PDA

View Full Version : This is a big test for Ozzie

lowesox
08-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Last year we were in pretty good shape. Then Thomas and Maggs got hurt and we plummeted. This year, we got off to an incredible start and, well, everybody knows what's been happening lately. Losing streaks happen, that's fine. However, I believe how the team responds to this streak is what's key.

I also believe the way we respond lies on Ozzie's shoulders. He needs to find a way to get these guys going. That's what Ozzie ball is all about. It's Ozzie's job to get these guys energized and confident. I know it sucks that Podsednik isn't playing. I know it sucks that Thomas is hurt for the second time in a row. But the magic of Ozzieball is supposed to be about finding a way.

Every manager is allowed to have a losing streak. I don't blame Ozzie for this one. But I think I will blame him if the White Sox have another strong finish and another awful energy-lacking finish.

PatK
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I'd like to see them going back to playing Ozzieball and less time trying to play station to station.

God, I've never wanted to see a sac bunt more in my life.

SoxinAZ
08-24-2005, 12:33 PM
I'd like to see them going back to playing Ozzieball and less time trying to play station to station.

God, I've never wanted to see a sac bunt more in my life.

Yessssss!

elrod
08-24-2005, 01:32 PM
I think they're trying. They just aren't executing. Pablo Ozuna did everything Podsednik would ever do yesterday - probably better, considering it was Santana. Pablo almost hit the go-ahead double too. But when he gets on, Iguchi isn't moving him over. But the problems are deeper. Everybody is struggling:

Rowand: 3 for his last 29 - .103 BA
Dye: 5 for his last 33 - .151 BA
Uribe: 2 for his last 20 - .100 BA
Everett: 3 for his last 20 - .150 BA
Pierzynski: 3 for his last 19 - .157 BA
Crede: 3 for his last 31 - .097 BA
Iguchi: 6 for his last 28 - .214 BA

The only regular who hasn't sucked as of late:
Konerko: 9 for his last 28 - .321 BA

Folks, this isn't just about the leadoff hitter (who is actually doing well, if Ozuna is the man). The entire lineup is in a terrible slump. In the beginning of the year, the heart of the order sucked while the top and bottom picked up the slack. Then the middle heated up while the bottom slumped. Now everybody is struggling. I know we've had some tough pitchers lately: Santana (twice), RJ, Chacon (2.00 ERA since joining the Yankees), Mussina, and Radke. But this is ridiculous. The team is hitting well below .200 in the last couple of weeks.

twsoxfan5
08-24-2005, 01:34 PM
I think they're trying. They just aren't executing. Pablo Ozuna did everything Podsednik would ever do yesterday - probably better, considering it was Santana. Pablo almost hit the go-ahead double too. But when he gets on, Iguchi isn't moving him over. But the problems are deeper. Everybody is struggling:

Folks, this isn't just about the leadoff hitter (who is actually doing well, if Ozuna is the man). The entire lineup is in a terrible slump. In the beginning of the year, the heart of the order sucked while the top and bottom picked up the slack. Then the middle heated up while the bottom slumped. Now everybody is struggling. I know we've had some tough pitchers lately: Santana (twice), RJ, Chacon (2.00 ERA since joining the Yankees), Mussina, and Radke. But this is ridiculous. The team is hitting well below .200 in the last couple of weeks.

Great info. :bandance:

hawkjt
08-24-2005, 01:41 PM
So,collectively the seven regulars are hitting around .140 over the last couple of weeks. I think this bodes well for Sept, and hopefully Oct. These guys are not .140 hitters. They will have to hit about .340 collectively for awhile to get back to their historical numbers. I want them to be in a hot cycle the last part of the season and into the playoffs.

Look at Dye.- He stunk early, then hotter than hell, now stink. Whats next? Hotter than hell. That is the nature of baseball. Multiply by seven and you have a dangerous team come Oct. Go Sox.

JB98
08-24-2005, 01:45 PM

Great post. You put up the stats to back an argument I made over the weekend. This is EVERYONE'S fault, not just WSI whipping boys like Crede. And Podsednik wouldn't be able to do much about this even if he were healthy. Ozuna filled in capably last night, hit the ball hard, got on base a couple times, stole a bag, etc. What did it get us? Nothing.

If there is any injured player we miss, it is Frank. The bottom line is the calvary isn't coming, and the players we have need to figure this out. And these are veteran hitters too. I'm baffled at the dumbfounded looks on their faces. They all look like they've never been in a slump before, and they don't know how to come out of it. Even I know what they need to do: Shorten your swing, go back to basics and do what has made you successful. Squeezing the sawdust out of the bat and swinging from the heels isn't going to help anything. Of course, it's easier said than done, but the mental approach seems to be very poor right now.