PDA

View Full Version : Contact ESPN

Georgey3085
08-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Here is the link to contact ESPN and let them all know how you feel, I really urge everyone to yell like hell and let them know how you feel...I think this is BEYOND sad, that in the eyes of ESPN and their viewership, we as Sox Army do not exist...I mean, I can see if we were a little league team like those that play in the Urinal, but come on! :angry:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html

Georgey3085
08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Here is what I wrote, I'd love to see what you guys put:

"I watched your 50 states in 50 days this morning and it made me beyond sick to see what kind of garbage you stated about Illinois. First off, the Cubs are NOT the only team in Illinois, you also have the AL's best team the White Sox, I did not even see a mention EVER about the Sox. I don't know what kind of garbage you idiots think you are putting on TV, but just to ignore a whole franchise and pretend they don't exist is idiotic. If you guys do not like to aknowledge our existence, don't put ANY of our games on your network. I'm sorry but I thought you guys would have some intelligence, now I KNOW you don't, thanks ESPN, you are never going to see me watching your station again. GOODBYE"

CHISOXFAN13
08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
I think the results of thr poll of Chicago's favorite team speaks volumes.

Makes ESPN look pretty ****ty when the Sox are voted the city's favorite, yet have no top 10 moments.

Sox PA
08-23-2005, 10:36 AM
I wasn't as colorful as Georgey3085 in my criticism, but I did tell them that without an explanation and correction to their biased reporting, that we would not be renewing our subscriptions to ESPN Insider or ESPN The Magazine. Don't know if it will do any good, but it's worth a try.

oeo
08-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Here is what I wrote, I'd love to see what you guys put:

"I watched your 50 states in 50 days this morning and it made me beyond sick to see what kind of garbage you stated about Illinois. First off, the Cubs are NOT the only team in Illinois, you also have the AL's best team the White Sox, I did not even see a mention EVER about the Sox. I don't know what kind of garbage you idiots think you are putting on TV, but just to ignore a whole franchise and pretend they don't exist is idiotic. If you guys do not like to aknowledge our existence, don't put ANY of our games on your network. I'm sorry but I thought you guys would have some intelligence, now I KNOW you don't, thanks ESPN, you are never going to see me watching your station again. GOODBYE"

I really think that is going to get you somewhere...they don't care that they just lost one viewer, there are many who join each day. And although they are idiots you don't just go off on them like you did, if you want to be heard you need to do it in a constructive way. I guarantee your whole e-mail wasn't even read.

chitownhawkfan
08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Well I let them know how I felt

Wow, thanks for coming to Illinois for your fifty states in fifty days. I want to say I found it surprising that you didnt even mention the first placed Sox, but I really wasnt. The Sox didnt even get one mention besides your clown of a host calling us Chicago's "other team" how about a little objectivity? We were voted Chicago's most popular team, we have the best record in the American league, yet your poll was crowded with Cubs questions. No Sox mention in any of Chicago's Top Ten sporting moments? Give me a break, a question for the Cubs greatest players but not the Sox. You managed to mention every professional sports stadium except Comiskey Park. Thanks for ignoring my first placed Sox. And yes we are the Sox not Boston, we have been called the Sox before they were even a team. This will be my last encounter with ESPN and I will make sure to prolesytize to all of my friends to watch Comcast. You guys are a joke, ESPN Hollywood, ESPN Cars, shows about shoes, what next ESPN cribs? I cant wait until Comcast beats you clowns at your own game.

Thanks for nothing
Brian Girard

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
I really think that is going to get you somewhere...they don't care that they just lost one viewer, there are many who join each day. And although they are idiots you don't just go off on them like you did, if you want to be heard you need to do it in a constructive way. I guarantee your whole e-mail wasn't even read.

optimism rocks!

i think youd be suprised at how much one email can do. if several (hundred?) were to reply with a message similar, they may start to realize the error of their ways. then again, they may not. anything is worth a try and youll never know unless you actively do so.

BeviBall!
08-23-2005, 11:05 AM
Here's my harangue:

What can I say about your trip to Illinois? Not one mention of the White Sox in either of your two video packages. The only visual we got was that kid holding up his hat outside of Wrigley. You know, the Sox do have a history in this town besides 1917 and 1919. They've had the best record in the AL all season and yet, we get no air time. I enjoyed the fact you interviewed the announcer of the air & water show, but you couldn't get a camera crew into US Cellular to see the Sox hit 4 HR off of future baseball tonight wonk, Randy Johnson, in one inning. That's OK... I'd much rather see the Fridge come in at #1 in our greatest sports moments top 10. Yup, something to celebrate indeed.

Absolutely shameful to go out of your way not to mention the White Sox. Many are disgusted and disappointed, but none at all are surprised.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-23-2005, 11:26 AM
this is what i wrote (if you cant tell, im pissed):

I am wrting in regard to your "50 states in 50 days" segment on Sportcenter. I am from Illinois, Chicago to be exact, and feel that many aspects of the state were wiped out to compliment one or two specific sports franchises.
First, I do not understand why the segment was taped at Wrigley Field. There is no winning tradition there and found it insulting that you think that all Chicagoans flock there like it's the Mecca of baseball (which, i suppose if you like to include losing traditions...). Just because a building is popluar doesnt make a team worth covering. This is not the only sports team in the city. Please realize this.

Secondly, the Blackhawks were not mentioned anywhere, a team with a TRUE winning tradition. Aside from the Bulls, the Hawks were the last Chicago team to appear in a major championship (albeit they were swept in four games by pittsburgh), and should be included when discussing Chicago/Illinois sports. They also just signed one of the WORLDS premier goalies, and nothing is said. They have managed to do more good for their club in the past three months than the cubs have done in the past 3 decades.

Thridly, you completely ignored baseballs AL #1 team, the Chicago White Sox. You have been doing this all year, so i was not suprised and will not comment on this. it is up to YOU to realize how ridiculous it is to embrace a team that is several games out under .500, and is slipping oh so Grace-fully from playoff contention. Amazing that a team can do so much for a city only to be pounded down from the national media.

Fourth, your main focus was on Chicago, not Illinois. You mentoined very little about the state itself, and rather than doing real research about the small towns and the sports that thrive throughout, you chose the easy way out and said the exact same things you say everynight. Rockford, Peoria, Joliet, Carbondale, CHAMPAIGN (were you watching the NCAA this past year?!?!) were, at most, mentioned in passing. I fell that this was a shoddy segment and that if you cant do something right, don't even bother doing it at all.

In my opinion, the segment should have been taped outside the United Center, in front of the Michael Jordan statue. The Bulls are the true definition of a winning tradition in this city, and no team, not even the Flubs, are as popular as the basketball team residing on the West Side. I was dismayed that your focus was so off centered. GO WHITE SOX!!!

miker
08-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Like the bums in Bristol care what we think...:(:

BigEdWalsh
08-23-2005, 11:47 AM
They don't. That's obvious, but I let 'em know anyway.

SoxRulecubsdrool
08-23-2005, 11:58 AM
Everyone should also post if they get an answer back. I have emailed them in the past and have been quite surprised on how smug their responses have been.
Did any of us actually figure they would do anything else besides the usual lovefest with the cubs? Just look at how many times they showed cub games on ESPN this summer.
It might not help but I will also be writing them. Kind of curious what kind of response if any I get.

Jerko
08-23-2005, 12:29 PM
I just don't get the love for the annual suckfest known as the Cubs. Where is the love for: Clipper nation, ex-Whaler nation, Devil Ray nation, Bengal nation? EVERY sport has teams that absolutely blow; why are these arrogant, self serving, sense of entitlement *******s the ones deemed lovable, or for that matter, important? Because of a piss soaked, ivy laden, hellhole? I understand rooting for the underdog, but when the underdog is the biggest ******* on the block it's fun seeing him get his ass handed to him. Again, and again and again.

Elvisfan1977
08-23-2005, 12:39 PM
Not like the people at ESPN care - but I feel much better:

I was looking forward to your visit to IL this week for the "50 States in 50 Days" summer broadcast. Unfortunately you dropped the ball, yet again, with your lack of coverage of the Chicago White Sox.

Not one mention of the White Sox during your "50 States in 50 Days" broadcast? How could you? The Chicago White Sox are just as much a part of our city's sports history as the Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears, and those lovable losers up north - the Cubs. Aside from the Cubs, our history ranks longer then the Three B's listed above.

Before the season began, your analysts did nothing but put the Sox down as if they were a Triple - A ball club. The only Triple-A ball club in Chicago plays at Wrigley Field (http://thefullm.com/?go=wrigley+field&url1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.whitesoxinteractive.com%2Fvb ulletin%2Fnewreply.php&pin=37049). What season do you think we're playing this year? Last time I checked it was 2005 - not 2003. You have acted like most Chicago Cub fans, you're living in the past with very little knowledge of baseball.

Are you aware the Chicago White Sox are in first place in the American League Central? In case you didn't know, they have maintained the best record in baseball for a majority of the season, and now hold the second best record in the Majors.

You have stooped to a new low with your biased coverage. Not everyone cares about the Yankees, the Red Sox, or the Cubs. In fact did you know the Cubs lost the World Series to the White Sox in 1906? Not only that, 1906 was the same year the Cubs posted a record for the most wins in a regular season (116-36), yet they still lost to a team that had no offense. The White Sox's team batting average in 1906 was .228. That didn't even make your top ten moments in Chicago sports history.

You have done a horrible disservice to the City of Chicago, and the fans of the Chicago White Sox.

From this day on I will no longer watch ESPN or any of your affiliates. I look forward to the day when Comcast Sports overtakes ESPN in the ratings.

MIgrenade
08-23-2005, 12:45 PM

While I agree with you, I think this can be related to the Simpsons, as most things can be. Like that time that Marge writes a letter to the producers of Itchy and Scratchy to tone down the violence and then thousands of letters are sent in. You'd be surprised at what one screwball can do.
I won't be sending any letters because I haven't turned on ESPN in months and don't really care.

kittle42
08-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I just don't get the love for the annual suckfest known as the Cubs. Where is the love for: Clipper nation, ex-Whaler nation, Devil Ray nation, Bengal nation? EVERY sport has teams that absolutely blow; why are these arrogant, self serving, sense of entitlement *******s the ones deemed lovable, or for that matter, important? Because of a piss soaked, ivy laden, hellhole?

In short, yes.

Put the Rays, Royals, etc. in that park and their attendance would equal the Cubs'.

bennyw41
08-23-2005, 12:52 PM
I think a good technique would be to not bash their use of wrigley. If anyone says they shouldn't of shown Wrigley in a view about Illinois is kidding themself. The question is why the Sox weren't mentioned AT ALL. I would try to use this angle, otherwise you come off as a desperate cub basher.

VenturaSoxFan23
08-23-2005, 01:04 PM
In short, yes.

Put the Rays, Royals, etc. in that park and their attendance would equal the Cubs'.

They already put the Peoria Chiefs in there every home game. Put the public school city championship there and people will be clawing for seats.

oeo
08-23-2005, 01:15 PM
optimism rocks!

:?:

i think youd be suprised at how much one email can do. if several (hundred?) were to reply with a message similar, they may start to realize the error of their ways. then again, they may not. anything is worth a try and youll never know unless you actively do so.

It's all a bunch of bull, they're not going to change something from a few fans that are raging at them. If you're going to "try", then do it in a constructive way, not calling them idiots and whatnot. You lose all respect when you start calling them idiots, and you're ignored.

Sox PA
08-23-2005, 01:48 PM
If I get anything else I will post it.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ask ESPN TV" <askespntv@espn.twdc.com (askespntv@espn.twdc.com)>
To: SoxPA
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 11:27 AM
Subject: Thank You

Hi.

Thank you for your e-mail. It has been successfully routed to a customer
service representative.

Due to the large volume of e-mail we receive, we are unable to respond
to general comments, but they will be passed on to the appropriate
network executives.

If you have submitted a specific question that cannot be answered by
visiting our FAQ area
(http://sports.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/help/espn-faq.html (http://sports.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/help/espn-faq.html)), we look
forward to responding as quickly as possible. Occasionally, we need to
do additional research, which can slightly delay our response or require
us to contact you.

If your comment or question is about a different area of ESPN such as
the Magazine, Radio, International or ESPN.com, please visit this site
so your message can be re-directed:
http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/index.html (http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/index.html)

For immediate help, you can call our customer service representatives,
who are generally available during normal business hours, at
860-766-2236.

P.S. Would you like to continue to express your opinions about ESPN and
play a part in the programming decisions that get made? Come join the
ESPN Viewer Panel where you can take surveys and earn prizes. Please go
to http://www.espnviewerzone.com (http://www.espnviewerzone.com/) to sign up. You must complete the
registration process to qualify.

Thanks!!

Elvisfan1977
08-23-2005, 02:23 PM

It's all a bunch of bull, they're not going to change something from a few fans that are raging at them. If you're going to "try", then do it in a constructive way, not calling them idiots and whatnot. You lose all respect when you start calling them idiots, and you're ignored.
[/color]

Hey, try not to be too optimistic.

Cubsuck_a_lot
08-23-2005, 02:31 PM

[/color]

if you read the email i sent them, which i posted on this thread a few hours ago, you will see that there was no use of any "colorful" language, nor did i berate them. i stated facts. I went beyond singling out the SOX lack of any coverage and wrote about the other aspects of this state that they were missing. It was not to bash them, simply inform them of what they missed. yeah, sure, Peoria or some small town winning a football championship wont draw viewers to their seats. but did anyone watch any of the other "50 in 50" segments? Montana? Minnesota? Idaho? Kansas? They talked about the small things that people in their state did. They featured small town things and facts and interesting tid bits from all over the state. i was pissed as hell that the SOX didnt get any coverage, it's a perpetuation of what ESPN does. but didnt anyone find it odd that their main focus was the Flubs? that that was almost all they discussed? i was absolutely SHOCKEd that they got THAT much coverage. yes, the Flubs are over-rated and get too much air-time on ESPN. but, man, what a weird thing for them to shun almost every other thing about ILLINOIS sports just to get an over-dose of Cubs Nation (whichi think could be changed to Cubs Internment Camp, but i dont know how well that would go over up North).

Iron Dragon
08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I already posted mine in another thread, but I'm glad a lot of us are coming out firing. Go Sox Army!

Mr. White Sox
08-23-2005, 03:01 PM
We should also send some e-mails to their ombudsman and see what he thinks; hopefully he'll write about it in his next column...here's his third article, and it does address the east coast bias, which is nice to see. LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=solomon_george&id=2105986)

daveeym
08-23-2005, 03:01 PM
I already posted mine in another thread, but I'm glad a lot of us are coming out firing. Go Sox Army! Oh come on now what can we accomplish, I mean it's not like we got Scotty into the allstar game...oh wait...

Domeshot17
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Wow, all I can say about the Illinois 50 in 50 is wow. And that is not a good thing. I understand the want to Cover the Cubs, They are the ESPN favorite non east coast team. However, I think you missed out on a chance to really showcase a great event. Moreover, One most of your so called experts ( John Kruk, Please, the man just unvaieled his all fat man team) have all put to shame except for Rob Neyer. Had you done your research and found that the White Sox had a following almost as big as the Cubs ( actually according to YOUR POLL, BIGGER), you could have broken ground on a new media story. Instead you use the same tired bits, Wrigley Field, the Cubs losing and the Bars. You witnessed Fans doing the wave and throwing back a Chipper Jones Homer. Had you gone across the city to the other side of the town, You could have seen The White Sox go off on the Espn "Lock" To win it all.

The sad thing is, If you have enough pride to read this entire email, You will find White Sox Fans knew this was coming for some time. You have failed to give us any respect for an entire season, and the best part is, When the playoffs roll around, if the White Sox shut down the Yanks or Red Sox, you will be all over the band wagon as if you were driving it the entire time. Well, after this, WE DON'T WANT YOU. YOUR NETWORK ( Minus Rob Neyer) IS TO POMPUS TO ADMIT ANY WRONG DOING.

Following this email, I will be cancelling my insider subscription, I already threw the latest issue of the mag into the fire place. I have stopped watching Baseball Tonight, because for 4 months it got, againg tiring and worn out, hearing Kruk say how bad the Sox really are. He talked about how weak the AL Central is, and now it is realistic to believe the Indians or Twins could overtake the Yankees or A's or Red Sox or whoever else ends up in the Wild Card Hunt. I'll watch Bravo or The Travel Channel for Poker, and the word has been spread throughout the White Sox Community of this slap in the face.

I am sure you will not reply as you will tell yourselves this was good Journalism, but it is not. I hope you enjoy the boycott from Chicago's "Other Team". So honestly, Thank you for nothing.

Tony Arbogast-Lyons IL

SOecks
08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Awesome letter, Tony. Couldn't have said it better.

Georgey3085
08-25-2005, 12:34 AM
You know what, coming from a business standpoint, losing any sort of "customers" is a bad thing, and I would hope that ESPN understands that the Sox Army will not be walked all over. And it doesn't matter if its one email or more then one, we've done something just by telling them that they are idiots.

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2005, 12:51 AM
You know what, coming from a business standpoint, losing any sort of "customers" is a bad thing, and I would hope that ESPN understands that the Sox Army will not be walked all over. And it doesn't matter if its one email or more then one, we've done something just by telling them that they are idiots.

Exactly... like the old shampoo commercial goes... I'll tell two friends, and they'll tell two friends... and so on... and so on... and so on... and so on...

Oldfellah
08-25-2005, 01:04 AM
I got the same generic reply back from them.. Need to go after the ones who advertise on ESPN to make an impact.. Though, if they're from the Boston, or NY they probably wouldn't budge even if they did get a bunch of complaints...

RadioheadRocks
08-25-2005, 01:53 AM
For immediate help, you can call our customer service representatives, who are generally available during normal business hours, at
860-766-2236.

Hmmmm... maybe the Sox Army can flood this phone line during "normal business hours". :D:

Wsoxmike59
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Why am I not surprised you (Eastcoast Sports Promotional Network) had NO mention of the first place White Sox when you visited our fair state in your coverage of 50 states in 50 days.

Newflash to you East Coast wonks, there is another baseball team in Chicago, and they're called the White Sox. They're in first place in the American League Central and have been for the entire season.

Your total lack of coverage and respect to the White Sox franchise has just cost you another viewer. I will not be watching your East Coast biased program any longer. And now if I may, here's an impersonation that I've perfected over the years. <ahem, in my best Homer Simpson voice> "mmmmm ESPN....lame!"

spiffie
08-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Emailing ESPN is meaningless. However, I decided to give the benefit of the doubt and address my concerns in as polite a way as possible (more bees with honey they say...) to the Ombudsman, in the hopes that perhaps something will be mentioned about this:

Dear Mr. Solomon,
I am writing in response to the Illinois edition of the 50 in 50 specials your network is running. Particuarly, I am appalled at the fact that in an entire hour focusing on Illinois, your network succeeded in spending less than 15 seconds on the Chicago White Sox, a franchise with over a century of history in Chicago. I realize the Cubs are perceived to be more appealing to a national audience, but to have as large an imbalance of notice as your show did does a disservice to the journalistic credentials of your network, and shows a pandering to the lowest common denominator. I do hope in the future you will remind your network that there are two legendary franchises playing Major League Baseball in Chicago. Thank You.