 AM
Well, I'm not sure he was.

Based on what? All the big bats that were traded to other teams since Frank went down?

KW actually completed a trade for KGJ that was vetoed by ownership and has a long history for trying to trade for the best available players.

Paulwny
08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Based on what? All the big bats that were traded to other teams since Frank went down?

KW actually completed a trade for KGJ that was vetoed by ownership and has a long history for trying to trade for the best available players.

I'm not blaming KW, although it may have come across that way. I don't know how much extra $$$ JR is willing to pick up. This may have stopped KW from pulling the trigger.
When someone says he's sure, but doesn't really know, I feel I can reply that I'm not so sure.
As for Junior., I agree the reds' owner killed the deal, but does anyone really know why? does he want to keep him? do they want more prospects? does he want JR to pick up more of the contract? we only have rumors to go by. Only the parties involved know the exact reasons.

soltrain21
08-24-2005, 12:17 PM
BTW Soltrain, did someone do something disgusting in your wheaties today?

No, that was just a stupid thing to say. Do you realize how key Scotty has been to us this year? How about Iguchi, El Duque and AJ?

That trade was the right move...and to start questioning it NOW is stupid.

maurice
08-24-2005, 12:37 PM
. . .

I agree with your questions about JR and have asked them myself since the KGJ trade fell through. OTOH, the fact that the trade almost went through + KW's well-publicized negotiations with the Marlins + KW's history + the fact that this year's trade deadline was remarkably boring more than supports the claim that KW did a lot of work to try and add impact players after Frank went down (and probably earlier). The proposed KGJ deal alone was relatively intricate and must have taken quite a bit of time. In the past, when JR doesn't free up much cash, KW works the phones even harder to find creative ways of getting a deal done without adding much salary.

ChicagoHoosier
08-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Anyone who'd rather have Lee in LF on this team instead of Pods, Iguchi, AJ, and El Duque is crazy.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2005, 12:56 PM

Guess I'm still wallowing in the fact KW couldnt hang onto some of our big bang.Your "savior" is hitting about .240 with 6 HR and 18 RBI since the break. Thanks for playing, though.

Frankly Missing
08-24-2005, 06:00 PM
I understand the fact we needed to unload Leee in order to free up money to revamp the team.

However, it seems ironic to me the very type of player we got rid of to do this, is the type of player everyone is frothing at the mouth to get now.

iamkoza
08-24-2005, 06:04 PM
Yeah that "trade" made for a all-time record breaking 1st half.

Sorry, but nobody misses El Caballo. Or the feast-or-famine offense of 2004.

Last month or so feast or famine is what we've watched. Mostly famine.... horrible sally struthers commercial-esque famine. Should you expect anything different though, without podsednik and frank, this is last years offense that couldnt get it done

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I agree with Donovan's article on SI.com. Sox need to go out and get Griffey. I know that it's not easy, but it seems to me that the Sox recent play shows that it's unlikely they would do well in the playoffs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/john_donovan/08/24/griffey.trade/index.html

mrwag
08-25-2005, 11:47 AM
Couldn't agree with that article any more. The postseason would be great, but getting to the WS is what we're really after. Come the start of next season, nobody will remember who was in the playoffs.

StockdaleForVeep
08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Yeah with such crappy offense, all it got us was the for a while the best record in all of baseball

http://www.audihertz.net/blogpics05/dondeeley01.jpg

CarlosMay'sThumb
08-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Yeah with such crappy offense, all it got us was the for a while the best record in all of baseball

That and a $1.50 will get you a ride on the bus.

I couldn't care less who had the best record in baseball if you don't do well in the playoffs.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-25-2005, 02:58 PM
That and a $1.50 will get you a ride on the bus.

I couldn't care less who had the best record in baseball if you don't do well in the playoffs.

but without the aquisitions we got out of the caballo deal, we wouldnt even be talking about the playoffs. its a catch 22.

Lee isnt doing very well right now anyway, hitting like .240, 6 HR and several more RBI. so its almost moot to say we shouldnt have traded him, as he proably wouldnt be doing much better here. but, the world is wacky and you never know.

jerry myers
08-25-2005, 05:15 PM
griffy griffy griffy

MarySwiss
08-25-2005, 05:19 PM
Anyone who'd rather have Lee in LF on this team instead of Pods, Iguchi, AJ, and El Duque is crazy.

No doubt about it. I really liked Lee, but IMO, this team wouldn't be anywhere near a sniff of the playoffs if that deal wasn't made.

Jjav829
08-25-2005, 05:41 PM
griffy griffy griffy

Who? Who? Who?

You mean...

Griffey Griffey Griffey

....?

BTW, he hit #30 today. :(:

Letmehearya
08-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Replacing El Caballo with Pods, Iguchi, AJ and El Duque should earn KW the Executive of the Year Award.

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
How about Podsednik in left field. That works for me.

If he hits and gets on base. If he doesn't get on base, then I would pout him on the bench.

FarWestChicago
08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
If he hits and gets on base. If he doesn't get on base, then I would pout him on the bench.It's a good thing you aren't the manager. :thumbsup:

DrGiggles
08-29-2005, 10:16 PM
Why don't we get Carlos Lee back next year?

Whitesox05
08-29-2005, 10:26 PM
It's a good thing you aren't the manager. :thumbsup:

And you disagree? He is valuable for us when he gets on base.If he doesn't get on base, he is not value for us. If he doesnt get on base, he is taking up a position that someone else can play. Not a rookie or anything, I mean us getting a big bat and having him play LF.I would definitely get an insurance policy just in case Podsednik struggles even more.

Flight #24
08-29-2005, 10:54 PM

I give you 2 players:

Player A: .264BA / .327OBP / .504SLG / 28HR / 97RBI / 11SB
Player B: .269BA / .324OBP / .498SLG / 23HR / 65RBI / 10SB

Player A is of course, El Caballo. Player B is Jermaine Dye. They're pretty comparable this year, with Lee putting up a few more HRs and getting more RBI opportunities, but Carlos has almost 100 more ABs, and the overall #s are almost identical with Jermaine slugging almost exactly the same.

Now you could argue that we should have had both, but then where do you play Podsednik (not to mention how do you acquire him)? I suppose you could DH him, but then you'd effectively be replacing Carl Everett with Carlos Lee, and strangely enough, their #s are pretty close when you allow for Carl having shared time with Frank. In 368ABs to Carlos 506, Carl has hit 9 fewer HRs and driving in 24 fewer runs, but has almost identical BA, OBP, SLG.

So why again do you miss Carlos Lee?

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 08:55 AM
I give you 2 players:

Player A is of course, El Caballo. Player B is Jermaine Dye. They're pretty comparable this year, with Lee putting up a few more HRs and getting more RBI opportunities, but Carlos has almost 100 more ABs, and the overall #s are almost identical with Jermaine slugging almost exactly the same.

Now you could argue that we should have had both, but then where do you play Podsednik (not to mention how do you acquire him)? I suppose you could DH him, but then you'd effectively be replacing Carl Everett with Carlos Lee, and strangely enough, their #s are pretty close when you allow for Carl having shared time with Frank. In 368ABs to Carlos 506, Carl has hit 9 fewer HRs and driving in 24 fewer runs, but has almost identical BA, OBP, SLG.

So why again do you miss Carlos Lee?But Pods isn't getting on base regularly (in his ONE game back).:rolleyes:

JRIG
08-30-2005, 09:07 AM
I give you 2 players:

So why again do you miss Carlos Lee?

A great post. Lee looks great because he's batting 4th this year and accumulating runs and RBI's in that spot.

The offense is struggling because Joe Crede sucks and is declining for the third consecutive year, Uribe's been pretty bad except in Sac Fly situations, Rowand is not hitting for much power at all, Frank is out again, and our bench players getting at bats (Ozuna and Timo) are ****ty hitters.

But it doesn't matter that much anyway. This team will go as far as the pitching carries them. Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia are the three most important players on the roster heading into October.

Whitesox05
08-30-2005, 10:02 AM
But Pods isn't getting on base regularly (in his ONE game back).:rolleyes:

Ummmm....he hasn't been since the AllStar break. Did you not see those stats?

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 10:06 AM
A great post. Lee looks great because he's batting 4th this year and accumulating runs and RBI's in that spot.

The offense is struggling because Joe Crede sucks and is declining for the third consecutive year, Uribe's been pretty bad except in Sac Fly situations, Rowand is not hitting for much power at all, Frank is out again, and our bench players getting at bats (Ozuna and Timo) are ****ty hitters.

But it doesn't matter that much anyway. This team will go as far as the pitching carries them. Buehrle, Garland, and Garcia are the three most important players on the roster heading into October.While I'm not ready to leap off a ledge, I wouldn't go so far as to say the offensive struggles don't matter. The guy I'm most disappointed in is Everett. He seems completely lost hitting from the left side. He's taking awful swings and is completely fooled by anything low and inside. Looking at potential playoff opponents, their best pitchers are almost all righties. Kenny has one more day. If he can't get Griffey, grab Ibanez or anyone else that can be productive against RHP.

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Ummmm....he hasn't been since the AllStar break. Did you not see those stats?You don't like his .360 OBP in July? :kukoo:

JRIG
08-30-2005, 10:18 AM
While I'm not ready to leap off a ledge, I wouldn't go so far as to say the offensive struggles don't matter. The guy I'm most disappointed in is Everett. He seems completely lost hitting from the left side. He's taking awful swings and is completely fooled by anything low and inside. Looking at potential playoff opponents, their best pitchers are almost all righties. Kenny has one more day. If he can't get Griffey, grab Ibanez or anyone else that can be productive against RHP.

Well, it's a concern. I'm just convinced there's nothing we can do about it except wait it out. I don't think any deal will be made to bring in a bat. Ross Gload would be about the only reinforcement on the way, and it'll be tough to find him a spot in the lieup with Everett and Konerko grabbing 1B and DH most nights. Gload against RHP some days? Sure. But it's not going to be a massive upgrade. Podsednik has to get healthy and has to get on base. That's the best thing that can happn right now.

LVSoxFan
08-30-2005, 10:19 AM
While I'm not ready to leap off a ledge, I wouldn't go so far as to say the offensive struggles don't matter. The guy I'm most disappointed in is Everett. He seems completely lost hitting from the left side. He's taking awful swings and is completely fooled by anything low and inside. Looking at potential playoff opponents, their best pitchers are almost all righties. Kenny has one more day. If he can't get Griffey, grab Ibanez or anyone else that can be productive against RHP.

I agree, although take your pick among the starters. Everett, Rowand, Crede, Dye, Uribe... the offense has been sputtering since the ASB, although it was never that hot to begin with (leading to early comparisons to the Go-Go '59 Sox). Pitching and "D" will win it for us, and it did first half.

But how many games now have we been not able to muster more than 2 runs? Or the telling Minnesota game where Garcia gives up exactly one run and one hit and we still get shut out?

What I'm tired of is that dreadful feeling when, like last night, Texas jumps out to a 3-0 lead in the 2nd inning--the knowing that, whole game left or not, we'll never overcome it.

I highly doubt this kind of setup is gonna get us past teams like Oakland, NY, Boston or Lord help us the Cardinals.

dickallen15
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
You don't like his .360 OBP in July? :kukoo:
Considering how many times he has been thrown out trying to steal second and picked off, that .360 OBP is very inflated against reality.

Randar68
08-30-2005, 10:34 AM

We were farqued when everyone bailed on deals at the deadline and Kenny was left with nobody to deal with. He tried his balls of, but there were really no big sellers this year for some reason.

This is the inverse of the 200 team but with the same effect. We're going to be backing into the playoffs with great pitching and NO hitting whatsoever (2000 team's pitching disintegrated down the stretch)...

Everyone who knows my history here know's I'm no chicken little, but I just see an early exit from the playoffs as inevitable... Injuries and lack of a trading partner have just been too much to overcome.

Randar68
08-30-2005, 10:42 AM

Ahhh yes, the Red Herring that our offense sucks because of our #8 and 9 hitters. *****... Lay off the bong.

:bong:

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Considering how many times he has been thrown out trying to steal second and picked off, that .360 OBP is very inflated against reality.And considering that he had a pulled groin muscle during that time, this significance of this little tidbit is very inflated.

JRIG
08-30-2005, 11:30 AM
Ahhh yes, the Red Herring that our offense sucks because of our #8 and 9 hitters. *****... Lay off the bong.

Our leadoff man has been injured, our #3 hitter (Thomas) is out for the year, our #6 hitter (Dye) has been incredibly streaky and just finished up a bad slump, our #7 hitter (Rowand) is not hitting for near as much power as last year, and our 8 and 9 hitter do, in fact, suck.

That is why our offense has been sub-par in the 2nd half.

dickallen15
08-30-2005, 11:39 AM
And considering that he had a pulled groin muscle during that time, this significance of this little tidbit is very inflated.

You were the one popping off about his OBP. What good is it if you get thrown out at second whether your groin is pulled or not? If the White Sox think Pods returning is the difference in this offense, especially when he said he wouldn't be 100% the rest of the season, the playoffs are no lock. Pods OBP was .369 at the All Star break. Its at .344 now. He's hasn't been good for a while.

Whitesox05
08-30-2005, 11:56 AM
Considering how many times he has been thrown out trying to steal second and picked off, that .360 OBP is very inflated against reality.

Exactly!

Whitesox05
08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Rowand better start hitting or sit his ass on the bench!!!!

He plays a great CF, but he has been horrible offensively lately. We need him to hit. He is the easy out in our lineup lately. Anything we get something going offensively, he always kills the rally. We need him to hit! I would definitely make the Griffey trade happen, especially since Rowand and Pods are struggling. I know that trade probably won't happen, but I wish it would.

Ol' No. 2
08-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Rowand better start hitting or sit his ass on the bench!!!!

He plays a great CF, but he has been horrible offensively lately. We need him to hit. He is the easy out in our lineup lately. Anything we get something going offensively, he always kills the rally. We need him to hit! I would definitely make the Griffey trade happen, especially since Rowand and Pods are struggling. I know that trade probably won't happen, but I wish it would.Thanks for the insights.

SoxinAZ
08-30-2005, 12:24 PM
Relax, Borchard is coming up in a couple days.:LTP

wdelaney72
08-30-2005, 12:29 PM

:bundy

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 01:31 PM
You were the one popping off about his OBP. What good is it if you get thrown out at second whether your groin is pulled or not? If the White Sox think Pods returning is the difference in this offense, especially when he said he wouldn't be 100% the rest of the season, the playoffs are no lock. Pods OBP was .369 at the All Star break. Its at .344 now. He's hasn't been good for a while.

The point being that unless you think his groin pull is as bad as it was in early Aug, he's not going to get thrown out at hte same rate.......

Not to mention that playing through injury in August and putting up a .227OBP is why he's a .344 now. As noted already, his OBP for the month of July was .360.

"the playoffs are no lock"? Obviously there are things that can happen because they haven't clinched yet. If the magic # was 1 today, that would still be the case. Go look at the various & sundry explanations of what would need to happen for the Sox to miss the playoffs, because that will show that that comment is falling poo.

dickallen15
08-30-2005, 01:44 PM
The point being that unless you think his groin pull is as bad as it was in early Aug, he's not going to get thrown out at hte same rate.......

Not to mention that playing through injury in August and putting up a .227OBP is why he's a .344 now. As noted already, his OBP for the month of July was .360.

"the playoffs are no lock"? Obviously there are things that can happen because they haven't clinched yet. If the magic # was 1 today, that would still be the case. Go look at the various & sundry explanations of what would need to happen for the Sox to miss the playoffs, because that will show that that comment is falling poo.

I'm glad you're optimistic. I see major problems for a team that has trouble scoring runs. I think assuming the White Sox going .500 the rest of the way the way they have been playing is quite an assumption. What's the significance of Pod's July OBP anyway? He stated he's not going to be 100% the rest of the year, and Ozzie is going to be sitting him down often. Does that translate into a big September? If July stats are the benchmark, I suppose Sox fans can be comforted by the fact that Joe Crede hit .304 that same month and has an OPS of almost .900.

Flight #24
08-30-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm glad you're optimistic. I see major problems for a team that has trouble scoring runs. I think assuming the White Sox going .500 the rest of the way the way they have been playing is quite an assumption. What's the significance of Pod's July OBP anyway? He stated he's not going to be 100% the rest of the year, and Ozzie is going to be sitting him down often. Does that translate into a big September? If July stats are the benchmark, I suppose Sox fans can be comforted by the fact that Joe Crede hit .304 that same month and has an OPS of almost .900.
During their mini-slump, the Sox have still gone 11-14 (record in August). That also coincides with an injured Pods and Konerko missing some time, as well as playing the BoSox & Yankees. Pods is better (even if not 100%), and Konerko's back. And there are no more BoSox or Yankee games.

If despite all of that, you still think they're going to play WORSE than they did in August, then all I can do is to remind you to watch for falling meteorites and random bursts of lightning when you walk outside. because even if that happens, it will take a lot on the part of other teams for the Sox to miss the playoffs, because Cle will have to play around .700 ball, and one pair of teams between Oak/LAA and BOS/NYY will as well.....and they're playing each other.

As for Pods, you said "Pods OBP was .369 at the All Star break. Its at .344 now. He's hasn't been good for a while.". I was merely pointing out that he was fine for all but the 20-odd days since the break that he was hurt, which contradicts your "he hasn't been good for a while". He's better now. Not 100%, but better, so it's highly likely that his OBP will also be better.

Mohoney
08-30-2005, 03:00 PM

I know this sounds stupid, and I may be the only one left that thinks this is possible, but I really think that Borchard is going to provide some offensive punch in a reserve role this September, and win us a game or two that we wouldn't have won if he wasn't around. Same thing with Ross Gload.

mr_genius
08-30-2005, 03:11 PM
Lay off the bong.

huh, what.... *gurgle* *gurgle*

anyone seen my new Underdog cartoon DVD?

Whitesox05
09-05-2005, 12:21 PM

Not bad! HOW about Carl in left and either pods or Rowand in center (depending on the pitching matchup) and Gload at DH? That would be our best offensive lineup. Pods better stop getting picked off!!!!! When he does, he isn't valuable!

Chisox003
09-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Not bad! HOW about Carl in left and either pods or Rowand in center (depending on the pitching matchup) and Gload at DH? That would be our best offensive lineup. Pods better stop getting picked off!!!!! When he does, he isn't valuable!

Ohh, great idea .... Because we made it this far based strictly on how powerful our lineup is ..... :rolleyes:

And that podsednik guy? Ya, he has no value to this team, even when he lays down a great sac bunt, comes up with a huge clutch rbi single, or makes a great diving catch in left field

Complete stupidity

Whitesox05
09-06-2005, 03:58 PM
Ohh, great idea .... Because we made it this far based strictly on how powerful our lineup is ..... :rolleyes:

And that podsednik guy? Ya, he has no value to this team, even when he lays down a great sac bunt, comes up with a huge clutch rbi single, or makes a great diving catch in left field

Complete stupidity

You are being stupid here. We obviously need more offense. I didn't say he wasn't valuable,.....I said he isn't as valuable when he keps getting picked off and when he doesn't get on base. Anyone will tell you that too. My point is that sometimes we need more offense and adjustments need to be made. Stop being so damn blind!