PDA

View Full Version : The Enemy Is....

TomBradley72
08-24-2005, 01:18 AM
Us.

For Ozzie, the White Sox players and the White Sox fan base...the enemy isn't the Twins or the Indians or the Cubs or ESPN or WGN or the Trbune.

It is us.

As of tonight the Chicago White Sox are the BEST team in the American League. The second best team in all of baseball. They have the 2nd largest lead of all the Division leaders. They have solid pitching and defense. They are a little banged up. They are struggling at the plate. They have lost 8 of their last 9. Some of the pitchers they lost to were: Santana (2), Radke, Mussina.

But tonight in the 9th inning at Minnesota...looking into the dugout...it looked like...they.....had....given.....up.

Ozzie's head in his hand. Everyone staring at their shoe tops...or off into space. We were down 1-0 with a runner on 1st at the time.

This past weekend at the Cell....when we were trying to rally or get something...everyone...sitting....on....their....h ands...waiting...for....something...to...happen.

It's been a great run in 2005....we're hitting our first dead patch. Every team has one sometime in the season. Some great starting pitching, some of the top teams in the league, we're the most short handed we've been all year, we're due for a slump...which means we'll pull out of it...and go on to clinch the Division by a reasonable margin...not a "runaway" margin...probably 5-6 games by the time it's all over.

Unless Ozzie let's the team get down and they start to quit. Unless the fans don't believe in this team. Look at the calendar...on Friday night August 12th....things we're looking awesome. We can't let 10 rough days ruin a special team and a special season.

Lip Man 1
08-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Tom:

Can't argue with you logically except that baseball is an illogical game played by human beings with human frailties.

Perception becomes reality. Unfortunate but true. And the perception right now is that things aren't going very well and could snowball since as PHG correctly pointed out 'winning is contagious and so is losing...'

40 games to go... we'll see.

Lip

pudge
08-24-2005, 02:26 AM
The dark clouds, they come a rollin' in, and you really can't blame 'em at this point.

JB98
08-24-2005, 02:55 AM
The dark clouds, they come a rollin' in, and you really can't blame 'em at this point.

It's very hard to be optimistic when you look at the body language of this team right now. It was especially true during the Saturday game against New York. They got down, and the game was over. They were just moping around the field, going through the motions. Tonight, the minute the ball left Jones' bat, you knew the game was over. Like Pierzynski said the other day, it's a shame because they worked so hard to get to this point. They still have a pretty decent lead in the division, but they have no momentum and they look like a beaten team. Instead of making something positive happen, they are waiting for something negative to happen.

Me personally, I have trouble believing we are going to come out of this when I see the doubt our players have. All year long, I've been hearing about what a fluke this team supposedly is, and I've stuck up for them. Now, they are making me look like a fool, and I'm pissed about it. If we do blow this division, I don't think I'll ever be able to be optimistic about a team again. Tomorrow isn't a must-win, but if we don't win, we'll be one step closer to being in a must-win situation. That was unthinkable three weeks ago when we had a 15-game lead.

I agree with Tom's assessment. The Sox are their own worst enemy. And I am my own worst enemy. I'm terrified that we're going to choke. I'm not ashamed to admit that at all. Back in mid-June, I was certain this was our year. Now, I'm find myself bracing for a huge disappointment. It sucks. It's a terrible feeling, but it could be corrected if we could get even a modest winning streak going.

HotelWhiteSox
08-24-2005, 03:00 AM
There should be a WSI themed ride at Great America. If we have a blow out win tomorow then we will be unstoppable and be on top, after that, if we lose by 1, look out below!

mcp5185
08-24-2005, 03:03 AM
The time for a winning streak is now. The twins will be shorthanded the next two days without Jones and Stewart. and we face Mays and Silva (who the Sox have done well against). We then follow that up with Seattle, Texas, and Detroit. If this slump continues on over the next week I will start to worry.

Nellie_Fox
08-24-2005, 03:16 AM
If we have a blow out win tomorow then we will be unstoppable and be on top...Actually, a nice little winning streak would go a long way toward taking the knot out of my stomach. One win isn't going to cut it.

MUsoxfan
08-24-2005, 03:38 AM
It's truly an awful day when your pitcher gives up a 1 hit loss

Palehose13
08-24-2005, 03:58 AM
Tom-

I couldn't agree with you more. Every team has a "streak" of hard times. Fortunately for the Sox, it has come when they have a huge lead on the division. To be honest with you, I was a little worried when their lead in the division was so great because I was afraid that they would float into the playoffs. Personally, I want them to feel pressure right now and play hard (even though they are short-handed). I don't want them to ease into a division champioship. I want them to earn it , so that when October comes they are hungry. This is playing into what I envisoned.

For those that are afraid that the Sox lead is only 7 games, I say...would you rather have it like last year when the Sox were trailing by only 5 games?

I didn't think so. I'll take this anyday.

voodoochile
08-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Tom:

Can't argue with you logically except that baseball is an illogical game played by human beings with human frailties.

Perception becomes reality. Unfortunate but true. And the perception right now is that things aren't going very well and could snowball since as PHG correctly pointed out 'winning is contagious and so is losing...'

40 games to go... we'll see.

Lip

Yes and posts are made by human posters with human frailties.

Perception becomes reality. Unfortunate but true. And the perception right now is that the Sox are doomed, chuckie... DOOOOOOMED! and things are already snowbaling since as Lip loves to point out, the season is only one good solid loss from completely falling apart (over and over and over)...

40 games to go... GO SOX!

-VC

PaleHoseGeorge
08-24-2005, 07:53 AM
I don't ever recall stating winning or losing was contagious. I don't know... maybe I did, but I can't remember any context where I would say something like that.

I know this much. Baseball is a sport for marathoners, not sprinters. If Cleveland and Minnesota are facing a nearly impossible task, it's because they spent the first 4.5 months of this season getting their ass handed to them by the Sox. Now the Sox are stumbling and giving these mongrels reason for hope.

It doesn't change one ****ing thing. The Sox still hold their fate in their own hands. That's because the Sox have been there from Day 1 setting the pace, not running hard for a few hundred yards and turning a bunch of gutless wonders into a bowl of jello.

Viva Medias B's
08-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Yes and posts are made by human posters with human frailties.

Perception becomes reality. Unfortunate but true. And the perception right now is that the Sox are doomed, chuckie... DOOOOOOMED! and things are already snowbaling since as Lip loves to point out, the season is only one good solid loss from completely falling apart (over and over and over)...

40 games to go... GO SOX!

-VC

Time for talking points:

The White Sox are not "doomed," but when about 55% of our divisional lead evaporates (from 15 games, IIRC, to 7 games) over the course of about three weeks, there is legitimate cause for concern.
Expressing legitimate concern about this three-week slide, mainly due to a lack of hitting, does not many anyone less of a White Sox fan. One's loyalty to the White Sox should not be measured by the level of confidence that individual has.
We all want the White Sox to win; none of us wants them to lose. Nobody is jumping off any bandwagon; all of us are here to stay on the bandwagon. That goes without saying. No one who happens to be concerned about this slump takes delight in being potentially right or in being right about Sox failures in past seasons. Last night, I voiced real concerns about this, and I'll gladly be the first to admit those concerns were premature if we go on to win the division.
Attacking Kenny Williams, Jerry Reinsdorf, or even Ozzie Guillen in the midst of this slump is misguided. KW should be Executive of the Year; his moves got us this far. As for his not making big moves like getting Ken Griffey Jr., it needs to be understood that the high number of teams being in the wild card hunt greatly hinders big trade activity. That will only exacerbate itself with wild card contenders blocking waiver trades. While I do question some lineup and game strategy decisions made by Ozzie, he is not the main reason this slump is occurring. He is not the one swinging and missing at the plate. If there is anyone to whom the heat should be brought, it's hitting instructor Greg Walker
Finally, no one is throwing in the towel. At least I am not. Nevertheless, it would be foolish not to feel the least bit concerned about our lead in the division.

TomBradley72
08-24-2005, 09:42 AM
No matter what happens on this road trip....these guys need the fans behind them and helping them "refill their tank" for the September run. We need standing o's and tons of noise during the games...even if the rallies fizzle...we're up on our feet the next time. A quiet, tense ballpark doesn't help 'em. We've got to pour on the energy to these guys do or die....if we want to see October...and I mean the end of October.

harwar
08-24-2005, 10:13 AM
No matter what happens on this road trip....these guys need the fans behind them and helping them "refill their tank" for the September run. We need standing o's and tons of noise during the games...even if the rallies fizzle...we're up on our feet the next time. A quiet, tense ballpark doesn't help 'em. We've got to pour on the energy to these guys do or die....if we want to see October...and I mean the end of October.

Yes .. Yes I couldn;t agree more.
The time is now for backing the team.
There will be plenty of time for the wringing of hands after the season.
Sometimes you have to be strong and push on when all the odds are against you.
We need to back this team 100% and WILL them into winning.
Negativity(like fear)can sweep through a group like wildfire,i've seen it happen in forums more intense than any baseball game.
Be angry .. be worried ..but be also be able to let it all go and really believe that the White sox are going ALL THE WAY this year.

Kalish
08-24-2005, 10:17 AM
If there is anyone to whom the heat should be brought, it's hitting instructor Greg Walker

I don't know if that has been discussed in other threads on here or not but I think he's gotta go.

As a player he had a long loopy (though smooth) swing. And he didn't seem to adjust to the situation. When he got a hold of one, though, boy did he hit it a mile!

I'm not sure how he approaches situational hitting as a batting coach but it seems like everyone is swinging for the fences and trying to pull the ball (except for maybe Iguchi). That's one thing I've seemed to notice since (and even before) Walker started as hitting coach. He seems to emphasize maintaining a swing that assures you drive a ball as opposed to adjusting with the pitch and increasing chances of contact.

I know that wouldn't work for all players but it seems like none of them are even attempting to recognize or acknowledge the game situation or type and location of pitches they are being thrown.

Batting coaches are often easy scapegoats but when there is a teamwide problem, where else do you start?

RallyBowl
08-24-2005, 10:18 AM

Great post. Let's get behind these guys!

TomBradley72
08-24-2005, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=Kalish
Batting coaches are often easy scapegoats but when there is a teamwide problem, where else do you start?[/QUOTE]

The problem isn't the coach....overall this team needs better hitters. Ozuna? Blum? Perez? Crede?....not exactly murderers row.