PDA

View Full Version : Kip Wells?

palehozenychicty
08-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Does anybody know whether he's a free agent soon or not? I still think that he could be a great one in the right situation. The last two months he's gotten the walks down and thrown better, which was always his achilles' heel. He's basically a Contreras clone, a guy with maddening stuff and a maddening disposition, but is about $6-7 million cheaper. if we can get rid of contreras, i'd bring him back for the price tag. cooper could finally make him a great one. any thoughts?

Randar68
08-23-2005, 03:47 PM
Does anybody know whether he's a free agent soon or not? I still think that he could be a great one in the right situation. The last two months he's gotten the walks down and thrown better, which was always his achilles' heel. He's basically a Contreras clone, a guy with maddening stuff and a maddening disposition, but is about $6-7 million cheaper. if we can get rid of contreras, i'd bring him back for the price tag. cooper could finally make him a great one. any thoughts?

:chunks

MIgrenade
08-23-2005, 03:50 PM
I can't even begin to imagine why. Kip Wells is a bust and that's the end of that.

veeter
08-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Have you been watching Contreras lately?

IlliniSox
08-23-2005, 03:54 PM
Have you been watching Contreras lately?

You beat me to it. I'm about ready to hand Contreras the ball for game 1, the other big four have been giving me the willies lately.

palehozenychicty
08-23-2005, 03:56 PM
he's definitely been on. but we haven't scored for him all year until sunday. and he needs to keep the walks down. kinda like wells.

DVsoxfan
08-23-2005, 03:57 PM
You beat me to it. I'm about ready to hand Contreras the ball for game 1

Especially if were gonna play the yankees

Unregistered
08-23-2005, 04:00 PM
:chunks x100

MIgrenade
08-23-2005, 04:04 PM
You beat me to it. I'm about ready to hand Contreras the ball for game 1, the other big four have been giving me the willies lately.

I can't say that I would take that chance, but I'm really scared to have Buerhle pitch game 1. He can't get good offenses out. While he struggled against Boston and NY, Contreras and El Duque have been real good, and I trust Garcia on the road.

kittle42
08-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I have never, ever been happier to see anyone leave this team than Kip Wells. He can stay far, far away.

kjhanson
08-23-2005, 04:18 PM
but we haven't scored for him all year until sunday.

We haven't scored for anyone this year. Probably time to get rid of the other four bums as well.

skobabe8
08-23-2005, 04:45 PM
I have never, ever been happier to see anyone leave this team than Kip Wells. He can stay far, far away.

I actually wasnt happy to see Kip go. I thought he was gonna break out sooner or later and be like a Roy Oswalt type. Guess I was wrong.

California Sox
08-23-2005, 04:49 PM
I have never, ever been happier to see anyone leave this team than Kip Wells.

Did you see Royce Clayton "play"?

palehozenychicty
08-23-2005, 04:54 PM
royce clayton needs a barber, for real. i got a dude in harlem that could hook him up. he also needs to apply at the post office with all the other evildoers.

SOXintheBURGH
08-23-2005, 04:56 PM
royce clayton needs a barber, for real. i got a dude in harlem that could hook him up. he also needs to apply at the post office with all the other evildoers.

I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot klown pole.

tstrike2000
08-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Did you see Royce Clayton "play"?

Or Jamie Navarro and even Jim "It's not butter but" Parque after the whole pitching staff tore a labrum in '01.

kittle42
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM
Or Jamie Navarro and even Jim "It's not butter but" Parque after the whole pitching staff tore a labrum in '01.

We can pick a hundered of them, but for some reason Wells was my least favorite, right up there with Navarro and (no one ever believes me that I hated him well before he went on to "bigger and better" things) Sammy Sosa.

mjmcend
08-23-2005, 05:14 PM

So you think he will play for free or pay the white sox $1 million dollars to pitch for us? I would take him for that kind of money.

Malgar 12
08-23-2005, 07:06 PM

While I agree Wells is bust you have to admit you're exaggerating... Navarro, Clayton, Harris, Caruso, Kruk, Cory Snyder, Billy Krotch, Jimenez....need I say more?

MIgrenade
08-23-2005, 07:39 PM
I didn't want to see him go, only because the Sox got Todd Ritchie in return. How's that deal workin' out for ya? I guess it's really meaningless.

SABRSox
08-23-2005, 07:45 PM
I saw a thread titled Kip Wells and pretty much guessed exactly what this thread would be about:

Some newbie says it would be a good idea to get Kip Wells for a bag of baseballs.

Someone posts one of the following in response:

"This Thread Sucks"
"This Thread Blows"
"Who Cares?"
or the Puke Guy

I loooooooove WSI...

santo=dorf
08-24-2005, 10:39 AM
He's basically a Contreras clone, a guy with maddening stuff and a maddening disposition, but is about $6-7 million cheaper.

The Sox are paying $6 million for Jose Contreras this year so that means Kip Wells makes $0 or $-1,000,000. :?:

:chunks

ode to veeck
08-24-2005, 11:09 AM
The worst part of the Ritchie trade was losing Kip Wells, a promising young pitcher who had some brilliant starts againts better teams in the league for the Sox in '01 timeframe, but who also had major consistency problems. I for one think he had the stuff, but needed the right nurturing and maturing and could become a better more consistent starter, a la "the Judy Garland" transformation. Not that he will do it, but he's relatively young and has got the stuff at times that leaves the possibility open.

The only reason Ritchie didn't become the 1st 20 game loser in many years was they spared him the starts and gave him an out with a mysterious injury

We had tons of players since '00 who were totally worthless or who just aren't ever gonna get it: Royce, Martinez, Willie, just to name a few ....

I'd pick him up again even if it cost several bags of balls,

Brian26
08-24-2005, 11:43 AM

Can he DH?

Sox Blue 69-70
08-24-2005, 04:07 PM
The worst part of the Ritchie trade was losing Kip Wells, a promising young pitcher who had some brilliant starts againts better teams in the league for the Sox in '01 timeframe, but who also had major consistency problems. I for one think he had the stuff, but needed the right nurturing and maturing and could become a better more consistent starter, a la "the Judy Garland" transformation. Not that he will do it, but he's relatively young and has got the stuff at times that leaves the possibility open.

I was actually more concerned about losing Josh Fogg in that trade, he was fairly impressive in his short stint towards the end of the season, and had great movement on his pitches in the games I saw.

Guess we can be glad I'm not the GM.

Mr. White Sox
08-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Kip Wells' numbers vs. St. Louis
0.2IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 4.74
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Tragg
08-24-2005, 11:42 PM

I'll pass.
McCarthy should be the next entry into the rotation, when either El D or Jose leaves.

yoester
08-25-2005, 02:36 AM
McCarthy has not shown me anything, except a good spring training in which hitters don't really care about anything.