PDA

View Full Version : An Evening w/All Things Cubbie

TomBradley72
08-23-2005, 11:11 AM
The last 24 hours has given me some crystal clear insight into all things Cubbie,,,and for about the 1000th time...completely renewed my passion for the White Sox and reminded me why I'm happy to have the "lemmings" follow the lovable losers.

No WSox game during my ride home from work...listened to about an inning of the Cubs game. The most pathetic announcing I've ever heard. In the entire inning Ronnie did nothing but moan, groan and mumble. Not a single insight into the game. Hughes just kept saying over and over again...thank you for listening. He actually read a letter from a listener who was upset that they didn't accurately describe the colors of the various uniforms. (ie. sky blue vs. royal blue, etc.)..pathetic that anyone would write such a letter...even more pathetic that it was deemed worthy of discussing on the air.
I get home...flipping around the channels...I land on Comcast...happily the Cubs had lost 4-2. Anyone critical of Wood for the homer? Nope. You'd think Zambrano was the 2nd coming for allowing 2 runs in 7 innings. Two of the most milk toast announcers you've ever seen...the team is falling out of the race fast....you'd never know it.
Read the tribune the last few days....MacPhail is excited about the direction of the team (??)...over 11 years has a losing record...but he's content with Hendry who's content with Baker..who's content with his players. He actually tried to defend his farm system by including Garland , Dontrelle Willis and Hinske...all players he traded away. Of course the writer had no criticism of this assessment.
Big article today on Corey's comment about it's "just a game"...with quotes from sports psychologists on "why he said it".
I swear it's like some "bizzarro world"....but I love it. It struck me that this was the same culture this team had in the '70's...and that was why I'm a White Sox fan. Milk toast announcers, management that is content with mediocrity, and media that go along for the ride.

I'm sure this might end of in the road house. But God bless the Chicago White Sox and their leaders (KW, Ozzie, and Mr. Reinsdorf (who I would take over a corporation any day)) who (while not perfect) bring some "fire in the belly" to work every day.

The Cubs culture of losing is deeply ingrained. Which is great for us.

C-Dawg
08-23-2005, 11:23 AM
He actually tried to defend his farm system by including Garland , Dontrelle Willis and Hinske...all players he traded away.

Garland and Willis were mentioned in the article? That's awesome!! I gotta dig that one out of the puppy's box and cut that article out and save it.

DumpJerry
08-23-2005, 11:36 AM
It was fun listening to the Score and AM1000 last night. Flub fans calling in left and right expressing total despair. Pointing fingers all over the place. Music to my ears!:D:

SOXPHILE
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
On a similar note, did you see the end of the Cubs-Braves game ? Bottom of the 9th, Cubs losing 4-2, 2 out, man on first. The hitter is down in the count 1-2....and suddenly the crowd stands up and starts cheering and clapping ! Huh ? I mean, if your team is losing, but there is a guy in scoring position with the tying run, and the hitter is ahead in the count, well then yeah. I can see doing that. But your team was down by 2, there's 2 outs, and 2 strikes on the batter ! What the hell were these people doing ? Pathetic. These people have no idea what they are even cheering about. The thing is, they didn't even start to get up and cluelessly cheer until the batter got the 2nd strike ! What is wrong with these people ? That was (so far, this week, at least ) one of the stupidest displays of Cub-Dumb I have ever seen. I can just hear the radio broadcast during this episode too:

Hughes: "There's strike 2. Now, Ron, the Cubs are down to their last strike"
Santo: "Uhhhh...yeah.....aw jeez."
Hughes: "And now, the fans have gotten up, and are cheering for a hit. I tell you Ronny, these fans ! They are fantastic ! Nobody has gone home, as they hope for a Cubs rally here !
Santo: "Uhhhh...oh yeah Patrick. They are just great. These fans are just...just...they are just great. We are the best fans in the world".
Hughes: "Absolutely Ron ! Cub fans are the best there are. There's a ground ball to 2nd, fielded, over to first, and the ballgame is over. Cubs lose to the Braves 4-2."
Santo: "............aw.......(gurgle)...
(Fade to an Old Style commercial)

LuvSox
08-23-2005, 12:08 PM
No WSox game during my ride home from work...listened to about an inning of the Cubs game. The most pathetic announcing I've ever heard. In the entire inning Ronnie did nothing but moan, groan and mumble. Not a single insight into the game. Hughes just kept saying over and over again...thank you for listening. He actually read a letter from a listener who was upset that they didn't accurately describe the colors of the various uniforms. (ie. sky blue vs. royal blue, etc.)..pathetic that anyone would write such a letter...even more pathetic that it was deemed worthy of discussing on the air.
I get home...flipping around the channels...I land on Comcast...happily the Cubs had lost 4-2. Anyone critical of Wood for the homer? Nope. You'd think Zambrano was the 2nd coming for allowing 2 runs in 7 innings. Two of the most milk toast announcers you've ever seen...the team is falling out of the race fast....you'd never know it.
Read the tribune the last few days....MacPhail is excited about the direction of the team (??)...over 11 years has a losing record...but he's content with Hendry who's content with Baker..who's content with his players. He actually tried to defend his farm system by including Garland , Dontrelle Willis and Hinske...all players he traded away. Of course the writer had no criticism of this assessment.

1. You intentionally turned on the Cubs game

2. You intentionally turned on Cubs highlights

3. You read the Cubune.

Stop worrying so much about the Flubs and enjoy the Sox season.

PatK
08-23-2005, 12:25 PM
He actually tried to defend his farm system by including Garland , Dontrelle Willis and Hinske...all players he traded away. Of course the writer had no criticism of this assessment.

I read that part of the article and couldn't stop laughing.

The Cubs traded away those guys BEFORE they even developed in their farm system.

BigEdWalsh
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM

3. You read the Cubune.

LuvSox, your prescription is ready.
:prozac
Horrors, the guy listened to a little bit of a Cub game because the Sox weren't playing. He got home and wanted to watch some sports. He read a newspaper. He hates the Cubs. I would wager a pretty good guess, most of us do and that most of us are enjoying the hell out of this White Sox season. Pardon us if now and then we take a glance at what the Cubs are doing or any other team. That's what BASEBALL fans do.

shoota
08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Big article today on Corey's comment about it's "just a game"...with quotes from sports psychologists on "why he said it".
Did you notice that the author of that article, David Haugh, included Joe Borchard and comments he made earlier in the season into his article about Korey? Haugh didn't want to justifiably rip "can't miss prospect" Korey without also ripping a Sox minor leaguer.

TomBradley72
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM

3. You read the Cubune.

At the beginning of the season....I was still a bit obsessed with the whole Cubbie popularity/media thing....as the season has progressed...it's all turned to a mix of apathy and satisfaction that I've chosen the right path as a Sox fan. I "sensed" the Cubbie culture when I was about 8 years old...and chose the WSox. It's interesting that 35 years later....that culture still exists. And now it's become like a cultural study....

SOXfnNlansing
08-23-2005, 01:08 PM
I watched a lot of that game myself last night. All I kept thinking about is I can predict they will blow it. I only watch maybe 4 cub games a year, and everyone of them somehow starts with them winning or tied, then, as a sure lock bet, they blow it. I loved it.

Iwritecode
08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I can just hear the radio broadcast during this episode too:

Hughes: "And now, the fans have gotten up, and are cheering for a hit. I tell you Ronny, these fans ! They are fantastic ! Nobody has gone home, as they hope for a Cubs rally here !
Santo: "Uhhhh...oh yeah Patrick. They are just great. These fans are just...just...they are just great. We are the best fans in the world".
Hughes: "Absolutely Ron ! Cub fans are the best there are. There's a ground ball to 2nd, fielded, over to first, and the ballgame is over. Cubs lose to the Braves 4-2."

You know, that's probably not all that far from what actually happened...

Hangar18
08-23-2005, 02:42 PM

THEY MAKE THAT SAME GRATUITIOUS REMARK DAILY ............. I always like when I hear that, I quickly turn on the TV, and see hundreds of empty seats ......of fans whove already left .........:cool: they dont realize that theyve been EXPOSED countless times here for that outright Lie.

Santo and Hughes together, are the most Pandering set of clowns Ive
ever heard

CubKilla
08-23-2005, 02:44 PM

I must have missed the news that the Sox were playing last night? What channel were they on :rolleyes: ?

CubKilla
08-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Horrors, the guy listened to a little bit of a Cub game because the Sox weren't playing. He got home and wanted to watch some sports. He read a newspaper. He hates the Cubs. I would wager a pretty good guess, most of us do and that most of us are enjoying the hell out of this White Sox season. Pardon us if now and then we take a glance at what the Cubs are doing or any other team. That's what BASEBALL fans do.

That poster's profile say they live in Indiana. If only they had to live everyday of their lives surrounded by dolt Cub fans like I do.....

But I guess we're less Sox fans than Luv since we follow BASEBALL..... especially on Sox off days :rolleyes: .

TomBradley72
08-23-2005, 03:01 PM
I don't like the Twins, or the Indians or the A's or the Red Sox or the Yankees...but I still might listen to one of their broadcasts when I'm in that part of the country...still might watch a few innings on satellite...still might read the sports sections (online) of their cities newsapapers. It's a little different based on the fact that we have to live day to day with the imbecilic fans and media of one of our other rivals...the Cubbies...

They're like the borderline pychotic girl that you almost went out with (but didn't) years ago...and then you run into her at a party or a bar....and after a few minutes...you are tremendously relieved that you made the right decision.

LuvSox
08-23-2005, 03:32 PM

I'm a huge baseball fan, no need to question it. But if I despise something I tend to stay the **** away from it. Most of the time I do avoid the Flubs, I certainly don't go looking for them.

Don't give me this "I'm a such a great baseball fan that I have to have it, no matter where it comes from" bs either. In this day and age there is about a hundred different ways to get information, on any team, not just the Flubs.

LuvSox
08-23-2005, 03:44 PM
That poster's profile say they live in Indiana. If only they had to live everyday of their lives surrounded by dolt Cub fans like I do.....

But I guess we're less Sox fans than Luv since we follow BASEBALL..... especially on Sox off days :rolleyes: .

Why, because Tinley Park is the center of the Flub universe? Please. Those dumbass Wrigley fans are everywhere, even over here in little 'ol hick Indiana towns. Hell, we're lucky just to have indoor plumbing, not to mention one of those boxes with the picture shows on it.

I'll reiterate: Just because the Sox are off doesn't mean you have to watch the Flubs. You can watch any team you want.

I'm as big a baseball fan as anybody. I was at work last night and was able to sneak away and check scores. I wanted to see what Cleveland did, what was going on in the N.L. wildcard race. Someone actually wanted to see the Yankees score, so we looked it up. Information on every team is right at your fingertips. You don't have to open that Cubune.