PDA

View Full Version : I think the team's biggest problem is...

GoGoSoxReborn
08-24-2005, 10:42 AM
We don't really have a leader. Someone who can carry us through a tough patch and get the team fired up when they need it most. If you look at all the very good teams in the league they all have at least one, sometimes even two or three leaders on their teams. The Sox look like everyone is looking at everyone else waiting for someone else to step up.

In the past I think Frank has been that player. While some have argued his leadership in the clubhouse, I think his leadership on the field have far outweighed the other. Not only was he able to provide his own offensive spark, but pitchers feared him and would give hitters around him more fastballs. I also think Maggs was a leader who could carry the team at times.

This year this team has no real leader. No pitchers look at the Sox offense and really fear anyone. No player can just take the team on it's back and get everyone going. The closest thing to a leader in my eyes would have to be Iguchi and/or Konerko. They seem to be the only ones still hitting well, trying to get something going, but even then pitchers don't really fear them. Iguchi isn't really seen as a deep threat and Konerko puts up power numbers about as quietly as a 40 HR guy can.

Your thoughts.

LVSoxFan
08-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Isn't that what Ozzie's supposed to be?

scottjanssens
08-24-2005, 10:54 AM
I think the team's biggest problem is that Greg Walker is a lousy hitting coach.

GoGoSoxReborn
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM
I think the team's biggest problem is that Greg Walker is a lousy hitting coach.

:?:

Maybe he should go up there and swing the bats for them?

Kalish
08-24-2005, 11:08 AM

I don't know if he's the biggest problem, but I agree he has got to go.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=823746&postcount=15

Procol Harum
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM

I think the biggest problem is that this team doesn't have much material to work with on that score...a combination of Ty-stinkin'-Cobb and Dr. Phil isn't going to make the likes of Joe Crede, Juan Uribe and Jeff Blum great hitters. And Paul Konerko and Carl Everett are both streaky, free-swinging types who, at this stage of their careers, will always be just that. This team is just not a potent offensive machine. Probably the most disconcerting part of all this is the fact that despite all the talk about "small ball" the team has frequently lived and died around the home run. Bottom line--Greg Walker would be a genius if we had Damon, Ortiz, Ramirez and Renteria in our lineup along w/ Konerko, Rowand, Pods, and AJ.

PatK
08-24-2005, 11:20 AM
AJ's a leader.

Rowand's a leader.

Their problem isn't any leader, it's that they aren't hitting and not doing the things that made them successful earlier.

After seeing Timo do that half-***ed hit-and-run Saturday instead of bunting, I really started to wonder who's making some of the decisions.

Frater Perdurabo
08-24-2005, 11:21 AM
I don't know how Iguchi can be seen as a "leader" or a "MVP" if the manager is going to pinch hit for him with Timo Perez to lead off the top of the ninth.

:angry:

Hangar18
08-24-2005, 11:30 AM

Thats not the problem. Its our weak hitting. We went into 05 with a lot of questions, all of which have been answered. Will Konerko Hit? Will Dye Hit? Will Iguchi hit? Will Pods hit and get on base? Will Crede Hit?

We have way too many non-contact guys on this team (how many times will we see a guy on 2nd, and just stay there, while Uribe strikes out, Crede Pops up, Timo grounds out. not smart.

As has played out, some have hit, some havnt. I figured Crede wouldnt, and I didnt like the addition of Dye, he was just too big a question mark.
We had a weak hitting team that is in a slump now. As soon as they get out of it, we should be back to "normal", however, were in the midst of playing all of our division rivals ......and a lead thats 7 games now .......
will they get out of it before its too late?

SoxinAZ
08-24-2005, 11:36 AM
The reason we can't hit is because everyone wants to be the hero and hit a homer. How bout a little base hit or a double. Last in both leagues in doubles is pathetic.:angry:

ChiSoxBobette
08-24-2005, 11:44 AM

How is it Greg Walkers fault that Joe Crede still can't figure things out or that some of these other guys are just not everyday players,Timo Perez. Pablo Ozuna these guys have been put in the postion of playing everyday and they just are'nt that type of player. They play better when they come off the bench for short periods of time. The biggest thing this team lacks is Big Frank(or a bat like that) and Scott Pods. without those two things there is no offense.

ode to veeck
08-24-2005, 11:47 AM
I think the team's biggest problem is...

we need to win a few games in a row somewhere about right now

GoGoSoxReborn
08-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Has Ozzie called a team meeting yet? Why is he standing around looking completely defeated? Where did smartball go? Where is the fire and passion?

This looks like Jerry Manuel and his corpseball teams of years past.
I'm glad we are pitching and defense'ing teams to death all while losing 1-0

whitesoxwin
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
Again: What happened to "OzzieBall"??

Last night we had the leadoff hit a double (Pablo--only 2nd hit of game--both his) and 'Gooch at bat.
You think--Great opportunity to put down a bunt--but no....strikeout!

When you have a hot pitcher, who has our number, you do something...anything... to upset his style.

What got us where we are is opportunistic hits, little ball, moving the runners along and an occasional home run--and GREAT Pitching.

Greg Walker has somehow lost something and nothing the Sox are doing lately seem to work.

The Sox need to get back to where they started...why not start the season, again, now.

Let's don't allow another...I'd have to say the best pitching performance of the season and Freddies' best of his career...go by the wayside.

I feel there is a change coming...

Why not start tonight?

Let's go Sox!!

scottjanssens
08-24-2005, 11:51 AM
How is it Greg Walkers fault that Joe Crede still can't figure things out or that some of these other guys are just not everyday players,Timo Perez.

Well that is Walker's job isn't it? To be sure the hitters figure things out. Also, don't think the Sox hitters take good approaches against the opposing pitcher. Helping them prepare for the opposing pitcher is also Walker's job.

palehozenychicty
08-24-2005, 11:54 AM
i think it's a combination of things. we put too much responsibility for the offense on guys that haven't consistently brought it. e.g. perez, ozuna, uribe, dye, crede, everett. i like konerko all the same, but he seems to always strike out or hit a solo homer. a good hitting team walks and hits for extra bases. we don't do that very much, and that's a shame with all the speed. in the offseason, we need a couple hitters to make the lineup more respectable. a dh and shortstop with hitting prowess would make this team a true ws threat.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Well that is Walker's job isn't it? To be sure the hitters figure things out. Also, don't think the Sox hitters take good approaches against the opposing pitcher. Helping them prepare for the opposing pitcher is also Walker's job.

It's not Greg Walker's job to get Sox hitters on the roster capable of hitting. This has *always* been a mediocre offense. With a few key injuries (and a few opponents desperate to make a last-minute move), it isn't unreasonable to expect a slump. Santana schooled the Sox hitters last night.

Firing Greg Walker would be akin to the Flubs always firing their manager -- as though the people upstairs can absolve themselves of blame by doing so.

GoGoSoxReborn
08-24-2005, 12:04 PM

You can't make chicken salad with chicken ****!

TomBradley72
08-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Has Ozzie called a team meeting yet? Why is he standing around looking completely defeated? Where did smartball go? Where is the fire and passion?

This looks like Jerry Manuel and his corpseball teams of years past.
I'm glad we are pitching and defense'ing teams to death all while losing 1-0

Their biggest problem is "themselves"...I couldn't believe it when Beuhrle said about the Twins last week..."maybe they want it more"....or how dead Ozzie and the team looked last night when they had the tying run on and the lead run at the plate in the 9th. We have the 2nd biggest lead in the majors! They need to have the ba**s and the spirit to fight through the tough times. They need to demonstrate that they have the "heart of a champion".

JB98
08-24-2005, 02:09 PM
I don't know how Iguchi can be seen as a "leader" or a "MVP" if the manager is going to pinch hit for him with Timo Perez to lead off the top of the ninth.

:angry:

Frater, I have good news for you, and I have bad news for you.

Bad news first: Timo will be in the leadoff spot tonight because we are facing a right-handed pitcher.

Good news: Since Timo is in the starting lineup, our idiot manager won't be able to use him to pinch-hit for one of our best clutch hitters.

That was a terrible move by Guillen. Overmanaging at its worst.

scottjanssens
08-24-2005, 02:22 PM
It's not Greg Walker's job to get Sox hitters on the roster capable of hitting. This has *always* been a mediocre offense. With a few key injuries (and a few opponents desperate to make a last-minute move), it isn't unreasonable to expect a slump. Santana schooled the Sox hitters last night.

It's not that Walker should be able to turn this offense into a power house like the Red Sox. It's that he's been unable to get most of the hitters to hit up to their normal ability. Uribe has hit below his career average all season. Other than a hot start Crede has hit below his ability. As well as Dye and Timo. Most everybody on the team is capable of hitting better than they have this season. That points to a flaw in the coaching, not in upper management.

Yes, the Sox have a mediocre offense, but for far longer than this losing slump they've been hitting worse than mediocre.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 02:29 PM
Yes, the Sox have a mediocre offense, but for far longer than this losing slump they've been hitting worse than mediocre.

I completely disagree. The '05 offense was deliberately watered down last winter in an effort to rechannel payroll towards improving the '04 pitching staff that was beyond pathetic running Schoenweis, Grilli and Diaz out there to get hammered 2 of every 5 days.

If the hitters you *think* should be hitting better this year aren't, it's because opposing pitchers don't need to worry about pitching around guys like Thomas, Ordonez, and Lee. They're all gone and pitchers have revealed the remainder of our hitters as pretty damned mediocre, the Sox tablesetters (Podsednik and Iguchi) being the only notable exceptions.

SouthSide_HitMen
08-24-2005, 03:08 PM
I completely disagree. The '05 offense was deliberately watered down last winter in an effort to rechannel payroll towards improving the '04 pitching staff that was beyond pathetic running Schoenweis, Grilli and Diaz out there to get hammered 2 of every 5 days.

If the hitters you *think* should be hitting better this year aren't, it's because opposing pitchers don't need to worry about pitching around guys like Thomas, Ordonez, and Lee. They're all gone and pitchers have revealed the remainder of our hitters as pretty damned mediocre, the Sox tablesetters (Podsednik and Iguchi) being the only notable exceptions.

Some of that saved money (Lee & Mags contracts) not only shored up the staff (Hermanson, Vizcaino) but also was spent plugging holes in our lineup. The Sox aren't where they are today (7 games up) with Willie at 2B and Ben Davis our C.

Dye was a good gamble - low cost and good upside. Podsednik and Iguchi have improved our OBP in the 1-2 spots.

Our offense went from Top 3 (though our pitching was almost inverse) last season to middle of the pack (while our pitching makes the Top 3 THE reason for our great season).

For all the posters saying KW stinks or needed to make moves at the deadline (when the biggest moves Lawton and Farnsworth - Earth shattering) when nobody was able to make the move take note - Kenny made the moves in the offseason. This is the team he built. While I agree it would have been great to replace Frank's missing bat, Kenny tried and had a deal for Griffey only to have the Lindner overrule the GM.

No team is perfect. Boston's staff and bullpen has major holes. The Yankees staff has three holes. Oakland's lineup is even more streaky with holes at 2B and OF. Even the best team in the history of baseball - the Cleveland Indians - have a staff that I am certainly not afraid of (and neither are the Sox who have owned the Tribe this season).

scottjanssens
08-24-2005, 03:43 PM
I completely disagree.

Here are the differences in hitting numbers of the roster between this year and career numbers at the end of last year. Unsurprisingly, Timo leads the way in offensive fall-off. Paulie is doing better than his averages, but most everyone else is below. Pods' numbers (as usual) are misleading as OPS isn't a good measure for his duties especially since he's not trying to slug the ball this season. His BA and OBA are slightly up which is what we need to see from him. In addition to Pods, I would mostly disregard Thomas as he wasn't in the lineup for long and playing hurt. Rookies are not included in the list.

BA OBA SLG OPS
Timo Perez -0.053 -0.039 -0.075 -0.114
Frank Thomas -0.089 -0.114 0.023 -0.091
Juan Uribe -0.023 -0.021 -0.067 -0.088
Willie Harris -0.023 -0.018 -0.068 -0.086
Aaron Rowand -0.015 -0.015 -0.067 -0.083
S. Podsednik 0.007 0.005 -0.063 -0.058
Carl Everett -0.015 -0.029 -0.014 -0.043
Joe Crede -0.019 -0.014 -0.018 -0.032
Jermaine Dye -0.014 -0.018 0.011 -0.008
A. Pierzynski -0.030 -0.018 0.017 -0.001
Chris Widger 0.013 0.014 0.022 0.036
Paul Konerko -0.008 0.021 0.050 0.071

This is why I say Walker hasn't done his job.

Crede and Uribe were mediocre last year. They're decidedly crap this year. They shouldn't be hitting below .250. It's Walker's job to see that they do. The most improved hitter this year is Konerko.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 03:55 PM
This is why I say Walker hasn't done his job.

And the answer why Walker is blameless is because nobody you listed is getting fat pitches to clobber while hitting in a batting order neutered of Thomas, Ordonez and Lee. This lineup is serving hamburgers where we used to serve steak.

In fact only Konerko looks to have (marginally) improved and -- SURPRISE! -- he is the one getting the benefit of batting when Pods and Iguchi are on base. The pitcher can't so easily pitch around him when ducks are on the pond. And Konerko is *still* terrible even with RISP.

It's easy to pitch when nobody is on base. It's even easier to pitch when you fear NOBODY in the lineup.

You're the first person to confuse the '04 lineup with the '05 lineup. They are night and day different -- and Walker has nothing to do with it. Lord knows firing the hitting coach does NOTHING to change what ails the Sox.

scottjanssens
08-24-2005, 04:04 PM
And the answer why Walker is blameless is because nobody you listed is getting fat pitches to clobber while hitting in a batting order neutered of Thomas, Ordonez and Lee. This lineup is serving hamburgers where we used to serve steak.
Then the hitters should take more pitches and improve their OBA. Walker's fault.

In fact only Konerko looks to have (marginally) improved and -- SURPRISE! -- he is the one getting the benefit of batting when Pods and Iguchi are on base. The pitcher can't so easily pitch around him when ducks are on the pond.
Those runners don't magically disappear from the paths after Konerko hits. He doesn't have _that_ many home runs.

It's easy to pitch when nobody is on base. It's even easier to pitch when you fear NOBODY in the lineup.
Yeah when the OBA of the team is crap because the hitting coach can't instill any discipline you're right. Except for when Paulie is up to bat of course.

You're the first person to confuse the '04 lineup with the '05 lineup. They are night and day different -- and Walker has nothing to do with it. Lord knows firing the hitting coach does NOTHING to change what ails the Sox.
I never said they were the same. I never even implied it. I said that individually the hitters are underperforming to their historical totals. Yes they're not getting as much protection from sluggers but that doesn't account for all of the fall-off. It certainly doesn't account for all the bad swings we see. Maybe firing the Walker won't improve the hitting, but it's clear it won't hurt it.

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Then the hitters should take more pitches and improve their OBA. Walker's fault.

Those runners don't magically disappear from the paths after Konerko hits. He doesn't have _that_ many home runs.

Yeah when the OBA of the team is crap because the hitting coach can't instill any discipline you're right. Except for when Paulie is up to bat of course.

I never said they were the same. I never even implied it. I said that individually the hitters are underperforming to their historical totals. Yes they're not getting as much protection from sluggers but that doesn't account for all of the fall-off. It certainly doesn't account for all the bad swings we see. Maybe firing the Walker won't improve the hitting, but it's clear it won't hurt it.

Okay, you win. It's Walker's fault.

So when is the execution? I'm sure whacking Walker will serve the most important purpose: BLAMING SOMEBODY!!!!

:?:

:von
"The worthless bastards are all watching 'Meet the Parents!' instead of taking extra BP!"

maurice
08-24-2005, 04:23 PM
Here are the differences in hitting numbers of the roster between this year and career numbers at the end of last year. . . .

Now do this again for 2004, when Walker also was the hitting coach.

Then the hitters should take more pitches and improve their OBA. Walker's fault. . . . Yeah when the OBA of the team is crap because the hitting coach can't instill any discipline you're right. . . .

Per Moneyball, BB (the master of OBP) believes that plate discipline cannot be taught.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2005, 04:55 PM
If you've watched these hitters over the last couple of weeks, you've seen some of the worst AB you're ever going to see. They're lunging and flailing at balls as if they're swinging at angry hornets. Simply put, they're getting themselves out. And it's the mediocre hitter that can LEAST AFFORD to get himself out. It wasn't like this all year. Up until a few weeks ago they were much more patient at the plate, getting good AB, and doing a pretty good job of productive hitting. They were getting above-average run production from below-average hitting.

Slumps feed on themselves. Players start pressing. And the more you press, the worse you slump. The hitting coach has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with it. Then, one day, for no discernable reason, they get a few hits, everybody starts to relax. and the slump is over. NO ONE can predict when.

Sxy Mofo
08-24-2005, 05:06 PM
I side with those who say that it's more the players fault than the coaches...

but... we replaced a number of players to try to turn the big ball lineup into a smart/small ball lineup. Shouldn't we have changed the hitting coach to one who is more familiar with the style of hitting that smart/small ball needs?

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/coach_staff_bio.jsp?c_id=cws&coachorstaffid=429103184120

I mean, look at what he did as a player. A career .260 hitter, 9th in sox history in home runs. His highest BA year he hit .294. Coached the knights to fifth in home runs in the international league. In a system that stresses bases hits and run production, a guy that doesn't seem to be a "smart-ball" type of hitter coaching these guys seems like a square peg in a round hole to me. perhaps that's why the sox are still high in home runs and low in BA.

mweflen
08-24-2005, 05:13 PM
I'm always fascinated when people blame coach X for problem Y. How the heck does the average fan know? We can only read what is reported in the media, and you'd better believe you almost never see stories about any of the coaches beyond the manager.

It seems pretty simplistic to say "gee, the team isn't hitting, therefore the hitting coach needs to be fired." Maybe, maybe not. But how about KW and Ozzie for not sending Timo down and bringing Ross up? For not acquiring a real power threat like Griffey? How about the players themselves?

This falls into the same category as "Player X is a Cancer." How the heck do you know? Are you in the clubhouse every day?

:deadhorse:

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm always fascinated when people blame coach X for problem Y. How the heck does the average fan know? We can only read what is reported in the media, and you'd better believe you almost never see stories about any of the coaches beyond the manager.

It seems pretty simplistic to say "gee, the team isn't hitting, therefore the hitting coach needs to be fired." Maybe, maybe not. But how about KW and Ozzie for not sending Timo down and bringing Ross up? For not acquiring a real power threat like Griffey? How about the players themselves?

This falls into the same category as "Player X is a Cancer." How the heck do you know? Are you in the clubhouse every day?

Speaking of Ross Gload, has anyone figured out what he did to get banished to Charlotte? Did he run over Ozzie's dog? Did Kenny catch him in the bushes with his daughter? Did Ozzie catch him in the bushes with his dog?

Gload is not exactly Ken Griffey, but they sure could use him right now.

mweflen
08-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Speaking of Ross Gload, has anyone figured out what he did to get banished to Charlotte? Did he run over Ozzie's dog? Did Kenny catch him with his daughter? Gload is not exactly Ken Griffey, but they sure could use him right now.

Seriously. Maybe Timo's naked photos have something to do with Gload and a Ozzie's dog...

maurice
08-24-2005, 05:59 PM
I mean, look at what he did as a player.

A player's career performance doesn't usually translate into their job as a hitting coach. Walt Hriniak had a cup of coffee in the majors and hit .253 with no power. Charlie Lau had a longer career but only hit .255 with little power. Walker tries to teach their all-field / contact approach to hitting, and not Konerko's dead-pull / swing-for-the-fences approach.

Coached the knights to fifth in home runs in the international league.

That's actually a disappointing HR total, given the size of their home park.

IowaSox1971
08-24-2005, 06:10 PM
What has Gload done for us this year? All I can remember him doing is blowing a game in Kansas City when he couldn't field a routine ground ball. Prior to last season, Gload had spent most of his career in the minors. He did end up with good stats last season, but keep in mind he really raised his average in September, when we were basically out of the race. This season, he didn't have any noteworthy hits for us, and his defense seems to have taken a step back as well.

Meanwhile, at least Timo has had some clutch, two-out hits for us. He won the game against the Angels on Memorial Day, he forced extra innings with an RBI double against Oakland in July and last week his two-run double gave us the 4-3 lead that Hermanson eventually blew in the ninth. I agree that Timo should not have pinch-hit for Iguchi last night, but I'm not sure why all these people think that Gload would save the team this year.

Ol' No. 2
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
What has Gload done for us this year? All I can remember him doing is blowing a game in Kansas City when he couldn't field a routine ground ball. Prior to last season, Gload had spent most of his career in the minors. He did end up with good stats last season, but keep in mind he really raised his average in September, when we were basically out of the race. This season, he didn't have any noteworthy hits for us, and his defense seems to have taken a step back as well.

Meanwhile, at least Timo has had some clutch, two-out hits for us. He won the game against the Angels on Memorial Day, he forced extra innings with an RBI double against Oakland in July and last week his two-run double gave us the 4-3 lead that Hermanson eventually blew in the ninth. I agree that Timo should not have pinch-hit for Iguchi last night, but I'm not sure why all these people think that Gload would save the team this year.14 games, 23 AB Think about it.

Sxy Mofo
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
A player's career performance doesn't usually translate into their job as a hitting coach. Walt Hriniak had a cup of coffee in the majors and hit .253 with no power. Charlie Lau had a longer career but only hit .255 with little power. Walker tries to teach their all-field / contact approach to hitting, and not Konerko's dead-pull / swing-for-the-fences approach.

Like I said originally, i blame the players more than the coaches (except in dick jauron's situation)... but when I thought about it for a second, it strikes me as odd, that they kept the same hitting coach (that was here during a few of the power years) when they are trying to revamp the style of offense, ya know?

Not that I believe the sox should fire him or anything, but doesn't it strike you as just a little odd?

SouthSide_HitMen
08-24-2005, 07:15 PM
This falls into the same category as "Player X is a Cancer."

I read everywhere in the MSM how AJ was a cancer. I thought it BS then and I think it now.

The White Sox will snap out of their slump. The White Sox will continue to lead the division until the season is over and will make some noice in the playoffs. Coupled with great pitching and fielding we can go a long long way.

tacosalbarojas
08-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Seriously. Maybe Timo's naked photos have something to do with Gload and a Ozzie's dog...
Or maybe Ross changing his name to Gloadez would help.

jehosaphat
08-24-2005, 08:14 PM
The White Sox will snap out of their slump. The White Sox will continue to lead the division until the season is over and will make some noice in the playoffs. Coupled with great pitching and fielding we can go a long long way.

I hope you're right. I fear you're mostly wrong. Here is my gloomy prognostication.

The Sox are looking more and more like a team that got off to a fast start and then came down to earth. Fortunately, divisions can be won and lost in April, May, & June, and baring a complete collapse we should be able to hold on and win the division. But, let's be real, the team hasn't looked good since the end of June. It is likely that remainder of August and September are going to look a lot like July and August (so far). The person who started the thread was right: We need a Maglio, we need a Frank, we need a Harold Baines, we need a couple of .................. well, players that we just don't have. I doubt whether or not a different hitting coach would have made any difference. The cold, hard, truth is that the offense is not good enough to go very far in the playoffs. The pitching and defense are good, but not good enough to compensate for such a mediocre offensive team. Yep, it is time to drink up and go home.
:gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp: :gulp:
With that said, I like your prediction better. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Wait a second, Everette just hit a 2-run homer- Never mind - we're on our way to a championship!